Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E02: The Knockout

The red team was in the living room & someone said something about rah-rah we don't need no gym. Dolvett said, "Mmm, I like that." I emerged from my inappropriate fantasy around the time Bob weighed his folks at Loser Lounge.

ETA: If I wasn't in such fear of the responsibilities of work I might not eat so much food. And with that sentence I believe I should get every talking head scheduled for the challenge.

Edited by ramble
  • Love 2

Emmy was eliminated, but was rescued, at least temporarily, by Bob.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow night's show, the BL Recap, or some such.

Looks to be BL Light, with an hour cut out, so I want to see how it compares, and maybe I can switch to that.

My DVR picked it up, and I think it's at 8PM. 

I'm glad that the big guy, Rob, didn't get sent home.  I don't know anything about Emmy.
I thought Dolvett was out of line kicking Blake (are you impressed that I know a few names?) out of the gym.
She had every right not to tell what her underlying problem was.

Vanessa seems to be taking it slow and steady since she left.  She could lose some more, but at her height, she can carrry a lot of weight.
I guess she passed a physical for BL, because you wonder about Marfan's at her height.

I was glad that Jessie redeemed himself.

I thought Dolvett was out of line kicking Blake (are you impressed that I know a few names?) out of the gym.

That was a bit much -- tell me your story or your banned from the gym until you do.  Smacked of production shenanigans.

And then Dolvett takes the whole "why expect you to tell me your backstory, so here's mine first" approach.  And the Team Red members were all so thankful he did it.

Except, each of the 3 trainers did the exact same thing for their teams, so it comes off a little less than sincere and more like a required production task.

Jessie the Trainer's backstory came off as pretty whiny compared to the contestants -- while he isn't physically with his family, he can still contact them (phone, Skype, e-mail, video message) on a daily basis, and maybe go home to visit every now and again whereas the contestants are completely cutoff from the outside world.  Not quite equivalent.

• Love 3

Rob's temper tantrums were annoying me. But he makes for "good" tv so he will stay.

Scott reminds me of Fred Willard or John Michael Higgins.

It seemed they had the camera on the floor shooting upwards when they were filming Vanessa, to make her appear even taller.

It probably is in their contract that they have to disclose their problems on tv. I kind of sided with Blake though.

• Love 1

If Blake didn't want to divulge her real personal issues on tv (and I get that) and is she were required to do so, she could have just made some shit up. heh.  

Auntjess, thanks for the heads up about tonight's show. My DVR had not picked it up. Is it just clips from Thur. show or something else?

Emmy was eliminated, but was rescued, at least temporarily, by Bob.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow night's show, the BL Recap, or some such.

Looks to be BL Light, with an hour cut out, so I want to see how it compares, and maybe I can switch to that.

My DVR picked it up, and I think it's at 8PM. 

I'm glad that the big guy, Rob, didn't get sent home.  I don't know anything about Emmy.

Vanessa seems to be taking it slow and steady since she left.  She could lose some more, but at her height, she can carrry a lot of weight.

I guess she passed a physical for BL, because you wonder about Marfan's at her height.

I was glad that Jessie redeemed himself.

Thanks for the 411!

I agree about Blake. I thought it was lame because it came off to me like she didn't want to disclose anything to Dolvett while sitting all of 2 feet away from 20 other contestants. At least when Dr. Phillian would force sob stories out of people she would actually take them outside to do it.

• Love 2

I like Dolvett for many reasons, but one is that he didn't used to do that Jillian-esque "therapy" bullshit (not that therapy is bullshit, but therapy from non licensed folks is, imo) When he was biting his lip and soul searching and going all drama queen, I just wanted to scream, "NO! Don't join the dark side!"

• Love 5

It probably is in their contract that they have to disclose their problems on tv. I kind of sided with Blake though.

I did too, and thought it was ridiculous the way he kept prodding her to blab in the middle of the public gym.  That being said, I feel for Blake being saddled with weight issues from such a young age, but I was expecting something at least borderline traumatic, not, "I never hit the goal weight my parents set for me."  

• Love 2

You could feel her edging around that even in what they aired.  She was trying like hell to express that without using the words (because they're forbidden to ever talk about the process of filming, or any of the coaching or production instructions and know at best it will get cut and at worst they'll get booted off the show if they do).  Were her exact words "I don't want to talk about that now"?  Or possibly it was "I don't want to talk about that here".  Either way she won the rare reality TV battle to get some subtext through, because I got it.  She didn't want it on TV, but likely would have had zero problem with unloading as part of actual therapy.

So she won me over there, even as I'm sure viewers who don't look for subtext like that simply think she was being whiny and obstinate.  No.  No she wasn't.

I'm not wild about the armchair therapy either but I was expecting a heck of a lot more from Blake than that.

She's very young, so it probably is a big deal to her. Only when she's had a little "life experience" inflicted on her, will she realize that perhaps not hitting a goal weight someone else set isn't that much of an issue. 

She's very young, so it probably is a big deal to her.

But, but she's an athlete & trying to recapture her glory days of yore. Wait she's only 18? You mean she's too young to truly have glory days? *gasp* BL didn't cast all glory day athletes? Shocked!

Okay, I'm not making fun of young Blake for not having a tragedy. I'm making fun of BL for trying to sell this second chance storyline. IMO the folks in their teens & early 20s talking about their former glory is ridiculous, just as ridiculous as a 40somethjng high school cheerleader discussing her lost athleticism. Honestly almost any 40something high school athlete. If they didn't do anything past high school aren't they just like most of America & simply let themselves go. A big portion of people did some type of activity in high school, it doesn't make them former glory-draped athletes.

I don't care much because I generally prefer average people on this show. I definitely prefer them over stunt casting like Reuben. However, if BL is going to try to sell a season of past athletes than they should actually be former athletes.

And with all that being said, even though I know Blake is young, I was wishing she could've been voted out. Her annoying laugh & tendency to constantly use it along with almost every sentence uttered annoys me greatly. It may be a defense mechanism, but mean old me doesn't care.

• Love 1

I feel like Blake left something out when having her big heart-to-heart with Dolvett.  She was quite clear that something happened at age 11 (I can't recall exactly what she said).  And being 100lbs at age 5?  Huge red flag!!  I think she just realised that she had to say something, so that's what she came up with.  If so, smart girl!  Let the producers have what they need, then hopefully get help in private when you can!

• Love 2

Rob can get off my tv any time now.  Seriously.  (Although I guess he is as much an advertisement for how much excess weight will age you as anyone - every time I look at him, I think he's pushing 40 and he's only 26.)  I did chuckle at Dr. Death's assertion that he'd "throw away the wheelchair" and it still sat behind them during the continuation of their chat.  Hee.

I kind of feel sorry for Blake.  She's got the nervous-uncomfortable-if-I-smile-and-giggle-enough-they'll-give-up teenage girl uncomfortable behavior going on.  (And if her "big share" was only a half truth, which was the vibe I got, then I applaud her.  If there is more serious trauma going on, there's no reason to share in on national television.)

ETA: Did anyone else notice that, during the weigh-in of the red team, they cut them out of order? You could see in the total weight lost screen in the background that they must have weighed Blake then ... the older guy with the bum knee and then the woman that was voted off, but they edited it to make it seem like she went second.  Not sure why they would have made that call - I don't think it upped the drama or narrative at all.

Edited by Eeksquire
  • Love 1

I do not understand why people would want to go on national television to become a guinea pig for a doctor who thinks he can cure fat people and to feed the egos of a few trainers *cough Bob and Jillian cough* The show is feeding off the fact that people can become desperate enough to try almost anything to lose weight. Exposing your traumatic life events to the average television viewer, imo, may not be the best answer. The demons or whatever else drove a person to eat like there is no tomorrow may not be solved by losing weight.

So who else watched the one hour version? 

I mentioned it in fix the show thread.
It didn't feel like I'd have missed anything vital.  Less of challenge, and no Blake/Dolvett.
A bit less of Dr H, but still Rob's meltdown. 
I may move over to the short side.

• Love 1

Rob's meltdown is exactly the kind of thing I would have with Dr. Hair. A bit OTT, but kind of a "Leave me the f alone!" moment. Oh, and Dr. Hair's "Jumbo Jumbotron" is a new low for the show.

"How fat will you be in a few years? Let's go yo the 'Jumbo Jumbotron'!"

• Love 1

The height does make one wonder, but she lacks a lot of the other telltale characteristics (judging by photos from her WNBA days), so I'm guessing she's just tall.

• Love 1

I'm not wild about the armchair therapy either but I was expecting a heck of a lot more from Blake than that.

My best friend since 1st grade had the chubby issues going on since a young age.  Her parents constantly dug at her about it, and she had major self esteem/depression issues because of it.  When Blake said she was sneak/binge eating I figured her parents acted pretty much the same - they probably monitored every little bite she took.  She also said something about when she lost weight it was the only time her 'rents said she had done good.

I can imagine how not getting to that weight could make her feel horrible.  I bet her parents reminded her of that fact every day.  I can't imagine being a kid and facing that kind of criticism from my parents.  I don't think she was telling the whole story either, just enough to get them to leave her alone.

• Love 3

I'm sorry, but the homely blonde former softball Olympian grinds my gears.    She's always whining and sobbing and looking like Brett Butler's rode hard and put away wet older sister.    You're fat.   They're all fat.   Poor Chandra has to stand there with all her junk hanging out, quivering like a bowl full of jelly and she's not even moving.    In the grand scheme of biggest loser fatness, blondie's not  that fat overall.   Stop the damn sniveling 24/7.

The former WNBA player seemed to have a very pleasant disposition.   She looked very cute in her red dress and her 40 pound weight loss. 

• Love 2

I'm sorry, but the homely blonde former softball Olympian grinds my gears.    She's always whining and sobbing and looking like Brett Butler's rode hard and put away wet older sister.   

Yeah, that's Lori. She got on my nerves from the first episode. I'm thinking she has kind of a thin skin and I suspect she is going to be angling to arrange alliances. 

But I am reallllly hoping I don;t see any freaking alliances this season. UGH. PleaseGodno.

• Love 1

Lori, thanks.

Did I hear her say she's had seven miscarriages, yet wants to try again, though she's in her forties?   It's hard to tell since she's always blubbering with a nose full of snot to distort her words. 

• Love 2

Did I hear her say she's had seven miscarriages, yet wants to try again, though she's in her forties?

You know, the first time she told her story, I was sympathetic to her.  That has to be very traumatic to deal with.  And, in fact, I'm still sympathetic to her.

However, Dr. Death gets ALL MY HATE when he brought up trying again after she's lost the weight.  Um, SO MUCH NO.  First of all, I don't know what his supposed specialty is, but it sure as hell isn't gynecology or obstetrics and he has ABSOLUTELY no business making any kind of prediction along those lines.  Second of all, it was so transparently designed to make her EVEN MORE EMOTIONAL that I wanted to reach through the tv and smack the smirk off his face.  Ugh.

• Love 3

I'm just thinking that multiple miscarriages plus being over forty is nature's way of telling you that it probably isn't going to happen.    Just being obese isn't going to cause multiple miscarriages by itself.   Many very obese women carry children to term.    If she has really miscarried seven times, she's a fool for continuing to try it.    I'm still not sure she actually said seven, though.  I'd also take medical advice from the homeless man on the corner before I'd take it from Dr.  Mullet Mc Skeleton face Perm head.

• Love 4

I feel like Blake left something out when having her big heart-to-heart with Dolvett.  She was quite clear that something happened at age 11 (I can't recall exactly what she said).  And being 100lbs at age 5?  Huge red flag!!  I think she just realised that she had to say something, so that's what she came up with.  If so, smart girl!  Let the producers have what they need, then hopefully get help in private when you can!

I got the sense that there was more to the story concerning her parents. Maybe they were physically and/or emotionally abusive? She's 18, probably Iiving with them. There was something she didn't want to say on camera, maybe didn't want to say at all. Trainers shouldn't play psychologist. But even a psychologist or therapist wouldn't try to force her to talk about something she's not ready to deal with.

• Love 1

I got the sense that there was more to the story concerning her parents. Maybe they were physically and/or emotionally abusive? She's 18, probably Iiving with them. There was something she didn't want to say on camera, maybe didn't want to say at all. Trainers shouldn't play psychologist. But even a psychologist or therapist wouldn't try to force her to talk about something she's not ready to deal with.

Maybe they might. But unless they are Dr. Drew Pinsky or Phil McGraw, they won't try and make them do it ON CAMERA, to be braodcast to millions of people.
  • Love 2

A big portion of people did some type of activity in high school, it doesn't make them former glory-draped athletes.

I laughed too hard at this, picturing all these sad "former glory-draped athletes" walking around with all their high school trophies, medals and awards ( participant ribbons?), wishing for the good old days. 

I'd like to see more focus on how to cook healthy with a busy lifestyle over product placement. Some Progresso soup might be good as lunch for one, but when you got a hungry family at the end of the day? 

• Love 1