Type keyword(s) to search

Final Fantasy Games

AntiBeeSpray
  • Start Topic

I do think I remember hearing something like that from SE. I really wish they would release a "complilation of FFVII" and include all of those titles you mentioned plus FFVII on one disk/download. Doubt that will ever happen but we can dream right?

Has anyone played the FXV demo that was included with Type-0? I played it and my feelings are "meh". I only got through around an hour or so. I know its still a rough demo and there's a lot of things they'll be working on (fix the camera please!) so i'm sure the final product will be much smoother. But moreso than that i just wasn't interested in any of the characters. Its just a group of guys who all are roughly the same age and dressed the same. I'm sure there's more to them than that, but one thing I loved about previous FFs was that there was always someone where just based on their character design alone I would say "Hmmm, I wonder that their story is..." I don't feel that way about any of these guys. 

I've read about it and seen early gameplay footage, and my feelings are basically the same. I don't know anything about the plot, though. Are they a boyband on a road trip?

I think I'm more interested in a remaster of XII to be honest. I can feel the pull of the Rare Hunts calling me just thinking about it. And imagine those terrifying summons with more pixels. Brrr.

• Love 4

I've heard there's more to them and one is related to some crime boss...almost a mafia type thing. I don't know, for a while now SE has been getting more realistic with the Final Fantasy series and while I get why their doing it (they feel casual fans will relate to it more) it almost feels like their taking the "fantasy" out of the series.

Final Fantasy is my favorite game series ever, but more and more I'm feeling they should call it quits. That name carries too many expectations with it and its so far removed from what it used to be (both in gameplay and in significance in the marketplace) that I don't know if it will ever get back there.

A remastered FFXII would be really cool to see. I definitely wouldn't mind sinking more time into that.

• Love 1
(edited)

I've read some about it too, seen some pics, watched part of the demo (with Ramuh), and at most it looks like if Squall took a road trip with some of his SeeD classmates (you know, in an alternate universe where he had any friends). These might be the most well-rounded, interesting and diverse cast of interchangeable white dudes ever (doubt it) but I don't know why SE doesn't play to their fan base. I would think it would be easier and more rewarding to get their fanbase back and strengthen it than trying to recruit new, casual players to a fifteenth sequel (because we all want to control a white boy band in our games, right?).

I know I haven't played a FF since IX but from what I've seen at least X to XIV looks like they're part of the series (albeit less and less...).

Edited by joelene
  • Love 3

Got my mits on FFX remastered and started playing today! Tidus is such a dork, I kind of love it. I don't read much fanfic but I'm kinda feeling a Tidus/Wakka slash search coming in my near future...

• Love 1

Got my mits on FFX remastered and started playing today! Tidus is such a dork, I kind of love it. I don't read much fanfic but I'm kinda feeling a Tidus/Wakka slash search coming in my near future...

Sweet! Have fun! I'm still towards the beginning myself, been working on leveling my team up :P.

• Love 1

Sweet! Have fun! I'm still towards the beginning myself, been working on leveling my team up :P.

Always a good thing! I have no idea what's going on with the sphere grid thing, but I must've thought the same with the previous games. I'll get there (probably, heh).

I didn't think I would be I'm really into the voice acting so far.

(edited)

Tidus is a dork.

But, really, for me... FFX begins and ends with Auron. He's just so cool.

Well, that and the fact that I'm endlessly fascinated about how Lulu actually moves around.

Edited by Dandesun
  • Love 4
(edited)

I got my copy of Crisis Core working again for my PSP. I don't know why it wouldn't work correctly, but it's been loading with no problems whatsoever. I got it at launch, so the Nibelheim scene is screwy though. :/

That said, Zack is definitely the standard I've been holding most modern FF protagonists too. <3 He's just so darn adorable and cool. The digital mind wave combat system is inspired too, annoying, but inspired. In fact, pretty much every character introduced in CC is likeable or interesting... Except Genesis. Heck, I actually like Hojo more than Genesis.

Speaking of Hojo, I can't help but notice that

after Angeal dies, you get two missions to fight Angeal and Genesis for data for Hojo. What makes it interesting is Hojo admits that Genesis is better than he thought he was. And he laments the loss of Angeal, as only Hojo can, of course.

Wasn't really expecting that from Hojo.

Also, there's a small little scene where Hojo traps Zack in a container and basically gives Zack a survey, and then rewards him for his answers. It's very strange, amusing, and unexpected.

Anyway, I still wonder if SE is ever going to finish Compilation of VII. Y'all know Crisis Core is almost ten years old at this point? I mean it came out (off the top of my head) 3/25/2007... Finish it already. I bet they wrote themselves into a corner with Genesis... >.>

Edited by PrincessEnnui

Maybe if they decide to actually remake FFVII. I have a conspiracy theory they don't want to do it because then it will became apparent how their modern titles suck compared to the glory days of old. On the other hand, they did remake FFX which is so much better than XII/XIII (and will probably be much better than XV from what I've seen of the latter), so this is just my paranoia.

Totally with you on Zack. He and Yuna are my favorite FF characters, period.

• Love 2

Square has its own press conference at the upcoming E3 next week. They obviously have to have a lot of content coming up to justify having their own press conference so rumors are rampant about what they may announce. Who knows, maybe they will announce an FFVI remake!

• Love 2

Hopefully they'll include a release date for XV, some info on Kingdom Hearts 3, and maybe a couple of PSN releases (c'mon XII, Before Crisis/Crisis Core). I kind of hope there's going to be a The World Ends With You sequel announcement too.

Apologies for the double post, but bumping because SE is remaking FFVII for the PS4. Woot! I really hope all the content that got left on the cutting room floor makes it in this game. I wonder if we'll be seeing stuff mentioned in the Compilation too, like Genesis and Deepground. I hope Rick Gomez voices Zack once again. Its shaping up to be a good year for J-RPGs. 

• Love 2
Apologies for the double post, but bumping because SE is remaking FFVII for the PS4.

I pretty much lost my mind when they announced this as the press conference last night. I can't believe they're actually finally doing this! Obviously its still going to be a long ways off, but this is just fantastic news.

• Love 3

You and me both. :D I feel like taking a giant victory lap because did I not mention Crisis Core was almost 10 years old at this point? The remake announcement is great because hopefully it will be followed by a (presumably) final sequel for VII. I don't think Square has actually done its conference yet, so hopefully a XII port will be announced too.

I wish they'd remake FFVI. That would be epic.

I'm replaying it in the Android version right now. It's FFVI Advance, with the graphics a bit cleaned up and an auto-battle button that uses your last set commands.

FFX is the last one I liked and is actually one of my favorite games ever. (I didn't like the game play in XII, so I never finished it.) It boggles the mind that they could screw up so badly after it with FFX-2, the XIIIs and the first XIV. Nothing I've seen from XV seems promising, except the incredible graphics, which... I'd rather wait and enjoy that engine in other games.

I was so pumped up for that FFVII reveal. It's like one of those things where you know you'll be excited for something, but until it actually happens, you feel nothing.

Someone actually linked me with the text "FFVII remake" and I was like "oh?"

But actually watching the trailer I was like "OHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!"

In other news, I tried getting back into FFXIII-2 but holy crap I just can't even. I know people didn't like the linear nature of XIII but XIII-2 is "Sidequests: The Movie : The Game: The Ride". And it's soooo "Guide Dang It" that even after hours of sidequesting, i'm not even close to 100% on getting all the fragments. Back on the shelf it goes.

• Love 1

Yeah, the whole FFXIII trilogy just shows how out of touch Square Enix is right now when it comes to what they think their fans want from a Final Fantasy game.

They release FFXIII and make it completely linear for the first 80% of the game. After the backlash from that, they release FFXIII-2 and basically make it nothing but sidequests and open from the start. Which is good in theory, but when dealing with something like time travel you actually need a little structure or the story becomes convoluted as all get out. Then after that they release Lightning Returns which felt more like a Western RPG than any other FF game I've played. Not that I have a problem with Western RPGs (Skyrim is one of my favorite games ever), but that's not what I want from Final Fantasy. They were just all over the map with the 3 FFXIII games in terms of gameplay and story telling. I at least commend them for wanting to make changes to appease their fans, at least it shows they are willing to listen. Its just distressing to see them struggle so much. 

• Love 1

A remastered FFXII would be really cool to see. I definitely wouldn't mind sinking more time into that.

My favourite FF game. I'm not sure if I could devote any more time to it though. I had all my player characters

maxed out and bestiary/weapons, etc. completed.

Heard speculation that a remake/remaster is in the works?

that was later clarified?

https://www.facebook.com/ffdistantworlds?fref=nf

Guess we'll see what happens. Still looking forward to FFXV.

Edited by EverCat
  • Love 1

Yeah, i saw that. I do think an HD remaster is definitely still in the works based on the sales of the FFX/X-2 remaster. But I think the confusion was in the word "remake", which I don't think is happening.

• Love 2

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD came out for PC. Granted, we could already play the game on an emulator with the graphical settings we wanted, but it's still tempting for the new controls. I'm eyeing it with some trepidation. Anyone got it yet? Does it play significantly better?

My favourite FF game. I'm not sure if I could devote any more time to it though. I had all my player characters

maxed out and bestiary/weapons, etc. completed.

Heard speculation that a remake/remaster is in the works?

that was later clarified?

https://www.facebook.com/ffdistantworlds?fref=nf

Guess we'll see what happens. Still looking forward to FFXV.

Final Fantasy XII is my favourite after VII. Loved that world and those characters. It felt fresh and new, and a departure from the established Final Fantasy standards. Balthier is probably my absolute favourite character in the entire Final Fantasy franchise, Vaan, though? Not so much. But the great thing was that, you didn't have to use Vaan if you didn't want to.

My team was pretty much always Balthier, Ashe and Basch/Fran. I had them kitted out to complement one another, and the best weapons I could get my hands on for each of them.

I don't need a remake, but a remaster to be released on the Xbox One? Well, that would be nice.

• Love 1

Final Fantasy XII is my favourite after VII. Loved that world and those characters. It felt fresh and new, and a departure from the established Final Fantasy standards. Balthier is probably my absolute favourite character in the entire Final Fantasy franchise, Vaan, though? Not so much. But the great thing was that, you didn't have to use Vaan if you didn't want to.

I agree that Balthier is the best, but I feel like Vaan gets unnecessarily hated on. I was ready to hate him going on because honestly, he looks ridiculous. But the few hours of the game where he's in the spotlight he's fine. He's basically Aladdin without a monkey. He doesn't get much to do later on but I'd rather have him blend in the background than be annoying in the foreground.

Edit: And another thing! FFX's voice acting is much improved from X. I think it's mostly because everything sounds less silly in a British accent. But Vaan's VA is so much better than Tidus' VA, even without the benefit of an accent.

Edited by jellysalmon
  • Love 1

I liked Vann in XII, but I loved him in Dissidia 012. Vann is a welcome change from Cloud, Squall, and Tidus. He's competent, easy going, quick witted, and friendly. He's got no skin in the game as far as the plot, but I feel that actually enhances his character because he's able to view what's going on quite differently from Ashe and Balthier. In fact, its Vann that makes Ashe realize her desire for revenge was consuming her and leading her down paths she didn't necessarily want to go down.

Too bad most of his charm is missing in Tactics A2, but at least he found a shirt.

• Love 1

I agree that Balthier is the best, but I feel like Vaan gets unnecessarily hated on. I was ready to hate him going on because honestly, he looks ridiculous. But the few hours of the game where he's in the spotlight he's fine. He's basically Aladdin without a monkey. He doesn't get much to do later on but I'd rather have him blend in the background than be annoying in the foreground.

I was just tired of the never ending stream of precocious teenage heroes in Final Fantasy games. I remember it felt for a while like Squaresoft were deliberately trolling, when they made Cloud 18, Squall 17, the guy in IX 16 etc. I mean, it's not as if the majority of gamers were those ages or younger, so why make your hero a barely through puberty angst machine?

It's true that Vaan was more carefree than the others, and I guess there was a bit of the Disney's Aladdin about him. But I found all the other characters far more interesting and engaging, even Penelo.

He's got no skin in the game as far as the plot, but I feel that actually enhances his character because he's able to view what's going on quite differently from Ashe and Balthier. In fact, its Vann that makes Ashe realize her desire for revenge was consuming her and leading her down paths she didn't necessarily want to go down.

This is an interesting point, but I generally felt like Vaan spent too much time being an observer of other people's narratives, without really having a defined one of his own. Which is why I think it was a smart move to give the cast more of an ensemble feel by not forcing you to have him in your party.

Of course, Vaan was much better than that Hope kid, in Final Fantasy XIII.

Am I the only one who liked Hope? 

I really don't understand the hate. Hope lost his mother during a terrifying and traumatic event and has (fairly in my opinion) blamed Snow over it. That said, if Nora hadn't fought, if she and Hope had simply been purged, odds are good he would have suffered Alyssa's fate from XIII-2. 

For the curious, Alyssa in XIII-2 is Hope's assistant. Her backstory is that she was caught up in the purge in Bodham and fled to Lake Bresha with a friend. Unfortunately, they and the others they were with were caught. The pursuit eventually ended in a rock slide that killed Alyssa's friend and left her haunting dreams.

I think Hope's emotional state and actions in XIII were justified because unlike the others, he was just some random kid caught up in this mess and he really can't process why. He's a not a solider or warrior like Lightning or Fang. He's not an experience pilot like Sazh or rebel/freedom fighter/community organizer like Snow. He's doesn't have Vanille's coping mechanisms/go with the flow attitude either. He really shaped up in XIII-2 and Lightning Returns, but he had the benefit of experience and maturity that he didn't have in XIII. 

• Love 1

Am I the only one who liked Hope? 

I really don't understand the hate. Hope lost his mother during a terrifying and traumatic event and has (fairly in my opinion) blamed Snow over it. That said, if Nora hadn't fought, if she and Hope had simply been purged, odds are good he would have suffered Alyssa's fate from XIII-2. 

For the curious, Alyssa in XIII-2 is Hope's assistant. Her backstory is that she was caught up in the purge in Bodham and fled to Lake Bresha with a friend. Unfortunately, they and the others they were with were caught. The pursuit eventually ended in a rock slide that killed Alyssa's friend and left her haunting dreams.

I think Hope's emotional state and actions in XIII were justified because unlike the others, he was just some random kid caught up in this mess and he really can't process why. He's a not a solider or warrior like Lightning or Fang. He's not an experience pilot like Sazh or rebel/freedom fighter/community organizer like Snow. He's doesn't have Vanille's coping mechanisms/go with the flow attitude either. He really shaped up in XIII-2 and Lightning Returns, but he had the benefit of experience and maturity that he didn't have in XIII. 

Of course everybody hates Hope, that's the unpleasable fanbase rearing it's ugly head. Hope is a guy, therefore he's never allowed to show an ounce of emotion ever or everybody will hate him for it no matter how incredibly justified he is to act that way, how much character development he gets, or how little the time he actually spends that way, this is true of all male protagonists in anything (and then they'll whine about them being flat emo characters if they are emotionless tough guys, go figure). It's also a strong double standard, if Hope was a woman instead he would have gotten away with this characterization scott free instead of hated on if not praised for that very thing.

In fact, it seems like most everybody that hates on FF13 either never actually played it or didn't play for more than an hour or 2 considering how all the complaints I ever hear are about things that either aren't actually in the game or vanish a short ways into the game. Hope is a good example of this, he's only scared out of his mind for about 2 to 3 hours into the game tops before shaking out of it and soldiering on, but everybody acts like the "scared out of his mind" part is the only thing to him.

• Love 2

I didn't like Hope. There is a difference between someone's behavior being justified and having to like them/not be annoyed by them. I didn't mind that he was scared or any part of his story - I thought it all made sense, revenge and change of heart and all that - but I wasn't interested in it. I didn't care for Vanille either, but her story was less generic as it was tied with the game's mythology. This isn't really about them, actually; I just am far more interested in adult (or at least adult-acting) characters. I will probably not bother with FF XV for this very reason.

I thought FFXIII was ok. I didn't like some design choices, but the style, the music, the cast, the story were Final Fantasy enough that I didn't feel disappointed. In fact, due to how the story was told, the linearity and forced teams didn't bother me; I'd seen this kind of stuff before.

FF XV is going to be a test for whether or not I'm ever going to enjoy a modern RPG or be stuck with replaying the classic ones over and over.  Because it's essentially The Elder Scrolls: Final Fantasy.  And obviously Oblivion and Skyrim have huge followings, but what I've played of them never really appealed to me, and so many RPGs are starting to emulate them.

I've liked what I've played so far, but aside from Noctis et al being dressed like an anime convention exploded, the entire thing screams "WE MADE THIS FOR WESTERN AUDIENCES" much louder than I would have expected.

But if I can't get into this, I'm probably not going to be able to get into Zelda: Breath of the Wild or Mass Effect Andromeda either, so I really need it to hold my interest.

On 11/26/2016 at 10:54 PM, PrincessEnnui said:

I do have WoFF, bought it day one off PSN. It's ok, but it didn't grab me. It was painful looking at very KH meets The World Ends With You style art and no soul. 

By the by, XV is also on X-Box 1. 

I thought it had some decent soul. But I liked Dragon Quest Builders better.

I tried replaying IX a few years ago on the PS3 and could not get past Lindblum because of boredom and the slow battle system. I played IX all the time on the original PS and replaying the PSN versions of VII, VIII, and HD remakes of KH and FFX did not have that effect on me. 

On 12/2/2016 at 4:27 AM, starri said:

FF XV is going to be a test for whether or not I'm ever going to enjoy a modern RPG or be stuck with replaying the classic ones over and over.  Because it's essentially The Elder Scrolls: Final Fantasy.  And obviously Oblivion and Skyrim have huge followings, but what I've played of them never really appealed to me, and so many RPGs are starting to emulate them.

I've liked what I've played so far, but aside from Noctis et al being dressed like an anime convention exploded, the entire thing screams "WE MADE THIS FOR WESTERN AUDIENCES" much louder than I would have expected.

But if I can't get into this, I'm probably not going to be able to get into Zelda: Breath of the Wild or Mass Effect Andromeda either, so I really need it to hold my interest.

I've beaten the game and like and enjoy it. I'm doing post game content right now and looking forward to the patches and DLC. It's less buggy than Skyrim, has less lore than Dragon Age, great gameplay a la Crisis Core meets KHBBS, but what I like the most about it is the characters. I grew really attached to all the characters, major and small. Having said that, I think the scenarios of VsXIII and Nomura as a director would have been better. I love Hajime Tabata, as he was the director of Crisis Core, but XV feels like a PSP game at the end of the day.

Reading some of his interviews and the "leaks" about XV's development makes me think Tabata should have had a partner in directing. XV is a unique experience, as every FF should be, but Tabata is right. There is a FF disease and it seems like all the fans want is for SE is do VI again, VII again, or X again. Well, you (general) can have those kinds of experiences... with the rereleases of VI, VII, and X. The long and short of it is, XV draws heavy inspiration from VII, VIII, and X in terms of plot and mechanics. And it should be noted that ever since VIII was released, every new FF is the worst FF and FF is dead. 

Also, forgive me if this rude, but the criticism of the story in XV drives me batty. I have heard people complaining about the story not making sense or having to watch Kingsglaive or Brotherhood to understand the whole deal. No, you don't. It's true that SE added scenes from Kingsglaive, but it was primarily fixing the tell, don't show problem of the fall of Insomnia in the story. All you have to do is pay attention.

Maybe this is my aspiration to be a writer showing, but if you can't remember the details that are spoon fed to you by the game, then how... how you (again general) did beat any other RPG and understand the story? How did you pass freshman English? You want to be treated like an intelligent audience, then you have to do the hard work of paying attention to the material, just like you would a book. 

On a lighter note, I enjoy the boys' fashions, but their 

Spoiler

King and Kingsglaive outfits are so much nicer than their starting outfits from the crownsguard. In any event, it's nice to shuffle around the clothing. 

One thing I've noticed. It seems that Nomura has gotten away from fully designing characters... Is it just him, or is this apart of a larger trend in Japanese game development? I mean Lightning and many of the XIII saga characters do have part time modelling gigs with Armani and Louis Vuitton. Is this the new normal? 

• Love 1

I finished FFXV this weekend and...mixed feelings. I'm usually all for light exposition and whatnot but I'll admit I wasn't sure what exactly was going on in the ending sequence. Not that it ruined the game or anything, it seemed like the characters knew what they were doing so I don't need some long-winded explanation about mystical mumbo jumbo, but a bit more context would have helped more than hurt IMO.

However, similar to FFXIII, I will go to bat for it because I liked that it's trying something different. Some things worked, others didn't. I agree with @PrincessEnnui that every new FF will be "worst one ever" in the eyes of the public.

Worked for Me: 

• Battle System
  • Group Banter
  • Summons
  • World

Didn't Work for Me:

• The gang's outfits. Just awful. Thankfully they have alternates, but I couldn't fix Prompto's lack of sleeves and Ignis' ever-present gloves. 
  • No party variation. There are some guest characters that I wished could have joined the group.
  • Chapter 13. Just awful. Way too long. 
  • Some light technical issues. Trees in my way, hitting x and jumping instead of talking etc.
Edited by jellysalmon
  • Love 1

Everything I've seen about Final Fantasy XV tells me that it will encapsulate all the things I don't like about Japanese gaming, and about Japanese pop culture in general. It's not a game I am at all eager to play. But I'm still waiting impatiently for the VII and XII remakes. 

I do worry that replaying VII so many years later, and with me so much older, could ruin the fondness I have for it. There's a lot of self-indulgent angst in these games that probably feels very adolescent. XII seemed more mature, even if only because it focused on adults for the most part.

• Love 1
On 12/21/2016 at 3:52 AM, jellysalmon said:
  • No party variation. There are some guest characters that I wished could have joined the group.
  • Chapter 13. Just awful. Way too long. 
  • Some light technical issues. Trees in my way, hitting x and jumping instead of talking etc.

Apparently, SE is working on adding more characters to the party.

Spoiler

It looks like Cor, Aranea, and Iris are definitely in (they mentioned prominent characters and these 3 already join you). I hope Monica and Talcott (somehow XD) make it. 

Their also working on redoing Chapter 13. I hated it the first time around because I wanted to finish quickly, especially given how short the prior two chapter were. Now that that's out of my system, the second time was a lot better.

Spoiler

Very annoying how you could break an enemies weapon and have them engaging you but unable to attack--which left you unable to progress. 

Also, we have dozens on button on the PS4 (and presumably XBONE) controller... Why is jump the same button as accept/talk (command). 

3 hours ago, PrincessEnnui said:

Catch a tonberry for me. :) 

Hide contents

They can talk in this incarnation, or at least the demo. They say "Die!" 

Tonberries were ALWAYS my favorite. 

I did! They're awesome :). Named mine Snape. Just replaying the demo right now before starting up the game.

Oh, hey y'all. I was actually thinking over FF today, and it hit me like a ton of bricks. Sania is, as far as I know, FF's first human Black woman with voiced dialogue. YMMV on Donna from X, she reads more SE Asian to me. There's only one other human Black woman character that I know of otherwise and that was the Sephiroth fan in Crisis Core. Same director, Tabata. Apparently Tabata has implied that Lucis is more open than Japan under PM Abe (IIRC), but I can't remember where I read this. Any, I just found that an interesting tidbit.  

ETA: Tabata speaks of it briefly during an ATR for XV this year and was referring to friendliness of the gov't.

Also, Sora was released as free DLC for WoFF in Japan today. Keep your eyes peeled.

Edited by PrincessEnnui
  • Love 1

Bump. FFXV got updated today along with WoFF. A lot of preorder DLC was released for general purchase today, as well the Chocobo/Moogle Festival. You get to travel a festive Altissia with Carbuncle to earn a fireworks studded ending. You can also collect two new recipes, a new rod and wheel, two new outfits, completion of the event nets you a dream egg. There's news slated for Episode Gladio on the 31st. 

WoFF got the Sora Champion DLC today as well. I gave WoFF a second chance and reached chapter 19. I stand by my initial reaction, though I would like to expand on it. It well done from an artistic, musical, story and gameplay perspective, but all together it's the least interesting game I've ever played. I just can't connect to the main characters. The best part of the game to me (miniventures) pretends they aren't even there! By the time I reached the Eclispe region, I just fast forwarded through their dialogue. Having said that, the crossover aspect is really well done. 

• Love 1

I really loved FFXV personally. I'd read it was originally supposed to be a trilogy, and I kind of wish that had happened just so I would have two more games to play with a storyline/cast I liked. Ardyn was probably my favorite character.

I'm excited about the XII Remaster. I haven't been able to re-play FFXII since my PS2 finally gave out and died. Some were talking earlier in this thread about how they disliked Vaan, but he never bothered me. I really liked Vaan and I always saw him as being a part of a trio with Balthier and Fran; they were the three characters I used the most often. I didn't care for Ashe, but Penelo was the only character I disliked in that game. I really didn't get the point of her at all. 

I wish SE would also release a remaster of IX and speed up the battle system. Honestly, I'd be fine with a straight-up re-make of IX like they're doing with VII, but I don't think it has the same popularity as the latter. Plus, I'd be afraid of the voice acting for the game. The voice actor for Kuja in the Dissidia games is straight-up awful, sorry. Not how I imagined Kuja at all.

A little late on this, but I really liked Episode Gladiolus. It was short, but I really liked that it was just him and Cor. I also liked the balanced tone, it wasn't too light or dark. I also like the Rugged outfit they give you for getting 500k+ in the score mode. Gladio has a nice tatoo and even better abs. ;) 

Sadly, I think it will be forgotten about after Episode Prompto and Ignis. Gladio probably is my favorite character character after Regis and Noctis. They never revealed who he was dating either.