Type keyword(s) to search

Discontinued Foods You Miss

GreekGeek
  • Start Topic

I didn't like those Cheez Balls/Curls; to me, they tasted like the inside of the can.  I had a friend who used "Cheetos" as a generic term encompassing Cheetos and those Planters things, so I had a few disappointments when she'd suggest we munch on some Cheetos and then turn up with the can instead of the bag.

I'm a Cheetos Puffs gal; if Frito Lay ever discontinues those, I'm storming headquarters.

Has anyone mentioned bacon Slim Jims? I loved those as a kid.

About 20 years ago, there was a line of frozen dinners called Irrezestables. I don't remember who put them out. They made a chicken and sausage gumbo that was delicious. I worked nights then, and the Irrezestables gumbo was dinner on a regular basis. 

Those Stir & Frost cakes were pretty awesome, too. 

47 minutes ago, DXD526 said:

Those Stir & Frost cakes were pretty awesome, too. 

Yeah! We discussed that earlier in the thread, and I liked that, too. (There was another in the same line I recall called a Snackin' Cake, but that one had no frosting. So obviously, I preferred the former. LOL! Unfortunately, both are long gone.)

5 hours ago, DXD526 said:

Has anyone mentioned bacon Slim Jims? I loved those as a kid.

Oberto has bacon jerky - it is pretty popular with my son & his cousins.  A stocking stuffer must for them.

@AwesomO4000 - I remember having butterscotch-dipped DQ cones (apparently you could also get cherry-dipped at one time, which sounds perfectly horrible to me; I like cherry, but I imagine this being fake and cough syrupy.) I'd never heard of Krunch Koat, but I found a recipe for home-made. I guess you'd have to bring it in a Baggie, get a plain soft-serve, and cover the ice cream yourself? If you try it, let us know how it is. 

• Love 2
On 8/26/2016 at 3:16 PM, editorgrrl said:

The fudge is my favorite part. Friendly's still makes the Jubilee Roll, and sells some products at Stop + Shop (if you're still in Massachusetts)

I am now in Georgia... I miss the food most from Mass. The weather not so much. ; )

It's good to know that it's still around though.

1 hour ago, Babalu said:

@AwesomO4000 - I remember having butterscotch-dipped DQ cones (apparently you could also get cherry-dipped at one time, which sounds perfectly horrible to me; I like cherry, but I imagine this being fake and cough syrupy.) I'd never heard of Krunch Koat, but I found a recipe for home-made. I guess you'd have to bring it in a Baggie, get a plain soft-serve, and cover the ice cream yourself? If you try it, let us know how it is. 

Ooh, thank you. I might have to try that... though our Dairy Queen didn't use the sprinkles in it that I remember. But the peanuts definitely makes sense, considering that I remembered a peanut brittle flavor. Good to know my taste buds  - and memory - were working!

• Love 1
On 8/25/2016 at 11:30 PM, AwesomO4000 said:
  • Baskin Robbins' Golden medly flavor ice cream - or something like that. This was one of their "flavors of the month" and it had white chocolate, milk chocolate, and dark chocolate ice creams all mixed together with a fudge ribbon (not chocolate syrup) and a caramel ribbon running through it. It was awesome.  I can't remember, but there might've also been almonds involved, but after the aforementioned other ingredients, that was already enough and kind of is the part I remember.

Gold medal ribbon is a Baskin Robbins staple and Trader Joe's has their own version that is, dare I say it, better. But GMR sounds different than the ice cream you are describing.

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Gold medal ribbon is a Baskin Robbins staple and Trader Joe's has their own version that is, dare I say it, better. But GMR sounds different than the ice cream you are describing.

What would TJ's version be called so I can add it to my shopping list?

• Love 1
On August 26, 2016 at 2:30 AM, AwesomO4000 said:

Baskin Robbins' Golden medly flavor ice cream—or something like that. This was one of their "flavors of the month" and it had white chocolate, milk chocolate, and dark chocolate ice creams all mixed together with a fudge ribbon (not chocolate syrup) and a caramel ribbon running through it. There might've also been almonds involved.

5 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Gold medal ribbon is a Baskin Robbins staple and Trader Joe's has their own version that is, dare I say it, better.

Baskin-Robbins Gold Medal Ribbon® ice cream is vanilla + chocolate with a caramel ribbon: https://www.baskinrobbins.com/content/baskinrobbins/en/products/icecream/flavors/goldmedalribbonicecream.html. it was created for the 1980 Winter Olympics: http://www.baskinrobbinsmea.com/en/about-us/know-the-brand/fun-facts/

The Trader Joe's version is called Golden Caramel Swirl.

golden-caramel-swirl-ice-cream.jpg

9 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I searched and couldn't find any flavor Baskin Robbins had that was like what I remembered... and then I realized why. It wasn't a Baskin Robbins flavor at all! It was a Bresler's Ice Cream flavor. *headdesk*

I was in Florida at the time (mid 80s), and they had a Bresler's (of the 33 flavors fame rather than 31) Ice Cream shop.  I don't remember the name of the flavor now, but think that Triple might have been in it. Maybe Triple chocolate medley or something like that. Bresler's is no more, but I sure miss their ice cream. And that particular flavor was something else. Each of the chocolate ice creams had a distinctive flavor, the fudge ribbon was rich (not like chocolate syrup, but actual fudge) and the caramel was nice and thick, too, but not overly sweet (almost butterscotchy). It's a good thing that I had a fast metabolism back then, that's for sure, because I couldn't stay away from that place very long. Even worse, there was a Grandy's right nearby - I loved their fried chicken livers. It's a good thing I also ate healthy the rest of the time, otherwise I wouldn't have made it through college. Heh.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, AwesomO4000 said:

there was a Grandy's right nearby - I loved their fried chicken livers. 

Grandy's  chicken livers. Sigh.

I can get a (sometimes huge) box of fried chicken livers at KFC for less than $4. Don't know if they're available at all KFCs.

eta and I would love to have my younger self's metabolism back. I feel like I'm sometimes eating vicariously through these threads.

Edited by NewDigs
  • Love 2
On 8/26/2016 at 2:20 PM, NewDigs said:

I miss:

image.jpg

They were especially good tossed into chili. Mmmm. They had more substance to them than Cheetos but still turned fingertips orange. 

::weeps::

With Pepsi going back to the well and re-releasing Crystal Pepsi (for a limited time, both last December and now for a few weeks) and Pepsi Blue abroad (blech), why won't Planter's try it and bring Cheez Balls back? Why? <Sniff>

I am also on the train of sorrow for the demise of Planters Cheese Balls.  I have tried the Walgreens brand and they are ok but don't compare to the Planters (at least in my faded memory).

I really miss Jello Pudding Pops - I know you can make your own but it is not the same.  Target was carrying a brand a few years ago and they were good but I haven't seen them there in awhile.

Royal Dark and Sweet Chocolate Cooked Pudding - it made the best chocolate cream pie.  

Blueberries and Cream Lifesaver Lollipops - So good and I have looked high and low for these.  Also the strawberry banana ones.

Mini Atomic Fireballs in a box for 10 cents (or a quarter) - They still make mini ones but they are chewy, not hard.  Also, they still make Lemonheads and Alexander the Grapes (along with some other candies) in those same boxes (I see them at Five Below) but not the mini Fireballs for some reason.

Freezer Queen Cook In Pouch Meals - my husband used to love these when we were first married.  He asks for them all of the time still but I don't think they make them anymore.

Ben and Jerry's Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Ice Cream - another thing my husband asks me about constantly!  Also, Wavy Gravy and Rainforest Crunch.  I have sent multiple requests to B & J's to bring them back.  I believe they bourght PB Cookie Dough back and one point several years ago but it was not the same.  Also, I think they brought Wavy Gravy back but I was never able to find it.  I find all of the flavors they carry now to be way too sweet.

B&J's Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Ice Cream is my favorite! I was so very sad when it went to the Ice Cream Graveyard (which I do occasionally visit). The Tonight Dough has peanut butter cookie dough in chocolate, along with Oreos, so it's kind of close but not as good as the original. I also miss Cool Britannia which was strawberry with pieces of chocolate covered shortbread.  That one didn't last long, but I really liked it.

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 3

Nabisco used to make these Swiss Cheese crackers and I loved them! They were shaped like swiss cheese and they were so good! I've tried the cheezits swiss cheese flavor but they're just not the same at all. 

24352_104572979574346_878926_n.jpg?oh=fb

Maurice Lenell cookies!  I think it was the almond ones?  They either had large sugar crystals or powdered sugar on them, or maybe there was more than one kind?  I think someone brought them to our house for a party when I was a kid and they were like a dream come true since we never got non-homemade sweets (I know, I know, we did not appreciate a mom that baked for real), and then my sister and I became obsessed with them when we were teenagers.  I've never seen them since, anywhere.

3 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

I tried the Lemon flavor of the Duncan Hines cake.  It was only O.K.  Needed more intense lemon flavor, rather sweet for my taste.

I may have to try the old standard yellow cake with chocolate frosting version. And/or the Strawberries and Cream flavor!

I remember that they brought the Snackin' Cake back for a while but I guess it's gone again. :( I've seen the new Duncan Hines cakes but I haven't bought any because I'm that weirdo that hates frosting. 

For good news, I'm so happy that New York Seltzer is back. It tastes exactly the same as I remember. I was hooked on that shit in the '80s. The only problem is that around here only World Market carries it and they are kinda far from me. When I'm there I stock up though.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, festivus said:

I remember that they brought the Snackin' Cake back for a while but I guess it's gone again. :( I've seen the new Duncan Hines cakes but I haven't bought any because I'm that weirdo that hates frosting. 

For good news, I'm so happy that New York Seltzer is back. It tastes exactly the same as I remember. I was hooked on that shit in the '80s. The only problem is that around here only World Market carries it and they are kinda far from me. When I'm there I stock up though.

Well, you can make the cake and ditch the frosting packet! (Tried one of these Duncan Hines "Perfect Size" cake mixes recently. Figured it would be a modified recipe from the bigger cake mix. Um, no. It's REALLY rich. Why? Maybe it has to do with almost an ENTIRE STICK of butter called for, 4 tbsp for the cake mix, 2 more for the frosting mix. Or was it the reverse? Either way, that's a LOT of butter.)

I mean, it tasted good but yeah, I could hear my arteries revolting. And take this from one who loves her junk every now and then! But...yeah. A LOT of butter for such a small cake.

Twigs crackers. (pinkey finger sized cheddar/sesame from Nabisco?)

Crab or shrimp cocktails in small glass jars with a pop off lid (lite blue for shrimp and dark blue for crab) just add Tabasco sauce and YUM!

Dinner plate sized fruit roll ups.

Rel's red hot burritos.

Non food: Wella Balsam shampoo in the yellow squirt bottle with red lettering, still crave that yummy scent!

16 hours ago, mbaywife123 said:

Non food: Wella Balsam shampoo in the yellow squirt bottle with red lettering, still crave that yummy scent!

Yes! I miss Flex Shampoo, too. Apparently, it is still made overseas but very expensive to import, and it is getting harder to find altogether. But as you pointed out...not food!  :-)

Is Certs candy/breath mints (whatever classification one prefers) still on the market? That was all over in the '70s (when I was a wee one) and '80s, then...poof.

13 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Is Certs candy/breath mints (whatever classification one prefers) still on the market? That was all over in the '70s (when I was a wee one) and '80s, then...poof.

According to a couple of sources I just checked out, yes they are. They suggest dollar stores, like Dollar Tree or Dollar General, or vending machines at Walmart. If you really like them, you can buy them in quantity online.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

I don't think the original Stir'N Frost/Snackin Cakes required butter. I think they you just needed to add water, or am I crazy?

I don't know about the Stir'N Frost but yes the Snackin' cakes only needed water. You made like a well in the center of the pan to pour the water in, stirred it up and that was it.

On 11/10/2016 at 3:10 PM, glowlights said:

I miss a cookie from my childhood and I can't even remember the name of them. They were basically sugar cookies with faces painted on them in icing, possibly from Peek Freans. Haven't seen them in decades and they are my holy grail of cookies.

In the '80s, Nabisco made Giggles cookies. (Called Happy Faces biscuits in the UK.)

2 hours ago, editorgrrl said:

In the '80s, Nabisco made Giggles cookies. (Called Happy Faces biscuits in the UK.)

Those cookies freak me out..... And since when did the wannabe cool kid hang out with the nerd?  Didn't then, still don't.

• Love 1
On 11/6/2016 at 8:13 PM, mbaywife123 said:

I've always had problem hair, and Wella was a godsend in the 60s when the ideal was a straight shiny mane. I loved it.

On 8/26/2016 at 0:19 PM, MargeGunderson said:

Nothing even comes close to these. I would trade all of the Cheetos in the world for one can of Planter's Cheez Balls.

Of ll the goodies I'd bring to the job for coworkers, none generated the pure, joyful response at the sight of Cheez Balls. (And don't try to tell me you were'nt dipping into the can - I saw your orange fingers!)

• Love 4
2 hours ago, spiderpig said:

Of ll the goodies I'd bring to the job for coworkers, none generated the pure, joyful response at the sight of Cheez Balls. (And don't try to tell me you were'nt dipping into the can - I saw your orange fingers!)

Not bad in themselves but did anyone else who ate too many at once regret seeing a bunch of orange the next day (and I'll let everyone draw their own conclusions re what I mean)? Perhaps TPTB themselves may have gotten freaked out by said orange and that could have been why it's gone/

• Love 1

These are very recently discontinued foods, but I guess they count.  I don't have a Trader Joe's close to where I live, so when I would travel I would always check to see if there was one nearby so I could buy some of my favorite cookie flavors.  I would always stock up, because what I would buy would freeze well so I could parcel them out for the next few months.  I can still buy Triple Ginger Snaps (very, very ginger-y), but two of my other favorites seem to have disappeared.  I loved the Ginger Cat Cookies ('They're for People!'), but I can do without them okay since the Triple Ginger Snaps are so good.  However, I really miss the Lemon Crinkles (Crisps?) with the drizzle of dark chocolate.  Lemon and chocolate don't seem to go together, but these were really, really good.  (Although my recent business trip led me to a TJ's that had a flavor I hadn't tried before:  Quadruple Almond Cookies.  As the name suggests, very almond-y in flavor, but tasty).

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, BooksRule said:

I would always stock up, because what I would buy would freeze well so I could parcel them out for the next few months.  I can still buy Triple Ginger Snaps (very, very ginger-y),

Good to know the Triple Ginger Snaps freeze well - I never would have thought of that!  I'm the only one in the house that eats them, but rarely buy them because I really don't eat cookies that often and ended up throwing so much away.

I go to TJs about once a week - if I see the Ginger Cats or Lemon Crinkles I'll let you know.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, DeLurker said:

Last year we picked up some bacon-wrapped scallops in the frozen hors d'oeuvres section of TJ's. We couldn't find them when we went back & employees told us they were listed as "seasonal".  Has anyone seen these lately? We're heading into the Really Big Season.

I go to TJs about once a week - if I see the Ginger Cats or Lemon Crinkles I'll let you know.

Thanks!  I have seen the chocolate cat cookies, but not the ginger cat ones.  I think the only TJ cookie that I was disappointed in were the chocolate chip cookies.  They didn't taste any better (or worse) than any other store brand CC cookie.