Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E06: Jill Says Yes To The Dress

I wonder if Jill was Joseph or another boy, if they would be making such a big deal about her wedding. I  understand that it's special because she's the first girl, (i feel sorry for whoever is going to be the last girl), but does it really need to be dragged out the whole season? Smuggar and Anna's wedding got one epsiode about the proposal, and one about the wedding. I feel like all they've talked about is the wedding.  At least the baby talk won't start right away. Because she's already pregnant!

I think the last girl will be the luckiest; she will probably be able to avoid the whole circus and just elope to Vegas.

Josie Duggar, circa 2030, blowing kisses back at the compound as she and her man drive off into the sunset....

• Love 10

My prediction is in 2030 Josie will still be blowing kisses, and walking on countertops with a pigtail headband. Hopefully, she won't be having blowouts anymore. We still won't be able to understand a word she says. Michelle will still be trying for baby #20.

• Love 13

My prediction is in 2030 Josie will still be blowing kisses, and walking on countertops with a pigtail headband. Hopefully, she won't be having blowouts anymore. We still won't be able to understand a word she says. Michelle will still be trying for baby #20.

Thank you for my comic relief for the night~  LOL

Since this is clearly something y'all want to talk about, I'm going to start a thread specifically for that episode of SYTTD in THIS forum.  I think it's OK even though it's another show, you guys will only be talking about the Duggars' part of the episode anyway.  So look for all the posts about the Duggar Kleinfeld experience there.  Thanks.

FWIW, it was a Duggar episode that crossed over to SYTTD, not the other way around. I wouldn't have seen it had it been the latter. :)

• Love 1

If Jill wasn't so tall, she was certainly thin enough to wear Mary's old dress that MEchelle also wore. I wonder if Jessa will wear it? Long sleeves for a November wedding would be appropriate, and the neckline was modest. Hmmm.....

I have to get this out of my system now:

John David you are a real jerk for not doing the jump at the end !!

Saying all that crap about Derick & Ben having something to prove. Then your reasoning for not jumping is because you have nothing to prove. You proved YOU ARE AN ASS !!

• Love 12

I think the last girl will be the luckiest; she will probably be able to avoid the whole circus and just elope to Vegas.

Josie Duggar, circa 2030, blowing kisses back at the compound as she and her man drive off into the sunset....

And Josie Duggar, circa 2030, will still be trying to catch "imaginary butterflies".
  • Love 6

John David has a face I'd like to punch. I just can't stand him.

And Michelle. She just shouldn't talk. It must be exhausting for her to maintain that voice. It's worse than nails on a chalkboard.

Edited by lottiedottie
  • Love 5

This episode was sooooo sweet. If we did a drinking game were everyone took a shot of something alcoholic everytime a Duggar ( I'm looking at you Jill) we'd all be drunk as skunks by the end of the show.

I kind of felt a little bad for John David because Boob kept pointing out that he did not have a girlfriend or wife. Like he was loser or wasn't important. He was kind of a dick at the end for not jumping off the cliff though. I think he used the nothing to prove excuse because he was afraid.

Best actress award goes to Mechelle. She was fake crying, no tears, when she was reading that letter to Jill.

Who was watching Mac and Michael? Anna only had Marcus at the wedding dress shop.

• Love 2

* Jessa's statement: "My mom hasn't been able to have kids for a while and Josie's growing.  It could be me or one of my sisters bringing in the grandkids."  Newsflash: THERE ARE ALREADY THREE GRANDKIDS.  J'Chelle gives them absolutely no attention when they're around and vice-versa.  If I were Anna, I'd be kind of pissed that my children were totally swept under the rug.

* Jill reminds me of myself at around 14.  My head was in the clouds, I was silly, I giggled when I talked about boys, I squealed "Awww, you're so sweeeeet!" when a boy said something nice to me, etc., etc., etc.  I wasn't emotionally mature enough for marriage then and neither is Jill now.  At least I had the excuse of being 14.

* JimBoob's all-guy who-has-the-biggest-penis camping trip.  Bin referred to himself as the least outdoorsy of the guy's group.  After last week's "guest room" DIY debacle, I can believe it.  If he can't even manage to figure out how to use a measuring tape, I doubt his abilities to pitch a tent (probably both kinds).  I love the irony of the fact that he's the most manly of the group in terms of appearance, but he's the biggest wimp.  Also, he defrauded the ladies in the audience with his shorts!  If you need me, I'll be in the prayer closet.

* John-David actually acknowledged his single status.  He said that his father has tried to "hook him up with some girl."  Yeah, I'm sure there's a well-worn path to his door of girls looking to submit applications to JimBoob to marry that mouth-breathing lout.

* My heart broke for Joy Anna when they were reading their letters at the dress shop.  For all practical purposes, Jill is her mother.  In Joy Anna's eyes, her mother is moving out and moving on.  This scene made me loathe J'Chelle more than ever.  She is nothing more than a brood mare who popped out 19 kids and then disregarded them in favor of canoodling with her husband, working out on her treadmill, and criss-crossing the country for her bullshit speaking engagements.  Joy Anna didn't smile one time during the bridal shop experience.  Still, I feel more sorry for the "littles."  At least Joy Anna had the experience of being mothered, even if it was by a teenage girl.  The youngest kids will be fending for themselves in a few years, unless the "parents" plan to continue to rob Jana of her young adulthood by keeping her on permanently as an indentured servant. 

* Count me among those who are completely sick of the stupid little factoids peppered throughout each show about how you could fill a football stadium with the number of hot dogs they eat in a year, blah blah blah.  Cut it out, TLC.  No one cares.

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 17

Oh, those fucking pop ups!  I hate them, too!

I totally agree with what you said about Joy Anna. She couldn't read her letter to Jill and didn't want Jill to read it out loud because you know what it said in there. You know she wrote "I FEEL LIKE I'M LOSING MY REAL MOTHER!" Joy is no dummy. She knows what's up. She knows Michelle has zero interest in her.

• Love 9

Michelle reading that letter dabbing at non-existent tears reminded me of Susan Smith trying to convince me she didn't know her sons were at the bottom of a lake.

Also, how did JD feel knowing he was the only one in that truck who was nowhere near getting laid.

• Love 13

I cried so many tears for Joy during that episode. Holy crap. I bet her letter made references to Jill being like a mother, sister, and friend to her but she didn't want to read it in front of Michelle. Joy and Jill's relationship reminds me so much of the one I have with my sister. I took care of her so much when she was younger and we are having such a hard time now that she's in college. I can't imagine Jill and Joy being much different. I could see how hurt Joy was with her little plate of strawberries while Jill was trying on dresses. Jill was being nice when she said that Joy was like her live baby doll. Joy was like her child and now she's feeling the impact of her mother moving out. I want to cry for her just thinking about it!

• Love 4

All the fuss and proclamation that the dress must be "Modest!" when brides of other sects/faiths typically wear wedding dresses that have higher necklines and sleeves past the elbow. There are even bridal shops that sell white hijabs! Of course, any of that typically takes more time than a two-month engagement has to offer. Not to say that Jill's dress showed too much, not at all, but really, what would the Duggars do with themselves if they weren't constantly telling everyone how modest they were?

• Love 4

Just watched the thanking Monie video re:fixing Jills dress. NIKE! I feel totally defrauded. I saw the bridal shop owner's exposed knees & she was wearing a sheer black blouse (even if she did have a camisole underneath)

• Love 1

Grrr, I'm getting so tired of "I'm marrying Derick Dillard. Or I'm courting Ben Seewald" - like they're celebrities or something. Unless it's Jeter or Affleck, spare us the last names. 

So Michelle took all of the older girls to DC, whilst JB and JD fly the coop - leaving Mary with the remaining 12 kids all by herself. Are they TRYING to kill her???

Hated seeing Boob razz Bin about heights and ladders. Praising Derrick for hiking the hills of Nepal, but loser Ben has never been higher than a 6 foot ladder. Asshat. And WHERE are his sideburns???? So distracting!

I loved seeing Joy Anna dissolve into tears over Jill getting married. Any REAL emotion with this family is a good thing.

Edited by ghoulina
  • Love 6

Oh my, where do I start.

Derick, Ben, and JB had more to lose. Seriously... Just because you are courting, engaged, or married does not make you more special. News flash to these three nitwits, there are men in relationships everyday who put their life on the line to save people, animals, and property, so you are not so wonderful because you climb a mountain or jump off a cliff. And yes, Derick it would have been terrible if you died jumping off the cliff because people are preparing for your wedding. I was surprise that Ben and Derick were able to last a few days without Jessa and Jill.

I will sleep much better tonight knowing John David is not a volunteer fire fighter and constable where I live. He cannot jump because he has less to lose. In the words of Charlie Brown, UGH!!!

Jill is going from giving her heart to daddy to giving her heart to Derick. Why does this creep me out a little. I free so bad for Joy Anna. Michelle, here is a little news flash for you too, guess what, there are people in the real world who do not care what type of wedding dress you want. And if I hear we are processing the wedding, the wedding is getting close, or we cannot believe Jill is leaving home one more time.

I feel so special and awesome now.

So Michelle took all of the older girls to DC, whilst JB and JD fly the coop - leaving Mary with the remaining 12 kids all by herself. Are they TRYING to kill her???

If the Duggar washerwoman did die, J'Chelle would still find some way to avoid doing the laundry, even without her all-encompassing nursing schedule to adhere to.

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 3
If the Duggar washerwoman did die, J'Chelle would still find some way to avoid doing the laundry, even without her all-encompassing nursing schedule to adhere to.

They'd probably stick poor Josiah in there. Has anyone even seen him lately???

• Love 1

I'm shocked they used China & silverware at Anna's brunch. But why did poor Jana have to hold Marcus so she couldn't enjoy her meal? Why couldn't he sit in a highchair or other baby seat? Or even why didn't Michelle hold her "precious grandbaby" since that's all she talks about is missing the grandbabies? At family dinners when my son was a baby, my mother or mother-in-law would hold him whether he was fussy or not, as loving grandmas do.

When the girls were packing, they mentioned about not forgetting to pack pajamas. Does this mean they don't sleep in their clothes anymore or are PJ's for special trips?

• Love 2

Josiah's been at ALERT programming camp pretty much all year, with a couple of 2-week breaks in between "tours." I think they let him out for Jill's wedding, but I know he spent his 18th birthday there. Poor guy. Talk about forgotten...

• Love 5

It seemed like Anna kinda invited herself to be a bridesmaid, and maybe Jill went along with it.  What could she say? No? Jill brought up the topic of bridesmaids and Anna just kinda assumed she would be one.  Perhaps Jill did intend Anna to be one, but she could've at least let Jill finish her sentence rather than assume.  (At least that's how it looked to me!)

• Love 2

Josiah's been at ALERT programming camp pretty much all year, with a couple of 2-week breaks in between "tours." I think they let him out for Jill's wedding, but I know he spent his 18th birthday there. Poor guy. Talk about forgotten...

Didn't John Doofus also go to ALERT?  Wouldn't they have done some rapelling there, so he should have felt comfortable doing that jump.  His wimp-out performance (not to mention his below-average looks and austistic-spectrum personality) will be driving away the potential brides.

• Love 2

WHY does Boob keep referring to Derrik and Ben as becoming Duggars?  His daughters are becoming members of their husband's family and taking THEIR names.  You are NOT gaining another peon for your family "businesses".  Your daughters are leaving you to start lives of their own with men who will be heads of their own households.  Remember Boob, you are GIVING AWAY the bride, not accepting the hand of the groom.

• Love 14

It seemed like Anna kinda invited herself to be a bridesmaid, and maybe Jill went along with it.  What could she say? No? Jill brought up the topic of bridesmaids and Anna just kinda assumed she would be one.  Perhaps Jill did intend Anna to be one, but she could've at least let Jill finish her sentence rather than assume.  (At least that's how it looked to me!)

I think Jill included her. I thought she said "You all". I'm sure she wouldn't have asked everyone at the table except Anna. 

I think Michelle's tears were more for herself. The loss of her youth, her childbearing and having no fucking clue what purpose she is going to serve in the world now that her uterus is shut down. Nobody point out to her that she still has a dozen young kids at home who need an actual mother and not a sister mom...because the sister moms are all getting out of dodge! Actually, Michelle was probably moved to tears at the idea of actually having to be the parent to those children now. She has no idea how to be one!

• Love 3

I want the person I marry to give me their heart at least by the time we're engaged. My Christian fundie-lite friends talk like that a little. I personally think if you're marrying someone they should have your heart. That's how you know you want to marry them.

Biggest jerk moment, JB talking about if something should happen tell your momma, etc. Then John says "what about me?" Jim bob "Well you don't have anyone." What? What are you talking about?  My parents don't have my heart the way JB has Jill's but if anything happened to me, I would want them to know I love them. It's a stupid conversation in light of they are not probably going to die, but what about his parents? His siblings? Not one out of 19 would benefit from John wanted you to know he loved you! If I was facing death as a single person, I would try to give messages to my parents, siblings, friends. Meanwhile Jim Bob managed to convey no one would miss John Not even JB himself.

Jim bob in general picked on John for being single. Maybe he'll be the next one married. John David seemed to me to be chickening out of the zip line. Sometimes people get really nervous and don't want to do stuff. I would give anyone an out who didn't want to something. Jim bob is not that nice kind of person, so JD had to go with he had nothing to prove. 

I like Jill with her sibings and her sister-in-law. I didn't mind them going to DC to buy a dress. It included Anna, and a free dress is a free dress.

I don't like Ben's beard. I also dislike the school picture backgrounds they put in back the family when they are talking. Why not just show the room?

Edited by Temperance

I don't think Ben was all that scared on the "man trip."  I just think that was the role he was given to play.  Both he and Derick did fine with all the challenges.

JB seems a little desperate about John David.  Didn't he ask for applications from interested young ladies at the end?  JD already has a beer belly--but I guess it didn't come from beer.  Although who knows what he does, doesn't he have his own house he lives in? JD seems like a real video-game bachelor.

• Love 2

What was up with Michelle when she said "I don't know why I was so surprised" in regards to Jill getting married? I swear to God when she read that off her phone Jill's face hardened for a split second. Was Princess Jessa supposed to be the one who found love while Jill toiled away forever at the TTH? It seemed like such a backhanded thing to say.

I can't gauge Jana's lukewarm reaction to Jill's request. My guess is it was a re-enactment. If Jill was at the point where she was shopping for her wedding dress, the bridesmaids would have already been selected, not like there was any question as to who was going to be in the wedding party.

• Love 2

When Michelle was reading her "letter" (it was on a tablet), she had never seen those words before and was reading something someone had written for her.  Her pauses were just in weird places.  There was this one place at the end where she read, "and do Derrick............good and not evil" I nearly cracked up laughing.

I now see that Jill and Jana have no idea how to show emotion to anyone.  Jill's "how sweet" with everything is exactly how she responds to Derrick. She even responded that way when Joy was losing it.  Not a criticism...just an observation.

I liked the first 2 dresses the best.  Michelle was actually holding Michael, Marcus, I can't remember. 

Poor Ben - who doesn't know how to make S'mores by the time they are 19? Especially if you live in a rural area? I think he has the beard because of Derricks beard, maybe something said by Jessa, or he's trying to look older or something.

Edited by Ripley68