Type keyword(s) to search

Discontinued Foods You Miss

GreekGeek
  • Start Topic

This may overlap somewhat with the Childhood Favorites thread, but I'll chance it. What foods that aren't made anymore do you miss most?

A lot of mine are frozen dinners, or "TV dinners," as they were called in the old days. Swanson's fried chicken and Salisbury steak were good. They also made a sort of Chinese dinner for awhile, where the "main dish" was sweet and sour chicken. Howard Johnson's had frozen meals for awhile, most notably shrimp croquettes with Newburg sauce and chicken croquettes with chicken gravy. I'd eat the chicken croquettes with the sauce but not the shrimp.

I was sad when Stouffer's stopped making their wonderful Noodles Romanoff.

Birdseye made some nice international frozen vegetables with cubes of sauce. There were Japanese-style mixed vegetables and Bavarian-style green beans and Spaetzele. 

Chef Boy-ar-dee still has pizza kits, but has anyone bought their whole ready-made frozen pizzas lately? I haven't seen any in ages.

I miss Baskin Robbins English Toffee. A couple of years ago they brought out a limited edition ice cream with a ribbon of what seemed like liquid Red Hots. It was terrific and I wish they'd bring it back.

Jell-o Pudding Pops. 'Nuff said.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

I was sad when Stouffer's stopped making their wonderful Noodles Romanoff.

For me, it was Pasta Roni's noodles Romanoff.  A wonderful box of chemicals.

In the same "Yes, I should just make it myself and normally do, but I happen to like this little packet from time to time" vein, I loved the tartar sauce mix that came with Van de Kamp's frozen fish.

Snapple's peach lemonade - it tasted like a Fuzzy Navel.

Monterey Jack flavored Doritos

Vienna beef hot dogs - they're still available at local hot dog stands, but not in local stores to make at home.

• Love 1

Real brand Peanut Butter, especially the crunchy variety. It came in a plastic tub in the dairy case and was the ideal of all peanut butters - smooth, creamy, not sweet. I don't know when it was discontinued - probably at least 10 or 15 years ago.

Freakin' Corn-Quistos!!! Bring 'em back already, for cryin' out loud!

Loved 'em. Especially the ones with bean dip inside and coated with taco seasoning. The ones with nacho cheese on the inside were great too.

I mean, Combos are still around and apparently sell well. It boggles the mind that they would deliberately deprive the world of the vastly superior Corn-Quistos. Hell, they could make 'em with the same machines. But noooooo. Buncha jerks, I tells ya!

Ditto. Although I've found Skinny Cow frozen Fudge Bars taste almost exactly like them and have the little bit of icy crust, too.

Yep.  Those things are delicious. 

I miss Planter's Cheez Balls.  No other Cheez Ball comes close to the goodness that was in that blue can.  I used to buy the larger container and inhale it. 

• Love 9

If you're looking for something that may or may not be discontinued, check out Hometown Favorites. I think the basic premise of the site was so that people who have moved away from where they were raised could still buy some of their favorite foods, so they're actually a kind of a hard to find place. I can't remember what it was I bought from them, but I remember being so happy to finally finding someplace that still sold it. They also have a list of items that they've confirmed are discontinued, so if you're not sure if something is still made or not, they can check it out for you.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

GaT, that website reminded me of my favorite candy bar when I was a kid that I haven't been able to find since the late 80s:  Marathon Bars.  Braided caramel dipped in chocolate.  I loved them. 

I miss the Swanson fried chicken tv dinners, too.  We used to eat them at my grandparents house whenever we went to visit.  I also remember a frozen meal that I used to make for lunch and I can't remember the name or brand, but it was a package of thin beef and gravy that you put into a pot of boiling water.  When it was cooked through, you poured it over a slice of bread (regular or toasted).  They were delicious.

• Like 1
GaT, that website reminded me of my favorite candy bar when I was a kid that I haven't been able to find since the late 80s:  Marathon Bars.  Braided caramel dipped in chocolate.  I loved them.

Oh, me too. I remember the bright orange wrapper with a ruler at the top, measuring the length.

But the UK still has it! The name is something like Curly Wurly, and Amazon sells it.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Ditto. Although I've found Skinny Cow frozen Fudge Bars taste almost exactly like them and have the little bit of icy crust, too.

Good to know! Man I had forgotten Jello Pudding Pops. And Bill Cosby with the ads. Especially when I was young, chocolate based items were my favorite dessert, the exception being Pudding Pops. I preferred the vanilla first, swirl second, chocolate last.

Remember when Bill Cosby did the pudding commercials? He'd eat out of a glass stemmed dessert dish. My heart longed for one of those. I also desperately wanted the OJ glasses with oranges the Keaton's used on Family Ties.

I also wanted to touch Herbert and Lulu's wings on Pinwheel so maybe I was an odd tyke.

Edited by KnoxForPres
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

Oh, I remember those turkey things.  They came in beef too.  They were great for quick meals.

I remember the fried chicken frozen dinner (they still have them, but with different sides) that had the creamed spinach, macaroni and cheese and a vanilla pudding for dessert.  They were the best.

For me, it was Pasta Roni's noodles Romanoff.  A wonderful box of chemicals.

Vienna beef hot dogs - they're still available at local hot dog stands, but not in local stores to make at home.

OH MY GOD (this deserves full spelling out), Pasta Roni's noodles Romanoff. The nectar of the Gods when I was a child.

I can still buy Vienna beef hot dogs in my local grocery store, so they are definitely available somewhere online I'm guessing.

I'm turning 30 this year and remember for my 4th birthday my parents gave me a Mickey Mouse bday party and we had these delicious Mickey Mouse Ice cream bars! My youngest just turned two and we went with a Mickey Mouse theme; evidently those bars have been discontinued! You can only purchase them at the theme parks now.

GaT, that website reminded me of my favorite candy bar when I was a kid that I haven't been able to find since the late 80s: Marathon Bars. Braided caramel dipped in chocolate. I loved them.

I miss the Swanson fried chicken tv dinners, too. We used to eat them at my grandparents house whenever we went to visit. I also remember a frozen meal that I used to make for lunch and I can't remember the name or brand, but it was a package of thin beef and gravy that you put into a pot of boiling water. When it was cooked through, you poured it over a slice of bread (regular or toasted). They were delicious.

Shannon, you read my mind!

The first thing I was going to say when I read the title was "marathon bars". I used to save my money & buy them at the 5 & dime.

My mom & I were recently talking about those frozen sealed meat & sauce, & you boiled the packet & poured it over bread pr toast. I have no idea who made them or what they were called, but I loved them!

I only have to add Oscar Meyer liver sausage. It might not be discontinued, but I can't buy it anywhere near me.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

My sister gets more nostalgic about candy. One year she got me those teeny ice cream comes that had the fake marshmallowy "ice cream", & the wafers shaped like flying saucers that had the little candy beads inside.

She recently took my boys candy shopping & got them Razzles, candy buttons, & the little wax bottles with juice inside.

• Like 1

Hi-C fruit punch used to come in large cans that you had to use a pointy- ended can opener on. It tasted nothing like the fruit punch now. I can still remember the taste of it, & it takes me back to the 1960's.

Franco- Anerican max & cheese in a can, which my sister used to call "farts & cheese" because it stunk when you heated it.

Dh remembers McDonald's arctic orange shakes (I am a shamrock shake fan myself, still have my Uncle O'Grimacy ring), and dh remembers there was a commercial sung in Eskimo language about the shakes. I cannot find this commercial anywhere online, so I have to assume he's singing the jingle correctly?

Striped Chips Ahoy, they've been discontinued for years and I still don't understand why they would keep us from such a delicious treat.

Chocolate covered PayDay.

Clearly Canadian.  There's an effort going on to bring it back... https://www.clearlycanadian.com

Jack In The Box had a sandwich called "Hot Ham and Cheese" I would pay big bucks to be able to have one again.

Edited by iPad
  • Love 2

Striped Chips Ahoy, they've been discontinued for years and I still don't understand why they would keep us from such a delicious treat.

Chocolate covered PayDay.

Clearly Canadian.  There's an effort going on to bring it back... https://www.clearlycanadian.com

Jack In The Box had a sandwich called "Hot Ham and Cheese" I would pay big bucks to be able to have one again.

Oooh, I LOVED Clearly Canadian in college. You know, back when grunge was cool. Never understood why it went extinct, so thanks for that link, iPad!

• Love 1

Vienetta Ice Cream. Yum. First they stopped offering them year round and only available during Christmas and then they discontinued it all together.

Chunky's chicken noodle with mushroom soup. So much better than their regular chicken noodle which is all that's available now.

Stouffer's frozen dinners that come in plastic pouches (Swedish meatballs!) and you have to boil in water. The food just doesn't taste as good from the microwave.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

@Rick Kitchen:  I thought I saw Necco Wafers in the latest Vermont Country Store catalog (along with Walnettoes, Bonnamo's Turkish Taffy, and other candies & chewing gums from back in the day).

Glad to see I'm not the only one missing Swanson's Fried Chicken TV Dinners (do they no longer make them?)  As a kid, that was the only way I got fried chicken (there were no KFC's where I grew up in NY).  And Good Humor's toasted almond ice cream bars (even better, the white coconut ice cream bars--my all time favorite). Even Hagen Daz has let me down.  Several years ago they offered pints of coconut ice cream. That was the one & only time I eventually grabbed the container (after several trips for one more spoonful), sat down on the couch & ate the entire pint (saw people do this in the movies & on TV, but I never had the desire before or since).  HD stopped selling coconut ice cream shortly after that.

• Like 1

They make Swanson chicken dinners! Hungry man too! I still eat them particularly on Wednesday when the newspaper I work for has gone to press. Add a glass of scotch... Hey I'm an adult now... And it is a perfect decompressor.

Sara Lee chocolate dessert cake. It was frozen, like the pound cake, one layer. I you didn't let it defrost properly you could peel the frosting off. It was dark, rich, buttery, almost a chocolate pound cake. YUM! YUM!

I've even emailed Sara Lee a few times to bring it back. Sob.

Prolific oven in California makes a chocolate on chocolate cake that tastes like it. I had one shipped to me in Nm for my recent milestone birthday.

Eta: roller coasters. They were kind of like spaghetti so but different, wavy noodles. Tasted best burned.

Eta: (boy you can tell I'm sick in bed today) I think they were called merry go rounds? Like pop tarts but a kind of treble clef. The strawberry actually tasted like strawberry.

Edited by lucindabelle
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Even Hagen Daz has let me down.  Several years ago they offered pints of coconut ice cream. That was the one & only time I eventually grabbed the container (after several trips for one more spoonful), sat down on the couch & ate the entire pint (saw people do this in the movies & on TV, but I never had the desire before or since).  HD stopped selling coconut ice cream shortly after that.

I know it's not quite the same, but if you also like pineapple, Häagen-Dazs makes a Pineapple Coconut ice cream. 

• Love 1

When I was going to Berkeley, back in the Dark Ages, there was a KFC sandwiches restaurant.  They served ham sandwiches, and roast beef sandwiches, the meat tasted like it had been freshly carved off the bone.  The rolls were soft, fluffy and covered in sesame seeds.  They were so good.

• Like 1
I think they were called merry go rounds?

Do you mean Danish go rounds? I still remember their jingle: "A new kind of pastry, frosted and tasty, new Kellogg's Danish go rounds."

Thought of another one - Entenmann's blackout cake. Best store bought chocolate cake ever.

I don't remember it from Entenmann's, but there was a Brooklyn company named Ebinger's that made the original blackout cake. The good news is that there are recipes for it online, so you can make your own. It's kind of labor intensive and messy to make, though.

• Love 1

Frusen Glädjé - loved this stuff.

Reese's Cookie Cups

I forgot about Reese's Cookie Cups. YES! Bring them back! I miss the Crunchy Peanut Butter Cups that Reese's once made, too. And there was an "inside out" peanut butter cup they made a few years ago - limited edition, naturally - that had the peanut butter on the outside and the chocolate inside. It was also good!

All of these should make a comeback.

Another favorite, Marathon bars, was mentioned (with it being made in the UK under another name), but does anyone remember Choc-O-Lite from the 1970s? I was a little kid but still recall the brown wrapper with, I think, yellow lettering. It was kind of like the current Hershey's Air Delight but tasted so much better.

And, finally, anyone recall Morton's frozen donuts, also in a brown box? Loved their glazed donuts as a kid!

I remember Marathon bars, and Marathon John in their commercials was played by Patrick Wayne, son of The Duke.  Think I remember the Choc-O-Lite bars, never got their appeal (I want chocolate, not air bubbles).   I cashiered at a drug store during high school, so got to know about most candy bars, gums, and cigarettes on the market at the time, and watched a number of them come and go.  (Teaberry or Black Jack gum, anyone?)

And I have no idea why, because I didn't eat them, but I do recall Morton's frozen Honey Buns.  Maybe my brother ate them.

Edited by harrie
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Anybody remember the fries that KFC used to sell back in the 70's? They were crinkle fries and were crisp on the outside and melt-in-your-mouth on the inside. The seasoning was the same as used on the chicken. My friend and I used to go several afternoons a week after high school and get snack boxes of chicken thighs and fries, No wonder I gained weight in high school! KFC also had those "Little Bucket" parfait desserts. I liked the strawberry shortcake one the best.

I also miss Apple Beer (non-alcoholic.)

Did Swanson discontinue it's beef pot pies? I haven't seen them in local stores for ages. I liked those for comfort food -- even now!

I don't think this is discontinued, it's just nearly impossible to find in its original form: Spumoni. Oh sure, they sell the bastardized version with strawberry, chocolate and vanilla, but the original pistachio, cherry and chocolate is pretty rare these days. It's a pity, because the chocolate, strawberry, vanilla version is like the Wonder White Bread of actual spumoni.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

I don't think this is discontinued, it's just nearly impossible to find in its original form: Spumoni. Oh sure, they sell the bastardized version with strawberry, chocolate and vanilla, but the original pistachio, cherry and chocolate is pretty rare these days. It's a pity, because the chocolate, strawberry, vanilla version is like the Wonder White Bread of actual spumoni.

There's a pizza place in Brooklyn that still sells the original Spumoni. 

Edited by ikmccall
  • Love 2

Edy's/Dryer's  makes a spumoni ice cream that is chocolate, pistachio, and cherry.  I can't speak to how good it is, because I'm sadly allergic to pistachios (boo), but my parents love it.

• Love 1

I don't remember the brand, maybe Aunt Jemima?, but frozen corn sticks. They were sort of like corn muffins in taste, but they were frozen in a long oval shape that allowed you to "bake" them in the regular pop up toaster. Slather on the butter.....OMG yum. This is something I would definitely buy today if they still made them.

• Love 1

As an aside, I broke down and ordered the 6-pack of Curly Wurly (née Marathon) bars at Amazon. So it means extra walking/exercise, but I have not had this since I was a little kid in the '70s and nostalgia is a strong, strong lure. I remember the taste well, so it'll be something to see how these compare...

• Love 1

Ditto. Although I've found Skinny Cow frozen Fudge Bars taste almost exactly like [Jello Pudding Pops] and have the little bit of icy crust, too.

I just tried them and they were nothing like Jello Pudding Pops. Twice the size, with an almost fluffy consistency, and fortified with 3g fiber (insulin)—all for 110 calories. Most important of all, they are delicious!

I do portion control, not "diet food." (I love Trader Joe's teeny ice cream cones, and Blue Bunny mini cones.) So I never, ever would've tried them without your recommendation. Thank you!

Absolutely portion control! Unless you have like 50 pounds to lose and a cookie addiction I just cannot see the point to nonfat Oreos.

The pop tart thing I couldn't think of were called merry go rounds. For some reason I woke up knowing that. Only. Came in straw berry and chocolate but favors more tart and rich than pop tarts.

Why is it that the low budget imitations that don't last are often better? (Similarly Dawn dolls over Barbie)

When I was in high school Jack in the Box sold the best nachos. The cheese was perfect, not too bland but not too spicy. The bowl of chips would start out crunchy and by the end everything would be awesomely soggy with the cheese. Nachos seem to be a pretty widely popular snack, I often wonder why they’ve never brought them back.

Why is it that the low budget imitations that don't last are often better?

Well, I can think of one major exception to the knockoff being better but not lasting: Oreos! Apparently, Hydrox was first, and Oreo came along 4 years later. But Oreo became the signature cookie while Hydrox was seen as the knockoff. (Hydrox stopped production in the mid '90s, but I read there is new management and it is supposed to be making a comeback soon. I have had both Oreos and Hydrox, and while I do prefer Oreos, Hydrox's cookie seems to have a bit more chocolate taste to it.)

• Love 2
But Oreo became the signature cookie while Hydrox was seen as the knockoff. (Hydrox stopped production in the mid '90s, but I read there is new management and it is supposed to be making a comeback soon. I have had both Oreos and Hydrox, and while I do prefer Oreos, Hydrox's cookie seems to have a bit more chocolate taste to it.)

I LOVED the Hydrox chocolate on one side vanilla cookie on the other side sandwiches. Those were delicious. 

As far as knockoffs being better, foodwise, I often find that's the case with store brands. The summer after I graduated from high school, I had a job in retail, and every morning before work, I ate a bowl of Market Basket chocolate ice cream (hey, I was 18, 5'2" and weighed 95 pounds). We were friends with the store manager, who told us that Borden made the ice cream for Market Basket. Since then, I've found that lots of store brands are manufactured by the "big boys."

Cabot cheese, one of my FAVORITE cheeses from Vermont is the is the "Private Selection" brand for Kroger and Fred Meyer. (Which according to Wikipedia is their "gourmet" store brand.)

I know it is wrong. They are super hard to find. But I still LOVE candy cigarettes. (Apparently Amazon, the purveyor of all things delicious has them, who knew?)

• Like 1
  • Love 1

That website has Canada Mints.  I loved those when I was a kid.  I can still buy them, but the texture is different now--they used to be just a bit softer.  I don't want to say chalky because that sounds gross, but it's closest I can get to describe it. 

Guess what I saw the other day?  A Watchamacallit bar!  I didn't know they still made those! 

• Like 1

I still see watchamacallits from time to time. That used to be my lunch back in high school. That and a melon Gatorade.

If I tried that today I think I'd starve to death though!

In the vein of discontinued foods, I had two products recently that on a whim was in need of. Peppermint Jello Pudding. I was going to make some yummy looking cookies I saw on Pinterest for Christmas past, looked all around and then checked their Facebook page where lo and behold others were looking for it too! Discontinued!

Second item was for my youngest sons 2nd birthday party (Mickey Mouse themed) a few months ago. I remember when I was a kid (turning 30 next week!) having the most delicious Mickey Mouse (shaped and colored to look just like him) ice cream bars. Thought that would be perfect! Evidently they weren't exactly discontinued but the only place you can get them is at a Disney theme park. Bummer!

Edited by Mountainair

I miss the plain solid block of Chunky chocolate. All they have now is the fruit and nuts and I don't like those.

Also the plain Nestle's chocolate that came in the red wrapper.

I don't think Ice Cube chocolates are discontinued but darned if I can find them in any stores.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

In the vein of discontinued foods, I had two products recently that on a whim was in need of. Peppermint Jello Pudding. I was going to make some yummy looking cookies I saw on Pinterest for Christmas past, looked all around and then checked their Facebook page where lo and behold others were looking for it too! Discontinued!

I don't think I've ever seen this kind of pudding. Was it chocolate pudding flavored with peppermint, or was peppermint the only flavoring?