Type keyword(s) to search

Season 2 Discussion

ShaNaeNae
  • Start Topic

I don't remember how much Danielle's family said a semi cost, but my husband works in that world (not as a driver, but he deals with drivers and owner/operators) and the company I work for owns semis and well.  A new tractor that isn't super decked out (sleeper, maybe a fridge, but nothing exorbitant) will cost you about $125k.  That doesn't include the trailer.  Guys who practically live in their trucks can spend much more than that to get fancy sleepers, small kitchens, etc.

I think Danielle's brother(?) did say a semi could run about $100k so he wasn't too far off. 

• Love 1

Jason is going to deserve every heaping coal Cassia dumps on his head. He has had plenty of warning as to what kind of girl she is and what makes him think he is so special that it will work out with him when it didn't with his friend?

What makes him so special?

It's that rotting wood and peeling paint Swamp Lair with its emerald-green alligator swimming pool!

Edited by Toaster Strudel
  • Love 6

I am quite sure Mohammad is glad she is too old to have kids.   He does not want to have to pay child support to some kid by a woman he is just using for money.   Yeah he could just head back home and avoid payments, but then there goes the green card -- until he pays up all the arrears.   He is not coming back into the US again until he does.

To me, having a six year old serve as a chaperone is completely inappropriate (Looking at you, Duggar Family.) - just as inappropriate as having the kid share a bed with two unmarried adults (one of whom is a total stranger). If that's one of Brett's reasons for the arrangement, then he is more of a weirdo than I first thought.

Perhaps the adults would not need a chaperone if they didn't sleep in the same bed.

the chaperone is not there to physically step in the tradition is for the public perception of what is happening or specifically not happening because you are not alone. Older chaperones are easier to ditch but still the tradition persists

Other couples on the show reacted by proclaiming their faith and saying there will be no pre marital sex. Brett and Daya have his daughter to stand in as a culturally appropriate shield for her reputation

Edited by Raja
  • Love 1

the chaperone is not there to physically step in the tradition is for the public perception of what is happening or specifically not happening because you are not alone. Older chaperones are easier to ditch but still the tradition persists

Other couples on the show reacted by proclaiming their faith and saying there will be no pre marital sex. Brett and Daya have his daughter to stand in as a culturally appropriate shield for her reputation

Did either of them say that though?  I honestly don't remember.  Didn't they spend the first couple of nights in the house without Cassidy?  Was he sleeping on the couch?  Whatever method he used to protect Daya's honor on the first night would have been a more appropriate way than to subject his child to feeling uncomfortable sleeping between three people on one bed.  I think its the tiniest bit creepy for Brett and his mother to sleep in one bed, feels a little Oedipal.  Every other time another couple has proclaimed that they won't sleep together until marriage they have had a chaperone in a separate room, or they have stayed in a different house.  This does feel like cheapness and poor planning.

• Love 2

In one cultural mindset it is inappropriate. In the other half of the family the daughter services as the chaperone for the unmarried daddy and auntie

Yes, you are correct, of course. But in the case of Brett and Daya, she herself expressed dismay at the sleeping arrangement. In her Talking Head, she said she was surprised when they returned to Brett' s house with Cassidy, and he informed Daya of his plan. She also said that was the first she had heard of it, and that he hadn't mentioned it at all previously. She seemed unhappy to me.

They had been on a 20-hour roundtrip by car. So, not only did Brett have plenty of opportunity to tell Daya about the communal bed, but, even more important to me, he should have included Daya in the decision-making.

It's not as though Brett was trying to remain chaste, and, therefore, used the little girl and grams as chaperones/buffers. If I understood correctly, Brett and Daya shared the bed as soon as she arrived in America, in the day(s) leading up to the custody exchange.

It's just my perception at this point that something is "off" with both Brett and with Daya. I'm having a hard time believing either one is completely legit.

• Love 4

But Cassidy' s visit will last only 30 days. So if Brett is truly concerned with a culturally appropriate shield for Daya's rep (even though she doesn't seem to care about it) Brett will need to make other arrangements for the 60 days still outstanding.

Maybe his Mom will stay on to sleep with the couple?! But I kinda doubt it.

I tend to agree that Brett is cheap and a bad planner. Between him and Jason, the foreign brides are in for a shock when they realize how stingy these men can be with money.

• Love 3

Gee, could Brett be single because he just makes decisions without consulting his partner and does not communicate well?    Shocking.   

Dude just did not think this out well.  Thinking ahead is clearly not his strong point.   Well let's see, my fiancee is coming to America at the same time my daughter is scheduled to visit.   Should I tell them in advance about each other?   Should I make plans for their sleeping arrangements?   Nah, we'll just see what happens.   It will all work out.  Life is all good and mellow.   Plus if it were really a problem my roommoms would have told me what to do.

• Love 9

How come Brett doesn't have a room for his daughter? I found this really weird, hasn't she visit her father before? There are tons of families who have separate homes. But the children always have there own room or at least there own bed?! I think I'm more shock by that, is this the first time him seeing his daughter? I need more info on this...

Also Jason has seen some dark mojo in war... You can in his eye

Gee, could Brett be single because he just makes decisions without consulting his partner and does not communicate well?    Shocking.   

Dude just did not think this out well.  Thinking ahead is clearly not his strong point.   Well let's see, my fiancee is coming to America at the same time my daughter is scheduled to visit.   Should I tell them in advance about each other?   Should I make plans for their sleeping arrangements?   Nah, we'll just see what happens.   It will all work out.  Life is all good and mellow.   Plus if it were really a problem my roommoms would have told me what to do.

And, if I may be a cynic for a minute, it does seem like the sort of situation that Brett has set up with bad planning, and if Daya starts complaining Brett will hyena laugh in her face, and when she loses her temper at that, Brett will make her out to be the bad guy who doesn't understand that he is just trying to take care of his daughter.  What a mean bitch Daya is for not wanting to have his daughter around!  

He has already set himself up as the long suffering, nice guy, and Daya as the demanding mean bitch of a fiance.

Couldn't they take Mohammed to a kosher restaurant too? Or Mediterranean, something close that reminds him of home? And more easy on food cuisine for his diet.

having seen Danielle & company, I couldn't see them agreeing to anything other than American food.  Someplace where you can get everything wrapped in bacon.  No way were you getting that crew to a Mediterranean restaurant....even though that food is DELICIOUS.  I also wonder if that part of town even has those options.

ETA: Danielle also strikes me as one of those women that was in a country full of delicious and tasty food, and probably primarily ate cheez-its, swedish fish and doritos.

Edited by RealityGal
  • Love 4

When Brett was putting on his backpack and trotting out the door, did he say he was off to work and school, or did I mishear that? I wonder what kind of school he's in. And whether that means he'll be around even less than I thought.

Edited by sleepyjean

It's official, I'm officially rooting for Evelin and NotBaldwin to succeed if only to spite Sister-In-Law Darth Vader.  Now I know why he postponed notifying his family of his engagement, and wants to elope.  They are obnoxious dicks, all of them.  The facial contortions Darth Vader was making were rude beyond belief.  I don't understand why he's in contact with these passive aggressive, or straight up aggressive fools.  If Evelin and NotBaldwin have children, they'd be wise to never introduce them to this pack of hyenas.  Elope!!!

Boy Darth Jennifer is a bitch, and she acted like she was drunk off her ass.  What a nasty woman.  I don't know if I think Justin's a coward - he's been dealing with these people for years, maybe he's just beat down.

And Brett, good grief.  Let's start with the fact that his daugter clearly wanted nothing to do with him. Or Daya. That much was obvious. Equally obvious is that he must not spend much time parenting. Telling Cassidy he is marrying a stranger and he's sure she and Daya will be best friends is the kind of idiocy you'd expect from an adult who doesn't know much about children. Even a six year old knows that's bull. Poor Cassidy. It's a testament to Chanel that though Cassidy clearly did not want any part of this, she behaved quite well. I would not have blamed her for a full on kicking and screaming tantrum. I suspect (and hope) that Chanel did not know that Daya, a total stranger who knows nothing about kids, would be the primary caretaker for the month.

Daya was much more likeable.  She seemed to be initiating the kissing and "I love you"s.  It seemed a very human moment when Cassidy said she didn't want to be a flower girl - I think Daya's eyes teared up.  The whole thing surrounding Brett's child is off.  My mouth fell open when a tall attractive woman walked up with a child dive-bombing behind her back.  I actually thought to myself, this is totally fake. Cassidy did not react to Brett, and he didn't react to her.  Even the mom wasn't really trying to comfort Cassidy.

The bed situation was off the wall.  Can you imagine the outrage if a woman expected her new man to share a bed with her and her child?  And somehow the grandma slept there too?  I'm just not buying it.  And he needs to stop with the hyena laughing with the huge ruby red lips - it's repulsive.

• Love 7

greekmom: what did Danielle's son say was her age ?

Does it really matter? As someone around Danielle's age, 5 years back or forward truly makes no difference in who I am.

I wondered as well why Danielle's son was so shady on her age. Maybe she directed everyone to just have her as in her "40's"? I wonder if Dani and Mo will have kids... Not to stereotype, but the last time I was in the MENA region, some dude stopped flirting with me once he found out I was in my mid 30's. I'm not saying the men there look for someone young and fertile, but, I'm saying....

MENA? Edited by DangerousMinds

Does it really matter? As someone around Danielle's age, 5 years back or forward truly makes no difference in who I am.

MENA?

I think it would only matter for the sake of honesty.  If it doesn't make a difference why lie about it?  Her son said "in her 40's" with a smirk like he was pulling some sort of game or trick on Mohammed.  He seems too dim to realize that Mohammed isn't attracted to Danielle so it wouldn't make any difference how old she was, as long as she is a warm body that can marry him and get him his green card he isn't really concerned.

Yikes, this Jennifer chick is a real piece of work and she has totally put me on Evelin's side.  First off, what the hell is she doing so awesome in the world that she has the right to question anyone else?  What are you going to do for work?  Whatever, bitch, you're a grown ass married woman with a hag face who lives in an apartment complex, you don't have the right to condescend to anyone, ever.  In fact, how about, what is Jennifer doing for work?  I'll bet its nothing that awesome.  And there is no need to sit around making faces.  Any why is it everyone else is okay with not knowing, except her.  Why should anyone be obligated to run their life decisions by her?  And where is everyone else's balls?  Her husband is okay with her behaving this way?  On camera?  

She's angling for her own show.  Betcha.

• Love 2

MENA= Middle East North Africa.   Was too lazy to type it out:).   No, it doesn't matter if you are 41 or 46, but first Danielle cited her age was 41 and then her son was all shady in his response.  Why hide it?   

I

Am I the only one who assumed "10 hour trip" meant round trip (5 hours each way)?  He lives in either WA or OR (can't remember) and his kid is in Idaho.  I live in Pennsylvania, and in 10 hours I can be halfway to Florida or Oklahoma.  I think his kid was hamming it up for the camera.  I had a cousin who I babysat eons ago, and he was like that.  He'd scream bloody murder when his mom would go to work, then he'd turn it off as soon as she left.  And her emphatic "NO" to being a flower girl could have been because her grandma was there, or because she's confused - who knows, and the show is edited so it's hard to say.  As for the "looks" mis-match, I know people that were cute/pretty through high school but aged badly, and I know people from the reverse - dorky in high school but blossomed.  Perhaps she blossomed and he aged badly.

I like Jason and his dad.  I'd watch a show with just them in their day to day life.  I hope she doesn't show up, but you know darn well she will.  So to that end, I'm hoping he sends her packing at some point.

And I agree with others upthread that Amy is getting into a Fundie Lite situation.  The snickers and the fact that the wedding night question was asked at all makes me think so.  Same with the giant gathering of people, etc.  It's just a shame that things were so not thought out, but again, that seems to be the norm with Fundie Lite groups, who seem to fly by the seat of their pants frequently.

• Love 1

How come Brett doesn't have a room for his daughter? I found this really weird, hasn't she visit her father before? There are tons of families who have separate homes. But the children always have there own room or at least there own bed?! I think I'm more shock by that, is this the first time him seeing his daughter? I need more info on this...

Also Jason has seen some dark mojo in war... You can in his eye

Brett lives in a house with 2 other women (people say they're a couple but brett said they're friends from work...so I don't know if they're sharing a room or not). Since his daughter is likely only there a couple times a year (MAYBE - I'm still guessing he only sees her this long 30 day visit) then it doesn't make sense for them to make sure there is a room for her.   I doubt that house has more than 2 or 3 bedrooms anyways. 

• Love 1

And I agree with others upthread that Amy is getting into a Fundie Lite situation.  The snickers and the fact that the wedding night question was asked at all makes me think so.  Same with the giant gathering of people, etc.  It's just a shame that things were so not thought out, but again, that seems to be the norm with Fundie Lite groups, who seem to fly by the seat of their pants frequently.

Didn't they say that they met at some Christian function in Australia? I would not say she was getting into some sort of situation but rather that is where she also came from like the Mormon couple from season one.

• Love 1
(people say they're a couple but brett said they're friends from work...so I don't know if they're sharing a room or not)

When Brett was showing Daya around, didn't he indicate that one of the room's was Lou's room? Not Lou & T's room? I thought for sure Lou and T were a couple, until he said that.

I didn't see that as balls. I saw that as cowardice. Instead of being a man, and facing his family, he avoided them until he was no longer able to do so. Then, when he did have to deal with the consequences of that cowardly behavior, instead of manning up and telling his family to cut it out with the 3rd degree, and calling his sister in law out on her rudeness, he took his toy and ran home.

I don't think the SIL is into Justin. I think she's just one of those women who is a total bitch because everyone allows it. And because nobody has ever put her in check, she feels free to butt in wherever she likes and say whatever she likes about everyone else's business.

Plus, she was roaring drunk; did no one else get deja vu from "the drunk scene" with Mike's mom at the bachelorette party from last season ("why couldn't you find someone in Russia")?  I hope they're not getting these women from the roaring drunk blonde women department at central casting...

Things don't look good for Jamir next week!

• Love 1
Couldn't they take Mohammed to a kosher restaurant too? Or Mediterranean, something close that reminds him of home? And more easy on food cuisine for his diet.

I'm not sure that this family is that "worldly"... Olive Garden might be as "exotic/foreign" as this family is willing to venture.

• Love 2

Things don't look good for Jamir next week!

I was flabbergasted when they showed Chelsea's mom asking what is Yamir going to do for work and then saying that there is a meat plant that hires a lot of hispanics.   Yikes!  That is wrong on so many different levels!

• Love 7

I looked on Yelp at restaurants in Norwalk and they consist of:

- fast food (McD's, KFC, Taco Bell, Dominos, Subway, etc)

- chains (Arby's, Bob Evans, Long John Silver, etc)

- independents (diners, sandwiches, Pizza, Chinese or Mexican)

I think Mohammed would have had difficulty in most places. Probably Mexican, with beans, rice, fajitas (without meat) would have been the best option (but no refried beans, as they're often cooked with lard). But as others have said, Dani's crew looked as if Olive Garden would be considered upscale fancy foreign food. They also look as if they are - to use an English phrase - salad dodgers, whose idea of fruit and vegetables is a giant sack of Lay's or a single strawberry garnishing a massive wedge of cheesecake.

Edited by essexjan
  • Love 5

And her emphatic "NO" to being a flower girl could have been because her grandma was there, or because she's confused - who knows, and the show is edited so it's hard to say. 

IIRC, the gist of the conversation was something like this:

Daya:  Did your dad tell you I want you to be my flower girl?

Daughter:  No.

Daya:  You don't want to be my flower girl?!?

Classic miscommunication, unless something was edited out.

• Love 2

Who said that Brett and Daya are abstaining and that the daughter is a chaperone?  How would Brett feel if Cassidy's mom brought some strange man from a another country and they bedded up with Cassidy?  That would be equally as horrifying.

Brett is a damn idiot.

I think its the tiniest bit creepy for Brett and his mother to sleep in one bed, feels a little Oedipal.  Every other time another couple has proclaimed that they won't sleep together until marriage they have had a chaperone in a separate room, or they have stayed in a different house.  This does feel like cheapness and poor planning.

What???  When did we hear that Brett's mom was in the bed too?  Gasp!!!

• Love 4

They certainly could have taken him to a different restaurant, but I'm almost positive that Danielle's family lives on a steady diet of chicken fingers and cheese sticks.  Their bodies would reject foreign foods

• Love 2

Did Brett and Daya ever state they were waiting until marriage to have sex?

from Daya's side, she wouldn't have to, Even if the Filipino single motherhood rate is near that of America's the default assumption is that she will be a virgin. Only a third trimester pregnancy or a baby in the face of others will break the polite assumption.

• Love 1

from Daya's side, she wouldn't have to, Even if the Filipino single motherhood rate is near that of America's the default assumption is that she will be a virgin. Only a third trimester pregnancy or a baby in the face of others will break the polite assumption.

But that's Daya's culture and not necessarily Brett's.  i would think when dating someone from a different culture you would explain it, the same way Mohammed as kindly and quite firmly explained it to Danielle.  Or how the other couples have had a discussion about it.  I think you have a high rate of unmarried pregnancies the assumption is going to start to slip, or everyone is just going to realize that there are two different situations....what people say and how they actually behave.  And if people know that there is a likelihood that people are only giving lip service to the idea of being a virgin at the alter, they may rightfully have other expectations behind closed doors.

• Love 1

Am I the only one who assumed "10 hour trip" meant round trip (5 hours each way)?  He lives in either WA or OR (can't remember) and his kid is in Idaho.  I live in Pennsylvania, and in 10 hours I can be halfway to Florida or Oklahoma.  I think his kid was hamming it up for the camera.  I had a cousin who I babysat eons ago, and he was like that.  He'd scream bloody murder when his mom would go to work, then he'd turn it off as soon as she left.  And her emphatic "NO" to being a flower girl could have been because her grandma was there, or because she's confused - who knows, and the show is edited so it's hard to say.  As for the "looks" mis-match, I know people that were cute/pretty through high school but aged badly, and I know people from the reverse - dorky in high school but blossomed.  Perhaps she blossomed and he aged badly.

I like Jason and his dad.  I'd watch a show with just them in their day to day life.  I hope she doesn't show up, but you know darn well she will.  So to that end, I'm hoping he sends her packing at some point.

You're right.  I live in Seattle and Coeur D'Alene, ID is only 5 hours away so I don't think the 20 hour roundtrip can possibly be right.

Dear Amy, I'm looking at your fiancé Danny... Don't worry, it's not gonna hurt.

Exactly what I thought when she said that!  I would be much more nervous about how awkward and disappointing it's going to be.

• Love 1

I just feel so bad for Amy. She's too young and sweet for this family. They're obviously making her uncomfortable, but she doesn't feel like she can stand up to them or Danny. When watching the episode, I wanted to shout at her, "Tell his stupid brother to shut up about 'speaking African' and TELL Danny that he better find a solution to that crappy living situation or you're outta there! Stand up to them now or this will be the rest of your life!" But I just don't think she has it in her...yet. I probably wouldn't have been able to either at 21. But now that I'm in my 30s...ah hell naw. I'd be out of there so fast Danny's head would still be spinning, AND the brother would know just how much of a moron I thought he was.

• Love 1

I know a couple that are similar to Danny's family. They're also Christians. The only major difference is that this couple lives together because they keep saying they're going to get engaged.....but there's still no ring after 2 years of going on about it. They also talk about it all the time, and how in love they are. Which is fine, but it just sounds strange, like teenagers who are pining for one another. Is this what being a certain kind of Christian does to people? Makes them into perma-teens about love and relationships? It is so bizarre to me. Or maybe these people are simply immature, which could be the case. It just seems to run rampant among the churchy folks.

I get that they are feeling like some of these couples are in love (Danny and Amy/Chelsea and Yamir/Justin and Evelin), but do they really know what that means? It's more than just butterflies in your stomach and tingly excitement....which tends to fade. All these couples on this show probably don't have what it takes to last after the first 5-7 years....if that. The trick to marriage (so I hear anyway) is really knowing someone, and you can't do that in 90 days or less....even if you spent time with them prior here and there while vacationing.

Edited by fliptopbox
  • Love 2

I'm interested to see just how badly Cassia will behave, and what extreme mental acrobatics Jason will go through to deny that she's as bad as she is, and convince himself that it's ok to marry her. Also want to see how long his father can suppress the urge to shut her down.

• Love 3

That wouldn't make for fun tv ;)   well maybe it WOULD but it would probably be Dani's familiar insulting the owners of the restaurant big time.  Much less insulting to make fun of one man for not eating bacon. 

(and they may have had slim pickings on what restaurant they could film in) 

When Brett was showing Daya around, didn't he indicate that one of the room's was Lou's room? Not Lou & T's room? I thought for sure Lou and T were a couple, until he said that.

Thats what I thought too - I thought things had been stated in the beginning that made it seem like they were NOT a couple. 

Jason goes to Brazil, but is uncertain if Cassia will meet him; Mohamed learns a new meaning for a familiar phrase; Danny's family get on Amy's nerves; Yamir arrives in the U.S. and is welcomed by questions from Chelsea's parents about their future.

I wish I could go back and get the accurate dialogue, but i already deleted it. During one part of the episode Danielle and Mohammed were talking to the camera saying now that he's here in the US we will settle in, get married and live happily every after together...yada yada yada...something to that affect. 

The whole time, Mohammed was subconsciously shaking his head no. It was totally Body Language of Liars 101. Actions speak louder than words Mr. Mohammed. 

Just wondering what his plan is. Does he know he has to sleep with her once or twice after marriage or does he have an excuse all ready for the wedding night? 

Yes, he will find a job that requires travel and make sure his name is on all her accounts. 

• Love 3