Type keyword(s) to search

Retro B&B: When the Beautiful Were Also Bold

• Start Topic

I miss this version of Hope sometimes, because when she was right, she was right and wasn't about to let Steffy play the victim in this.

That said, I have so many questions, like how Liam could let the wedding go on without saying ANYTHING about Steffy not signing. Like, RIDGE is the one who tells her this.

Also, I could've sworn it was a different wedding where Steffy did sign the annulment papers eventually where Liam tore them up and didn't say anything until the wedding yet AGAIN and Steffy had to break the news.

Also this gem from a few weeks later, when Hope is beginning to regret her public morality statement and clearly wants to fuck Liam to keep him from Steffy:

Seriously, if you have to work this hard to keep a man, let his ass go.

• Love 5

For those who have come into the show late (ie the last five years), there's a channel that has nearly 2000 episodes going back to at least 2009 to fill in those who are just dying to see the very beginnings of Liam's epic love story with Hope and Steffy (*snort*) or y'all want some nostalgia of seeing the Marones and Bridget and Ronn Moss!Ridge again 😂

Against my better judgement, I picked an episode right after the Venice wedding that wasn't and I think i.mightve been way too hard on that version of Hope. Like, pretty much everyone aside from Rick of all people thinks she's overreacting about cancelling the marriage after finding out he nearly banged Stuffy on their wedding day and calling her immature for expecting Waffles the fucknugget for thinking twice about anything.

Is it ridiculous that she had four full blown weddings in one year? Sure it is, but so is Steffy and Liam still hanging out while insisting they made a mistake. And Steffy's continued sociopathy only makes Hope far more tolerable.

That being said, I'm beginning to see why Steamless got a following. They were actually allowed to have a little bit more !!fun!! together, which so far is noticeably absent from the Lope scenes. I don't understand why they want to be together either, to be honest.

• Love 1

Edit: oh, and there's one scene somewhere in the 6370s episodes where Hope tells Steffy there's no way she'd tolerate Liam stepping out on her and i.laughed be ayses that's exactly what would happen five and a half years later with the Liam/Sally thing.

• Love 1
(edited)

Hahaha! The Boinkberries! I'm finally getting to see this shit with my own two eyes 😂

(Their plane crashed four episodes earlier but here's where the whacky hijinx begin, complete with poorly CGI rainbows and flowers 😂)

+1 for vintage Still, which was so underrated the first time around. How she settled for Liam after being that close to riding the stallion, even for an easy means to stick it to a Logan, is still beyond me.

Edited by Anna Yolei
  • Love 3

Part retro and part shitposting meme (watch till the end! 😂🤣

(Side note: while Bridge's giggliness does make my eyes roll still sometimes, I can appreciate the fact that Brooke and Ridge even at their low points always had affection towards one another. I definitely will take  their office romps over Victor wishing death on Nikki, Carly Tenney and Jack Synder using their kids to take the piss out of one another, Lily and Cane's dysfunction that appears to have been put down like Old Yeller finally and especially  ATWT's Lily and Holden who had uglier fights than most actual rivals by the end of that show's run and still remain my least favorite soap couple, ever.)

• Love 1

This was well before my time, but God, I wish he had a character like Sally eating up the show these days than the flat personalities that have taken over the show this decade (specifically Liam and Hope 1.0)

In general, the sense of fun is missing from the show, period. 2019 has been easily the most grimdark season in B&B's entire history, but even before this nonstop dead baby talk, the only two big fun group things I can think of from the last ten years was Hope's graduation party and the 30th anniversary in Sydney. 

• Love 4
On 5/20/2019 at 1:42 PM, Anna Yolei said:

This was well before my time, but God, I wish he had a character like Sally eating up the show these days than the flat personalities that have taken over the show this decade (specifically Liam and Hope 1.0)

Good point.  I couldn't stand Sally and FFd past her scenes when I couldn't take her scenery chewing anymore, but at least I was watching, which is more than I can say now.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
  1. I've been watching on and off since 2009. I might be missing some important details. Did Stephanie's lifetime hatred of Brooke only come from Brooke's involvement with Eric? (Then did she think that Brooke wasn't good enough for all her sons, etc. etc.)?  Thank you.
  2. Is Jack (the son of Nick and Brooke) being raised by Jack far far away or is he in boarding school?
Edited by TessHarding2
14 hours ago, TessHarding2 said:
  1. I've been watching on and off since 2009. I might be missing some important details. Did Stephanie's lifetime hatred of Brooke only come from Brooke's involvement with Eric? (Then did she think that Brooke wasn't good enough for all her sons, etc. etc.)?  Thank you.
  2. Is Jack (the son of Nick and Brooke) being raised by Jack far far away or is he in boarding school?

For #1, I think it goes deeper than that. I think she hated her even earlier than that (or at least wasn't a fan of her dating/getting engaged to Ridge after his relationship with Caroline, her pick, ended after she learned he cheated on her before their wedding). I think it stemmed from her being her rival, Beth's, daughter. 

For #2, my assumption is he was being raised by Nick somewhere over in Europe but no idea if that's true or not. 

• Love 1

They never gave Nick a proper exit story. Contract negotiations went South and Jack Wagner left when his (likely exuberant for 3010s daytime) salary demands were no longer being met. That, and with Bill more or less eclipsing into Nick's straightshooter role/thorn in the Forresters' side, it's not like he had much to do after his sailing expertise saved Brooke and Thomas from boinkberry island.

But by then, Jack had become an afterthought who was raised more by Bridget than he ever was by Brooke, so who knows. 

Re: Brooke and Stephanie, yeah it went way back to the Beth thing. I think what happened is Eric and Beth rekindled their romance around the same time Brooke and Ridge got together, Stephanie figured out Beth Logan was Liz Henderson (aka the woman Eric was dating when he slept with Steph and assumed he'd knocked her up) and went off assuming Brooke was in on the scheme to get her money. 

It was years later that this eventually morphed into "Brooke stole my husband," but Eric was already in the process of divorcing her for entirely unrelated reasons when he got with her.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, CountryGirl said:

For #1, I think it goes deeper than that. I think she hated her even earlier than that (or at least wasn't a fan of her dating/getting engaged to Ridge after his relationship with Caroline, her pick, ended after she learned he cheated on her before their wedding). I think it stemmed from her being her rival, Beth's, daughter. 

For #2, my assumption is he was being raised by Nick somewhere over in Europe but no idea if that's true or not. 

Stephanie didn't want Caroline with Ridge.  She thought Caroline and Thorne were a better match.  Of course, that was back when Stephanie cared about all her children, not just Ridge.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, Anna Yolei said:

"Cared for" being a relative  term, as Steph thought it was okay to buy a gigalo to be interested in Kristen just because she didn't show any interest in men. 😑

Yes, Stephanie's brand of caring was anything but, however, Stephanie used to meddle and scheme about lots of things until Brad Bell turned her into a one note caricature.

17 hours ago, Anna Yolei said:

"Cared for" being a relative  term, as Steph thought it was okay to buy a gigalo to be interested in Kristen just because she didn't show any interest in men. 😑

Remember how she was opting to sample said gigolo (Clark) to make sure he would fit the bill for Kristen?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, CountryGirl said:

Remember how she was opting to sample said gigolo (Clark) to make sure he would fit the bill for Kristen?

I didn't see the beginnings of that (dear God no!) but I did see their breakup where Clarke had seeming fallen for Steph. She had a whole host of lovers between him, Jack Hamilton and James (I think there was a fourth person besides Massimo), which was all but gone by the time I found the show in '99.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Anna Yolei said:

I didn't see the beginnings of that (dear God no!) but I did see their breakup where Clarke had seeming fallen for Steph. She had a whole host of lovers between him, Jack Hamilton and James (I think there was a fourth person besides Massimo), which was all but gone by the time I found the show in '99.

There was also Adam, the guy she met when she had amnesia and was homeless. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Anna Yolei said:

Yes, back before Brad Bell was completely in charge, and Stephanie didn't spend all her time waiting for Eric to return to her, Taylor and Brooke didn't spend all their time hoping Ridge chose them, etc.

• Love 2

Thank you one and all for the answers to my questions.  I had no idea it went back to Brooke's mother, Beth Logan.  Now I know how Baby Beth got her name (as well as Douglas).  I started

watching the show when Brooke and Nick were over.  They have to lock up their step children on this show.

• LOL 1

The somewhat stupid thing about Beth’s name is Hope’s niece Lizzie is also named Elizabeth after their grandmother. I know it’s soap tradition to recycle names and there are a ton of variants on that name but....really? Couldn’t Brooke have suggested that Beth be named after her own Grandmother Logan (whose first name I’m blanking on but she was an absolute gem that shamed her son for leaving his family and was a decent person)?

5 hours ago, Anna Yolei said:

Grandmother Logan (whose first name I’m blanking on but she was an absolute gem that shamed her son for leaving his family and was a decent person)?

Helen?

• Useful 1

I miss this kind of character on daytime: the one who genuinely believes they're right and push to get their way by any means necessary but still retained that bit of humanity (which had already started to go well before that clip).

There was history there, none of which exists between the current cast, Triangle of Never-Ending Dumb included (unless you count Steffy and Hope's squawking at one another in 2012 "history" which....okay, but who cares?).

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 7:16 PM, TessHarding2 said:

I found one of them.  1989.  "YOUR mother (Beth Logan) stole MY husband"...(Eric Forrester).

The show was really good then. None of this stupid teen stuff. KKL looks amazing. Her lips her so full. Now, she looks so different. The Steph & Brooke stuff was off the charts then. The only thing I never bought was when they became friends and Steph died in Brooke's arms.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, ByaNose said:

The only thing I never bought was when they became friends and Steph died in Brooke's arms.

When I look at it as more for closure for the fans, it becomes slightly more tolerable.

But yeah.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, ByaNose said:

The show was really good then. None of this stupid teen stuff. KKL looks amazing. Her lips her were so full. Now, she looks so different. The Steph & Brooke stuff was off the charts then. The only thing I never bought was when they became friends and Steph died in Brooke's arms.

Mmmmm, Sally's Bachelorette party

I'm just curious but...why was Taylor there?

I couldn't stand Sally and FFd past her scenes when I couldn't take her scenery chewing anymore

I loved Sally (and the Spectras in general). I never was bothered by her scenery chewing, I found it quite fun. And she (DC) could also do good subtle work as well.

Stephanie didn't want Caroline with Ridge.  She thought Caroline and Thorne were a better match. 

I never saw it that way...I always thought she was only pro-Caroline and Thorne as a couple after Thorne shot Ridge after finding out Caroline and Ridge hooked up...and didn't want to see Throrne shoot him again.

Remember when Taylor actually had a backbone at one point and wouldn't just accept Ridge however she could get him?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa6YFflLyXs

Edited by Hiyo
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Mmmmm, Sally's Bachelorette party

I'm just curious but...why was Taylor there?

Because none of these people have friends 🙂 I've been saying for years that soap people have the saddest parties with the saddest attendees.  Nick & Taylor's wedding was one of the saddest things ever.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Hiyo said:

And Owen, for that matter...was he dating Jackie at that point though? That could explain his presence, but Donna is still a question mark...

I'm pretty sure he didn't get with her until mid 2008. That wedding was early '07.

• Useful 1

I miss Deacon. God, that man was smoking his first go round. All my friends watched Bold and the Beautiful in high school because it was only half an hour and ridiculous and when Deacon was going after Amber..... There was an episode where he had a daydream montage of him, Amber and the kid set to Bryan Adams 'Heaven' that was so hilarious that for years any event that occurred  with us was referenced as 'pre- montage' and 'post- montage'. And that scene when he took Bridget's virginity was so appalling yet hilarious. Hmm, I may have an actor playing Deacon hang up.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

Can't find a version without the Polish narrator, but here you go...

Yep. Frigging smoking. 

I just remember at the time thinking- jesus, hang up the phone. She can't hear you and is this something you want to be listening to? He was such a gorgeous bastard.

• Love 3
(edited)
6 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Can't find a version without the Polish narrator, but here you go...

I got you 👍

It is so ridiculously bad and OTT 

The kicker is, I think this took place nearly a year before Hope was born, down to the day, which...yeah.

Edited by Anna Yolei
  • Love 1
On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 10:50 AM, Anna Yolei said:

I got you 👍

It is so ridiculously bad and OTT 

The kicker is, I think this took place nearly a year before Hope was born, down to the day, which...yeah.

This stuff is hilarious!  So, does this mean that Brooke slept with Deacon after her horror at him deflowering her daughter?  

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

After.

Here is Thorne 1.0 shooting Ridge 1.0, way way way back in the day. Interesting as one of the few times we see the grounds of the Forrestor mansion that doesn't include the pool area.

• Useful 2

The very first time the Steam Room was used...👀

I think the last time Bridge boinked in there was  at least nine or ten years ago and it made a cameo apperance during the Quridge story a few years ago.

• Love 3

When our beloved show went full on Maury Povich...ah, good times.

Of course, given the later retcon of Ridge being Massimo's son, you'd think the hospital staff would have wondered why Ridge and Eric's blood had nothing in common...

• Useful 1