Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E11: Beholder

Fausto Galvan, he's the anti-Tony Montana. He really couldn't care less about appearances. All he cares about is winning.

That bit in the beginning with his henchman filming the proof of life was hilarious.

Edited by AimingforYoko
  • Love 2

The only thing I liked in this episode was Eva and Linder. Eva shaving Linder and their attempt to make love was beautifully acted and filmed. Eva is right that they should stop looking for revenge and just go away somewhere together. If they don't walk away now, one or both of them will likely end up dead or in a Mexican prison.

Fausto and his stooge filming video with Romina was filled with black humor. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 3

Fausto was made of win this episode. First the production glitches with his Romina video and the artistic fussiness of his right-hand man in general. Then his crashing the quincanera and handing over a roll of drug money to the girl. I'm sure next week we'll see the not so charming/amusing Fausto.

When Eva was shaving off Linder's beard, I was thinking "You are in for one pleasant surprise, girl."

This was more of a placeholder episode but the next one looks to be pretty intense. I can't believe Frye and Adriana can't figure out why the CIA doesn't want the money flow disrupted. Sorry also that the story has made Adriana break up with Lucy.

Edited by Cardie
  • Love 4

The DVR quit recording at the point where Marco is approaching Fausto's hideout and the kid on the bike is being harassed.  So I didn't miss anything major in the last few minutes?  Everyone's still alive?  No big revelations?

I have tried not to let it bother me, but the whole Eleanor/DEA/CIA story is so unbelievable. Eleanor murdered a child and stuffed his body in container. This would be front page news in the local media with the citizens demanding that the police catch his murderer. Under no circumstances would El Paso police allow the Justice Department to take custody of Eleanor and the Justice Department would never make that demand because of the bad publicity that would follow. And how on earth does the CIA get the authority to take custody of Eleanor? Eleanor telling Sonya that she was Mexican citizen and that she had no authority to question her was so ridiculous that I had to shake my head. Who comes up this rubbish?

• Love 1

Both of the cops Marco came with were shot and killed.

The kid ran off.

What kind of ham-handed secret operation was that?

Eva and Linder was so steamy and then so heartbreaking. I'm sure he's going to get himself killed now.

SimoneS, we only hear the press outcry about things that the authorities don't keep hidden. I'm not a tinfoil hat paranoid but don't find it impossible to believe that the Federal government can cover up stuff it deems in the national interest to do so.  Even if the case of the murdered kid was front-page news, the capture of his killer can certainly be hushed up. Newspapers can be coerced on "national security" grounds not to print certain information, etc. Eventually there's a whistleblower or leaker who breaks through but we've seen many schemes go on for years before the public finds out. Just look at all the lies the NSA has been telling us.

• Love 3

So, it seems like hostage videos aren't as easy to shoot as they look, huh?  Takes a while to set-up, forgetting props, etc.  It's hard out there for Fausto!  He's certainly got into Sebastian's head now.  I guess him crashing the quincanera was him wanting some kind of normalcy, even for a brief moment, and throwing caution to the wind.  Of course, it wasn't really normal, since he paid the family for it, but that goes with the territory.  I wouldn't be surprised if this is the last season for Fausto, but he's become an interesting antagonist.

RIP, Linder's beard!  And, since it finally got Eva to make-out with him, it was totally worth the sacrifice!  I bet the actor is thrilled to no longer have to attached to his face.  Eva/Linder together was nice, which makes me think something totally bad is going to happen to them now.  It sounds like Eva actually doesn't want to go after Robles anymore, but Linder is still holding strong.  I think this is going to lead to something big and maybe bad.

Glad Hank pulled through, even if he really should be dead several times over.  Glad Lucy is also live, but, of course, Adriana had to break up with her, because she doesn't want to put her into harms way, and she can drop the story.  Should have known Adriana couldn't remain happy.  At least she still has Daniel.... heh.

So, as some suspected, Eleanor is actually working with the CIA, or Buckley/Ian Hart, to be exact.  I wonder for how long, because if she's been this stabby her entire career, the cover-up costs must be a pain in the ass for the CIA!

Speaking of Buckley, the other guy that was interrogating Sonya in their scene at the beginning, was totally Adam Arkin, right?  I wasn't fully paying attention to the guest credits, but he sure did look and sound like Adam Arkin.

You can tell that we're coming to the end.  Sonya has got the ledger and now as Eleanor and the evil CIA after her.  Marco is now in Fausto's hands.  Getting dangerous! 

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 1

My word, a beardless Linder!  The mind boggles. I'm not doubting Eva's sincerity in their relationship, but at the same time I was getting a Samson-and-Delilah vibe from that scene.  

Poor Hank -- so glad he survived, but he doesn't look like he's out of the woods just yet.  I'm amazed he had found the strength to hide the ledger where he did.

I really felt for Lucy, first she's attacked and nearly killed, then then her s.o. breaks up with her.  Adriana may have been trying to protect her, but that's still a crappy deal.

The looks on the faces of those people at the quincanera when Fausto walks in -- absolute terror.  Who can blame them?

• Love 2

I absolutely loved this episode.
Full with great scenes, Eva and (hot hot hot) Linder, Sonya vs Eleanor, Sonya and mommy, the ransom making of video, Marco and his old friend, Fausto trying to have some "normal" moments, Adrianna choosing her job over Lucy,  best episode of the season if not the whole show for me so far. Plus SO much good acting we take for granted.

And Eleanor is on the loose again. And Marco and Sonya on peril again ? I guess Fausto won't harm Marco. But who is following Sonya? I have the feeling it is the creepy ceo who will ask her help to save his daughter?

Btw, there is a "diagnosis in your file" Ms Cross, are you on medication? Wth was that? Do ppl with Aspergers take medicine? Or is it something else? In any case, authorities seem to be aware of Sonya's issues.

This is show is so good now after a kind of weird  2nd season start.  

Edited by Zaffy
  • Love 2
My word, a beardless Linder!  The mind boggles. I'm not doubting Eva's sincerity in their relationship, but at the same time I was getting a Samson-and-Delilah vibe from that scene.

Me too! As soon as she suggested it, I thought on the one hand, we might finally get to see the rest of his face but on the other hand, she is going to take away his superpower and he will end up getting killed!

Poor Eva. Her mind was willing to be intimate with Linder and she thought that she could do it, only to have her body and mind react. I really hope she gets some counseling.

Seeing Fausto stroll into that quinceañera with his armed guards was hilarious (only because I wasn't a guest at the party), as was the scene of him shooting the video to Sebastian. I really want Fausto to just get on a plane and go to Norway and leave all this crap behind.

I was so glad that Sonya found the ledger but as someone who has watched Pretty Little Liars, I wanted her to take pictures of every page so there was more than one copy.

• Love 3

My word, a beardless Linder!

Kudos to the editor for seamlessly tying all those shots of the shaving into one continuous scene.  Having shaved off a beard once, I can attest that they don't go down without a fight.

Was Eleanor lying when she said she was a Mexican national?  I've had the distinct impression the whole season that she was European, as is Ms. Potente.

Sonya, whatever else you do, make a copy of that ledger.  Now.

Unfortunately, Marco is in a real bind now.  If Fausto doesn't kill him for betrayal, the government will throw him in jail for setting up those two marines.  No matter that he argued against it; the officer will throw him under the bus to protect himself.

Edited by Dowel Jones
  • Love 1

I kept wondering if Franka Potente and Diane Kruger spoke German to each other during filming breaks.

I'm glad Eva put the brakes on sleeping with Linden. It makes total sense. She still has a lot to work through, as does he, I think.

Was Eleanor lying when she said she was a Mexican national?  I've had the distinct impression the whole season that she was European

That threw me for a loop, too. I suppose she could be Mexican through her mother.

Two more episodes to go, right?

• Love 1

I thought it was stated or implied that Eleanor was part of the Mennonite community that originally immigrated to Mexico in the early 1900s. That would be historically accurate. And there are Amish here in Ohio who speak with accents, now matter which generation they are. So wouldn't seem odd for Eleanor to be a Mexican national. It did seem odd that they didn't transfer her out of EPPD sooner.

I do wonder if Kruger and Potrente speak German on the set. It would seem to make sense, but in my years of work at universities, sometimes speakers of a shared language other than English stay in English, perhaps not wanting to offend others, even when it would seem they'd have an easier time in their first language.

Edited by lulee
  • Love 1

Potente and Kruger are both fluent in English, but I wondered about them speaking in German only because that's their native tongue. It wasn't anything deep. It was a "Hey! They're both German! I wonder if they've busted out the Kraut to stay in practice!" moment.

Yeah Eleanor is like many menonites in Mexico, they born there but speak German, English and Spanish... she even dresses like one..

Yeah I bet Franka and Diane chat in German when cameras are out.

Something that didn't make sense to me was Marco asking for help before going to Fausto's hideout.  If he's going to insist on going in alone, why ask for help in the first place?  Especially from the marines.  And what's the deal with marines in Mexico?  Are they like the American National Guard? 

Marco going to his old friend to confirm where Fausto was hiding -- all that did was give the friend a chance to alert Fausto.  Was that what Marco wanted?  Because he's usually smarter than that. 

Sonya and her mother -- she should have told mom why she should leave town, then taken her home, cleaned her up, and put her on a bus. 

• Love 1

So, as some suspected, Eleanor is actually working with the CIA, or Buckley/Ian Hart, to be exact.

She's in cahoots with the CIA in the same way Sebastian is but I don't think she's a CIA agent, working out of Langley. Some people speculated she might actually be an undercover CIA agent. 

• Love 1

And what's the deal with marines in Mexico?

They are normally charged with port security and associated duties, but Mexico has started using them for drug interdiction and capture of drug chiefs, probably because they're considered as more reliable than local or federal police forces.  It hasn't always worked out, as evidenced by the defection of special forces personnel to the cartels

• Love 2

I thought this was a great episode, too.  Everybody showed up, and they all got some good stuff to say and do.

Loved Linder and Eva.  It makes me totally antsy thinking about anything bad happening to either of them.  As much as I'm always on board with revenge, I hope Linder will listen to what Eva wants, and will go for a possibly happy future instead.

I, too, wondered why Sonya wasn't a bit more forthcoming with her mother - why she didn't say she wanted mom to leave for safety reasons, and why she didn't take her to get cleaned up and make sure she left town.  Then I realized that first, she's probably tried in the past to get her mother to change, and probably got some nifty cussing and cat-scratches for her trouble.  And second, because Sonya inadvertently led Eleanor to mom already, and someone could still be watching and following Sonya and would see her sending her mother away, thereby making the whole thing futile.  So she did the thing that was as low-key as she could manage.

Fausto's henchman's affront at the hostage rejecting his cooking and failing to appreciate how hard he works was hilarious.  Their indie movie attempt was a hoot, too.

When Fausto approached the festivities and the music stopped and everybody stared, it reminded me so much of the old spaghetti westerns.

How is it that Marco was able to get some Marine backup, but Sebastian was denied any Marine help to free his daughter?  Since both involved confrontation with Fausto, I'm not sure why TPTB would go for one but not the other.  Did they think Marco had a better chance of succeeding?  I missed something there.

Daniel was funny as hell breaking the lock on the garage door.  What I wonder about is with all the information he and Adriana are trying to put together, who do they intend to take it all to?  His former boss didn't want to publish the stuff they had before.  Who will break this story if they live to write it?  The stuff from the garage is obviously stolen, and I forget how much of their other stuff is stolen or unsubstantiated.

Hank is alive, sort of.  Yay!

Edited by daughtersofanarchy
  • Love 1

I loved that as soon as Daniel realized they could go break into the garage while the widow was still at the funeral, he pulled an abrupt kthanxbye and practically ran out of the room.

Like Sonya and the ledger, Daniel and Adriana need to make copies of everything and stash them somewhere immediately!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1

It HAD to be said. Too bad the advice comes from someone whose advice on fashion -- or anything else -- Sonya is likely to ignore. http://previously.tv/the-bridge/finally-someone-tells-sonya-to-get-rid-of-that-ugly-jacket/

<small voice>I like her wearing the jacket.</small voice>

...I'm not doubting Eva's sincerity in their relationship, but at the same time I was getting a Samson-and-Delilah vibe from that scene.

And with his knowledge of Bible stories, he really should know better. But he's following his vision quest of Eva being his bride. His surviving is secondary.

...there is a "diagnosis in your file" Ms Cross, are you on medication? Wth was that? Do ppl with Aspergers take medicine? Or is it something else?

Either they really don't know what Aspergers is, or she might have needed medication after her sister's murder.

Sonya, whatever else you do, make a copy of that ledger.  Now.

Seriously. You can use my scanner. Or just snap pix with your phone and put them in the cloud.

Marco going to his old friend to confirm where Fausto was hiding -- all that did was give the friend a chance to alert Fausto.  Was that what Marco wanted?  Because he's usually smarter than that.

Good point. He probably didn't trust them to let him go alone. Still, what was his plan? Convince Fausto to go to the fjords?

At least twice Daniel grabbed Adriana's upper arm to steer her in a particular direction. I guess that was Lilliard's choice rather than the director's?

I thought the Sonya/Eleanor interview was not without results. I think Sonya succeeded in bonding with her to the point where Eleanor might spare Sonya (to be "free") and off the CIA dude. But the ledger...

• Love 1

I have trouble with Marco (or anyone) thinking going after a drug lord with a total of 3 guys is a manageable plan. And Marco was going to go the rest of the way alone. To do WHAT? He didn't want to kill Fausto as evidenced by the conversation with the Marines so he would what hold Fausto at gun point and march him to the 2 marines? Wouldn't there have been a hundred guys in between them and the 2 marines? So let's say the THREE people go in there. Drug dealers are known for arsenals. You would need a small army to take one down. So while I still like this show the huge gaps in logic hurt my enjoyment.

Things don't look good for the home team at all. I have a feeling Sonya's mom will be unconscious from using all the money Sonya gave her to get high instead of to leave town when the bad guys show up. I fear for Adriana's girlfriend too because the bad guys know who she is and won't check their facebook status before going after her again. I do understand sending people you love away under the circumstances but I don't think it will work in this case.

• Love 1

I think that Marco was going to convince Fausto that his only option was to let Marco arrest him so that he would be taken alive.  This is why Marco wanted to go in alone and then have the marines back him up to get Fausto into custody alive. I think that Marco was being overly optimistic that his bond with Fausto would allow this happen without any killing.

• Love 3

I wanted to add to my post instead of writing a new one but the system isn't allowing it for me for some reason. Wanted to comment on Eleanore being "Mexican." She might be a Mexican citizen. I just figure that Menanites founded a community in Mexico but kept their religion and their traditions and didn't marry out so ethnically they'd still be caucasion Menanites and not Mexicans. Also while I don't know if it is true of Menanites my understanding of the Amish is that they speak German or some dialect of German so if Menanites do too then it makes Franka's accent not only possible but probable.

I like to imagine a sitcom spinoff in which Fausto and his cameraman/cook make it to Norway. Ray accompanies them and gets a fishing boat. They partner to open a Mexican seafood restaurant with the best fish tacos north of Oslo. Cesar manages he place and Fausto is the charming maître d. Occasionally Daniel drops in due to his new job as restaurant critic for Food of the Fjords. IOW, the peripheral characters are much more fun to watch than the tormented cops.

There is a sizable Mennonite community in Chihuahua, where The Bridge takes place. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mennonites_in_Mexico

The sect is ethnically German, and speaks the same German dialect that the Amish do, so Franka's accent isn't a problem. Of course, Mennonites share a commitment to pacifism with Quakers, so one can see how Eleanor's work got her shunned.

Edited by Cardie
  • Love 7

I thought the Sonya/Eleanor interview was not without results. I think Sonya succeeded in bonding with her to the point where Eleanor might spare Sonya (to be "free") and off the CIA dude. But the ledger...

I'll be very disappointed in Sonya if she lets Eleanor get away. Eleanor's background may be tragic, but it's hardly an excuse for all of the horrible things she's done.

There is a sizable Mennonite community in Chihuahua, where The Bridge takes place. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mennonites_in_Mexico

The sect is ethnically German, and speaks the same German dialect that the Amish do, so Franka's accent isn't a problem. Of course, Mennonites share a commitment to pacifism with Quakers, so one can see how Eleanor's work got her shunned.

I was under the impression that Eleanor was shunned before she got involved with the cartel.

It sounded like Eleanor's father raped her, and then got her shunned, and then Eleanor joined forces with Fausto - because she had nothing to lose, and she desperately wanted revenge against her father.

Edited by Blakeston
  • Love 2

I fear for Adriana's girlfriend too because the bad guys know who she is and won't check their facebook status before going after her again. I do understand sending people you love away under the circumstances but I don't think it will work in this case.

Wasn't Adriana the target? Didn't the guy mistake Lucy for Adriana?

Lucy could still be a target, simply because she's someone Adriana cares about.  So would Adriana's mother and sisters.

Sure. But what ever happened with that? Did they even try to kill Frye? And they screwed up with Adrianna, so they just dropped it? So many plot points get lost on me...

Sure. But what ever happened with that? Did they even try to kill Frye? And they screwed up with Adrianna, so they just dropped it? So many plot points get lost on me...

Fausto's assassins aren't very efficient.  One attacks Lucy instead of Adrianna, and gets himself killed in the process.  No one has made an attempt on Frye.  The Chopper relies too much on duct tape.  And don't get me started on that ginormous hole he wastes time digging. Bunglers, all of them.

• Love 4

You just can't get good assassins these days.

About Marco going in alone.  I think the plan was for him to stroll into Fausto's compound and push the button on the walkie talkie (?) to alert the Marines that Fausto was indeed there.  I'm not sure his beer drinking friend in town ratted him out, I think Marco and the two Marines were just clumsy in their approach.

Wow, the quinceanera scene was awk-ward.  

Linder took about 10 years off along with the beard.  

• Love 1

Fausto is probably less concerned with what Adriana and Frye have found out now that he's been deposed as the guy who collects the money.  I imagine he sees them as Sebastian's problem and Sebastian and the CIA want the violence to stop so as not to draw attention to the money laundering scheme.

• Love 1
It sounded like Eleanor's father raped her, and then got her shunned, and then Eleanor joined forces with Fausto - because she had nothing to lose, and she desperately wanted revenge against her father.

This is basically how I understood it, as well.

You just can't get good assassins these days.

It's hard out there for a narco kingpin.

• Love 3

Since Hank was only able to crawl on the ground after he was injured at the house of horror, how was he able to stand up and place the ledger in the box on the pole?  I guess he was just pretending to be that hurt. 

What are the odds that a drug addict will use the cash to buy a bus ticket as opposed to buying more drugs or booze?  

Adrianna knows she was the target when Lucy got attacked, yet she wants to keep living in that apt?  What's she smoking?  Granted, we the audience know that Fausto has a lot going on now and may not have her as a priority, but Adrianna doesn't know that.  There are still risks AND she may be a target of the CIA too.  I'm sure they don't want this story getting out.  They are likely more dangerous than Fausto.

Sonja seems to be okay with her breaking the rules, just not others. When she asked the fellow officer to help get her in to see Eleanor and he said he had to falsify some paperwork, she was all in favor it it.  Doesn't she know that's wrong?  That's illegal and you don't do things like that as an officer.  That's how she normally reacts.  I guess she's changed her mind.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1

Since Hank was only able to crawl on the ground after he was injured at the house of horror, how was he able to stand up and place the ledger in the box on the pole?  I guess he was just pretending to be that hurt. 

I remember thinking that this week's scene with Hank hiding it made no sense for how last week's scenes were edited. Hank was pulled himself past pallets of construction materials and I thought he was passing one with the ledger and then next we saw him with Cesar he didn't have it. So clearly he hid it in a pallet ... except that he somehow had a huge adrenaline rush and got it to up to the utility box that wasn't foreshadowed (as far as I can recall).

Edited by lulee
  • Love 1

In addition to those incongruities, why wouldn't Adam Arkin let Sonya talk to Eleanor?  All he had to do was say "Sure, but I'll be in the room too."  He had to know that Eleanor wasn't going to give anything up with regard to her dealings with the feds.  Let Sonya ask about the murder of the boy and be done with it.  All that did was make Sonya more suspicious of him.

• Love 1

What I couldn't believe was that the CSI team wouldn't find the ledger. It wasn't that well hidden. Sonia just opened the door to the box. No key, no forcing it open.

why wouldn't Adam Arkin let Sonya talk to Eleanor?

Just to be a jerk, I think.

• Love 1

Oh man, this annoyed me so much. I do not buy that Hank had the strength to stand up (when he could barely crawl) and place the ledger in that utility box. And there weren't any bloody hand or fingerprints on the box. Attention to detail is not this show's strong suit.

I was as terrified as the party goers when Fausto crashed the party. The exchange with the father and then the dance with the daughter was so unnerving. I was sure he was going to kill the dad and abscond with the girl as punishment for not being invited to her party.

Beardless Linder is so damn hot. I don't think he and Eva have a healthy relationship, yet I can't help but want them to ride off into the sunset together. They're far too "happy" right now, so I expect one of them to die before season's end.

Things are not looking good for Marco. If this show hasn't been renewed, I won't be surprised to see Marco die.

I was as terrified as the party goers when Fausto crashed the party. The exchange with the father and then the dance with the daughter was so unnerving. I was sure he was going to kill the dad and abscond with the girl as punishment for not being invited to her party.

I wasn't.  Fausto isn't a psychopath. He's a brutal criminal who deals with those who cross him in his criminal enterprises sadistically or tortures if terrorizing someone would send a message to his enemies. But he compartmentalizes and is also a gregarious guy who enjoys the simple pleasures of his culture.

• Love 4