Forums forums
PRIMETIMER

Primetimer

Live From New York Is Back. It's 30% Longer And At Least 20% Better!

I have been working my way through the new sections.

One of he biggest surprises for me so far is that it's Horatio Sanz who calls out how  weak most of the political sketches have gotten over the past few years under Jim Downey.   Horatio Sanz!   He took a couple of real shots.  And apparently he wanted more political material than he ever got.  Who knew?

Sarah Palin was also interviewed.  She says if she ever runs into Tina Fey again, she'll demand money.  She thinks Tina should pay some of her expenses, like her kids' orthodontist bills or whatever,  because of how well Tina made out from her impression.  Heh.  I would love to be a fly on the wall if that conversation ever took place to hear Tina respond.  

• Like 1

The best Sarah Palin quote for me is when she says people are delusional if they think SNL had any impact on the election. Two pages later, John McCain says that SNL was extremely influential in the way people perceived the candidates.

• Like 1

So who writes this book? Is it a collection of stories? I've heard so much about it getting updated that I waited to read it. What should I expect inside?

--The Washington Post's former TV critic Tom Shales, the only TV critic to win a Pulitzer, who has covered SNL since its launch, is listed as co-author, but I don't think he had anything to do with the update. (Shales was pissed when SNL did its "in the '70s," "in the 80s," in the 90s," series and he wasn't given any credit.)

--James Andrew Miller, who also co-authored the original book, has been tweeting the past year about interviewing all the cast members. He also co-authored an oral history of ESPN with Shales.

Edited by nowandlater
  • Like 1

Sarah Palin was also interviewed.  She says if she ever runs into Tina Fey again, she'll demand money.  She thinks Tina should pay some of her expenses, like her kids' orthodontist bills or whatever,  because of how well Tina made out from her impression.  Heh.  I would love to be a fly on the wall if that conversation ever took place to hear Tina respond.  

Lol, she makes it seem like a) Tina Fey is blowing her nose with hundred-dollar bills and b) the Palin impression was the only thing of substance Tina's done over the course of her whole career. Oh, honey. Please rent Mean Girls. Or binge-watch 30 Rock. Or pick up a copy of Bossypants from your local Barnes and Noble. Or go back to 2008 and, for the love of God, stay there.

Edited by helenamonster
  • Like 5

Isn't Kenan's overdose overdue?

Heh, that's harsh but I do see an M.I. in his future.

Rumor has it that the new guy Michael Che won't appear in any sketches but I hope that doesn't turn out to be the case. He could easily put on some padding and take over the "fat guy" bits that always go to Kenan now. I was done with Kenan when he publicly talked trash about Black female comics and will always believe that he did it on behalf of Loren Michaels (who wouldn't dare say that stuff himself, at least not in public).

• Like 1

Heh, that's harsh but I do see an M.I. in his future.

Rumor has it that the new guy Michael Che won't appear in any sketches but I hope that doesn't turn out to be the case. He could easily put on some padding and take over the "fat guy" bits that always go to Kenan now. I was done with Kenan when he publicly talked trash about Black female comics and will always believe that he did it on behalf of Loren Michaels (who wouldn't dare say that stuff himself, at least not in public).

Or Che and Jay Pharoah could play brothers.

There was one other quote so far that made me roll my eyes and groan a little. I think it might have a quote from Lorne, too.   It was about how various cast members stay on the show longer now, but that nobody is saying that Kenan  has stayed too long and why doesn't he make room for the new people.

Ugh.

Change Nobody says that to everybody says that, and I would agree.

It reminds me that I heard someone say before that nobody ever makes Lorne laugh as much at the table reads as Kenan.  I'll never  get that.

Edited by vb68

Finally, the inside story of Dooneese and "What's Up With That" can be told. In one paragraph apiece, so there's room for nine pages on Stefon.

I'm curious about this quote from Monty's article:

"First of all, there are new quotes scattered throughout the old sections, along with some careful editing so that Dan Aykroyd is no longer praising Chris Kattan's monkey character."

Was there something "inappropriate" about Chris Kattan's monkey character that makes Aykroyd's praise for it particularly embarrassing now for Aykroyd? Why would it need to be edited out? Especially, why would it need to be "carefully" edited out, which implies a deliberate, surgical precision, driven by a strong imperative? What was this imperative?

Edited by Milburn Stone

It was about how various cast members stay on the show longer now, but that nobody is saying that Kenan  has stayed too long and why doesn't he make room for the new people.

Maybe Kenan has photos of Lorne doing nasty things with farm animals. Nothing else makes sense because the guy is not funny (IMO) and pretty much all the characters he does are just different takes on the same person--himself.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Like 1

I'm curious about this quote from Monty's article:

"First of all, there are new quotes scattered throughout the old sections, along with some careful editing so that Dan Aykroyd is no longer praising Chris Kattan's monkey character."

Was there something "inappropriate" about Chris Kattan's monkey character that makes Aykroyd's praise for it particularly embarrassing now for Aykroyd? Why would it need to be edited out? Especially, why would it need to be "carefully" edited out, which implies a deliberate, surgical precision, driven by a strong imperative? What was this imperative?

Sounds like it could be the literary equivalent of Greedo rather than Han shooting first (tired analogy, I know), though until I read the new version, I won't know for sure. Hmm...

Supposedly there is not a single quote from Sudeikis in the book.

I have no idea if he's bitter about  something or whatever his issue might be, but it's kinda interesting.