Type keyword(s) to search

The Bachelor Canada - General Discussion

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Evenshorter said:

Anyone watch last night? He seems likable enough, usual crew of ladies.  They are already off to Costa Rica next week.

I've never watched the show but know him from his baseball career. Did they talk a lot about it?

After a successful career as a Major League Baseball pitcher, Canada’s new Bachelor, Chris Leroux, is ready to step up to the plate and settle down with a family of his own. The 33-year-old is at a crossroads, having recently retired from pro baseball, and is looking for someone to share his life with who is genuine, honest and loves to laugh.

Born in Montreal, Quebec, Chris moved to Mississauga, Ontario with his parents and brother when he was three-years-old. He grew up with strong family values and an ingrained passion for sports. Chris’ dad introduced him to baseball when he was young, and with his family’s encouragement and support, he set his sights on the big leagues. With a lot of hard work and perseverance, Chris fulfilled his dream, playing for the New York Yankees, Florida Marlins and Pittsburgh Pirates throughout his incredible career.

Chris’ success is matched by his kindness, loyalty, stunning good looks and sense of humour, and after travelling and living everywhere from Tokyo to Los Angeles for baseball, Chris (along with his dog Cash) is now ready to put down roots in Toronto.

A laidback guy with diverse interests that range from surfing to vintage cars to playing the piano, Chris is always ready to try something new.  He is looking for someone with an adventurous spirit to share those passions with as he enters this next chapter of his life. 

Canadians will fall in love with this endearing, humble, jokester as he looks for his soul mate on this season of The Bachelor Canada, coming this fall.

I watched the premiere.  What did everyone think?

Kaitlyn and Shawn were there to give words of advice to Chris.  Kaitlyn will be covering the show this season.  I believe she did the same for the Bachelorette last season.

I had never heard of Chris before he was announced as the Bachelor.  He is a tall one.  I did notice how he stood with his hand in his pocket while hugging most of the women when he was introduced to them.  It struck me as funny.  Maybe a nervous thing or he had something valuable in his pocket.  

I do not like Shanti.  When they showed her intro my DH said she scared him.  I presume she will be the villain this season.  I also did not like Miss Calgary.  Her red dress with the figure skating netting on the back bothered me too.  

I do like that they do an After Show.  It is always good to see what the public thinks and get some interviews with the ones that have been dumped.  

They are leaving Canada next week.  That is quick.  I wonder where else they will travel.  

• Love 1

Maybe unpopular opinion but I don't think he's good looking. His eyes are beady and he has a weak chin. He's tall so that's good.

I'm pleasantly surprised the sweet Asian girl got the first impression rose. I'm sad when the ethnic minorities get sent home the first night.

• Love 1

I don't think there is anything special about his looks.  In fact I think his beard looks too dark for his light hair.  

The first impression rose gal should have told him she has a child.  He made this big deal about giving her the rose because she opened up to him so much.  But she is keeping something from him that she has told the other women.  That could backfire on her.  He probably won't mind she has a child.  But the fact she didn't tell him right away might bother him.  

• Love 1

I thought it was a solid season premiere.  Chris' looks aren't really my type (I kept trying to imagine how he looked without the beard!), but I can see how others would find him attractive.  I like that he's over 30 and sounds serious about settling down.  

I get such a kick out of the after show!  I enjoy the interviews with the booted contestants, and hearing different points of view from the fans. 

• Love 1
22 hours ago, LakeGal said:

I had never heard of Chris before he was announced as the Bachelor.  He is a tall one.  I did notice how he stood with his hand in his pocket while hugging most of the women when he was introduced to them.  It struck me as funny.  Maybe a nervous thing or he had something valuable in his pocket.  

Know of him from his baseball days. The hand thing is probably a habit developed during his playing career. Your pitching hand is an asset that needs to be protected. And pitchers in the major leagues are almost never less than 6 feet tall and can be as tall as 6"6'. It's an asset when you're pitching (has to do with downward plane).

21 hours ago, LakeGal said:

I don't think there is anything special about his looks.  In fact I think his beard looks too dark for his light hair.  

The beard is a big mistake.

Pittsburgh+Pirates+Photo+Day+RRZgeNq_eKw

Edited by marina to
  • Love 5

marina to, I had to give your post a "like" for that photo alone. I'd wondered what Chris looked like without his beard, and now I don't have to Google. ;)

Edited by C76
  • Love 1

Why didn't I know there was an after show? Hope I can find it on demand.

I guess if it states right in the show description that he's looking to settle down in Toronto (and shows him house hunting in the intro) then no chance he's moving elsewhere for any of these ladies.

Shanti is so annoying with her too white veneers and her attitude that she can just sit on the couch and he'll come straight to her.

He looks way better without the beard.

• Love 1

Sometimes I look at Chris and I think he's really nice looking. 5 minutes later, not so much. His teeth bother me for some reason. Glad he sent Shanti home, but who's going to bring the drama now?  Agree about the after show - very enjoyable. I'd love one after every reality show!

• Love 1

So impressed that Chris saw through Shanti's bs so quickly and got rid of her. Sorry Shanti, but if you always have issues with other women then maybe it's not because they are all jealous of you - maybe YOU are the problem! Not that she'll ever see that.

• Love 3

I looked up his major league career.  Not so impressive, although I do give full marks for a) going to university even though he'd been drafted and b) making the majors at all.  

Glad he saw through Shanti.  Now to dump Miss Calgary and the slightly desperate woman form N&L

• Love 1

Miss Calgary sure wants to win.  I don't believe it is Chris she wants.  She wants to be the winner. She wants a sash and tiara so she can parade around in front of everyone. I would have burst out laughing if I had been there when she walked in the room with the rose behind her ear.  

• Love 2

I loved that they thought Miss Calgary was trying to fatten them up. I thought she was just trying to be fake super friendly so they wouldn't notice or comment or tell Chris that she was there only to win.

Really enjoying Kaitlyn on the After Show, she has just the right amount of snark for me. Could have done without seeing Robbie's Ken-doll hair again though.

• Love 2

While I like Chris's personality, I don't find him all that attractive. Mind you I don't like blonds. but also find his eyes are too close together and I find that distracting. I know that isn't something that he can change so my comment is a bit shallow, but I just don't find it believable that every single woman there thinks he is gorgeous. Mind you I guess they have to play the game regardless. 

I haven't watched  a lot of the Bachelor/Bachelor seasons (either Canadian or American) but I don't recall so much talk previously about the women cooking for themselves. Do they always? Do the men cook for themselves? I think I just assumed that someone was hired to cook. Doesn't seem like much of a holiday to me (though I know they are there to find a mate) and the last thing I would be doing is cooking for a bunch of women. Heck, I don't even cook for my husband - I hate cooking and he finds it relaxing so he does the cooking. (Sorry Shanti, some men are evolved enough not to expect their wife/partner to cook just because she has a vagina). 

I was impressed with Chris last week when he saw through Shanti and sent her home. I always wondered if the producers kept the crazy ones around for the entertainment value, and was pleasantly surprised to see that wasn't the case here. But I guess there wasn't room for Shanti and Brittany, and B is much more subtle where dealing directly with Chris is concerned. So far she has him snowed. 

Chris is either a good actor or sincerely has a crush on most of these women.  Weird?

I don't find him attractive, but I ADORED when he heard one of the women was 23 and was so turned off from it.  LOL.  That was shocking.

I fell in love with Lisa the Mermaid tonight.

On 10/30/2017 at 8:54 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Chris is either a good actor or sincerely has a crush on most of these women.  Weird?

I don't find that weird at all. It's extremely common to like multiple people at the same time. We do so much disservice by insisting that it can only be real if it's to the exclusion of everyone else. We don't like just one child, or one parent, or one friend at a time. So why is it so hard to believe you can be attracted to multiple people?

There was some ugly cleavage on display around the pool.  Some of the women could use better fitting bikini tops.  

I really do not like Kait.  

Both a mermaid and a dolphin on the couch together.  

I really wonder about some of the job descriptions for these women. Brittany is a pageant contestant and a humanitarian? First part is a given, but the last? Unlikely. Also what is a luxury nomad traveler? And how does one finance such a 'job'? Another (can't remember which) is a youth care practitioner. Is that a nurse practitioner who works with kids, or something else completely?

I am surprised that Chris thought his date with Brittany was the most romantic of his life. The only thing out of the ordinary was the helicopter ride (which Brittany was too shallow to appreciate and just wanted to make out). The rest was pretty much run of the mill. Even the band at the end was hardly unusual, especially in a tropical vacation place. He really had a pretty low bar for romance. But then, he did pick Brittany. 

I am surprised that Katie is dying to tell him that she is falling in love. I would expect an A type to be a bit more cautious, especially given that most likely several other girls feel the same way. Looks like it might scare him away. At the moment Brittany (ugh), Mikela, Lindsay and Katie seem like the front runners. I couldn't feel too sorry for Mikela when she was upset that Brittany spent time with Chris the night of the rose ceremony even though she had a rose. Mikela did the same thing a week or two ago. I though it was sweet of Chris to give Meghan a rose. That girl really needed a boost to her self esteem. Though I don't think she has a chance of being even in the final 4, I think it was sweet of Chris realize the rose would mean a lot to her. 

• Love 1

How is it possible I find myself on Team Brittany after this week's episode? She wrote a 2 line note, the other women are so ridiculous with their over reactions and being offended and on and on about breaking the rules. Guess what ladies? If Chris and/or the producers had a problem with the rules being broken then Brittany wouldn't have received another rose this week!

Still enjoying Kaitlyn's commentary on the After Show, and loved her perspective on the note writing and rule breaking. Dolphin girl and Squirrel girl were good too.

• Love 1

Yeah, the note brouhaha was stupid.  It was a note.  It isn't like she was waiting naked in his bed or something.

I remember Sean's season on the US version. Apparently Catherine regularly gave him notes and he treasured them.  And at the after show, Caitlyn said a bunch of the guys slipped her notes.

Still hate Brittany, though.  She's out to win, not for love.  Although what's his name was wrong last week. Sometimes villains do finish first.  Remember Ben and Courtney.

On 11/13/2017 at 4:37 AM, LakeGal said:

Yes Courtney won.  Also Vienna was the villain on Jake P's season and she won.  Although I don't exactly think ending up with Ben or Jake as winning.  

And neither are together anymore anyway.

The Newfie girl is really quite pathetic.

• Love 1

Brittany is gone!  Another villain bites the dust.  She realized she had been exposed to Chris.  The minute he didn't beg her to stay she left.  She did not want to be dumped by not getting a rose at the ceremony.  Now she can say it was her decision to leave.

Meghan was never going to win.  It was just as well Chris let her go.  The longer she stayed the more hurt she would have been.  

Chris appears to be attracted to quite a few of the women left.  It will be interesting who he ends up with.

Interesting group on the After Show.  Both Kaitlyn and Vanessa were at Carly & Evan's wedding.  So they all knew each other.  Evan is looking better.  Carly must be doing a makeover on him.    

We get 3 hometown dates.  The final 3 was who I expected it to be when I looked at the final 6.  Chris never seemed to have more than a friendship with Jessie and Stacy.  I always thought Kait was a mean girl.  I wasn't sure if Chris knew it.  But he obviously realized sexual connection was not enough with her.  

Why did we have to have Drew back?  Yuck.  He looked uncomfortable the entire time he sat on the couch.  He must finally realize that the public doesn't love him.  I think he was trying to redeem himself. 

I am so glad that Kait is gone. WTH is a luxury travel nomad? I knew nothing more about her when she left than when she arrived. And I doubt that Chris did either. I do remember her telling Chris that she wanted to be stimulated at all times. Honey, that isn't going to happen with anyone, and certainly not laid back Chris. In her bio she says she has travelled the word for the last 5 years - so from 22 - 27. What exactly does she plan to do to make a living? Or is she independently wealthy? Don't know. Don't care.

Same with Brittany. She calls herself a humanitarian, but her bio lists absolutely nothing to back that up. What exactly does she do? Don't know or care. 

I like the final three. It was obvious that Jessie and Stacy would not make the cut. Catie has been my pick from the first night. The hometowns look interesting. It looks like Jessie's family who question Chris's age, and Mikaela's dad who is so rude to Chris at the end of the clip they showed. I think Catie and Mikaela will be in the final two and Catie will get the rose/ring in the end. 

I was wondering about Drew's comment on the aftershow? He said that he and Catie are in the same business. I thought he was in real estate? Unless she is a real estate lawyer? 

Edited by UsernameFatigue

For anyone who is interested, Reality Steve posted a finale spoiler for this on Twitter. He claims that

Spoiler

final 2 are Lindsay and Mikaela with Mikaela getting the final rose but no proposal, and the 2 of them breaking up a week later.

I agree that the final 3 were the expected from that group of 6. Jessie and Chris' date was awkward - she just didn't seem that into him. Looking forward to hometowns when Lindsay's family agrees with Chris that he is too old for her!

Could have done without Drew on the aftershow. He sure wanted us to know that he was in love with his girlfriend!

On the spoiler...

Spoiler

Kinda sucky if true. I think Mikaela is the best match for him but Chris seems like he doesn't know how to love somebody or be in relationship anyway. She's better off.

This last episode was kind of a waste of time. Kait, Jessie, and Stacy had no chance.

Catie's reaction at the rose ceremony was priceless.  I have never seen anyone at any rose ceremony react like that.  Her mouth dropped open and stayed there.  She really had convinced herself that "Chris" was her fate.  

I really wanted to see Lindsay's reaction to watching this episode.  Chris was declaring to the camera that he was in love with Lindsay and wanted to marry her.  He got along great with Grandpa D.  Then everything went downhill from there.  Her family could not have been less welcoming to Chris.  They really acted like Lindsay was the baby and they had to take care of her.  They kept telling Chris that Lindsay would not leave BC.  Do they really know this?  Isn't it her opinion.  I even wondered if her sisters were a bit jealous.  Lindsay has to be upset watching this episode.  I would be if my family had acted that way to someone I brought home.  

I think Mikaela is more into Chris than he is to her.  There is just something about his body language with Mikaela compared to his reactions with Lindsay.  

I loved the families asking him what he now did for a living and him basically having no answer.  Yeah, just the kind of guy you want with your daughter/sister.  It's not like he had the kind of baseball career that made him independently wealthy.

Edited by DEL901

Well, that was interesting. I really thought Catie was the one before this episode. I could see how Chris would be taken aback by the whole Soulmate Chris thing - it is like Catie felt from day one he was the one, based on that. And the poor girl really couldn't calm down. But I loved her family. The odd thing to me was at the very end of the hometown date when they were hugging. I am sure what Chris whispered to Catie was "I love you" and she said back "I love you too Chris". I played it back a few times and I thought for sure that is what he said. 

Lindsay's family. Yikes! I don't care if they are being protective, they were rude. Her father joking about hunting down a mule and beating it? What a creep - who jokes about beating animals?  In the previews when they showed the sisters I thought the blonde sister was actually her mother. Talk about being ridden hard and put away wet. When the sisters said that Lindsay would not move  one said something about been there, done that. Which made me think she maybe moved for the guy in a previous relationship. But Chris and Lindsay do have a lot going against them, regardless. 

I thought it was interesting that Mikeala referred to her dad's wife (the one who did not show up) as her dad's wife, rather than her step mother. I can't see him proposing to Mikeala, and if he does how will she feel finding out that Chris not only said on camera in a TH that he was in love with Lindsay but wanted to ask for her father's permission to propose? Mikeala really did seem focused on getting engaged. 

I did like that two families asked him what he planned to do with the rest of his life. Or even in the near future - career wise.  And not too comforting I am sure (it wouldn't be for me) that he seemed to have no clue. 

Sadly I see Chris ending up alone. I think there are too many things against a relationship with Lindsay, including age, distance, and family. They remind me of Jasmine and the guy that she picked (can't remember his name). She was on the west coast, he in Ontario, and he had an overbearing mother who was not about to relinquish her baby boy to Jasmine. Not to mention she put down Jasmine's job. I see Chris and Lindsay ending the same way if he picks her. 

20 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

I loved the families asking him what he now did for a living and him basically having no answer.  Yeah, just the kind of guy you want with your daughter/sister.  It's not like he had the kind of career that made him independently wealthy.

Ha, I see we had the same observation. Yes, much of Chris's career was not in the big leagues, so I can't see that he would have enough money stashed away to not have to worry about how he is going to make a living. Very odd that he seems not to have given it much thought. That would make me very nervous. Maybe there was more said that was cut out, but it does seem that Chris is living in the past, and seems unwilling to move on? Maybe going on this show was his attempt to start to do that, but would you not want to have something more to offer your possible significant other than "I played ball for 13 years"? 

• Love 1

Hmmm, so no entries as yet about last night's show. I really like Chris's parents, especially his mom. I did notice how much his mom and Mikaela look alike, even without their hair pulled back in buns. Different hair colour, but both have very square shaped faces and similar eyes. 

I thought the sit downs with Chris's mom really showed the differences in Lindsay and Mikaela. Lindsay's was all about how Chris made her feel. Mikaela's included why she thought she was good for Chris because she could pull him out of his shell and help him communicate. What bothers me most about Mikeala is that she always talks as if it is a given that Chris will propose to someone, even though he doesn't have to. It is annoying. And I don't like that Lindsay has made the decision that she would not move, rather than it be a decision that they both make together. It is rather an important one. Personally though I live in B.C. (and did move from Ontario 37 years ago!) I could not live in Vancouver again. Sixteen years of what felt like non stop rain was enough for me. Though when it is not raining I think it is a stunningly beautiful city. 

I am mostly surprised that Chris was chosen as the Bachelor when he has such a history of not being able to commit, or even open up. I really hope that he does not propose to Lindsay or Mikaela but instead decides to continue a relationship with his top pick and see where it leads. For someone who has problems committing to propose to someone he has only known for a couple of months seems like a recipe for disaster. I was surprised that his mom did not suggest that, but even if she did I would imagine it would be edited out. 

I feel Chris was planning to pick Lindsay.  Then the hometown visit happened.  It knocked him off his plan.  He had been uncertain enough about the age difference with Lindsay.  Now his family is also mentioning the age difference and the geography problem.  I don't think Chris had a back up plan if it did not work with Lindsay.  He doesn't feel comfortable picking Lindsay anymore.  Mikaela is all obsessed with getting the ring.  I think Chris is scared and confused.  If it was possible for Chris to just stop the process and leave now.  I think he would take it.

I liked Chris' family.  They obviously love their son and want what is best for him.

I enjoy the After Show.  I will miss it.  They all obviously feel Chris wants Lindsay but it isn't going to work.  The chemistry is not there with Chris & Mikaela.  Even Mikaela realizes it.

The Women Tell All is going to be all about Shanti and Brittany. 

• Love 1

I just watched the finale.  OK I was spoiled about part of it.  But I loved that Lindsay was the one that turned Chris down.  I don't know if I have ever seen a Bachelor show before where the woman walked up and turned the Bachelor down.  Lindsay got to say Chris was not for her before he could say if she got the rose/ring.  I jumped up and applauded.  I loved it.

Mikaela did not see the show and know what we knew.  But I think she got a clue when Chris actually called her Lindsay while talking about his mom's reaction to the home town visits.  That was a huge No No.  Then Mikaela admitted to watching the show and seeing Chris interacting with Lindsay and saying he loved her.

Lindsay and Mikaela both deserve better than Chris.  I do not think he is ready to settle down with anyone.  I never did think he was anything special.

• Love 2