Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E29: 45 Second Solos

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

Abby's Annual Dance Concert is always bigger than any old recital and this year is no different, as the theme is an emotional tribute to her mother. With Nationals a few days away, Abby gives the girls 45 seconds to prove they each deserve a solo. When Abby has Kamryn dance in Chloe's place, Christi begins to fear the security of Chloe's position at Nationals.

awwww.... it was hard to see Chloe in the audience crying.

And I know Maddie and Mackenzie are sisters and sisters that close in age do fight and such, but if Maddie really was laughing at Mackenzie messing up... that is pretty crappy.  I'm not saying she did or didn't.

• Love 2

Did they say that this was the first time in 12 years that Chloe didn't perform in the recital? Isn't she only 12? Maybe I misheard it but I'm sure she wasn't performing as an infant.

Edited by Laurie4H

Was Chloe really hurt or just not allowed to be in the recital?

Chloe is no longer at ALDC.  She left that studio about a year ago.  Since she is only there for filming, I can see why she would not be a part of the recital.  Chloe has improved a lot since leaving Abby and Abby can't stand that.  Abby is such a bitch.

I do believe that Christi has stated that Chloe has had some type of surgery but she was fine.  I believe I read somewhere that Chloe had a foot injury.

• Love 1

Chloe is no longer at ALDC.  She left that studio about a year ago.  Since she is only there for filming, I can see why she would not be a part of the recital.  Chloe has improved a lot since leaving Abby and Abby can't stand that.  Abby is such a bitch.

She left the studio, but I doubt she has actively been training at another studio, at least until very very recently.  According to Christi, between school, homework, traveling for comps, filming, "touring" and all the meet and greets they do,  Chloe has basically no free time.  I don't see when she'd be taking classes regularly anywhere else.  

I love Chloe but haven't seen much improvement in her dancing for a while now.  It's kind of impossible to say though because we basically don't get to see Chloe dance on this show, and when we do, its always the same uninspired choreography. To me she seems a little stiff, but it cold just be Abby's choreo. Same for Mckenzie and Nia.  I see Mackenzie improve in the sense that she's getting older and her dances are less cutesy, but I don't see her becoming a "better dancer".  The only ones I personally can detect improvement in are Maddie and Kendall, but that's just me.  

I think Christi is right in her hatred of Abby, but she is also really annoying and I think she encourages a lot of unneeded melodrama when it comes to Chloe.  Instead of offering her young sensitive daughter a little wisdom and perspective in the vein of 'its not the end of the world, abby's just a bitch, nationals won't make or break your life, etc.' she kind of milks the whole thing and enables the drama.  

Edited by sofiah
  • Love 3

I’m sure some of it is editing, but Christi’s arguments are usually ridiculous. Does she honestly think Kamryn and her mom should have stayed home this week for Chloe’s sake? I’m sure Chloe was the last thing they were thinking about when they agreed to appear.  It’s getting a little absurd how Christi thinks EVERYTHING is about Chloe. 

She also needs to cut it out with the criticizing of the other girls’ dancing.  Stop bringing up Kamryn’s flubbed turn and Maddie’s sickled feet.  Don’t disparage the other girls in an attempt to validate your daughter. I know it’s a reaction because she feels Abby’s favorites are never criticized, but it is cruel for her to take it upon herself to bring those girls down.

Edited by prolix
  • Love 2

Chloe is currently attending Studio 19 outside of Pittsburgh and has been for a while.  She is also modeling clothing for Just For Kix and has just completed another photoshoot with Sharkcookie.  She  will be helping with the VIP Dance Event in Calgary on October 5. 

Chloe had nasal surgery to correct a sinus problem a few weeks back.

Kamryn has been dancing at ALDC for over a year.  I think her mother moved her to Pittsburgh to attend ALDC.  There is no reason why she shouldn't perform at the recital since she is actually a student there.  I feel like Kamryn will be the replacement for Chloe, and Sarah will become a member of the elite team as well. 

• Love 3
I love Chloe but haven't seen much improvement in her dancing for a while now.  It's kind of impossible to say though because we basically don't get to see Chloe dance on this show, and when we do, its always the same uninspired choreography. To me she seems a little stiff, but it cold just be Abby's choreo. Same for Mckenzie and Nia.  I see Mackenzie improve in the sense that she's getting older and her dances are less cutesy, but I don't see her becoming a "better dancer".  The only ones I personally can detect improvement in are Maddie and Kendall, but that's just me.  

I agree that there has been more growth with Maddie and Kendall. I think that's a function of the favoritism. With these girls doing comps every week of dance season and filming a tv show plus going to school, there is no way they are taking a lot of classes. That would mean that improvement over these past years has come from practicing new routines, not from taking classes. With Maddie and Kendall being given multiple solos/duets every season, they have had lots of private instruction and opportunities for personal growth. Maddie seems to work on new turns every other solo. Not to mention, as favorites, they get lead parts in group and these lead parts involve learning complicated choreography. I notice that Abby often has a part in her group dances where Chloe, Maddie, and Kendall come forward and do turns or complicated choreography, while Mack and Nia are stuck in the back doing basic floorwork. This creates a situation where the favorites get to "learn by doing" and the others get stuck in the background never learning anything new.

• Love 4

Kamryn has been dancing at ALDC for over a year.  I think her mother moved her to Pittsburgh to attend ALDC.  There is no reason why she shouldn't perform at the recital since she is actually a student there.  I feel like Kamryn will be the replacement for Chloe, and Sarah will become a member of the elite team as well.

I wish they'd just let us see whats really going on instead of some weird fabricated storyline.  Although, that does make Christi's complaints about Kamryn dancing at the recital seem that much more absurd! Also, all the mothers talking about how convenient it was that Kamryn got called back right in time for recital, etc.  I guess they're all in on pretending Kamryn hasn't been there the whole time… or maybe when they say "Called back" they just mean "called back to be on camera with us". 

Good for Chloe though, for moving on and finding a different studio.  I saw some of her first Sharkcookie pictures and they were beautiful.  So were Kendall's and Nia's.  

• Love 1

The thing about Christi bitching and whining is that it's all part of the storyline.  Christi is done with ALDC, Chloe is done with ALDC and they are just playing out the contract, doing what they are told to do and saying what they are told to say.  I have absolutely no doubt that Chloe is instructed by the director, "Time for the sad face", and Christi is told, "Time to scream about how Chloe is treated."  I believe they are both happy with their lives and will be even happier when they are done with this train wreck of a show.  

I'm tired of watching it and if they decide to continue to beat the dead horse that is "Dance Moms", I won't be watching.  The only reason to tune in next time would be Nia but frankly, it's just not worth it.  

• Love 2

It's pretty common for directors/ owners to wait until the last minute to take out curlers... For those who wear them I giess. They are often not seen on stage until curtain call and are running around back stage acting as stage manager, so by the time the go out they look dishoveled. Granted I don't see this as the case for Abby as we see she stays in the control booth, but in my experience of dance recitals this is my experience.

I was really curious about the hair roller thing, too.  But that makes sense I guess.

Did they say that this was the first time in 12 years that Chloe didn't perform in the recital? Isn't she only 12? Maybe I misheard it but I'm sure she wasn't performing as an infant.

Plus, correct me if I'm wrong, didn't she not dance in the recital JUST LAST YEAR?  When they got kicked out because of Christi's behavior? I mean, they even referenced it on this ep and showed a clip of it.  So, yeah, that made no sense.

I myself will be done when Chloe and Christi are done with the show.  

I'm so glad I stopped by and read this. I have been saying the same thing for several seasons, and now I'll be free of that fat pig! Thanks for making my day.

didn't she not dance in the recital JUST LAST YEAR?  When they got kicked out because of Christi's behavior?

No, Chloe/Christi didn't compete at Nationals and that's what the clip was from. I think last season was when Kelly got thrown out for ranting about Abby and the producers during the rehearsals of the recital.

• Love 1

No, Chloe/Christi didn't compete at Nationals and that's what the clip was from. I think last season was when Kelly got thrown out for ranting about Abby and the producers during the rehearsals of the recital.

Ah, right.  Thanks for the reminder.  I just remembered someone yelling a lot and getting kicked out of the recital.  But I guess that was Kelly and her kids.

This was bugging me so I looked up Chloe's birthday.  She turned 13 in May, which I'm guessing was around showcase time.  So, if this year's recital was to be her 12th then she would have been two for her first.  While I'm sure children don't perform in recitals THAT young, I'm betting Christi was off by only a year or two.  She does a lot of things that bug me but I'll give her a pass on that one, lol.

As for Cloe crying in the audience...whether she's at the studio or not I think it would still be very hard to watch your former dance school perform.  We recently moved to a new city and my daughters had to leave their dance studio.  We talked about going back to see the recital but both girls didn't think they'd be able to handle it.  I'm sure Chloe is over Abby but she was part of that team/studio for a long time.  I think the tears were real.

• Love 3

I thought Chloe began dancing at Abby's when she was three, but it could have been two.  I've had a two year old in a dance recital but obviously that class didn't do a lot of dancing.  It was a class of 2 and 3 year olds in pre-school ballet and tap. 

There was a girl who performed in her first recital at age 1 at my DD's dance studio. Her mom is one of the teachers. Basically, she came out on stage and twirled around her daddy :).  At age 2, she did a little more, but still mostly twirling around Daddy. She's actually taking her first dance class this year (preschool ballet/tap/tumbling combo), but this Spring's recital will be her third. 

Chloe is no longer at ALDC.  She left that studio about a year ago.  Since she is only there for filming, I can see why she would not be a part of the recital.  Chloe has improved a lot since leaving Abby and Abby can't stand that.  Abby is such a bitch.

I do believe that Christi has stated that Chloe has had some type of surgery but she was fine.  I believe I read somewhere that Chloe had a foot injury.

I don't see any more improvement in her than any of the other girls.  Where is she training?

Apparently here -Studio 19.  Top 3 in the FDC would be evidence of being a pretty damned good studio.

A studio should be judged by their teaching staff and their schedule.  Based on the website it looks like the exact same type of studio as Abby's.  Lot of competition awards.  The website states that it requires competition students to take 2 ballet classes per week.  Not enough to get passed advanced beginner, but they still offer pointe. Jazz and hip hop classes that are only 45 minutes or 1 hour long.  Teen classes should never but under 1.5 hours long.  She made a parallel move.  But her mother's an idiot, so it's not surprising.  Hopefully she'll be happy there.  It's doubtful she will dance beyond high school. 

@Lemons - I don't disagree with you - but generally speaking in my experience very few highly competitive dancers seek a career in dance (they burn out on it), though placing high in National FDC voting does mean something in that arena.

And you don't have to sell me either, I pulled my kid out of a highly competitive studio (though one where one of her cohorts went on to Julliard) at 11 and opted for a much more ballet focused studio where most of the dancers do go on to major or minor in dance at a college level.  For example, my kid's initial placement was at the highest level ballet classes for a state flagship BFA and a private liberal arts college BFA program.

• Love 1

@Lemons - I don't disagree with you - but generally speaking in my experience very few highly competitive dancers seek a career in dance (they burn out on it), though placing high in National FDC voting does mean something in that arena.

And you don't have to sell me either, I pulled my kid out of a highly competitive studio (though one where one of her cohorts went on to Julliard) at 11 and opted for a much more ballet focused studio where most of the dancers do go on to major or minor in dance at a college level.  For example, my kid's initial placement was at the highest level ballet classes for a state flagship BFA and a private liberal arts college BFA program.

Congratulations on your daughter, Next!  That's what Kristy would do for Chloe if she had her best interests at heart.  Chloe has said that she wants to be a dancer.  I think she's 13?  Of course, many will change their minds, but what if she doesn't?  She won't be prepared if she stays with these type of studios.

Actually @Lemons Chloe has also said she wants to be a pediatrician. 

That's not a surprise either.  But for kids like Maddie that seem so singularly focused many dancers are way above average students.  Most of my kids's dancing cohorts ended up in top 1-50 institutions, and many of them in esteemed dance programs double majoring or minoring in dance with pursuits in things like Medicine and International Relations.

Thanks Lemons!

Edited by NextIteration

awwww.... it was hard to see Chloe in the audience crying.

And I know Maddie and Mackenzie are sisters and sisters that close in age do fight and such, but if Maddie really was laughing at Mackenzie messing up... that is pretty crappy.  I'm not saying she did or didn't.

YEAH sometimes maddie seems so mean

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2014 at 11:55 AM, Absolom said:

I thought Chloe began dancing at Abby's when she was three, but it could have been two.  I've had a two year old in a dance recital but obviously that class didn't do a lot of dancing.  It was a class of 2 and 3 year olds in pre-school ballet and tap. 

Christi's said 2 and 3; such a liar no one can be sure! As for Chloe leaving the studio, it was the reason she wasn't allowed to be in the Toddrick Hall video, "Freaks Like me!" Chloe can thank her mother again! ;-)

- -