Type keyword(s) to search

Discontinued Foods You Miss

GreekGeek
  • Start Topic

When I was a kid I loved Original New York Seltzer root beer ( it was clear!) but they discontinued it years ago. Shopping at my corner store yesterday I discovered that they had relaunched it a few years ago! It made me so happy. 

• Love 2

Saute Express by Land o Lakes.  They were these seasoned buttered cubes. You just popped them in a hot pan and included all of the seasoning you needed for your protein or veggies.  They made for super quick dinners and came in a couple of flavors. 

They were discontinued I don't know how many years ago.  Le sigh.

7 hours ago, Drogo said:

Ecto-cooler-can.jpg

As a young GB fan, there was nothing better than a bowl full of green beverage. 

Never had that flavor, but now, seeing this, I am reminded of how much I miss Peach Hi-C and Fruit Punch Hi-C! My grandmother used to buy it for us grandkids.

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, smittykins said:

Heinz Dip & Squeeze ketchup packets, at least in grocery stores(they’re still available for the food-service industry, but I’m not paying Amazon or restaurant-supply prices.  I love ketchup, but not THAT much).

I had no idea these things existed. For some reason I hate ketchup in packets no matter what the beans it tastes different to me.

On 8/23/2019 at 2:05 PM, chessiegal said:

I've got one of the dip and squeeze packets in a basket in my kitchen. I must have gotten somewhere buying  a meal in a casual restaurant but I can't remember where.

Wendy's had them at one time. I can't remember when I last saw them at any Wendy's in my area though which now have ketchup packets with their own name on them instead of a brand.

On 7/15/2019 at 2:08 PM, biakbiak said:

When I was a kid I loved Original New York Seltzer root beer ( it was clear!) but they discontinued it years ago. Shopping at my corner store yesterday I discovered that they had relaunched it a few years ago! It made me so happy. 

Black Cherry, Root Beer and Peach were my favorites. I can't find the root beer one anymore but my Kroger has decided to stock the black cherry, peach and raspberry flavors. Used to be you could only get them at World Market around here but they've gone way down on the flavors offered there too. No more root beer or cola & berries which I really loved this time around and don't remember drinking that one much in the 80s.

My SO is currently in mourning over the loss of the Maple Brown Sugar Frosted Mini Wheats.   Everyday its a rant about how they kept stupid blueberry and got rid of the one he loved.  (they were good)

On 9/5/2019 at 9:25 PM, midge said:

My SO is currently in mourning over the loss of the Maple Brown Sugar Frosted Mini Wheats.   Everyday its a rant about how they kept stupid blueberry and got rid of the one he loved.  (they were good)

Do you think he would accept these instead?

On 9/5/2019 at 8:25 PM, midge said:

Yes! I won't even eat the plain frosted ones anymore which were the only other kind I liked in protest of this travesty. 

Lea & Perrins BBQ Sauce.  It was so good.  Lots of spice, a little bit of heat, and a little bit of sweetness.  I've really found nothing else like it on shelves since it disappeared.  I currently use Jack Daniel's Original No. 7, but it's still not as good as Lea's, or at least what I remember of Lea's. I swear I last had it twenty years ago.  

To a lesser extent, I wish Soy Vay still sold their Chinese Chicken Salad Dressing. That stuff was almost perfect.  A little sharp - I couldn't use too much on my salad or else it would be overwhelming, but honestly, that dressing was beautifully done. 

OLD TOWN STORE    (read to the tune of Old Town Road)

Gonna take my purse to the Old Town Store. I'm gonna buy... 'til they sell it no more.

They've discontinued stuff that I used to love, I'm gonna buy... 'til they sell it no more.

Got my purse on my back. Coupons are all stacked

Apple pay on my phone... no, the biscuits are all gone.

Up and down the aisles, I can't find my styles... and I've been there a while.

Where is Uncle Ben's? Where are those Wheat Thins? The tea in pretty tins? What aisle are Cheez Balls in? 

Can't nobody find me nothin'? Find Pepperidge Farm stuffin'?

Can't nobody find me nothin'? Poppy-seed muffins? 

Lookin' for the Dream Whip, can't find the Cool Whip, the Strawberry flavored Quik, the Knorr's Veggie Dip.

They're hidin' Breakfast Bars, the Nestle's and the Mars, I'm runnin' out of steam, Reese's Pieces in those jars?

Gonna take my purse to the Old Town Store, Gonna buy... 'til they sell it no more.

Gonna get that cart with the lop-sided wheel, and buy... 'til they sell it no more. 

Hamburger Helper Romanoff? The box of Stroganoff? Cheeseburger Macaroni? The store brand is so phony. 

The Jell-O 1-2-3... tasted good to me, Where could the Bundt Cake be? Charleston Chews are history-y-y.

Gonna drive my car to the new box store, cuz they got... a heckalot more.

Gonna drive my car to the new box store, and buy... 'til they sell it no more.

Edited by TexasTiffany
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3
On 7/15/2019 at 12:04 AM, Rescue Mama said:

I miss the Stir and Frost cakes. They came with a square pan and you mixed everything in the pan. They were so good, they're the first thing I ever "baked" by myself.  The chocolate on chocolate was my favorite. 

Have you tried Duncan Hines little cake mixes? Some stores have cut back on offering all of the different varieties. The chocolate cake is delicious. 

I'm still wishing that I could find the whole wheat tortillas I used to love, but it was 1994 and a year or two after that. I can't afford to buy several and try them out, just to end up not liking them, so I go with my usual white flour tortillas. The whole wheat ones I loved, tasted cheesy when eaten with refried beans and hot sauce.

Edited by Anela
On 8/26/2016 at 11:20 AM, NewDigs said:

I remember those! But I'm remembering the round slices having a green christmas tree design in the center. It was like magic, to a kid.

I miss:

image.jpg

They were especially good tossed into chili. Mmmm. They had more substance to them than Cheetos but still turned fingertips orange. 

They have them at Amazon. They're not discontinued.

On 9/28/2019 at 10:46 PM, TexasTiffany said:

OLD TOWN STORE    (read to the tune of Old Town Road)

Gonna take my purse to the Old Town Store. I'm gonna buy... 'til they sell it no more.

They've discontinued stuff that I used to love, I'm gonna buy... 'til they sell it no more.

Got my purse on my back. Coupons are all stacked

Apple pay on my phone... no, the biscuits are all gone.

Up and down the aisles, I can't find my styles... and I've been there a while.

Where is Uncle Ben's? Where are those Wheat Thins? The tea in pretty tins? What aisle are Cheez Balls in? 

Can't nobody find me nothin'? Find Pepperidge Farm stuffin'?

Can't nobody find me nothin'? Poppy-seed muffins? 

Lookin' for the Dream Whip, can't find the Cool Whip, the Strawberry flavored Quik, the Knorr's Veggie Dip.

They're hidin' Breakfast Bars, the Nestle's and the Mars, I'm runnin' out of steam, Reese's Pieces in those jars?

Gonna take my purse to the Old Town Store, Gonna buy... 'til they sell it no more.

Gonna get that cart with the lop-sided wheel, and buy... 'til they sell it no more. 

Hamburger Helper Romanoff? The box of Stroganoff? Cheeseburger Macaroni? The store brand is so phony. 

The Jell-O 1-2-3... tasted good to me, Where could the Bundt Cake be? Charleston Chews are history-y-y.

Gonna drive my car to the new box store, cuz they got... a heckalot more.

Gonna drive my car to the new box store, and buy... 'til they sell it no more.

I think you oughta drive on over to Nashville and get to work writin' some good ol' country songs cause you've got the creativity and the knack, girl.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Anyone remember the Philadelphia cheesecake bars from the '90s or the Toll House candy bars from roughly the same time? They were so good! Sigh.

I remember liking those too. Here's an old commercial I found while I was searching for the time frame they were out.  I remembered them being around in the early 2000's too so I wanted to make sure I was remembering right.

• Love 2

Remember “Elsie Stix”(ice cream bars with plastic sticks that interlocked and you could make things with)?  My mom’s name is Elsie, so when I asked for one as a snack in kindergarten, my teacher would say “You want a ‘Mommy Stix’?”

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

It's not discontinued, per se, but I miss when Pantene Pro-V Shampoo had its ORIGINAL scent. It was almost sort of...I don't know, powdery/clean? I was sad when the scent was changed.

I also miss the original Dove Nutrium Body Wash, the body wash that had pink on one side, white on the other. I guess the pink was marketed as the "lotion" to the white "cleanser". I liked the scent of that, too. Sigh.

I miss the Jello chocolate tapioca pudding mix. It came in a little square box like their other pudding mixes. You stirred in milk and cooked it until it was pudding consistency.  You can still buy the regular chocolate, vanilla etc. pudding mixes but not the chocolate tapioca. I haven't seen it in years and years.

On 2/1/2020 at 3:55 PM, smittykins said:

Remember “Elsie Stix”(ice cream bars with plastic sticks that interlocked and you could make things with)?  My mom’s name is Elsie, so when I asked for one as a snack in kindergarten, my teacher would say “You want a ‘Mommy Stix’?”

I still have a whole bunch of those in a shoebox (along with other small items I don't really need but can't bear to get rid of). There are orange ones, blue, yellow, and other colors. Thanks for reminding me about them and also the name. I couldn't remember the brand name. 

• Love 1

I miss Post Fortified Oat Flakes the most. I loved those since I was a kid. I've tried every oat flake cereal since they've been discontinued and nothing has ever come close to tasting as good as they did. 

Years ago, Campbell's made a Cream of Vegetable soup.  The veggies were green beans and carrots, maybe some onion.  Mom used it to make a version of sloppy joes.  I tried it with other cream soups when I couldn't find the veggie anymore, but it's just not the same.  When I have to have a sloppy joe, I use chicken gumbo soup.  Sounds weird but its' quite good.

On 2/15/2020 at 5:37 PM, annzeepark914 said:

Waaaaa...I went up to 25 miles and no stores in this area sell Creamsicles.

NOOO! I hope you don't live in Southern California because I love Creamsicles!

Here's something else that hasn't been around for decades: Dannon Tropical Yogurt. It was a flavor in their yogurt line of products. 

And way back in the 1980's, Frusen Gladje ice cream. It was a top contender with Haagen Dazs.

22 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

Frusen Gladje ice cream

My family are the only people we know that even remember this stuff. My parent's and brother and I even recall the commercial. It's been a while but sometimes, when we got together at my parent's house, and we'd be eating ice cream someone would say: "I ate all the Frusen Gladje and I'd do it again."

• Love 4

I thought I saw, once upon a time, on a PBS (of all networks) special about ice cream (The Great Ice Cream Show, I think it’s called—it’s a pretty old special, but gets rebroadcast every now & then) that Frusen Glädjè & Häagen-Dazs were invented by either the same guy or people in the same family.

18 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

I thought I saw, once upon a time, on a PBS (of all networks) special about ice cream (The Great Ice Cream Show, I think it’s called—it’s a pretty old special, but gets rebroadcast every now & then) that Frusen Glädjè & Häagen-Dazs were invented by either the same guy or people in the same family.

I don't think that's true. But I do recall Frusen Gladje was American company with a fake Swedish name and Haagen-Dazs is American company with a fake Danish name and they competed against each other in the premium ice cream "wars" and H-D sued them because of their fake name and lost.

• LOL 1

Royal Lunch Milk Crackers.

Several years ago, on a whim, I was looking for them, but couldn't find them anywhere. I was very disappointed when a Google search told me that they'd be discontinued.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, forumfish said:

I found Planters Cheez Balls -- nacho cheese flavor -- at Dollar Tree the other day -- woo hoo! Of course I thought of y'all.

They're at Big Lots, too!

I was talking to my sister today about bread sticks and she said she wished they came in a box instead of a flimsy cellophane wrapper. I said they did = Pepperidge Farm Sesame Snack Sticks

00014100078036-hEVifSyU8GfIQ-0_s500.jpg

I tried to find them for her and found out they discontinued this line of bread sticks

• Love 1