Type keyword(s) to search

Discontinued Foods You Miss

GreekGeek
  • Start Topic

Ooh, I liked Country French Chicken Tonight too!  I suspect it died when nutritional information labels became mandatory and we could see what we were actually putting into our bodies.  I used to love Budget Gourmet Swedish Meatballs too until that damned label let me know there was over 50 grams of fat in each bake-able cardboard box.

ETA that the Michelina's website says there are "only" 22 grams of fat in the BG SM now but I swear it used to be twice that.  I'll bet they cut the serving size and tweaked the recipe.

Edited by Qoass
  • Love 2

Big ole cans of Hi-C Cherry Juice that you opened with a church key. That was what my mother always gave me when I was sick. Nothing else comes close and I know it's been 25 years or more since I saw it. :(

I was born in 1965 so I remember so much of this stuff. Y'all are my people!!

• Love 7

Edy's Dreamery Black Raspberry Avalanche ice cream. Normally, I don't care for raspberry anything and I'm quite content with chocolate ice cream but for a while this was the only ice cream I bought until it was discontinued.

• Love 1

Great thread!  Hmmm, where to start?

Banana flips:  Cake that was in the shape of a taco with a rich banana-flavored filling.  I've done some research, and others have reported that the banana cakes they find today aren't the same.  I loved those things.

Le Menu frozen dinners: The first of the 'gourmet' frozen dinners.  They were pretty tasty and came with their own thick plastic plate for heating and eating.  Apparently, those original plates are quite the collectible now.  I had some for years, and they gradually disappeared.

Fruit cocktail candy:  They came in a little box and were the size and texture of cinnamon 'red hot' candies.  But they were multicolored and were fruit-flavored.

Original recipe Orange Crush soda:  We couldn't buy it in my part of the south when I was a kid, so when we visited relatives in North Carolina, we would buy a case to bring back.  It came in brown bottles and had real orange pulp in it.  My mom would use some (along with crushed pineapple) to make homemade pineapple orange sherbet.  The stuff you buy today isn't the same.

Ice Cube candy:  You can still find this online (very expensive) and in some stores that carry nostalgic candy.  I found some during a trip to South Carolina a couple of years ago and stocked up.  It still tasted good to me.  Creamy chocolate and still had that 'cold' taste to it.  Some others have said they can find it in some Cracker Barrel stores, but I've never seen it in any I've been to. 

• Love 1

Ben and Jerry's Coffee Heath Bar Crunch ice cream. They've replaced it with Coffee Toffee Bar Crunch, and it is just not the same. The candy pieces aren't as large, and they aren't nearly as tasty as the Heath bars. I also miss their ice cream with the bits of chocolate covered potato chips.

• Love 1

Does anybody besides me remember something called Tasti-Fries (I think that's how it was spelled)? They were a French Fry-type product made by Birds Eye back in the 60s/70s, & the fries had "raised lines" (like a dotted line) on them, on all "sides"/surfaces of the fries--I think those were supposed to have something to do with the cooking process somehow. They also used to be sold at Arby's, I think, as their French Fries product until, I guess, Birds Eye discontinued them.

I was really little when they were around, but I still remember all that about them & that I really liked them a lot.

Ice Cube candy:  You can still find this online (very expensive) and in some stores that carry nostalgic candy.  I found some during a trip to South Carolina a couple of years ago and stocked up.  It still tasted good to me.  Creamy chocolate and still had that 'cold' taste to it.  Some others have said they can find it in some Cracker Barrel stores, but I've never seen it in any I've been to.

These were my FAVORITE!   (and i remember buying them for 3 cents)

Here's the weird thing-  At one time, they were regarded as one of the unhealthiest candies because of the coconut oil, which was considered so bad for you for some reason, it was thought to raise cholesterol.  That MIGHT have had something to do with why they fell out of favor and were discontinued.   

So NOW coconut oil is considered a 'healthy" oil, because it raises the GOOD cholesterol.  So these would be healthier than a lot of candy out there. 

It was the coconut oil that gave ice Cube candies that weird cool melting sensation, because it melts at a much lower temp than other oils.  

If I see these, I buy a few.  I won't stock up, because there's no way I'd be able to resist eating them all.  

• Love 2

It was the coconut oil that gave ice Cube candies that weird cool melting sensation, because it melts at a much lower temp than other oils.

Neato!  I wondered how they got that cool taste.  They were so smooth, too! 

These were my FAVORITE! (and i remember buying them for 3 cents)

Here's the weird thing- At one time, they were regarded as one of the unhealthiest candies because of the coconut oil, which was considered so bad for you for some reason, it was thought to raise cholesterol. That MIGHT have had something to do with why they fell out of favor and were discontinued.

So NOW coconut oil is considered a 'healthy" oil, because it raises the GOOD cholesterol. So these would be healthier than a lot of candy out there.

If I see these, I buy a few. I won't stock up, because there's no way I'd be able to resist eating them all.

Of note, they are made out of partially hydrogenated coconut oil, so back in the bad for you category due to trans fats.

(edited)

Of note, they are made out of partially hydrogenated coconut oil, so back in the bad for you category due to trans fats.

I'd still buy a bagful and hoard them as long as I could, parceling them out to myself one by one to make them last.  (Maybe I could balance them with oatmeal for breakfast and green salads for dinner for a week after every one!)

Edited by BooksRule
  • Love 2

I'd still buy a bagful and hoard them as long as I could, parceling them out to myself one by one to make them last.  (Maybe I could balance them with oatmeal for breakfast and green salads for dinner for a week after every one!)

Don't get me wrong I'd buy a bag full of them in a heartbeat too, but didn't want anyone to think they were actually healthy! Everything in moderation and all that. Weirdly, although these were my absolute favorite as a child I don't remember anyone else liking them that much, either my friends or family. I thought it was just a me thing.

• Love 1

You can mix melted chocolate chips with the good kind of coconut oil and make some pretty tasty candies similar to ice cubes or mounds.

• Love 2

They're called Icy Squares in Canada, and they are available everywhere.

• Love 1

I miss original recipe Sunny Delight (now abbreviated at Sunny D, which is appropriate). Sure, it was probably more corn syrup than orange even when I grew up in the 90s, but I was pretty sure orange juice was an ingredient in there. This new crap doesn't contain any fruit juice at all and is really only good for mixing with whipped cream vodka IMO.

I miss original recipe Sunny Delight (now abbreviated at Sunny D, which is appropriate). Sure, it was probably more corn syrup than orange even when I grew up in the 90s, but I was pretty sure orange juice was an ingredient in there. This new crap doesn't contain any fruit juice at all and is really only good for mixing with whipped cream vodka IMO.

Oh, good. I'm not crazy. I used to sort of like Sunny Delight. It wasn't as good as orange juice, but it wasn't bad. I had some a couple of weeks ago, and it was awful. I thought maybe I just didn't remember it right.

• Love 1
(edited)

I miss Chicken Tonight.

I came here to post about Chicken Tonight. My mom was never much of a cook, so  I ate a lot of it, as a kid in the 90's. We liked the light-colored variety - it looked almost like a gravy. I was feeling nostalgic recently and went looking for Chicken Tonight, My mom informed me that they hadn't made it in years. The stuff was incredibly salty.

We also ate a lot of Shake n' Bake. I remember that their commercials always featured kids helping out in the kitchen. Little kid me always wanted to be in those ads. 

Edited by AltLivia
  • Love 1

There used to be an herb sauce in Lunchables that you pinched and squirted onto the crackers. SOOO good!! I haven't seen it since the 90's. I see some people asking about it online, but not many people seem to remember. It wasn't mustard or cheese. I also have to echo something mentioned in this thread, JELL-O Pudding Pops.. Hands down, the best chocolate frozen treat.

I remember that sauce! I miss those Lunchables - they were deluxe, 2 kinds of meat, 2 kinds of cheese and 2 kinds of crackers if I recall. I Googled Lunchable Deluxe and the suggested prompt was "herb sauce". Looks like it's been discontinued Always had a Lunchable with a Squeeze-It. I also miss Squeeze-Its!

Oh! MicroMagic. Forgot that! They even had burgers and fries. Decent enough. For the record, I was born in 1972, so yeah, I remember most of this stuff.

MicroMagic was "da bomb". Something I could cook myself and it tasted good (or at least I thought it was good) - born in 77.

It was talked about in this thread back in November but it looks like Clearly Canadian finally got enough orders and it's back in production and expected in August.

Sweet! Clearly Canadian and NY Seltzer were my favorites. My dad loved the Arrowhead seltzer water that had the little pump on it.

I miss Suddenly S'Mores. They were cookies you microwaved and the marshmallow puffed. I also miss Golden Rasian Biscuits. Anyone remember a shelf-stable microwavable meal? I remember a blue box and it was around in the 80s or early 90s.

I grew up going to Nova Scotia, Canada and was in love with these 4-flavored candy bars. They were kinda like a Carmaello with pockets of flavor in each little bite. I'd recognize the wrapper if I saw it (brown with gold letters) but I couldn't tell you who made it or what the flavors are. I just know the current filled candy bars aren't them. Anyone know what I am talking about? Last time I saw them was early 90s.

• Like 1

I grew up going to Nova Scotia, Canada and was in love with these 4-flavored candy bars. They were kinda like a Carmaello with pockets of flavor in each little bite. I'd recognize the wrapper if I saw it (brown with gold letters) but I couldn't tell you who made it or what the flavors are. I just know the current filled candy bars aren't them. Anyone know what I am talking about? Last time I saw them was early 90s.

In the US, they're Sky Bars (yellow wrapper with red letters): http://www.necco.com/candy/Sky-Bar.aspx

• Like 1

In the US, they're Sky Bars (yellow wrapper with red letters): http://www.necco.com/candy/Sky-Bar.aspx

My father, grandfather, and I loved these! (My grandpa used to keep a stash in his room and when I would spend time with him and my grandma, I'd often change the clocks on the VCR for them as it confounded them (this was the '80s/early '90s here, before the machines automatically did so!) and grandpa would give me one as a thank you. LOL!)

• Like 1
  • Love 1

My mom has been swearing for years it isn't Sky Bar because she says I hated peanut as a kid and would never have eaten it. But, I'm going to believe it is Sky Bar and would have shared the peanut flavor with my dad or grandpa. 

Hi Quof! I'm in/from  Southen California. Every year I wanted to go to Disneyworld but I had to go to Canada instead and eat candy I can't get here. 

Does anyone remember McSalad Shakers and when McDonald's had egg rolls? I love salad shakers.

I'm also disappointed Suze-Qs didn't come back when Hostess reappeared. Not that I had eaten one in years but the option was there!

• Love 2

So many things! Keebler O'Boise chips and I don't remember what brand Pizzeria chips. Those were the highlight of my bag lunches as a kid.

I also really loved Mauni Lai juice - passion fruit and guava I think. I still crave it!

• Love 1

So like a Sky Bar under another name then - minus the peanut, add the bordeaux.  :-)

Made by a company that doesn't make crappy American chocolate.

I remember these!  I hated the Bordeaux.

I love bodeaux (now), I may have hated it then. I'm so happy I wasn't imagining it. I clearly remember going to Toots candy (tiny candy store in the tiny town I was in) and buying these, Dairy Milk Caramel, and Rosebuds in a red box (they are now in a purple box) with my vacation allowance.

That is piquing my interest.

There's a Facebook page to bring it back. No update since last year though.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Do they still make the candy bar called the Bun? It was a cube instead of flat and had chocolate, peanuts and raisins. I really used to like them even though I don't care for raisins for the most part.

That sounds like what I know as a Chunky.

wd1cvIf.jpg?1

• Love 2

Bun Bars have peanuts, but no raisins: http://pearsonscandy.com/candy/bun-bar

Made with real milk chocolate, a Pearson’s Bun Bar stands as one of the great, original cluster bars! Unless you lay it on it’s side… but orientation is terribly hard to decipher with a cluster bar.

According to Wikipedia, Pearson's bought it from Mars in 1998 "partially due to the similarities in manufacturing the Bun and their own Nut Goodie." https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bun_Bars

It's not mentioned in any of the linked articles, but the original Bun bar was made in my hometown, at a company called Wayne Candies (so was the old Reggie! bar, named for baseball star Reggie Jackson, for a time)--which was eventually sold. Then the company it was sold to was sold again &--after I don't know how many company sales--Bun bars are apparently now being made by Pearson.

Here's a link to a post on a locally-based blog which mentions the Bun bar's local connection.

http://indiana.typepad.com/fwob/2006/03/bun_bars_get_re.html

• Love 2

Here's a link to a post on a locally-based blog which mentions the Bun bar's local connection.

http://indiana.typepad.com/fwob/2006/03/bun_bars_get_re.html

Well, that doesn't make Bun Bars sound appetizing at all:

I’ve ignored these bars for years. Well, they’re not really bars, they’re lumps. Maybe that’s why I avoided them, they’re just plops, like something you’d make at home.

I've only ever heard "plops" used in one connotation.

Was watching Soap Season 1 - just found the dvd in a sale bin at the local music/movie/bookstore - and Bert was making pancakes from the ready made carton that he pulled out of the fridge!  Completely forgot about that stuff!

I can't remember who made the stuff, but it came in a container that looked like a milk carton.  It made only the rarest appearance in our house, but I loved the whole concept so it was a thrill.

Was watching Soap Season 1 - just found the dvd in a sale bin at the local music/movie/bookstore - and Bert was making pancakes from the ready made carton that he pulled out of the fridge! Completely forgot about that stuff!

I can't remember who made the stuff, but it came in a container that looked like a milk carton. It made only the rarest appearance in our house, but I loved the whole concept so it was a thrill.

I'm pretty sure Aunt Jemima made it, at least the kind in the small milk carton; but I think there was also more than 1 brand, & more than 1 brand may have also come in the small milk carton-type containers. I'm pretty sure whichever brands made it like that made it in at least buttermilk & blueberry flavors.

Don't they make it like that--ready-made batter in the milk cartons--anymore? I thought for sure they still did.

• Love 1
(edited)

I miss KFC's honey BBQ chicken.  I don't mean just the wings, but actual whole pieces of honey BBQ chicken.  Definitely far from healthy, but still very good.  There is one place in my state that still serves it on weekends on their buffet (Another KFC relic lost in time.).

Sort of, but they were really thin squares, maybe a slight curve to them, and darkly covered with cinnamon and sugar.....it's driving me crazy & my mom is too old to recall any more.

I never heard of the brand, but these sort of look like what you're describing.

http://www.bigoven.com/recipe/sand-tarts-real-old-german-style/48822

http://spinachtiger.com/pennsylvania-dutch-sand-tarts-an-amish-christmas-cookie-with-video/

http://www.nothinginthehouse.com/2015/01/sandy-spring-sand-tarts.html

Edited by InDueTime
  • Love 1