Type keyword(s) to search

Retro B&B: When the Beautiful Were Also Bold

• Start Topic

You forget the part where Taylor wakes up in love with Ridge after not thinking about him for months.

But yeah, the triangle had gotten stale by that point. Arguably, it was wearing thin even in the 90s and it should've ended when Waffles Sr went back to Taylor to raise Thomas and let Brooke move on with Thorne, or at least move her onto someone that wasn't Ridge or Deacon if they HAD to break them up six months after getting married.

Still, in those days, the draw for me was Amber. Yes, I know....she began to eat up a lot of the show and I out her popularity was even that high to justify keeping her around another two years after she and Rick split for good, but I was entertained well enough.i can't imagine being a teen and having any connection at all to Steffy and her daily diet of Chicken and Waffles.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Anna Yolei said:

Still, in those days, the draw for me was Amber. Yes, I know....she began to eat up a lot of the show and I out her popularity was even that high to justify keeping her around another two years after she and Rick split for good, but I was entertained well enough.i can't imagine being a teen and having any connection at all to Steffy and her daily diet of Chicken and Waffles.

I liked Amber on the few years I watched Y&R.  I thought she had great chemistry with Jeanne Cooper. Even her scheming amused me but I didn't get the impression she was liked by most fans.  

But yeah, the triangle had gotten stale by that point

The Brooke/Ridge/Taylor triangle was always one of my favorites, and it drove the show well during the 90s. But yeah, it was getting a bit stale by '99. That's why I was very excited to see that the show was possibly moving into a new direction by setting up two new triangles, Brooke/Thorne/Macy and Taylor/Ridge/Morgan. But, that didn't last long and we had Macy dying, Morgan going crazy, and Brooke realizing she was still in love with Ridge. The show had a chance to move on with 2 new triangles that could have driven the show for another decade. Oh well.

I got a bit sick of Amber when she ate the show, circa 1998 to 2000? But I did like her when the show went back to being more balanced with it's characters. And I would have minded if they had kept her around, as a more mature but still trouble-making character who kept working as a designer for the Ambrosia line.

I didn't know Lauren Koslow was on B&B

Yup. She played a character called Margo on the show from 1987 to 1992, and guest appeared in 2002. She was married at one point to Bill Spencer Sr (that's the guy she is sitting at the table with). You can read about her history here. I always liked Margo, it's too bad they never brought her back. I guess Lauren enjoys her Days gig.

And who is that couple at 1:07?

The woman is the original Felicia Forrester, the man is Clarke Garrison. They weren't a couple, they were just friends (though he was married to Kristen Forrester at one point). Weren't they both secretly working for Spectra at this point?

Edited by AndySmith
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, tessaray said:

I liked Amber on the few years I watched Y&R.  I thought she had great chemistry with Jeanne Cooper. Even her scheming amused me but I didn't get the impression she was liked by most fans.  

I don't think she was the best addition to Y&R, mostly because TIIC were trying to paint her as one of the Scooby-Doo gang, as a fresh faced 20 something still finding herself as opposed to being closer to 30 who was a divorcee and a mother. I could get why someone who didn't know her back story might not be as irritated with her.

• Love 2

Not quite retro as its only three years ago, but it was a good reminder for me, who is probably the most vocal anti-Liam person here, to remember what Scott Clifton is capable of. Hell, even Jackie Wood was on her "A" game in these scenes.

• Love 1

Good old fun from 1992. I realize current budgets won't allow it these days, but I miss places like the Bikini Bar. It was nice to see the cast go out and occasionally have fun. Granted, as long as you didn't run into your husband there with another woman ;) Plus, we get to see Darla with long hair here. And a funny story with Sheila, where Eric invites her over but she doesn't quite twig to the fact that he wanted her as baby sitter so she shows up all glammed up...ah, good times.

• Love 3

It was 1992, actually. You can see Sheila and Eric at 01:17, briefly, and she is wearing her nurses uniform. Also, Clarke's loud blue blazer wouldn't have been worn in 1996, but still barely somewhat fashionable in 1992 ;)

Clarke was an asshole for sure, and a great one. But, Sally won out in the end. Here is a summary from a charter bio on Clarke:

Soon after [Clarke and Sally] got married, Clarke made a move on Julie Delorean, Bill's spy at Spectra, who had fallen for him. But soon Clarke backed away. Outraged, Julie handed the complete manuscript of a 'tell-all' book about Clarke to Bill. Sally announced at the time that she was pregnant. A furious Clarke ordered her to go and get an abortion, which Sally led Clarke to believe she did. Bill then sent a copy of the book to Sally. Upon realizing that she no longer needed Clarke, as Felicia's line was very successful and after finally understanding he cheated on her with Julie, Sally had Clarke fired, leaving him penniless. Clarke refused to give up his paternal rights when Bill offered him $100,000. Clarke tried to apologize to Sally, to no avail. As she was forced to admit she was still pregnant with his child, Clarke used the childbirth classes to bond with his wife again, until she gave birth to their son, Clarke Jr. Sally finally rehired Clarke, as the company was in trouble again. Everything seemed even all the brighter for her when an envelope was delivered to Sally, containing the Forrester's BeLieF formula, leading her to believe maybe Clarke stole it to give her, even though he denied it.

Clarke was very happy to finally have a successful line but was unhappy with his sex life with Sally. He finally got out of it by pretending to be impotent. As she was trying to seduce him as a "test", Darla overheard Clarke planning to leave Sally after their second anniversary when he received 50% of Spectra, according to their premarital agreement. Crushed, Sally found out there was no way to cancel the agreement, unless Clarke had been unfaithful. Desperate to set him up, the Spectra family finally got him when, as he thought he had reached the deadline, he made love to Kristen (who had come back for a little while). Thanks to the videotape, even though she was aware Spectra was lost without Clarke as its designer, Sally threw him out, as Kristen dumped him as well, forcing him to leave L.A.

• Love 2

Yes. Brooke and Eric did sleep together.  I'm struggling to recall how/when it was finally revealed. (I assume sometime after Bridget's paternity came into question again.) Eric and Brooke were entertaining some fashion biz big-wig from Europe and Brooke had way too much to drink. When she and Eric got home, he helped her to her bedroom and started to leave, then Brooke asked him to help her out of her heavy beaded evening dress. After he got her tucked into bed, again, Eric tried to leave the room and Brooke called out, "Stay" or "Don't go," or whatever. The audience actually didn't see what happened, but we got the picture.

I think that Sly was officially the first super-fit guy on the show. Now it's the exception instead of the rule to have just an average-Joe, but decent body for men.

• Love 3

Yes. Brooke and Eric did sleep together.  I'm struggling to recall how/when it was finally revealed.

I think the characters just counted the time and put two and two together. This where we get everyone wondering who the father is, Eric or Ridge, and Sheila-tampering-with-the-results shenanigans.

It lead to a wonderful Maury Povich-style daddy reveal at the hospital. You can almost picture what all the women in that scene are thinking:

Brooke: Please let the baby be Ridge's, so I have a chance with him.

Taylor: Please let the baby be Eric's, so Brooke has no chance with Ridge.

Sheila: Please let the baby be Ridge's, so Brooke has no chance with Eric.

Stephanie: Please let the baby be the milkman's, so this bitch has one less claw digging into my family.

• Love 9

A clip with plenty of goodies, including one of the first discussions of Ridge waffling between Brooke (who may or may not have still been pregnant) and newly separated Caroline. He also points out that Stephanie would rather he didn't marry either of them, nor would she be partial to Taylor when she entered the picture a couple of years later.

• Love 1
On 9/18/2016 at 3:33 PM, AndySmith said:

Yup. She played a character called Margo on the show from 1987 to 1992, and guest appeared in 2002. She was married at one point to Bill Spencer Sr (that's the guy she is sitting at the table with). You can read about her history here. I always liked Margo, it's too bad they never brought her back. I guess Lauren enjoys her Days gig.

Margo was one of the first to sound the alarm about what a dog Ridge was when the show first aired.  Apparently, he had dogged her out and she didn't get over it.  She was Bill Spencer, Sr.'s confidant when it came to discussing Ridge and Caroline's insta-mix romance.  Ironically, when Caroline finally managed to convince daddy that Ridge was true blue and that she kept her promise to her late mother, Marian (to be a virgin until her wedding night), Bill finally relented and gave his blessing.  He even yelled at Margo because she could not believe he was actually condoning the marriage.  Bill was so convinced that Ridge was a good guy that he called off his detective.

Unfortunately, Ridge couldn't resist one last fling with his old lover, Alex, and was caught in the act by Bill's detective.  I'll never forget the look on Bill's face when he saw that picture of Ridge and Alex in bed together.  He promptly called Margo and insisted she had to come to the engagement party he was hosting that evening.  He needed Margo there to keep him from doing something he would regret, i.e. killing Ridge and pulling his hoe card in front of the whole Forrester family and Caroline.

Good times!

• Love 3

He also points out that Stephanie would rather he didn't marry either of them, nor would she be partial to Taylor when she entered the picture a couple of years later.

I do think much of Stephanie's "dislike" of Caroline at this point was her fear that Thorne would remember the night Ridge and Caroline "slept" together (they didn't but Thorne thought they did) and try and shoot Ridge again. And Thorne almost did, once he remembered.

She definitely didn't like Taylor at first, and not just because she wanted to leave Ridge free for Brooke so Stephanie could make a play for Eric (Brooke and Eric were together at the time). It took her a while to come around to liking Taylor.

pulling his hoe card in front of the whole Forrester family and Caroline

I think they all already knew that, even by then lol

Edited by AndySmith
  • Love 2

Good grief, Stephanie was on fire from running pell mell for her baby boy Ridge to putting it together that Thorne shot him and hiding the gun and then going to confront him. She was ready to kill him when she saw him passed out and then realized he was drunk.

Man I miss the old days.

You know I can totally see them redoing this with a drunken Wyatt shooting Liam over Steffy and Quinn covering it up like Stephanie did. Rick or Maya could've seen it and they blackmail Quinn into letting Rick back into the company for their silence.

• Love 2

Apart from Massimo, Stephanie has never had any love interests beside Eric since I've been watching for the better part of 20 years, so it kinda surprises me when I see her in old clips getting romances by Jack, James and apparently even Clarke, who was an actual no shit gigolo who Steph was playing around with before siccing him on Kristen.

But yeah, none of them really clicked for me. Still, I prefer that attempt to her running interference in Eric's life with nothing to occupy her while Eric got women who were young enough to be his daughter.

• Love 1

While Jack and Stephanie didn't set the world on fire with their chemistry, I sill liked Jack, as a romantic interest for Stephanie, and as a nice extension of Taylor's family. Which we also saw with Zach, even if that was only briefly. At least Jack would return for some of Taylor's weddings/deaths/resurrections after his character left the show. Zach never bothered coming back for any of that. They could have at least recast the role.

Also, at least with Jack, we got some good scenes in a Stephanie/Jack/Sally triangle.

Stephanie has never had any love interests beside Eric since I've been watching for the better part of 20 years, so it kinda surprises me when I see her in old clips getting romances by Jack, James and apparently even Clarke

Don't forget Adam from Stephanie's homeless days...

Edited by AndySmith

An interesting scene between, of all people, Sheila and Karen. She seemed to be on to Sheila, which would have been an interesting direction to pursue. Then again, I always liked Karen (more than I did Caroline), and wish she had stayed on longer.

Edited by AndySmith
  • Love 1

Oooh, I don't think this has been posted here yet: The beginning of Thorne and Brooke!

This is the first of three parts, and they should autopsy in most browsers. It does highlightBrooke's charm of making a man feel good about himself. Notice she didn't have to "flaut herself" as Stephanie used to put it.

• Love 1

This was a good opportunity for the show to move on in a new direction, away from the the Brooke/Ridge/Taylor triangle. We got two new triangles that had lots of potential - Brooke/Thorne/Macy and Taylor/Ridge/Morgan that could have driven the show for another decade. Instead after a year or 2 they killed off Macy, Morgan just went batshit crazy, and Brooke woke up realizing she was still in love with Ridge. Ugh.

Brooke and this Thorne really worked well together. I couldn't see her and Jeff Trachta's Thorne as a couple, but Katherine Kelly Lang and Windsor Harmon were just really great together. And it was good to see Brooke move away from Ridge's orbit.

• Love 6

I honestly think she could've pulled something off with the original yummy Thorne too. But yeah, Jeff Tracta!Thorne does nothing for me and just seems so....basic.

It still cracks me up thinking about Ridge pushing the both of them together once he clued in on Thorne's interest in Caroline I.

• Love 1

Jeff Tracta's Thorne worked for me when he was paired with Macy and Karen, but I can't see his version of Thorne being with Brooke that way.

Compared to some of the other men on the show, he definitely was a bit on the...basic side. He at least had good chemistry with most of the cast, I do have to give him that.

• Love 2

Yeah. I liked JT with Macy better than WH with Macy. Maybe it was the singing.  I couldn't picture KKL with JT, but it would have been more palatable than recent attempted pairings with her, which shall remain nameless!

• Love 1

That photo of RM in the black cowboy get-up is in Hunter Tylo's book that she wrote ages ago. There is a photo of the two of them sitting at that table. I always wondered what/where that was all about. Thanks for posting those AndySmith!

• Love 2

One of B&B's strangest storylines...Maggie, Lauren, and others gas-lighting Sheila in her own house. I mean, it was kind of fun, and I kind of enjoyed it, but it was just strange.

Edited by AndySmith
  • Love 1

Yeah I actually saw that a few days ago. I'm glad the full wedding is finally available.

I loved Storm's reaction to Ridge of all people being the best man. The longing looks that he (the Muelletor) and Brooke gave each other didn't go unnoticed, either.

OMG YOU GUYS!

THIS! FUCKING THIS CLIP RIGHT HERE! I have been looking for YEARS for this in undubbed English, and it's been online for two years and I've missed it somehow....but OMG, this was THE SHIT when this aired! And after all the sad news this week we all need a laugh.

But laughs aside, the first three minutes of the video highlights every reason I hated Brill as a concept. That Bill and the one of today moping behind the "jealous little tramp" is worlds apart. 

• Love 7

Thank you, Anna Yolei!  You are like Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy all wrapped up in one! 

That is an epic clip and yes, it is a jarring contrast to the dreck we're seeing today. That's why I always thought it seemed so forced and artificial during the Katie PPD days when Bill and Brooke we're in Aspen.  Since Brooke's affections twist in the wind, it wasn't quite so much a stretch for her to just forget the past, but what we're now seeing with Bill? SMH.

Since the writers are following us, maybe they'll slip a line from Bill to Brooke: "Go ahead and marry the dressmaker. I D.A.R.E. you." /hee!

Happy New Year!

• Love 2