Type keyword(s) to search

ion: Positively Police-y

Actionmage
  • Start Topic

Hi!

I have been inundated with promos for Blue Bloods and Rookie Blue, which start airing episodes at the end of this month. I'm fine with that, with either show, and agree that both can be uplifting viewing (though I do not watch either). Yet, the channel is highly skewed to police procedurals as is. Isn't there any uplifting medical shows or other genres that can fit under the broad umbrella of "uplifting"?

This is not to knock the network; I can lose chunks of time with Cold Case and Leverage is my personal favorite. I'd watch episodes on a continuous loop if  ion would run them that way.

These are the shows that ion has listed on their site (http://www.iontelevision.com/shows): Criminal Minds, The Listener, Burn Notice, Blue Bloods, Cold Case, Flashpoint, Law & Order: Criminal Intent, Leverage, Married...With Children, Monk, Numb3rs, psych, Rookie Blue, at the movies, and entv. So of the 15 shows, 10 are police/private eye shows. There is one comedy, time for theatrical movies, and a show that is a minute long twice a day on two days of the week. There are two shows that deal with extra-legal wrong-righting.

As I said before, I am not hating ion. I watch it intentionally and enjoy a good half of the shows they offer. I just wonder if there is any other uplifting/positive programming that could be shown?

My beef is with IonLIFE. I declare it airs the exact same show for entire week, in the SAME time slot.

I watch a lot of late night makeover shows. But it's the SAME Designer Rivals episode in the same hour for the whole week, and the same "Neat" in the same hour, and the same "So Chic" -- and the same "Room to Go."

What network DOES THAT? that same show in the same hour five nights in a row. Even networks that repeat shows that much VARY THE HOUR that the show airs!

I've heard of block programming but this is ridiculous.

• Love 1
As I said before, I am not hating ion. I watch it intentionally and enjoy a good half of the shows they offer. I just wonder if there is any other uplifting/positive programming that could be shown?

The thing is...it did. Under its old brand, Pax. And we know where Pax is now.

Love or hate Ion, the police formula seems to be keeping Ion afloat well enough. I guess people like their cop show fix. (And I admit to watching the L&O: CI Saturday marathon myself, so take it for what it's worth.) I think - aside from Pax which lasted, I think, for about a decade - that this is the most success this station has had or will have.

• Love 1

What I thought was amusing/missing the point, was on old promo ion had for Flashpoint.

Trying to point out the positivity, Ed Lane, one of the team's snipers, looks to the camera and says, "There's always a solution." 

I am certain the meaning was to point out that the SRU try every means before violence, however in the first episode of the series, it is explained that for the SRU, and snipers in particular, the phrase "I have the solution" meant that they had a clear, clean shot at their target!

While I would feel safer with Ed Lane on scene, hearing him intone that he had a solution would tend to negate that, for me anyway. *g*

Edited by Actionmage
  • Love 1

I'm glad ION (and A&E) have marathons of Criminal Minds. I never watched the show until earlier this year when I caught an episode on CBS. It's now sort of a go-to if nothing else interests me. Also, there are plenty of episodes so it will be awhile before I'll run through them. 

But ion has its moments of "what?", too. I recall watching a L&O: CI episode called "Semi-Professional" from S1. Goren was reading a passage from a book to a perp about what a judge wrote about said perp, and there was a line, "he pissed his pants", that ion edited out. What ion deemed offensive about that, I cannot figure out.

What ion deemed offensive about that, I cannot figure out.

It may be the old standby of bodily excretion being discouraged.  Where "taking the piss out of" someone isn't as horrible as reminding folks that waste leaves their body. My question is: are they consistent within the show, at least?  If not that could be a difference between NBC (original censors) and ion, maybe?

It may be the old standby of bodily excretion being discouraged.  Where "taking the piss out of" someone isn't as horrible as reminding folks that waste leaves their body. My question is: are they consistent within the show, at least?  If not that could be a difference between NBC (original censors) and ion, maybe?

Other colorful stuff has gone through, so it seems pick and choose. Shrug. I guess ion has a bias against urine.  :-)

• Love 1

I noticed that censoring too, but offhand I can't think of another one when watching L & O: CI on Ion, however I do think they seem to run more commercials than USA  does when they show it so are possibly editing the show more in general.

• Love 1

Well they are an over the air broadcaster and I have occasionally had that problem with them even when they are being carried by a cable company.  Don't know why but it did happen to me too with Cablevision.

ETA:  Oh you said over the air, sorry shapeshifter.  Sometimes I have to be sure my indoor antenna cables don't overlap with some other wire, it can cause interference.  My METV reception was unwatchable over Tivo recently until I took it off the splitter with my regular TV tuner.

Edited by roseha

Thank you roseha, it did happen shortly after I dusted around the wires/cables. I tried tightening but didn't think about overlap. I just tried reconnecting with less overlap--it's kind of spaghetti because I do have it split to the DVR (Target purchase--not the kind you get from a cable company) but I didn't see much change. I think I need to move my antenna back over to the other window. Maybe because we just passed the winter solstice? Can that make a difference? Every few months I lose a station (CBS, NBC, METV) and usually get it back by moving the antenna (Leaf brand) a few feet to the left or right. The signal is coming from 30 miles away and I am on the ground floor with fence, buildings, and trees between me and open air--so not ideal. But cutting cable is one of the things I did in hopes of retiring when I really shouldn't be working anymore (mind and body not up to the tasks).

Anyway, ION programming is usually pretty good--except some of the Criminal Minds stuff is not watchable for me.

Hi shapeshifter, I currently have both cable and over-the-air with my Tivo, but I do like to watch some channels OTA, either because they come in better (or aren't on cable) or because I can record them from Tivo to my PC which TWC won't let me do.  Regarding your question, the place I go for this kind of thing is AVS Forum, here's the link for Chicago over the air questions:  http://www.avsforum.com/forum/45-local-hdtv-info-reception/815397-chicago-il-ota-408.html

I had the worst time trying to get METV from Times Square - about 2 miles away - till someone at AVS Forum suggested putting the rabbit ears antenna in the window with the "ears" as horizontal as possible.  Whether that will work for you I'm not sure but if the leaf isn't working maybe a pair of $25 rabbit ears like those I got from Radio Shack is worth a try?

Oh I and I watch ION too, when I get a chance to re-view some of my favorite Law and Order Criminal Intent episodes...trying to stay on topic, heh.

Edited by roseha
  • Love 2

Thanks, roseha. It seems I just have to move my antenna a foot or two one way or the other every month or so for no apparent reason, and I can live with that.

I was home from work today. They had a Numb3rs marathon from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. CST. They're going to be doing this on Wednesdays for awhile.

Thanks, roseha. It seems I just have to move my antenna a foot or two one way or the other every month or so for no apparent reason, and I can live with that.

I was home from work today. They had a Numb3rs marathon from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. CST. They're going to be doing this on Wednesdays for awhile.

It appears ion is moving a lot around beginning this month. I know it is adding the (very!) short-lived Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior - it only ran for 3 months on CBS back in 2011 and got cancelled - and is placing that on Saturdays for a marathon or something and the Law & Order: Criminal Intent marathon is being moved from Saturdays for that to Fridays at 6:00 p.m. until 3:00 a.m. Saturdays, and just a bunch of schedule hopping, from the looks of things. I see Cold Case remains on Wednesdays but now starts at 6:00 p.m. rather than 4:00 p.m. as another example. I guess it's to accommodate new offerings but it gets confusing, trying to find when show A or show B airs!

...it gets confusing, trying to find when show A or show B airs!

Yes. I have set up an account with Zap2it so I can login and see my "favorite" local schedule. I don't know what this link will show where you are, but for me it shows all of ION for the next week in my locale:

tvschedule.zap2it.com/tvlistings/ZCSGrid.do?stnNum=24024&channel=38.1&aid=tvschedule

So I am going to record the two highest rated (on IMDb) episodes of Numb3rs next Wednesday: "Backscatter" and "Two Daughters."

Edited by shapeshifter

Yes. I have set up an account with Zap2it so I can login and see my "favorite" local schedule. I don't know what this link will show where you are, but for me it shows all of ION for the next week in my locale:

tvschedule.zap2it.com/tvlistings/ZCSGrid.do?stnNum=24024&channel=38.1&aid=tvschedule

So I am going to record the two highest rated (on IMDb) episodes of Numb3rs next Wednesday: "Backscatter" and "Two Daughters."

Thanks for that link, @shapeshifter!

• Love 1

Lowell W. Paxson passed away, and this snippet was from his obituary ...

"Mr. Paxson sold his company’s radio division to Clear Channel Communications in 1997 and concentrated on television. In August 1998, his network, PAX TV, was started, with an emphasis on programming free of violence, explicit sex and vulgar language. Its prime-time schedule featured reruns of mild-mannered dramas including “Touched by an Angel,” “Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman” and “Diagnosis Murder.”

"NBC paid $415 million for a minority interest in Paxson in 1999, but the two companies had a turbulent relationship. After protracted negotiations, Mr. Paxson stepped down and was replaced by an NBC executive, Brandon Burgess, who changed the programming to more hard-edge fare. The company is now called Ion Media Networks."

I guess police dramas are hard-edge. I doubt they'll be picking up Adam-12.

Mr. Paxson founded HSN. He had an interesting life.

• Love 2

I guess police dramas are hard-edge.

Compared to Sue Thomas F.B. Eye, Mysterious Ways and Doc, yeah. Flashpoint, Law & Order: Criminal Intent and The Listener probably seem harder when compared to Mr. Paxson's original drama line-up. Especially using the  metrics of "free of violence, explicit sex and vulgar language."

He seemed impressive and ready to grab an opportunity when it swung by. My condolences go out to his family.

I wonder why ION decided on the rights to Criminal Intent: Suspect Behavior since, as I recall, it only aired for three months on CBS? Just to say it has the whole franchise (thus far)? If it had ran a whole season, sure. But three months? I didn't think ANY show could get an off-network deal with so few episodes.

• Love 1

It was probably really cheap, and they know how popular their Criminal Minds re-runs are?

I appreciate having a place to watch Cold Case reruns, given that the show is probably never going to be released on DVD.

I'm amused by and delight in their low-budget Christmas movies that are always shot in Los Angeles during the summer. They're endearingly cheap and always star 90's has-been actors. I think it's probably inevitable they'll move into original programming again at some point, but probably not for a couple more years.

I think it's probably inevitable they'll move into original programming again at some point, but probably not for a couple more years.

I don't know. It looks like the crime formula has finally proven successful for the network along with the weekend movies and such.

But I guess we'll see!

Looks like ION is changing things around again. Come next week, Cold Case and Ghost Whisperer, among others, are having marathons, with the former airing in what is currently Rookie Blue and L&O:CI  Not sure what is up with the latter as, after this Friday, it is not on the schedule, but the schedule doesn't go the full two weeks, so it'll be telling if it returns on the 10th of April, has moved once more, or is now gone. (Related, I know Cloo is showing the entire series as I type, as a "Goodbye, CI!" marathon, airing 24/7 through 3/31, when the final episode airs. I looked and it looks like SVU is also dropped there. So I don't know what it means, if anything, since USA and MyNetwork are still airing those for now.)

If you watch ION and love the Law & Order franchise, you'll be in heaven come September. I was watching L&O: CI when a commercial for L&O: SVU came on. It begins on 9/25. On their site, the Mothership is now also among the shows and begins on 9/23. Both will air at 9:00 a.m. ET.

Since L&O: CI has not been removed with the recent site update, I am assuming ION will be airing all three.

CI and the Mothership on ION?  Thanks Wendy, now I really have to get the Tivo fixed!

ION showing LOCI's "Boots on the Ground" tonight at 10PM Eastern...my favorite of Season 10, especially for the scene in jail between Goren and the mother.

ION showing LOCI's "Boots on the Ground" tonight at 10PM Eastern...my favorite of Season 10

My favorite from S10 is on next, "The Last Street In Manhattan".  :-)  Good luck with getting the TiVo fixed, roseha!

I loved seeing that scene between Bobby and the victim's mother again just now.  "After we left, did you cry?"

ION has used the "do you believe in anything beyond that badge?" part in their commercials for the show, too.

Starting on September 23rd, ION will air a variant of L&O for three days straight per week:

The Mothership will be on Wednesdays from 9 a.m. to 3 a.m. Thursday morning.

L&O: CI is moving to Thursday mornings as of the 24th, also from 9 a.m. to 3 a.m. Friday morning.

And L&O: SVU is taking CI's old Friday slot and is also airing from 9 a.m. until 3 a.m. on Saturday morning.

So, I guess one could say an L&O channel has happened (or will) after all!

ETA: And on Saturdays, as of the 26th, it looks like all three will air in blocks throughout the day with CI from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m., then SVU from 4 to 11, and the Mothership from 11 p.m. to 3 a.m.

• Love 1

Looks like ION's website has been completely overhauled. Looks pretty good. Although it is a lot more image oriented than the old design.

Nice to see all the web page real estate for Saving Hope.

The ION signal got "blocky" (if you know what I mean) yesterday and then quit altogether during the storm.

The much more signal-reliable WCIU (Chicago Illinois United States) aka "The U" is also way more police-y these days with Hill Street Blues, NYPD Blue and others now airing daily.

At my place, using a Mohu antenna, it comes in at 26.4

Edited by shapeshifter

The L&O palooza is apparently this week only. CI returns to Fridays next week, 10/2, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. SVU moves to Saturdays on the 3rd from 9 a.m. to 1 a.m., and the Mothership will be on a short window late Saturday night from 11 p.m. until 3 a.m.

Will this pattern last? Who knows? ION seems to be all over the map!

I wonder if ION is in trouble? I say this because its home page used to have repeats of Canadian fare along with the usual suspects. But now, the only Canadian show is Private Eyes. And only 8 shows on the home page in total, when there used to be a whole lot more.

All that remains now are all the Law & Order shows (Mothership, CI, SVU), Chicago PD, Blue Bloods, Criminal Minds, NCIS: LA, and the aforementioned Private Eyes.

So it looks here.

15 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I wonder if ION is in trouble? I say this because its home page used to have repeats of Canadian fare along with the usual suspects. But now, the only Canadian show is Private Eyes. And only 8 shows on the home page in total, when there used to be a whole lot more.

All that remains now are all the Law & Order shows (Mothership, CI, SVU), Chicago PD, Blue Bloods, Criminal Minds, NCIS: LA, and the aforementioned Private Eyes.

So it looks here.

Try this link: https://iontelevision.com/schedule/

A lot of networks (especially over-the-air network affiliates) are shaking up their schedules this time of year. 

The CW --which used to be on channel 9 in the Chicago area but which has been on 50 for quite a few years now-- is now moving to 26. 
They're advertising the switch heavily, but the CW has a lot of original, scripted shows.

2 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

A lot of networks (especially over-the-air network affiliates) are shaking up their schedules this time of year. 

The CW --which used to be on channel 9 in the Chicago area but which has been on 50 for quite a few years now-- is now moving to 26. 
They're advertising the switch heavily, but the CW has a lot of original, scripted shows.

Yeah, but it seems ION has less shows it pays for than previous. Only eight on the homepage. I do know our local affiliate for ION is relocating its transmitter. 

Anyway, as one that watches the station for Law & Order as well as Law & Order: Criminal Intent, I hope it isn't dying out as its prior channel, PAX did!

• Love 1
On 9/3/2019 at 3:15 AM, WendyCR72 said:

So it looks here.

On 9/3/2019 at 7:06 PM, shapeshifter said:

23 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Yeah, but it seems ION has less shows it pays for than previous. Only eight on the homepage. I do know our local affiliate for ION is relocating its transmitter. 

Anyway, as one that watches the station for Law & Order as well as Law & Order: Criminal Intent, I hope it isn't dying out as its prior channel, PAX did!

I don't think there's any reason to believe ION is in any sort of trouble since the reduction in the number of series it's carrying isn't accompanied by an increase in infomercials or any sort of similar deals (which is usually the warning sign to watch out for - it's what happened when PAX was dying and becoming ION). I wonder if it's a not a smart move given that the majority of the ratings and revenues generated by them and their competitors come from a relatively small core of procedurals to just focus on those series and not feel the need to bring in other less profitable series to try to differentiate themselves? Also given that I have seen a few stories in the past few years about them being acquired (since apparently the media business won't be happy until everyone is owned by 2 companies) it might make sense to limit the number of ongoing deals they have since it would be a potential complication in completing any deal and they might end up paying for series they don't end up showing while they run the programming produced by a new owner?

Edited by wknt3
fixed typos
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Ion Plus still runs the the Canadian show, The Listener all day on Monday and Tuesday. 

What I find interesting about both Ion and Ion Plus is the number of "positive" and family values ads. I am always suspicious of them, but I can't really find anything too objectionable.

14 hours ago, friendperidot said:

Ion Plus still runs the the Canadian show, The Listener all day on Monday and Tuesday. 

What I find interesting about both Ion and Ion Plus is the number of "positive" and family values ads. I am always suspicious of them, but I can't really find anything too objectionable.

No doubt those are remnants of ION's former PAX roots. From what I read long ago, the family that originally owned the channel still has minority stake in ION (with then (?)-NBC Universal holding majority. As I think NBCU is no more [could be wrong/wasn't it broken up?], maybe Universal alone has majority stake?) In any case, it would still explain the family values ads. Even if those ads seem to stand out amongst the grittier programming that ION runs versus the wholesomeness that was PAX.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

It makes me think about how whatever channel name Freeform has had in the past since escaping from CBN's ownership they've been contractually forced to air 700 Club related programming. 

• Love 3
On 11/9/2019 at 7:35 PM, WendyCR72 said:

No doubt those are remnants of ION's former PAX roots. From what I read long ago, the family that originally owned the channel still has minority stake in ION (with then (?)-NBC Universal holding majority. As I think NBCU is no more [could be wrong/wasn't it broken up?], maybe Universal alone has majority stake?) In any case, it would still explain the family values ads. Even if those ads seem to stand out amongst the grittier programming that ION runs versus the wholesomeness that was PAX.

I was thinking the same thing regarding a holdover from previous ownership. As far as NBCU it still exists - at least until Comcast merges it with some other company. You are probably confusing it with CBS Viacom which was broken up until they decided to merge again, or Fox which was broken up when most of it was sold to Disney. Or one of the other big media companies, which seem to be determined that everyone will be split off and then reacquired until every brand/studio/etc. is owned by a single company called something like AT&TDisneyComcast.

On 11/10/2019 at 7:24 AM, Jaded said:

It makes me think about how whatever channel name Freeform has had in the past since escaping from CBN's ownership they've been contractually forced to air 700 Club related programming. 

Yeah apparently that contract clause is a legal marvel defeating the attempts of many many high priced corporate lawyers to find a way out. A real devil's bargain you might say ironically...

Edited by wknt3
fixed typos and cleaned up phrasing
  • Love 1
On 11/10/2019 at 12:23 PM, wknt3 said:

t makes me think about how whatever channel name Freeform has had in the past since escaping from CBN's ownership they've been contractually forced to air 700 Club related programming.

Although I very much enjoy Freeform's disclaimers before it airs.  "It's not our programming. Watch it, don't watch it. We really don't care." (bit of a paraphrase)

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 12/5/2019 at 2:53 PM, icemiser69 said:

They need to pull Chicago PD reruns.  They are everywhere on multiple channels.

I don't understand why Chicago Med and Chicago Fire aren't in syndication.

They were offered but for a low fee (versus what the three syndicated Law & Order franchise shows received and even still less than what PD got).  I recall reading somewhere, when L&O: CI entered syndication, it was for over a million dollars for airing/packaging rights. When the two non-syndicated Chicago franchise shows were offered - per Deadline - I believe the offer was for around $300,000 for the package - as an example of the current market - and Wolf passed on it. I believe Lifetime made the low offer for Fire, anyway. (I forgot how much PD ultimately did sell into syndication for, but whatever it was, considering it is, as you say, all over TV, it likely made that price tag back and then some by now.)

If I recall, Deadline says syndication is a lot harder for dramas to be sold into now. The L&O shows are easily explained as they entered the syndication market at least a decade ago. But the market is softer now. I guess comedies and cheap reality shows are the easier sell these days.

(edited)

I watched a bunch of "The Listener" episodes over the last few weeks, and tonight they showed the series finale but they edited out something big! They had a shot of Dev leaving his super computer out and Tia looking at it, but they cut out where she used it and they also cut out 

Spoiler

Maya appearing at the door at the end of the episode, and the Toby and Maya reunion. 

I thought that there was something odd about Tia looking speculatively at Dev's laptop. I found the whole episode on YouTube. I have no idea why Ion would cut that out in syndication. 

Edited by Mystery

Bumping this thread to say ION seems to be available to watch on Amazon's Freevee TV app. They don't air any shows I really want to watch anymore. Thought this info might benefit others though.

• Thanks 1

I was scrolling through my cable channels today and saw ION was airing NCIS. I just started watching NCIS in the past 6 months - hard to believe since it's been on the air 20 seasons. I avoid crime dramas because I spent my career working in a crime lab, and I know how crime scenes and labs work in the real world, but I find the characters so enjoyable I'm willing to suspend disbelief. I have discovered that ION tends to show later seasons. I won't watch anything past Season 11. Today is Season 13. Guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow to watch on Sundance to get my NCIS fix.