Type keyword(s) to search

Season 2 Discussion

ShaNaeNae
  • Start Topic

I think she's a nice enough person, but she doesn't have that sump sumpm that makes a guy ignore women In his peer group to go for the fine aged stuff. He could be on the level but for how long? Look at guys like Patrick Dempsey and Randy Travis.

I am just going to go ahead and add Rob Lowe, Hugh Jackman and Tony Goldwyn (President on Scandal) to that list of younger men with older and arguably average looking wives.  Maybe there is hope for Danielle after all. 

• Love 3
What is it a Danielle or a Jason think s/he is offering? Wealth? Property? Looks? Status? Prospects? Sense of humor? Evolved tastes in books, wine, food? Sports prowess? Box seats to something, anything? Yachts, cars, hot air balloons? What? Just no damn common sense.

Sadly, I think Danielle believes that her love for Mo will be strong enough to overcome all obsticles.... I'm waiting for them to pan through her DVD collection so I can confirm that she has a full collection of Disney Princess movies.

• Love 8

What is it a Danielle or a Jason think s/he is offering? Wealth? Property? Looks? Status? Prospects? Sense of humor? Evolved tastes in books, wine, food? Sports prowess? Box seats to something, anything? Yachts, cars, hot air balloons? What? Just no damn common sense.

Danielle and Jason are both American citizens.  The spouse of an American citizen is eligible to receive a "Green Card", which can lead to citizenship.  And, it's been said that an American citizen is a citizen of the world.

Edited by Adeejay
  • Love 2

Sadly, I think Danielle believes that her love for Mo will be strong enough to overcome all obsticles.... I'm waiting for them to pan through her DVD collection so I can confirm that she has a full collection of Disney Princess movies.

I'm not going to be surprised if there is a VHS or Betamax situation.

• Love 9

I doubt they are FLDS. They're not very common for PA. I am pretty sure Danny and his family (maybe Amy too) are evangelican Christians of some type. Not quite Duggar-level...but maybe close. Or at least Danny's portraying it that way.

Danielle may be average looking but her clinging neediness takes away from any physical attactiveness she may have.   A guy will go with a less better looking woman if she offers something else like brains, creativity, emotional stability, etc.   What does Danielle actually offer?   The green card and that is it.   I don't think that lovely card that is actually salmon colored can overcome all Danielle's drawbacks for long.

• Love 3

Danielle may be average looking but her clinging neediness takes away from any physical attactiveness she may have.   A guy will go with a less better looking woman if she offers something else like brains, creativity, emotional stability, etc.   What does Danielle actually offer?   The green card and that is it.   I don't think that lovely card that is actually salmon colored can overcome all Danielle's drawbacks for long.

But her desperation makes her easily swayed by Mohammed.  And I think that is what makes her so special.  If he plays her cards right he can manage to have sex with her only once and get the hell out of dodge.  He can probably convince her that its best for him to keep a separate household because "in his religion" he shouldn't be in the house with teenage girls he isn't related to.  Even if he needs to live in the same household with her for a while, he can probably convince her to keep letting him sleep on the couch. He can likely convince her that he should move out so he can make some money and send back to her.  The world of things that he can convince her of is only limited by his imagination.

• Love 4

I doubt they are FLDS. They're not very common for PA. I am pretty sure Danny and his family (maybe Amy too) are evangelican Christians of some type. Not quite Duggar-level...but maybe close. Or at least Danny's portraying it that way.

I said LDS, not FLDS.  I thought they stated this fact in the first episode, but I guess I made it up.

Regarding what kind of wedding Mohammed is expecting--if he wants a traditional Muslim ceremony then Danielle's probably going to be disappointed. It's just a contract signing. That's it--it's not even done in a mosque. Then later on (not even usually on the same day) there's a big party. Well, 2 big parties because the men and women party separately. Everyone goes to the parties, but pretty much no one goes to the contract signing. It's definitely different than what Christian Danielle is envisioning. I only know because I had the privilege of being invited to several such wedding festivities when I lived in the Gulf. I highly doubt that's going to stop Danielle from donning a white wedding dress that she has to go into debt to buy, though. That is, if these two even get married.

As for Amy and Danny. Ugh. For a guy who seems to be fairly well-intentioned but dopey, I'm baffled by my level of rage against Danny. Not sure why, other than the fact that I think he's treating Amy horribly and she's too nice to stand up for herself. But contrast that with my feelings towards Mo, who I think is actively using Danielle. My level of hatred towards Mo is nonexistent compared to how I feel about Danny. Kind of weird, but that's how I feel.

• Love 3

Danny said that he and his family, and I think Amy too(?) are Mormons

I don't remember that and in form they talk like evangelicals from choosing a venue to meeting at a Bible College in Australia. In the end seeing where they met it is almost impossible that one would be Mormon and the other Protestant.

edit to add: according to starcasm.com it was a Hillsong International Leadership College, the big Australian megachurch and CCM musical ministry

Edited by Raja

Again I ask, is there some reason why Yamir can't get laid in his native country, where he's apparently all that and a bag of chips?  I am at a loss to understand his sexual fixation (as that's clearly what's driving this train wreck) for the blonde American, unless it's simply that she's a blonde American.  Madness!  And I notice Chelsea loses her annoying vocal fry when she speaks Spanish.  Yet another reason why they should've stayed there and let Yamir's family -- with help from his flourishing singing career -- support her lazy behind.  But I suppose that would've disqualified them from appearing on this show on which Chelsea can show the world how much she is adored...

• Love 2

I don't remember that and in form they talk like evangelicals from choosing a venue to meeting at a Bible College in Australia. In the end seeing where they met it is almost impossible that one would be Mormon and the other Protestant.

edit to add: according to starcasm.com it was a Hillsong International Leadership College, the big Australian megachurch and CCM musical ministry

Yup. Hillsong International Bible College is affiliated with a Pentecostal Christian church. I don't think Danny or Amy would have been chosen to go there if either were a practicing Mormon. I also don't recall them saying in either episode that they are Mormons, I don't think there was a specific religion ever specified.

• Love 1

Except for the man-boobs and soft tummy, I would put Mo in the upper 1/3 of foreign hotness.  His accent is kind of hot; reminds me a little of Omar Shariff.  And he's by far the most intelligent and gracious -- and least annoying -- member of this season's circus.

• Love 1

Except for the man-boobs and soft tummy, I would put Mo in the upper 1/3 of foreign hotness.  His accent is kind of hot; reminds me a little of Omar Shariff.  And he's by far the most intelligent and gracious -- and least annoying -- member of this season's circus.

I haven't thought about percentages, but he isn't a bad looking man in the face, and he seems like a nice enough guy so yea, I don't have much against him.  I realize he is using Danielle for a green card, but you know what, he is putting in the work with her crazy ass so I say give him the damn green card.

• Love 7

Except that if he does marry Danielle, he is going have to turn suddenly cruel on her.  That's how the bezness goes.  The "nice and polite" act is going to drop.

• Love 3

Except that if he does marry Danielle, he is going have to turn suddenly cruel on her.  That's how the bezness goes.  The "nice and polite" act is going to drop.

really?  don't they need to be married for two years for him to get a green card?

• Love 1

I think we need to keep discussions of the ins and outs of the K-1 process, green cards, etc. to the Small Talk thread, where there are no spoilers but personal experiences with the process from people who know how it works. Thanks.

My bad!  

Watched the rerun; have no life.

Cassia at the salad bar, where Jason had instructed her to pile the plate high, as that's what we do in America: Blue Cheese dressing, imitation bacon bits?  "I want to grow."  LOL!  Well, you're in the right place for that. 

As for Jason's discolored nailbeds, I noticed his dad, in one of his talking heads, wearing latex gloves and seemingly staining something (wood furniture; a leather saddle?) and the gloves were also stained brown at the fingertips.  Perhaps Jason's just too lazy or slovenly or overconfident in his appearance to wear gloves.

And Justin is just plain nasty!  He looks super old and dissipated, and what is up with his eyes?  He constantly looks like he's on the verge of tears or his pupils are dilated or something.  "Old blue eyes" colored contacts?

As for Amy and Danny. Ugh. For a guy who seems to be fairly well-intentioned but dopey, I'm baffled by my level of rage against Danny. Not sure why, other than the fact that I think he's treating Amy horribly and she's too nice to stand up for herself. But contrast that with my feelings towards Mo, who I think is actively using Danielle. My level of hatred towards Mo is nonexistent compared to how I feel about Danny. Kind of weird, but that's how I feel.

I totally get you on this. I know Mohamed is a con artist and I should hate him for that. But I don't, and that's because I believe Danielle is a willing victim, and/or she's conning him in her own way. Basically, those two deserve each other.

I feel much more anger toward Danny, because he is the most thoughtless, emotionally dense, empathy-lacking "in love" person I've ever seen. Aside from that one required counseling session, I have yet to see him inconvenience himself in any way to support his fiance's difficult transition to the US. And it's not because he's an arrogant ass. It's because it just doesn't occur to him to consider her.  His life hasn't changed at all.  And yet he feels incredibly burdened. I can't imagine why. He's not the one feeding, housing, and entertaining Amy. All of his emotional energy (what little there is of it) is devoted to himself, and all that's left for her a  mild sort of affection. I suspect every time he leaves her, he pats himself on the back for fitting some quality time into his schedule.  He's like that divorced parent who completely forgets about his children between mandated visits.

Aside from that, he's just annoying clueless. It seems like every thought in his head was put there by someone else.  Since nobody told him to prepare ahead of time for Amy's coming, to arrange some time off to spend with her, to consult her about her living situation and the wedding venue, he didn't do any of those things.  It never occurred to him to do those things. And it STILL wouldn't occur to him. That's where my anger comes from. His fiance is standing in front of him, obviously emotional, homesick, overwhelmed, in need of his time and the comfort of his presence, and he doesn't pick up on it at all.  It's like when he looks at her, he doesn't really see her. And she's too naive to understand that she deserves better than than this.

Unfortunately, I'm sure as sure that these two will marry. And they will have a life together where everything suits Danny, and he's perfectly happy, thinking all he needs to do is provide financial support, religious leadership and the occasional pat on the head to the wife and kids. At some point, it will dawn on Amy that her relationship with her husband isn't what it should be or what she wanted, but she will use the distraction of children, home, and church to avoid thinking about how shallow her marriage is.

Edited by sleepyjean
  • Love 13

Watched the rerun; have no life.

Cassia at the salad bar, where Jason had instructed her to pile the plate high, as that's what we do in America: Blue Cheese dressing, imitation bacon bits?  "I want to grow."  LOL!  Well, you're in the right place for that. 

Whats the over/under on him telling her to wrap up a few muffins to take home for his Dad, or so they could have them for breakfast tomorrow?

• Love 3

Personally, I'm sad about her leaving her mother, to whom she was "joined at the hip"; same with Yamir's mother and grandmother.  Will they even be alive when these poor deluded relatives lose the "new" and wake up to smell the coffee?  They seem to have very close, loving families and forsake them for dysfunctional ones in the US.  That's the most tragic part of all of these long-distance relationships, IMO.

Edited by joanofarch4
  • Love 7

Finally got to see the first 15 minutes last night so I feel qualified to comment, lol.

Danielle:  Ugh.  Just ugh.  Still so much like my husband's late Uncle's widow.  So in love with the idea of being in love that she doesn't see how everything is crashing around her.  Her scammer had her buy her own engagement ring and "send him the bill".  Which you know he never paid.  And she didn't see anything wrong with it.  As for the dresses, unfortunately, there aren't a lot of options for the plus sized bride.  And everything nowadays is sleeveless or strapless - even in bigger sizes.  Even 20 years ago, I had someone make my dress because the bigger sized dresses were all polyester and looked like mumus, and now there is a complete 180.  A friend was recently in a wedding.  She's a bigger gal with big arms.  So was the bride.  All of the bridesmaids had strapless gowns, but at least they got a wrap.  The bride just looked terrible in her strapless gown.  She was also extremely top heavy which made it worse.  There was a photo of her that looked like someone was atop a ladder.  She had her arms overhead, holding a bouquet, about to throw it.  I was embarrassed for her.  I felt that exact same embarrassment for Danielle.

Danny:  Not willing to call him "fabulous" just yet.  I've had some bad experiences in the past with assumption.  My 'dar isn't always correct.  That being said, I think he was coddled and babied a LOT, as he has no clue what the real world is like (works in the family business, etc) and must be from an extremely tight-knit family, as they are always present.  I was irritated with him when he blew off Amy's concerns, and gave props to the minister and his wife for telling him so.  I think he's generally impulsive, and was impulsive in this whole endeavor, and is overwhelmed.  If he would stop being bull headed for two minutes and actually sit down with Amy and talk, he'd start to feel less overwhelmed.  She doesn't seem to be the type to be the subservient quasi-fundie wife, so hopefully she bolts if the situation doesn't imrpove.

Cassia:  Not totally fond of her but she wasn't as horrible as I thought she'd be.  I wonder how much of their story is manufactured drama?

Brett:  Ditto.  He and Daya's story is all over the place.  Things seem to contradict each other as it goes along, and others make no sense whatsoever (and you know what Judge Judy always says about things that don't make sense).  I'm sensing a lot of manufactured drama.

Chelsea:  Big fish in a small pond syndrome, like so many kids I went to school with.  You may be a big deal in your small town, but the world can be cruel.  It appears she did volunteer work after college for a few years, and just has no clue how things work.  She thinks she can being her man back to her small town and everything will fall into place, like things have in the past.  Wrong.  I think deep down, she figures his career will take off over here, and she'll be his manager or something.  The same thing applies to Myla Vox (big fish in a small pond).  Not sure what the future holds for these two.  Her vocal fry is annoying for sure, but her pseudo Valley-Girl affect is more annoying.

Was disappointed that Evelin wasn't on this episode.

• Love 4

According to the State Dept, the income a sponsor must show is  at least 125% of the poverty guidelines for the household size. so a household of 2 would have to have roughly $19,000 in income. I think most of the couples can meet this. If Chelsea's parents sponsored him, they are a family of 4, so that would be about $29,000. The one who puzzles is Danielle. Doesn't she have 3 children at home? That would mean that she needs income sufficient to support a family of 5. The guidelines say roughly $35,000. I doubt she makes that much and if her ex is paying CS, I have no idea if she can use that as income. Didn't someone mention that she was begging for a sponsor on Facebook? No wonder.

I was actually surprised at how low the income requirements are. What family of 2 can live on less than 20K? I realize that people manage it, but I would think in terms of allowing people to have a visa, they would require more. My guess it that it puts the household income out of range to qualify for welfare, and that is the motivation behind setting of the guideline amount.  

I would say Danielle probably qualifies for all the freebies available to single mothers of dependent children (although he children are getting up there; time to start cranking out the grandbabies), such as we see on the polygamous family shows; that would include Section 8 housing, food stamps, Medicaid, etc.   Very many "caregivers" demand to be paid in cash under the table so as not to jeopardize government subsidies; at any rate, I believe recipients are allowed to earn up to a certain amount.  And, for all we know, her brother has a job and is floating this thing; he seems more than usually supportive of and involved with his sister and her children.

And I have no trouble envisioning Princess Chelsea's parents doing anything she asks of them...  And now Yamir...  Some women are lucky that way!  I noticed she alluded to the big, scary city (or words to that effect) versus her "sweet" little town.  You know; the one where the only source of employment is the meat-packing plant.  Rooting for Yamir to realize that other women WILL sleep with him; maybe even another blonde American VISTA volunteer.

Edited by joanofarch4
  • Love 2

"zesty' friends...HA! I also noticed that they trotted out a "tan" guy at last week's dinner to ask the particularly inappropriate question about whether Amy is worried about the wedding night."

About this: I believe the captioning didn't get her response correct.  Instead of whatever they showed her saying ("that's what I think" or something like that), what she actually says is, "Is it gonna hurt; that sort of thinking?"

Edited by joanofarch4

I took offense to Chelsea's father saying, "He shouldn't think he can go right from his country's music scene to this one; that ain't gonna happen!"  I believe it was Chelsea who was spinning THAT particular fantasy, perhaps reassuring Yamir that he could.  After all, she told Gabe, "It was never my intention to take him away from his band; that's not my intention at all."  D'oh!  And urging him to get onstage...

I also noticed that she took some liberties with the translating role, turning Yamir's "if it's going to work out" into "how to work it out"...

• Love 2

Re: Danny, and maybe it's just around here, but most macho straight guys seeking marriage don't have two obviously gay guys as best friends.  Kind of a red flag right there!  It's possible he's still in denial, but his "marionette" speaks volumes.  Not that there's anything wrong with that, but memo to Amy...

• Love 2

Whats the over/under on him telling her to wrap up a few muffins to take home for his Dad, or so they could have them for breakfast tomorrow?

I know, right?  He should be on Extreme Cheapskates.  Poor Cassia.  I hope he's just a stepping stone out of the swamp for her.

• Love 1

Danny:  Not willing to call him "fabulous" just yet.  I've had some bad experiences in the past with assumption.  My 'dar isn't always correct.  That being said, I think he was coddled and babied a LOT, as he has no clue what the real world is like (works in the family business, etc) and must be from an extremely tight-knit family, as they are always present.  I was irritated with him when he blew off Amy's concerns, and gave props to the minister and his wife for telling him so.  I think he's generally impulsive, and was impulsive in this whole endeavor, and is overwhelmed.  If he would stop being bull headed for two minutes and actually sit down with Amy and talk, he'd start to feel less overwhelmed.  She doesn't seem to be the type to be the subservient quasi-fundie wife, so hopefully she bolts if the situation doesn't imrpove.

I too have been burned by my gaydar.  I keep hoping for a gay best friend, and then get burned when I find out they are straight....boo!

But my gaydar pings strong

What is with Danny's family? They act like they're from Hicksville with the whole -- you're tan and speak African nonsense -- yet they live 30 min outside of Philadelphia, which is one of the top 5 or 10 metro areas in the U.S.; there are plenty of Africans, biracial people and all kinds of other diversity in Philadelphia. How are they so unexposed? And I cannot believe the amount of references made to sex with a perfect stranger. Are you worried about the wedding night? Who the hell says that?? And then when they went to go look at that farm/barn for the wedding, there were a few references made to -- you can consummate the marriage right here. I get that Danny is the youngest in a large, overly close, over bearing family, but the interest in their little bro's sex life is kind of creepy. If Amy doesn't put a stop to this, she will have people in the hotel suite saying "no no Danny, that's not how it's done, let me help you."

As for Mohammed -- the one thing I don't get, if he is SUCH a religious Muslim -- i.e. won't eat non-halal and won't engage in any pre marital sex -- why is he ok with marrying a Christian woman? I'm Muslim myself so I am not criticizing, but Muslims who are "non religious" enough for an interfaith marriage typically aren't sticklers for things like halal rules. Has she thought about this (of course not)? Does he expect her to convert? Religiously a Muslim man can marry a woman of any faith bc he can make conversion a requirement of marriage. Has she thought about whether he intends to do that and would she be ok with that -- not saying she is going to mass 7 days a week but a small town Christian who laughs at someone's religion forbidding pork, who also has a cross tattooed on her finger, does not strike me as the type who'd be ok converting to a "foreign" religion. Shouldn't she be wondering why such a (hot) religious man is with someone like her (not hot and not of the same faith) and take a hint that maybe something is asunder and a scam is underway?

So much was wrong here and with this episode I can't even...first of all, Norristown is a Damn train ride away from Philly, which is a diverse city with a university district full of international students who would love to connect. You don't need a license to at least get dropped off at a train station. I feel so bad for this girl, because her Damn hosts seemingly have not been influenced by the diversity of the nation's first capital. I get being religious, but there's no need to shelter yourself! Didn't God have a hand in all these man made creations?

Ugh, I wanted to vomit at the "speak African" thing. Really?! Africa's a continent you idiot. I've gotten that - "Do you speak Asian?" - yes, the entire region developed its own tongue after the continental drift. So Damn ignorant, but not surprising after the clearly awkward sex questions at dinner.

I am so embarrassed for the fiancées,except Mo, who's obviously in line with the 409ers, except in his own flavor. America is not like this everywhere.

• Love 2

Danielle' s arms need sleeves at all times.

Danny the Marionette is quite diminutive.

Jason is 38 going on 72. His Dad seems more youthful than Jason. When Cassia said she likes that Jason is quite patient, I wondered if that means sex hasn't been a part of their life yet? I wouldn't blame her, but she's a player.

And Jason couldn't be bothered to clean his room and the pool before hot girl came home! For godsake! I guess he thought that just his animal-magnetic personality and sex appeal would blind Cassia to the filth and pestilence. But at least he made up for it at that 5-star gourmet salad bar, where he wore his formal tee and shorts! ATTN American single ladies: look at what you are missing out on!

Too many ignorant buttinsky in-laws tonight. I had to laugh at Brett's mom dissing Daya and expressing concern for her special-snowflake son. She should be happy that any woman has a romantic interest in him at all.

And Jason's dad is way too overinvested in his son! It's as though he's in love with him and jealous of Cassias attention. When he wore the clown getup because he KNEW Cassia hates clowns...whoa! I'm sure she'll split in 90 days or less, so dad will be fine.

The nonsense in the bar with the working girls hitting on Mohamed was comical. A producer setup if ever I saw one.

I really hate seeing Mo and Danielle next to each other. She is so cloying and clingy, and he's always got an invisible bubble over his head that screams, "You disgust me!"

Lmao, Danielle in those dresses made me die a little inside. I saw they actually had to use a clamp to get the fit correctly, which meant the ones she tried on were actually too big. Ouch.

The unimpressive domiciles these people are coming home to makes me sad and depressed. I mean, really? What kind of person do the fiancées think they're getting if they're spending this kind of time online and whatnot?

Mo's scene didn't strike me as contrived until I read this forum, but now yea, wow. Although the woman was severely haggard, it just seemed ridiculous that she'd zero in on him. I was just waiting for some backhanded racist compliment to spew forth from her mouth, and was actually quite surprised no similar remarks were made by the footballers.

That whole Danielle thing just makes me so sick. I mean, wow. Her ignorant family made me facepalm so hard...I know people like that, who think anything foreign sounding or different is comical somehow. They've mostly never left their own towns, and I'm from New Jersey, so proof that idiocy isn't limited to random bumfuck regions.

Dying at the hilarity of it all, but your comments make it even better. Lol.

• Love 3

I got the impression that Brett's wife cheated on him because he said he picked the Philippines because "they're loyal". And yes, I agree, going from divorce to an international dating site reeks of someone looking for a wife who won't talk back and won't mind his crazy maniacal laugh. Or the two roommates.

Hated Baby Huey lips and his racist comment on Filipinos and their marriage values. Ugh. Sounded very Asian fetish if you ask me. Did you see the cheap motif in his room?? That was all Japanese stuff. Wrong asian. Lol.

Oh dear God, this was painful to watch. I'm amazed Mohammed even got to the point of being granted a K-1 visa. I say this because I have friends who met online through a big forum we're on (not a dating site). She was in Oregon, he in England. He went over to visit her, she came over to visit him. They fell in love. She came to live in England and they got married in the UK, and two years later they decided to live in the USA.

You wouldn't believe the hoops they had to jump through for him to get a visa to live in the USA - and this is after they'd been married and living in the UK for more than two years. I swore an Affidavit confirming that I'd attended their wedding, and had been to family parties at his parents' home where it was clear that they were happily married and she was loved by his family, that they'd visited me and stayed at my home many times. I had to go to the US Embassy in London with photos of all these occasions confirming all of this, so they could be satisfied it was a genuine marriage.I was interviewed and questioned in some depth about my friends' relationship. And they also had the interview where they're each questioned separately about each other's likes and dislikes, "what's his favourite food?", all that kind of thing.

So if that was needed for people who were already married, and who were so obviously in love, how did Mohammed and Daya manage to scam their K-1 visas?

I really thought Mohammed had skipped out at JFK and disappeared in NYC. And the instant I saw him I knew he was only in it for the green card. Likewise Daya. Clearly her sad sack of a boyfriend is batting way out of his league, and he obviously has issues with American women. But he has so little to offer a woman that it's no wonder he can't find a wife at home. The NotAlecBaldwin idiot seemed to have a genuine relationship with his girlfriend, but all that 'dishes in the sink' malarkey was so staged that it was pathetic. I don't care enough about the pop star couple to have any opinion on them yet. That may change.

And I'll sign off by dropping this in here. Sorry, couldn't resist ...

3RuRJsb.jpg

Bahaha. He looks like he's at the prom aND lost a bet. Lol.

So much was wrong here and with this episode I can't even...first of all, Norristown is a Damn train ride away from Philly, which is a diverse city with a university district full of international students who would love to connect. You don't need a license to at least get dropped off at a train station. I feel so bad for this girl, because her Damn hosts seemingly have not been influenced by the diversity of the nation's first capital. I get being religious, but there's no need to shelter yourself! Didn't God have a hand in all these man made creations?

Ugh, I wanted to vomit at the "speak African" thing. Really?! Africa's a continent you idiot. I've gotten that - "Do you speak Asian?" - yes, the entire region developed its own tongue after the continental drift. So Damn ignorant, but not surprising after the clearly awkward sex questions at dinner.

I am so embarrassed for the fiancées,except Mo, who's obviously in line with the 409ers, except in his own flavor. America is not like this everywhere.

I grew up in the Philadelphia suburbs and then went to school in Philadelphia. I will say there are tons of suburban families who never go into Philadelphia for shopping, entertainment, education or anything else -- to them it's the big bad city with high crime and they're happier staying home near their suburban malls. Danny's family strikes me as that type -- I mean you have to be pretty unexposed to ask someone to speak African. Though if Amy's option is to sit in her future sister/bro in law's house 10 hrs a day just so she can get 2 hrs with Danny and his entire family at night -- she really should tell Danny or his bro/sister in law that she needs a ride to the train station a few mornings a week. She's from Cape Town -- I highly doubt Philadelphia would overwhelm her. While she could spend some time just sight seeing and looking around, I think she'd love the "International House" -- on UPenn's campus but open to students and professionals in Philadelphia which caters specifically to young people who have moved to the U.S. from other countries. She'd be able to go to events there but I think she'd just enjoy hanging out and getting coffee with people who've moved from Africa or anywhere else in the world; it would start off some friendships for her that would honestly be more worldly than what Danny and his family can provide. I imagine that Danny's friends are all people he's known since kindergarten who probably are just as unexposed as his family.

• Love 3

On most documents for all manner of things that have distinct categories that ask whether the applicant is Latino, White, Black/African American or Asian.

They *used to* - now most forms (especially government forms) ask race and ethnicity separately. This is an important development to a White Latina like me.
  • Love 1

No, that is not the case. I've handled all manner documents recently for gov., private and public sector. Those questions are still there. That is not to say the ones you handled weren't as you say but I do work for a gov agency. But the term White Latino/Latina is not unfamiliar to me either.

I grew up in the Philadelphia suburbs and then went to school in Philadelphia. I will say there are tons of suburban families who never go into Philadelphia for shopping, entertainment, education or anything else -- to them it's the big bad city with high crime and they're happier staying home near their suburban malls. Danny's family strikes me as that type -- I mean you have to be pretty unexposed to ask someone to speak African. Though if Amy's option is to sit in her future sister/bro in law's house 10 hrs a day just so she can get 2 hrs with Danny and his entire family at night -- she really should tell Danny or his bro/sister in law that she needs a ride to the train station a few mornings a week. She's from Cape Town -- I highly doubt Philadelphia would overwhelm her. While she could spend some time just sight seeing and looking around, I think she'd love the "International House" -- on UPenn's campus but open to students and professionals in Philadelphia which caters specifically to young people who have moved to the U.S. from other countries. She'd be able to go to events there but I think she'd just enjoy hanging out and getting coffee with people who've moved from Africa or anywhere else in the world; it would start off some friendships for her that would honestly be more worldly than what Danny and his family can provide. I imagine that Danny's friends are all people he's known since kindergarten who probably are just as unexposed as his family.

I was specifically thinking of the Ihouse, how funny. I can't believe that that's how the city is viewed by some in the suburbs. Surely she'd have gleaned the isolation of her new fiance?

If this girl did a Google map search and saw how close the city was to Norristown, she probably was totally deflated when she realized fun was so close, yet so far. Sad :(

What's ironic is that they met while traveling to Australia, but can't seem to start getting cultured at home.

OT: I live in Philly :) small world.

• Love 2

No, that is not the case. I've handled all manner documents recently for gov., private and public sector. Those questions are still there. That is not to say the ones you handled weren't as you say but I do work for a gov agency. But the term White Latino/Latina is not unfamiliar to me either.

I know we're getting OT here, but I thought there was a non-white/Hispanic category or something?

• Love 2

OT: I live in Philly :) small world.

I used to live in Philly too, about 6 years ago. On the south side. I've also lived in Bridgeport (right between Norristown and King of Prussia), Reading, Pottstown, Gilbertsville.. All within an hour drive to the city.  I just don't get the mindset of the "big bad scary city". There's so much to do and see...museums, cafes, shopping, restaurants, street fairs, concerts. All sorts of stuff. Cutting yourself off from that because you're scared is pretty lame. Especially in your twenties. That's the time in your life where you're supposed to go out and experience things. So...Danny can fly around the world to Australia yet he's too pussy to go 25 miles into Philly? He wouldn't even have to drive. That's insane.

• Love 1

Not to defend Danny's brother, who entered, uninvited, the room of a young woman whom he'd never met and who was asleep at the time (what better way to let her know that it's his house and she doesn't belong there), but it sounded like he asked her to say something in Afrikaans, not "African." So maybe he's less ignorant than just thoughtless and rude, which seems to be a defining characteristic of that family.

Dear Cassia,

I apologize for calling you "psycho" in another thread for threatening to back out of meeting Jason at the airport.  Now I get what you were going through.  I too would have had second thoughts meeting this loser to board a plane and a bus all the way to the low rent retirement community that is Swampview FL.

I am sorry that you took a chance on this immature baby and traveled six thousand miles to end up in some drab, undecorated hoarded bedroom with a 38 yr old that makes no money and is married to his father.  You must have had an intuition that you'd only be some distant third wheel in this unholy situation.  It must be so disappointing to wake up everyday to a viscous cesspool infested with mosquito larva and slimy green algae.  A man that professes to love you does not take you to some iceberg lettuce and bacon bit salad bar with instructions to steal muffins for you to eat tomorrow.

I hope you make the best of this situation, marry him and form a threesome with his dad, divorce him the minute your immigration status is settled, and get out of Swampview with your tires screeching.

For heaven's sake use contraception and do not have a child with him.  He has got "deadbeat dad" written all over him.

Yours truly,

ToasterStrudel

Edited by Toaster Strudel
  • Love 15

My (now grown) ½ Puerto Rican,½ German kids always had a problem on which of those to check...because they aren't any of those races completely. They usually ended picking Hispanic or Latino, but always felt like it was ignoring their 'white' ancestry that they got from their mom (me.)

• Love 1