Type keyword(s) to search

Elementary in the Media

Elementary is one of CBS’ most DVR-ed series, so a time slot is not that crucial to the show’s performance.

I hope this means CBS will advertise the show more often.  I never know for sure if it's on or pre-empted on a given week, since I mainly see ads for their various sitcoms on Thursday night.  I only saw one ad late on Wednesday night this week.

Upside to the move: 

*It's post-NFL season, and iirc, March Madness. Preemptions should be minimal.

*It's got other strong-to-steady hour-long shows leading in to theirs.

*Not a lot of network competition in the time slot.

Downside:

*It's coming late (enough) in the season.

*It's to Sunday, already noted to have other channels with hooks in viewers.

*If there is barely any ads for it now, what about ads for the move?  (Hopefully, they'll be as clever as TVD and The Originals' ad for that on the CW.)

added:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6C3zt73Lrk  (I don't watch either show, but I liked how they used the common thread in delivering the news. It was fun.)

Edited by Actionmage
  • Love 1

Yay! Another season of Joan's outfits and Sherlock's voice!

And Clyde sightings and Ms. Hudson sightings and Alfredo & Bell hinting at dating Joan & making Sherlock nuts and Captain Gregson and single stick practice and bees! and ... ;D

• Love 5

Only just heard about this, but I'm excited: Nelsan Ellis (Lafayette from True Blood), will be having a three episode arc this season (starting with the premiere) as Shinwell Johnson, who appeared in the books, starting with "The Illustrious Client."  I thought he was horribly wasted by the end of True Blood's run, so I'm hoping he gets to shine here.

• Love 7

I've only seen one preview ad for the show that I can remember, while watching Stephen Colbert.  I guess CBS isn't into advertising the show much, but at least they keep renewing it...

I was watching the CBS Sunday Morning show and saw lots of ads for NCIS:LA & Madame Secretary "back to back," but no mentions of Elementary.

Edited by jch323
I forgot how to spell Elementary, apparently.

I think CBS won't renew it for a sixth year. Its promotion of Elementary appears to have been dialed back; it'll have five seasons in the can this season, which will give it a nice number of episodes for the stations running it in syndication; TV By the Numbers (http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/) has its ratings at or near CBS's lowest and assesses the series as "likely to be canceled by May" ... and honestly, this season's episodes, sadly, have had a "running out of gas" feel to them for the most part.

47 minutes ago, wilnil said:

I think CBS won't renew it for a sixth year. Its promotion of Elementary appears to have been dialed back; it'll have five seasons in the can this season, which will give it a nice number of episodes for the stations running it in syndication; TV By the Numbers (http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/) has its ratings at or near CBS's lowest and assesses the series as "likely to be canceled by May" ... and honestly, this season's episodes, sadly, have had a "running out of gas" feel to them for the most part.

Yeah, it's ratings are not just among the lowest at CBS now, but as I recall were last year as well--even lower than many shows that got cancelled. I get the impression its still on the air only because its very cheap to produce (the star salaries must be most of it) and CBS owns the show completely.

Edited by Kromm
38 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Maybe it does dynamite ratings in syndication? Not saying it will get another season, just wondering why it has hung on this long.

Is it even IN syndication? For the most shows that concept doesn't even exist anymore--streaming services are about it. 

42 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Maybe it does dynamite ratings in syndication? Not saying it will get another season, just wondering why it has hung on this long.

Because of Joan's wardrobe and JLM's diction. Plus, maybe TPTB think twisty plots make the network look intellectual.

3 minutes ago, Kromm said:

Is it even IN syndication? For the most shows that concept doesn't even exist anymore--streaming services are about it. 

It is and CBS got $3M an episode for it, which is apparently huge. Although this article seems to be including HuluPlus in that deal, so apparently streaming services can count as a part of a syndication deal. Although this one included more than just that.

That said, I don't know if the ratings in syndication even matter that much? If they've already gotten the deal, if said deal was brokered to include any/all future episodes, making more of them makes money down the road too. It may be worth it enough to keep churning them out even if the first airing is not gangbusters. Depends on the details though, which are not clear from what I've read so far.

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, Kromm said:

I understand WGN bought syndication rights and has been running the episodes for the past year/couple years. (I don't get WGN, so I don't know when they began showing it, just that it does, nightly, per TV listings I see.)

• Love 1
On 11/29/2016 at 10:06 PM, WendyCR72 said:

I understand WGN bought syndication rights and has been running the episodes for the past year/couple years. (I don't get WGN, so I don't know when they began showing it, just that it does, nightly, per TV listings I see.)

Boston ABC affiliate, CW11 [NYC], and KTLA can be added to the list.... 

9 minutes ago, johntfs said:

That's a cure way worse than the disease.

Like a drug commercial disclaimer that includes "suicidal thoughts" among the possible side effects....

• Love 2

They sure took their time, huh?  Glad it's coming back, but they really better be thanking their lucky starts that syndication and international sales seem to be good, because it sounds like that is the reason CBS hasn't canned it.  Although, I they really should re-think those whole "cliffhanger for season finale" deal, because at this point, probably any season could be its last.

Still, I'm glad it's sticking around.  Hilariously, I realized this is the only CBS show I watched this season/year (well.... besides Training Day a.k.a. "dead show walking", that I'm just sticking with for Katrina Law and to see Bill Paxton one last time.

I think this show would do better in the ratings if it weren't given the death slot that is 10 pm on Sunday night and so often delayed because of sports running over.  I've never understood why CBS insists on 4 hours of programming on Sunday nights.  Why not go with 3 hours, beginning with 60  Minutes?  They could fill that earlier hour with sports - inevitable runovers, and then they could do a sports wrapup if  necessary.  Or are they contractually forbidden from doing so since that is what NBC does as the lead-in to SNF? 

Regardless, glad Elementary is back.  One of my favorites.  I'll continue to program my DVR for an extra hour!

• Love 12

Great news!  yes, more Clyde please, yes, please move the show away from sports over-run nights, and otherwise just let Elementary continue to be its own strange self.

• Love 5
On 5/14/2017 at 10:29 AM, AimingforYoko said:

I'm pretty sure if this show wasn't produced in-house, it would've been cancelled.

Modern TV Math is so weird. By the old metrics, this show has been a total dog for years. The ratings are microscopic. But because they can make it so cheaply, and because they don't think anything else will do any better in that timeslot, and I guess because of them maybe having pre-sold syndication rights, it keeps getting the green light.

• Love 1
On 5/14/2017 at 0:30 PM, Calvada said:

I think this show would do better in the ratings if it weren't given the death slot that is 10 pm on Sunday night and so often delayed because of sports running over.  I've never understood why CBS insists on 4 hours of programming on Sunday nights.  Why not go with 3 hours, beginning with 60  Minutes?  They could fill that earlier hour with sports - inevitable runovers, and then they could do a sports wrapup if  necessary.  Or are they contractually forbidden from doing so since that is what NBC does as the lead-in to SNF? 

Regardless, glad Elementary is back.  One of my favorites.  I'll continue to program my DVR for an extra hour!

I hate that the show was moved to Sunday nights--it was doing great on Thursday nights but at least the show was renewed--I need my Holmes and Watson :)