Type keyword(s) to search

Gillian Darmody: Just the loneliest person on Earth

The image of Gillian and Jimmy that has stayed in my head was the very first one of the two of them together, when Jimmy walked into her dressing room and she wrapped her legs around him as she hugged him. The audience hadn't been made aware that they were mother and son yet so it was an easy mistake to assume they were lovers.

• Love 3

I knew something wasn't quite right between the two of them when Jimmy bought his mother a better necklace than his wife, but at the time I just thought, "Eh, she was a teenage single mother and they were dependent on each other.  Whatever."  Little did I know just how dependent they were.  Ick.

I actually do think that the incest was planned all along I just think they had to rush the reveal because of them firing Michael Pitt.

In the second season it was blatantly obvious that their relationship had some sort of sexual element to it, but I definitely felt like we got hints in the first season too. In addition to the aforementioned reunion scene of them backstage, I especially felt it in the scenes involving Luciano like when Gillian sets Luciano up and and after Jimmy walks in she says to the surprised Luciano "We're very close, Charles" as she leans her head on Jimmy's shoulder. IIRC for several episodes Luciano even thinks that Gillian is Jimmy's wife. There was also the dreamy, wistful conversation with Pearl where Jimmy mentions how beautiful his mother still is. It's been a long time since I've seen the first season but I want to say that there was also a phone call scene between the two while Jimmy is still in Chicago where it doesn't seem so much like a mother son relationship.

Yeah, I remember a lot of us back at TWoP suspected it wasn't a normal relationship even during that first season. 

• Love 2

I disagree. The incest was so traumatic jimmy freaking enlisted. He'd literally rather die than face her again. They acted as if sexual play were a fun thing for them... And gross as it is, that's not what this show have us.

I also think it was clear early on that Gillian was brought to the commodore as a sexy teen and he pRobably thought she was older. They saw each other for years. The solemn serious child who dreams of being a

day doesn't seem like someone who h ad her first kiss the day before let alone someone who'd become a showgirl. It all felt retrofitted to me.