Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E13 Ascension

Rhetorica

I know this probably isn't the case---the show was probably in the can before it started airing, but the final episode seemed like somewhere maybe around episode 8---probably around the time they started moving the time on the schedule, and doubling up episodes, they realized it wasn't a big hit, and they decided "we need to wrap this sucker up" so they started moving quickly toward an ending--dropping off the subplots they could not realistically wrap up.   

It felt like there should have been a couple more episodes before the last one to flesh out some key things that happened at the end, but somehow they ran out of time.

I liked the way Ethan's story line ended, but I'm very sorry not to see some more about the rich guy's quest for eternal life and what happens to the offspring.

I am betting that Halle won't do another season.  And she got extensions recently so the forelock is gone--she has long hair again.

I really see it the exact opposite way, car54: that around episode 8, they started stalling for time because they didn't have enough story left to tell to fill out the season. So they ran around chasing the "offspring" here and there and everywhere, over hill and dale and back again, and having it manipulate goons to kill each other again and again in various locales. Then the final two episodes they quit stalling and finished the season.

I just marathoned this show on Amazon. Overall I really enjoyed it, and I'm glad it's getting a second season. I hope it can continue for a couple more.

I'm so sad that Ethan's body is gone, the actor who played him was too cute and adorable. He did a really good job acting the part as well. I didn't want him to die, but could see it coming in the last episode. I'm just happy his program is still alive, he's my favourite character. I could seriously watch a show based just on him and his half alien brother. I was so hoping things would work out, and Molly and John would end up raising them both.

Most of the other characters were also good. The science team were pretty awesome, Julie and Charlie. I thought Kern was interesting. I love Camryn Manheim, so seeing her as Sam was a plus. I was also glad and surprised to see Victor! Or Enver. I hope he's in S2, I've loved him since Dollhouse

Downsides.. well nowdays it seems many shows need to have a dozen major plot points happing all at once, so there where some plots that I didn't care for and at times the story seemed incoherent. Sparks was dull and his motivation a little unconvincing. I'm also glad that Kryger died. I didn't like Molly and John being separated for long periods, though from a writing point I understand why that was done. Yasumoto was also meh.

Odin, well executed as a villainous character who I can not stand. I really want him to get his comeuppance. As far as I'm concerned, he's a child abuser. I hated how he manipulated Ethan. It was really sinister. I also hope Julie can get some revenge/closure.

Excited for S2. I think a really interesting world has been created. At a time when Marvel and DC are dominating, it's nice to get some original works out there. It was basically an origins story, things can now go in many different ways.

• Love 1