Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E07: A Lucid Dream

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

Interesting that there's been so little Kitty in this series. IIRC most series have her pop up in episode 6 or 7, teaching a class and giving tough opinions. We haven't seen her much since episode 2 - am I right? Possibly she's ill or too busy etc. But I do wonder if CMT made plans to revamp the show with big things like Melissa R to having less Kitty and even small things like Kelli turning off the light in the room...and the cheerleader competition winner announcements. Seems quite different this year.

And it often seems to me in telly that a revamp is not always a good sign - someone high up wants bigger ratings and if it doesn't get these ratings, then it is in trouble. As many of you have pointed out, the lack of marathons this year seems odd....

Did anyone else notice that there seems to be a pretty big spoiler for the next episode in the teaser for next week?  

CMT blurred the picture of the team that Kelli showed, but it was still a spoiler.  

Vivian's poem wasn't good, but DCC:MtT isn't a poetry competition.  That said, I'd be more sympathetic about the poem if I thought it was sincere.

I was a bit surprised by Chandler being cut.  I got the feeling she didn't really understand why, because she said something about how it was a small thing, and she could fix it.  But I think K&J were saying her style wasn't a good fit, and that she needed to be better at adapting her style to match DCC.  I'm hoping they gave her some suggestions for classes that could help, because I think she could be a good DCC in the future.

Edited by Allison Lynn
  • Love 2

Did anyone else notice that there seems to be a pretty big spoiler for the next episode in the teaser for next week?  

CMT blurred the picture of the team that Kelli showed, but it was still a spoiler.

Yes, I noticed as well!  

Seriously, not hard to see that there were 36 girls in that team photo.

• Love 1

It was mentioned a while back that Lacey looks like Farrah from Teen Mom, and I swear, I think she looks more and more like her every episode! I also think Breelan looks kind of like Leighton Meester. 

Each season, I wonder why they teach the entrance so late in training camp. I get why they only go to the stadium at the very end, but it seems like they could just go outside to the field and teach it early on, and weed out those who can't get it then.

• Love 6

Thank you!  It makes no sense.  They need the girls to learn the entrance in one night!  I don't get it.  Why not take them out week 5 and teach them the entrance for an hour two days a week until training camp is over?   All the girls say how hard it is...in addition to giving them the boots so late in camp.   Another head scratcher.

Edited by caligirl50
  • Love 5

They no longer show the girls getting their boots like they did in past seasons. The TCCs just magically show up wearing boots when they go the practice field.

Thank you!  It makes no sense.  They need the girls to learn the entrance in one night!  I don't get it.  Why not take them out week 5 and teach them the entrance for an hour two days a week until training camp is over?   All the girls say how hard it is...in addition to giving them the boots so late in camp.   Another head scratcher.

They no longer show the girls getting their boots like they used to. The TCCs just magically show up wearing them when they go the practice field. I remember in past seasons showing girls waiting to get called in after practice still wearing their boots.

Edited by MrsEVH
  • Love 2

There was a deleted video scene where the girls had boots fittings. I wished they would have shown that on the show instead of a certain former DCC during a bad scene with a few TC candidates saying how scared they were. I mean we get it!!! Talk about something else please.

I think the producers finally listened to us, we wanted to see more dancing and get to know the other TCC that we hadn't seen yet.   Hello Victoria!   That was a very interesting clip in this week's show.  I would also like to see one on Mary, Lacey, etc.   But at least it is progress.

Glad to see Vivian go.  If everyone who felt they "deserved" a spot on the team, got on the team, they would have 500 dancers...Haha!

I am still not sold on Caila and Breelan.  Either they have connections with someone, or they just haven't shown us their best dance clips on the episodes so far.

• Love 1

I think the field practice is because Judy would have fewer changes to make as they don't have to block in all those that have already left.  Also we don't know when they might get measured for their boots but it would be more cost effective to wait later in training camp with fewer boots to pay for.

Also we don't know when they might get measured for their boots but it would be more cost effective to wait later in training camp with fewer boots to pay for.

True, but I suspect that DCC's budget can absorb a few extra pairs of boots. If they're decent quality they likely run a couple of hundred dollars per pair, give or take. That's chicken feed to an organization like the Cowboys and would obviously allow the women to get used to them and break them in. Of course, it would also make it harder emotionally to be cut but that doesn't seem like  a major concern.

• Love 1

I think the field practice is because Judy would have fewer changes to make as they don't have to block in all those that have already left.  Also we don't know when they might get measured for their boots but it would be more cost effective to wait later in training camp with fewer boots to pay for.

They fit each TCC  for a uniform and some don't make the squad. I know Kelli wants to see how they look in it. So there are some that never get worn.

• Love 1

It was mentioned a while back that Lacey looks like Farrah from Teen Mom, and I swear, I think she looks more and more like her every episode! I also think Breelan looks kind of like Leighton Meester. 

Each season, I wonder why they teach the entrance so late in training camp. I get why they only go to the stadium at the very end, but it seems like they could just go outside to the field and teach it early on, and weed out those who can't get it then.

I think Kinzie favors the actress who plays Hannah on Pretty Little Liars.

I think the producers finally listened to us, we wanted to see more dancing and get to know the other TCC that we hadn't seen yet.   Hello Victoria!   That was a very interesting clip in this week's show.  I would also like to see one on Mary, Lacey, etc.   But at least it is progress.

Glad to see Vivian go.  If everyone who felt they "deserved" a spot on the team, got on the team, they would have 500 dancers...Haha!

I am still not sold on Caila and Breelan.  Either they have connections with someone, or they just haven't shown us their best dance clips on the episodes so far.

I think the fact that Caila was a junior DCC is helping her have 9 lives.  Also, early on in the judging process Kelli mentioned that she wanted a tall DCC this year. Maybe because Lauren Williams retired and she was the center of the kick-line. I agree that Breelan must know someone.

Edited by DCCFAN71
  • Love 1

I watched the episode again, and wondered if Vivian hadn't read her Lucid Dream poem if they would have cut her.  When Vivian first walked into the office Kelly asked how she felt she did.  Vivian mentioned they'd said her name a lot and that made her nervous.  Judy or Kelly said something about yeah, she'd gotten a lot of feed back.  That's when Vivian pulled out her poem and after that, Kelly and Judy let her go.  I just wonder if they would have given her a bit more time ala Breelan if she hadn't read that poem.  Guess we'll never know.

I'm not on Caila because I haven't seen her dance a whole dance.  I've seen Breelan doing some really good dancing, smiling and tossing her hair, and I've really liked her, nerves aside.  The pressure these girls are under is huge.  I do think they'll all do better once those who make the team do so.

Edited by Kaedee
  • Love 1

Kadeem.... My thoughts exactly on a second viewing. Vivian showed her crazy and Kelly questioned her ability to handle the pressure. I think had she just said she was off her game because her name kept getting called, she would have at least lasted another night. Of course, there is no way to know for sure. But Vivian yanked out that poem so early, kelly had to realize this was for attention and drama (and air time).

I like Ashley, but I fear she or Callie will turn into another Emily from Olivia's rookie season. Selected for looks and then constantly called out.

I think the fact that Caila was a junior DCC is helping her have 9 lives.  Also, early on in the judging process Kelli mentioned that she wanted a tall DCC this year. Maybe because Lauren Williams retired and she was the center of the kick-line. I agree that Breelan must know someone.

It seems like girls who were former Jr. DCCs usually make the squad (Cassie, Mia, and Deanna H).

If Breelan knows someone why didn't she make it to TC last year?

Kadee.... My thoughts exactly on a second viewing. Vivian showed her crazy and Kelly questioned her ability to handle the pressure. I think had she just said she was off her game because her name kept getting called, she would have at least lasted another night. Of course, there is no way to know for sure. But Vivian yanked out that poem so early, kelly had to realize this was for attention and drama (and air time).

While there's no way to know what would have happened without "The Poem," Vivian appeared as consistent as Ashley, Breelan and Caila in those last few practices, at least as far as we could see with the extreme edits. DCC: Making the Team crams a week's worth of practices into 42 minutes. There's a whole lot more going on than we see. I don't know - I just got the feeling Kelly may not have cut her right then except for that poem, which didn't express Vivian's desires with grace but with desperation, and DCC's are all about appearence. Anyway, doesn't matter now! Edited by Kaedee

Oh, I don't think Vivian would have necessarily made it. I just am not sure based on how Kelly and Judy started that meeting that they would have dismissed her that night. I think Breelan was closer to the chopping block; Vivian just did her a favor by not being able to hide her crazy. When Kelly talked to Vivian about the pressure, it didn't seem as prepared or as straight forward a tone as when she is giving her, tonight is your last night speech. Kelly seemed more on the fly. Just my opinion.

Vivian (and all the girls who keep appearing in the office really) go on about how they let their nerves get to them and how they are feeling the pressure.  If I were a perspective employer, that would not make me feel any better about them.  According to Judy, the DCC is all about having to learn on the fly (which poor Alexandra couldn't do) and those girls are often put in pressure filled situations.  How is "I get nervous so I keep screwing up" a valid excuse night after night for why they are doing things incorrectly (I am looking at you, Breelan)?  DCC's are supposed to be confident, the "best of the best"....if dancing in front of K & J keeps you so terrified you can't remember a dance routine then maybe this organization is not the one for you.

• Love 2

Thank you! It makes no sense. They need the girls to learn the entrance in one night! I don't get it. Why not take them out week 5 and teach them the entrance for an hour two days a week until training camp is over? All the girls say how hard it is...in addition to giving them the boots so late in camp. Another head scratcher.

This was the main thing that grated on my nerves this episode. I got tired of Judy harping and getting mad at the girls for not getting the entrance on the first night season after season. And then to be mad at them for not being used to the kicks with their boots on for the first time.

I liked the scene of Britney working with Chandler with her hips. "Shut the car door. Shut the car door." Haha! That's exactly what it looked like.

Edited by TobyBelle
  • Love 4

I felt like they should have just been honest with Chandler about the reasons behind her dismissal. They didn't have a problem with her until Kelli's friend Tina pointed out that she has a "grandma face." Unfortunately, while it may have been somewhat cruel for CMT to air that, Tina had a valid point. Chandler is not conventionally attractive, and no amount of dance training will change that. I think that in auditions, Kelli and Judy may have liked that Chandler didn't look like everyone else, but when someone else came in and basically told them Chandler stands out because she's ugly, that girl didn't stand a chance. I feel like from the moment Tina said that, Chandler's fate was sealed. All the talk about how it was a "style" issue and it could be fixed with training but they were just out of time is just leading her on and giving her false hope.

• Love 2

I agree, TobyBelle. I've said that they should practice the entrance earlier, but you are right about the boots, too. And the advice about shutting the car door was terrific! Very constructive. I like watching the veterans coach the rookies. Wouldn't it be fun to see more of that?

• Love 4

I have to say Melissa's quote early in the season is spot on: "oh, Vivian. Vivian, Vivian, Vivian." What an absolute psychological mess she is. Wow. Everyone on here has said it well. To me, the best part of it was Kelli and Judy's faces. They were absolutely schooled in an interested and kind manner. Yet their eyes were saying "WTH is going on here?" When Viv schooled them on the definition of "Lucid Dream" is when I got the giggles. Kelli was like "yeah, I got that. I run a multimillion dollar industry here. Not a dumb person". I would love to see the poem in tjs entirety to see how absolutely crazy it is. Even if they edited heavily it was still way nuts. I wonder if she danced with it in her undies and was ready to pull it out as needed. Actually makes me LOL to picture her dancing with it in her panties the whole night. "Vivian, why are you moving so weird?" "I'm getting paper cuts on my groin". Just so bizarre. And she was one of my faves last year. This year I could not stand her.

I hope Vivian gets it together. I think she just lost her balance emotionally due to her past as a self-described "ugly duckling" compared to her new-found “fame” as a hottie and “star” of DCC: Making the Team. Melissa R. scoffed at her when she said she struggles with self confidence, but I believe her. Yeah, she’s vain but I think that stems from an underlying insecurity about her looks and self worth. Plus she seems a bit immature and just needs to learn how to go about things in the real world. Reading poetry to your bosses when you are already on thin ice with them is a prescription for disaster even if you are the second coming of Maya Angelou, which Vivian is not! Kelli and Judy seemed sympathetic to her when she told her tale of woe about her ex-boyfriend and she probably thought the poem would have the same result. She just didn’t get that for them it was about her performance, not her personal life or her soulful thoughts. I hope she develops some self awareness as she matures.  I believe she will. She’s a very pretty and personable young woman and hopefully will find her place in the world. I wish her well.

• Love 3

I just noticed this but when you see Victoria at her job she's working on a patient at min 7:44 she's working nicole bulcher !

That was probably fake. When we have had tv cameras come to my lab, they wanted to film what looked like us working with patients so we just used other people in the lab as fake patients. Plus Nicole already signed a release to appear on the show so having her sit in the chair means less paperwork.

I think the field practice is because Judy would have fewer changes to make as they don't have to block in all those that have already left.

I get that they don't necessarily want to set positions on the field for specific dances but they could definitely take the rookies out to the field and let them learn the entrance choreography with the arm waving and no skipping and shutting the car door much earlier in the season. They are just in straight lines when they do that so it wouldn't affect blocking and they could learn how big their steps have to be in order to hit the yard lines. In high school, my dance team always performed on the sidelines (even at halftime) but my college dance team always performed on the field. It was a big adjustment and it took me a few practices to get used to, so I feel like the rookies should get more than one practice working on the entrance before K&J start yelling at them for not hitting the lines perfectly.

They showed a blip of Melissa R in Kelly and Judy's office when they were doing that FASCINATING segment in the coffeehouse.

Her hair was so flat in that old clip that I'm surprised they let her go to practice like that. Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

The more I watch this episode, the worse I feel for Chandler.  I think she's adorable and if it weren't for the fact that she scrunches up her whole face when she smiles, she'd be a shoe-in.  I didn't see a problem with her dancing or her entrances- granted, I don't have the eye that K&J have, but neither does the average football watcher.  I really think they only kept her and hyper-focused on her dancing this episode so when they cut her it wouldn't solely be because of her looks.  I have a feeling there was some backlash when poor robot-girl a few seasons back was cut without any warning after her cameos went poorly, and they didn't want a repeat of that.

And the frustrating thing is, the smile can be fixed!  Just tell her not to smile so hard and she'll be fine.

Edited by ClosetBachJunkie

The one girl, Amy from season 7, was in Urgent Care the day before cameos because she got sick trying to lose weight to fit in the uniform. The scene where she was cut was heavily edited to make her look bad. Her sister went on facebook to defend her by telling her side of the story.

The one girl, Amy from season 7, was in Urgent Care the day before cameos because she got sick trying to lose weight to fit in the uniform. The scene where she was cut was heavily edited to make her look bad. Her sister went on facebook to defend her by telling her side of the story.

I had very strong suspicions that Amy's cut scene was edited to high heaven.  There's absolutely no way a girl that awkward in conversation would have made it past panel interviews during auditions.  I felt bad for her, and now I feel bad for Chandler.

• Love 1

And the frustrating thing is, the smile can be fixed!  Just tell her not to smile so hard and she'll be fine.

That's not an easy fix at all. Do you realize how hard it would be to stop yourself from smiling naturally all the time? Smiling is something we do without thinking. It's reflexive. It would be literally impossible to think about it all the time. Being a DCC requires a lot of BIG smiling. And even if Chandler was able to constantly control the state of her smile, then she'd just look insincere. I think K&J realized this, so of course it contributed to her cut. I'm not saying I like it, because I thought Chandler was precious, but it's just reality. Her full out smile just ain't cute.

Chandler in her resting face is beautiful and youthful. At the opening of the episode, she is shown stretching and she is very fresh faced. The transformation when she does a big smile is so odd. But I really like her and clearly so do the other girls who chanted for her to please come back out in the parking lot.

love love love the scene with Britney coaching her.

Re watching the last episode, when they were inside on night 2, Vivian was all kinds of wrong on the dance as were Ashley and Brelan. I also realized that those 3 must have been told to dance again together without the others bc everyone else disappeared just as Kelly and Judy lit into them.

Aside from everything else in Vivian's final moments, what annoyed me most were her words, I will be bigger than ever before. Why now? It's week 6/7. Shouldn't you have shown your power and projection LONG before the last week?

I felt really, really bad for Alexandra and Chandler. Poor Chandler.

I just didn't like that Chandler was warned the night before and then cut. I do think she could have made those changes but not with so little time/warning. i also noticed her makeup and hair looked a lot fresher and I thought she looked good! I don't know how much the jumbo tron played into that I don't recall a focus on that this season. I like Alexandra but she was given fair warning and correction and just couldn't quite get there. I hope she comes back next year stronger than ever.

I loved when Vivian attempted to school K&J on what a lucid dream is. Not exactly a teachable moment.

Especially because they pretty much edited out the part that would explain what lucid dream she was having about DCC.  The part that got to me the most, once I watched it again, what how very fake Vivian seemed when she got "choked up" reciting the line about how she loved the team, but then when she got cut, it was dry eyes, "this sucks," and basically announcements that she rocks as a "damn good performer."  Did she love the team, or thinking about all the attention and TV time and sex symbol status of being a DCC?

As for Chandler not getting warned til just before she got cut, I don't think that's how it went down.  Melissa had chosen her as one of the special few to work with early on in TC, so that makes me think that Kelli & Judy had already told Melissa and Chandler that there were some performance issues.  That was before she got called a grandma.  I will say that she did look more awkward dancing in the last episode, kind of like she didn't yet know what it really felt like to dance with a more sexy and fluid style and was still trying to feel that out.

Does anyone think Vivian will give it one more shot next year? Kelli said sorry to put an end to this two year journey, and Vivian's "this sucks" then gathering herself together before shaking Kelli and Judy's hands seems to indicate no. But a year is a long time.

Breelan could be this year's Morgan. But I think she has more going for her than Morgan did when she was accepted to the team. Quite frankly I was surprised when Morgan made it last year.

I was shocked when Morgan made it last year and I did kind of feel like we got Breelan shoved down our throats in the same way they shoved Morgan at us last year...but the biggest difference was I felt like Breelan actually HAD talent.  With Morgan, it felt like she made it simply because of her "single mom backstory bs".  Breelan had issues, but I felt like she made the team on her potential and talent.

I don't think Vivian will come back.  Lord, I HOPE Vivian doesn't come back.  I think Judy and Kelli were pretty clear to her that she was not what they are looking for.  Perhaps if she came back MUCH more mature she would have a prayer, but I don't think K & J would accept her back into TC again to give her the chance to prove she had stopped with the childish stuff.

• Love 1