Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E07: A Lucid Dream

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

I liked Melissa and thought she was genuine.  The coffee shop interlude looks like something the network thought would make a good scene and it kinda fell flat.  But that wasn't Melissa's fault.  I like that Melissa was brought in to mentor the rookie candidates in an open and friendly manner, that she really sought to help out the candidates most in need of a boost.  I liked it.

I know the show is DCC: Making the Team, but I would like to see a bit more of the veterans.  They're trying to make the team again too. I would have liked to see more of Danielle, Jasmine, Samantha, etc.

I really like Ashley P and Breelan.  They're just easy targets for Judy (and easy drama-fodder for the network) because they do get more rattled when they're picked on.  Early on in TC I thought Ashley was as good as Mary and Kelsey.  She's got power, the body and terrific looks.  But she's the one Judy picked at all the time. I think she'll do much better if she actually makes the team and can relax and focus on dancing without someone yelling at her constantly.

I do think the editing process makes it look like some girls - Ashley, Breelan, Caila, etc - have more trouble than others.  You can't tell me Victoria, Melissa, Mary and others training camp rookies picked up the routines sans mistakes and goofs.  Plus editing makes much of Judy's criticism look completely unhelpful.  "You're all a mess..." doesn't mold a cohesive team without detailed critiques on how to correct mistakes.  Judy and Kelly didn't make the DDC's a world class dance troupe with critiques like that.  I wouldn't mind this series being 12 weeks long so we can see more than berating without direction.

• Love 2

Not sure if anyone posted this but I guess K&J are getting ripped on social (haha, what else is new?) based on last night's episode. Jasmine just tweeted something in their defense. Everyone on the show is fair game for criticism and tweets from DCC just invite more drama IMO.

Anyone else notice the GIGANTIC bruise on the back of Katy's (?) thigh during kick line? Took up half her leg. Yikes and ew.

Edited by pink317

Victoria back story is actually super interesting why did they wait so late to show it's more interesting that half the other back stories !

I liked that they showed way more dancing !

• Love 2

Having nothing better to do this evening, I have transcribed Vivian's poem.   

A LUCID POEM

I wrote you this poem to be real with you.
So I could show you a little more I have to offer.
I found my dream a little later than most.
I knew it wouldn't be easy to reach.
God knows how much my instructors struggled to teach.
Dancing was a gift I was given one day,
When my blue skies turned gray and dull.
Gosh, why can't I retain routines in my skull?

It's been a long haul of changes and growing.
Seeming to be quite endless.

You wanted to see transparency, power, projection
and never pretentious.

I want you to know I take you very seriously.
Every breath that comes from your mouths.
With as much sincerity that a couple
Would express in their vows.

I love this team.
What it stands for
Excellence and
Nothing but the best.
I know my spot was never
A guarantee.
I hope that you still see fire in me.
Please don't give up on me.

Edited by Dopeydwarf

Having nothing better to do this evening, I have transcribed Vivian's poem.   

A LUCID POEM

I wrote you this poem to be real with you.

So I could show you a little more I have to offer.

I found my dream a little later than most.

I knew it wouldn't be easy to reach.

God knows how much my instructors struggled to teach.

Dancing was a gift I was given one day,

When my blue skies turned gray and dull.

Gosh, why can't I retain routines in my skull?

It's been a long haul of changes and growing.

Seeming to be quite endless.

You wanted to see transparency, power, projection

and never pretentious.

I want you to know I take you very seriously.

Every breath that comes from your mouths.

With as much sincerity that a couple

Would express in their vows.

I love this team.

What it stands for

Excellence and

Nothing but the best.

I know my spot was never

A guarantee.

I hope that you still see fire in me.

Please don't give up on me.

Wow that was long. I wonder if she'll  write one to the director of the Ice Angels.

I checked out the MTT Facebook page. I hope she doesn't read it.

Edited by MrsEVH

Dear LAWD was this episode brutal.  Still, I can see why all three girls were cut.  If Alexandra comes back next year stronger with both her splits and flexibility improved, girl is GOLDEN (especially if she stays a lot like she was this year, articulate, beautiful, and willing to put in both the hard work and effort).  I don't see that being told she's practically perfect for the team if she improves on a few (reletively minor) things will go to her head.  She seems mature enough to handle it.  

Sadly, for Chandler, she'll need to mature more as a performer before she'd be even close to the field.  I don't know whether it's fortunate or unfortunate that Chandler's so expressive with her face.  She'll really need to work on things like smiling without showing so much gum (which might help with the wrinkles at the corners of her eyes as well), etc.  When she's natural, she's gorgeous.  However, there are times when it's really . . . off and not just when she's performing.  I don't know if she'll return or make it back to Training Camp if she does.  I really hope she doesn't go in for plastic surgery however.  That wouldn't help her and could possibly really mess things up for her.

Vivian, Vivian, Vivian.  You've been told so many times in so many ways to stop screwing up.   I can understand being tired and frustrated at being picked on all the time (especially when learning the field), but Vivian didn't even seem to be fixing anything, much less even LOOK like she cared enough to fix it..  Every time we saw her, she was always too early or too late on the counts, both with the arms and with the feet, while most of the other girls were picking it up enough to not have the same things repeated over and over again.  She's been told numerous times that she's inconsistant when dancing which I don't remember her EVER being told that last year.  I wouldn't be surprised if she had thought she was already on the squad and didn't have to work so hard or put in the effort the other girls did (including the vets) to get there.  After the poetry reading, being told that she had two years to work on this when the others didn't, etc. I don't think that Vivian will be back.  I think she's so over this and doesn't want to put herself through it again.  Even if she does try out again, I don't think she'll be invited back into Training Camp.  She didn't seem defeated so much as pissed off that Judy and Kelly weren't as wrapped up in the glory of Vivian as Vivian herself was.

• Love 3

I guess I'll start by going through the girls one at a time:

Alexandra: Yeah, I teared up, too, even though I already knew. It seemed like everyone liked her. A class act.

Ashley: I do like her, but she seems so delicate. I guess I shouldn't judge, because I'm a cryer, too, but even Melissa seemed kind of surprised that she was crying outside the coffee shop.

Breelan: Once again, when they briefly showed her smiling, she looked pretty and natural, and not at all scared. I still think she's getting a bad edit for TV drama's sake.

Chandler: So correct me if I am wrong, but for five weeks they didn't really have a problem with Chandler's dancing, but the last week when they went into the stadium she struggled with fluidity and got cut? Because there wasn't enough time? It seems to me her movement issues were easily fixed. Perhaps they should go to the stadium earlier or more frequently. Also, I'm pretty sure her smile can be corrected by an orthodontist. I like her; she's another class act. PS I want her abs.

Victoria: I like her, too. She seems very real, like a regular, pretty girl who can dance and string two sentences together. Why are bright, attractive, talented, normal girls so hard to find?

Vivian: I know this has kind of turned into the Vivian show, but that's only because she is reality TV gold. I just wish she was on some other show. More fake smiles and fake crying, ugh. She's so rehearsed; she reminds me of the pageant kids on Toddlers & Tiaras mugging at the judges. I thought it was interesting that Kelli never actually said that it was her last night. Vivian just assumed and walked out.

Still not enough dancing for me. Also, when they do show dancing, they edit it with really fast cuts so it's very hard to tell who's who. It bugs.

And finally, I agree, something needs to change if they want to up the talent level. I say it every year, but they should be swarming with excellent dancers. Look how many great high school and college dancers there are in Texas alone, let alone the rest of the country. Why aren't there at least 100 ridiculously talented girls with no flaws trying out every year among the 500? Maybe they should loosen the purse strings a little bit.

• Love 1

Vivian. I just can't. I want to slap her into next year. The whole combo of: 1. Crying to the camera before going into the office about how she deserves to stay, and 2. Whining to K&J that she wasn't the only girl making mistakes on the field, and 3. The super awkward, cringe-worthy poem, and 4. Saying that "this really sucks" when the news was delivered before awkwardly shaking hands with K&J while glowering down at them, and 5. THEN proclaiming that she is a "damn good dancer and a damn good performer" and she deserves to stay. Are. You. Effing. Serious? The whole series of events just kind of made me mad.

I cannot believe she is the captain of the Ice Angels. That is pure lunacy.

So yeah, sad face that Chandler and Alexandra got cut, because they both seemed like humble and lovely girls. Vivian can suck an egg.

• Love 3

If Breelan makes the team it will be for hair diversity.

LOL! I think this is partly true for sure! I like Breelan, though. I'd guess that K&J are hoping that id she makes the team, she won't have confidence issues anymore and she will be more powerful. I think this is true for Caila, too.

I don't think this episode showed K&J to be racist at all.  They showed that they really wanted Alexandra on the team, but she wasn't ready.  They cut a blonde girl.  They cut Vivian because she is cray not because of her race.

I do hope that Alexandra tries out again next year and makes the team. From twitter, it seems like she is keeping touch with the girls on the team so hopefully, she is working on things and will be ready next year!

I can't tell if Ashley is a good dancer or not but she is gorgeous and I think that is why she is still getting time even if she needs work. I think Judy would have cut her for dance but Kelli likes her look and personality.

No words for Vivian.

Edited by iloveit
  • Love 2

I loved when Vivian attempted to school K&J on what a lucid dream is. Not exactly a teachable moment.

The worst part of the poem for me is the part about comparing how serious she takes every breath that comes out of K&J mouths to a couple's marriage vows.

• Love 2

Is it not inappropriate that they allow audition judges to judge people in their employment, like in this episode Victoria said her employer, the official DCC dentist, had encouraged her to audition but he was also judging her?  Seems like if the candidate is a family member or employee they should not get a vote.

Along those same lines, do you think that Kelli, Judy and Charlotte seriously take the feedback of all judges equally? They would take the votes of the DCC dentist (or hairstylist, etc.) on the same level as a judge who is a professional dance instructor/choreographer? Seems strange to me.

The whole thing with Vivian was bizarre and cringe worthy but the worst of it, IMO, was her little speech at the end about being a damn fine dancer and performer and deserving to stay.  Ummm...No, Viv.  The two people who run this team have been telling you for weeks that you are NOT dancing well or performing up to par so you DONT deserve to stay, you self-centered little ego maniac.  I really do wonder what she hoped to accomplish with that poem.  Were K & J supposed to be so touched that she said their every words are as important as wedding vows that they would let her stay?  Were they supposed to think she had lost her mind and not want to anger her?  The girl has made a complete ass of herself on national television and I can't believe she actually made captain of another squad!

Like everyone else, I felt bad for Alexandra, but I do agree with K & J that she wasn't ready this year,  I hope she takes the next 12 months to really work on things and comes back next year (and comes back as likeable as she was this time, without a penchant for staring in the mirror or writing Jr High grade poetry).  Her makeover this year was incredible and it's obvious that she has been working really hard while in TC.  She can definitely be a "total package" girl next year!

I cant believe Melissa R seriously said that her life's accomplishments would include getting Breelan on the team (love how she mentioned the Mirror Ball trophy...they had actually gone through most of the episode without mentioning she was on DWTS...cant have that!).  I actually kind of like Breelan but the scared look perpetually on her face and her tendency to pull her chin in are starting to get on my nerves.  I really don't understand what Melissa's obsession with her is.  I would rather see more of Mary than her. 

I am just about over Caila too.  I think she is just too young at this point.  Even if her dancing skills were amazing and she did everything flawlessly, I cant imagine her doing very well with interviews or being a representative for the organization.  I don't dislike her, but I feel like she needs a few more years of living under her belt.

• Love 1

Along those same lines, do you think that Kelli, Judy and Charlotte seriously take the feedback of all judges equally? They would take the votes of the DCC dentist (or hairstylist, etc.) on the same level as a judge who is a professional dance instructor/choreographer? Seems strange to me.

I'm sure they don't take anyone's feedback as seriously as their own opinions, but when the team dances at games or random performances it's for people like the dentist. Maybe he can't tell that a dancer has or hasn't had years of technique training, but he can tell if she looks good and he enjoys watching her. I know they've shown K, J, & C take it into consideration when they had a candidate as a maybe and all the men say yes.

That whole thing with Victoria kind of creeped me out. Not necessarily from Victoria, who seemed nice, but he's her boss and then judging her while she essentially danced in lingerie (the audition outfit with a garter and lacey top)..

• Love 1

Is it not inappropriate that they allow audition judges to judge people in their employment, like in this episode Victoria said her employer, the official DCC dentist, had encouraged her to audition but he was also judging her?  Seems like if the candidate is a family member or employee they should not get a vote.

When Cassie (Judy's daughter) auditioned, she had to sit out and refrain from putting in her input.  I'm sure they had Victoria's boss do the same thing.  No, I don't think K&J take all the judge's feedback equally.  In the end, it always comes down to which girls K&J think are right for the team.

• Love 1

Once again, this is entertainment. It's not fair. It doesn't have to be fair. The girl who worked for the dentist is good enough to make the team with or without his vote, but this isn't the Olympics, the military or a court of law. They can put whomever they damn well please on the team.

• Love 2

And finally, I agree, something needs to change if they want to up the talent level. I say it every year, but they should be swarming with excellent dancers. Look how many great high school and college dancers there are in Texas alone, let alone the rest of the country. Why aren't there at least 100 ridiculously talented girls with no flaws trying out every year among the 500? Maybe they should loosen the purse strings a little bit.

That's because they don't pay.  It's not a job, it's a hobby, last season they didn't even pay minimum wage (this may have changed because of the lawsuits that the other teams have brought).  If they paid union wages they'd be able to have the entire squad with perfect dancers and have them learn all the routines in a week and it would be perfect.  But all the dancers that are that talented are working in jobs that pay union wages (generally LA, Vegas or NY)

• Love 5

Two life accomplishments-winning a trophy after beating out a group of "c" celebrities on a reality television show and helping a TC candidate become a DCC. Yes, this is something to be proud of. *lol*

I have read the comments on the CMT DCC Making the Team, and the majority of the comments are not pro-Melissa. She might be shown the door if the show comes back for another season. Good idea to bringing back a former DCC, but bad delivery and outcome of said idea.

Two life accomplishments-winning a trophy after beating out a group of "c" celebrities on a reality television show and helping a TC candidate become a DCC. Yes, this is something to be proud of. *lol*

I have read the comments on the CMT DCC Making the Team, and the majority of the comments are not pro-Melissa. She might be shown the door if the show comes back for another season. Good idea to being back a former DCC, bad delivery and outcome of said idea.

Well she did say her family, first, and I don't see a Mirror Ball Trophy on me shelf......

I think those accomplishments are pretty good. Her family came first, and her career has been in entertainment of one sort of the other, so I get it.

I had to fast forward through Vivian's dramatic reading. She is unwatchable. Last season I was pulling for her.

I'm just curious about the tempo when they first take the field and have to be on the chalk line every few counts. Is it useful to have Judy yelling the counts, or would it be better to use the actual music they'll have. Is Judy's rhythm that perfect that it's exactly the same tempo as the real music? Because they sure made a big deal about having your foot on that chalk line.

I don't think Alexandra is very talented. I can't remember if she has formal dance training, but she seems to be missing very basic form. Most trained dancers, be they eight years old or 40, instinctively keep tension and form in their feet. Alexandra has "sloppy feet." There are an awful lot of pale-skinned DCCs, so maybe her positive story arc this season was to try to offset criticism of that.

I couldn't watch Vivian's ejection; it was too embarrassing and cringe-worthy. But the bottom line for me is she was not bringing her A dance game in training camp.

I'm still not seeing high-quality feedback from Judy and Kelly. Judy seems like more of a choreagrapher than an instructor, and Kelly's guidance is just based on very specific things that bug her. I know they both know what a great DCC looks and performs like, but I don't hear skilled instruction on what that is. I think the dancers get better dance instruction from Kitty and guest choreagraphers, but we don't see much of that.

• Love 2

I have to say again how much I loved Vivian last season and was really disappointed when she was cut for her body.  I really thought Kelli and Judy were so focused on their ideal of what a DCC should look like that they forgot who the primary DCC audience is- drunk men at football games.

This season, though, I really disliked Vivian and am not sorry to see her go.  I don't even have words for that poem of hers.

• Love 1

Can anyone please tell me what Vivian's response to Kim's post means?

Kim ‏@tkhart85  22h
@AAIA_Vivian I'm sorry but that wasn't a poem.
Reply  Retweet  Favorite   More

Follow

Vivian Ralena
‏@AAIA_Vivian
@tkhart85 I agree, but what I wrote was.

I'm still staring at it. Perhaps I should squint for awhile...

Edited by Dopeydwarf

Can anyone please tell me what Vivian's response to Kim's post means?

Kim ‏@tkhart85  22h

@AAIA_Vivian I'm sorry but that wasn't a poem.

Reply  Retweet  Favorite   More

Follow

Vivian Ralena

‏@AAIA_Vivian

@tkhart85 I agree, but what I wrote was.

I'm still staring at it. Perhaps I should squint for awhile...

I suspect what she wrote and what appeared on TV was quite different.  It was almost certainly edited a great deal.

• Love 2

I wonder if Vivian means that the TV cutting and editing meant that it didn't sound like a poem to us viewers - when the actual full text was a poem...

I also wonder if she can't be more clear because their contracts with CMT have strict clauses restraining them from implying that the footage altered things in any way....most participants in reality shows claim the footage exaggerated things, but it seems to me that TCCs don't...

Sorry, crossed with you ClosetBachJunkie!!

The poem was definitely edited way down from its full form. It was written on the front and back of a piece of notebook paper. With that said, what we heard was enough to get the idea that it was hot garbage. I have a hard time believing that the segments not aired were any less bad.

• Love 3

Even if Judy and Kelly didn't explicitly tell Vivian "Tonight will be your last night", it was obvious even to Vivian that she was cut.  She might have been clueless and oblivious to a lot of things that Judy and Kelly were telling her, but that wasn't something Viv could have overlooked (though it really SHOULD have been said explicitly to leave no doubt in Vivian's mind).  It was Vivian's behavior immediately after that made me wonder.  She had stood up, shook their hands and walked out, telling the camera what she should have told Judy and Kelly (though she really should had brought THAT attitude to Training Camp and a lot sooner).  If Vivian had performed in Training Camp at the level she brought last year and dropped the attitude, she would be on the team by now.  I still can't believe that she threw other TCC under the bus.  I'm glad Judy and Kelly called her on that and pointed out that, unlike Vivian, this is the first time for most of the rookies to be there.  WIthout saying it in so many words, Vivian was told "You should have been better than they were at that point.  You've had more time than they did to improve and correct."

If Vivian had been warned repeatedly before last episode (and I'm fairly certain she had) about looking in the mirror too much and not dancing up to her known ability, then Vivian KNEW she wasn't dancing at the level needed to make the team and didn't seem to care.  We've heard time and again that both Alexandra and Chandler made corrections (when they knew what was meant in those corrections) and improved.  Vivian was also given instructions (and most of the corrections I remember Vivian receiving were direct and to the point), but didn't correct them.  She didn't seem to feel the need to.  She seemed to feel that she was going to walk straight onto the team regardless of the corrections received.

I suspect what she wrote and what appeared on TV was quite different.  It was almost certainly edited a great deal.

When Vivian took the page out of her shorts, it looked to me as though it was filled with writing, front and back.  What was aired was considerably shorten.

• Love 1

In all truth, I like Vivian.  But she was a square peg in the round DCC holes.  That was apparent last year at try outs when she did the tin man routine.  I mean, really?  DCC: Making the Team had already aired 7 seasons and she thought a tin man routine was appropriate?  Right there she showed she wasn't the round hole type.  The DCC "type" is very specific: beautiful and thin, big-ish hair, somewhat conservative off the field, good dancer, intelligent (or able to fake it well), and able to fall in line with all the other candidates - standing out while not actually standing out.  Vivian was always going to stand out.  She was much more sultry than the other candidates, not really the girl next door.  That Vivian thought it appropriate to compose and read that long "poem of the heart" to Judy and Kelly just shows again she's a road-less-traveled kinda person.  Her burning desire to be a DCC aside, she would never have fit into the mold while being true to herself.  Anyway, I wish her well. :)

Edited by Kaedee
  • Love 2

When Vivian took the page out of her shorts, it looked to me as though it was filled with writing, front and back.  What was aired was considerably shorten.

From her Twitter:

Vivian Ralena @AAIA_Vivian     ·   2h   

At the end of the day I know what is right, and what is true. Sometimes you are used, sometimes your… http://instagram.com/p/tOZaIorGjo/

Check out the Instagram comments.

From her Twitter:

Vivian Ralena @AAIan     ·   2h   

At the end of the day I know what is right, and what is true. Sometimes you are used, sometimes your… http://instagram.com/p/tOZaIorGjo/

Check out the Instagram comments.

Some nice comments and I'm glad Vivian still has her fans. I thought the last one I read was hysterical; "I guess I was watching a different show. I thought she was a self centered fake crying wacko." LOL

What I find odd is that after 9 seasons people are criticizing Kelly and Judy for their critiques and getting onto candidates for their weight when the DCC type hasn't changed much since the show has aired. Weird.

• Love 1

http://www.imagebam.com/image/1af271352735155

Someone posted this on the imdb DCC MTT board.

Whoa - if that is a bruise I wonder how in the heck she did it. Wow.

I will admit that sometimes I will get some pretty bad bruises on my thighs and I'll have no idea what I did to get them (some women just bruise really easily on their thighs), but nothing anywhere near that big. Guess it's not a big deal or really sore cause she can still do kick line, but still...

I'm not familiar w/ the tape that someone above said it could be - doesn't look like it could be tape cause it's not straight across?

I'm familiar with K-Tape... And, in that case, it's probably to help healing a quadriceps strain... And with that amount of K-Tape placed that way, it helps a lot in draining, etc... (sorry, I'm not familiar with the anatomy vocabulary in English, but I'm hoping you understand what I'm trying to explain :/)

Unless I'm missing something (wouldn't be the first time), didn't we have a poster on here (or someone who knew someone) who made it to Training Camp?  If so, how's she doing there?  I remember no real names were mentioned, but I think a screen-name was mentioned at least once.