Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E02: Week 1: Results & Elimination

• Start Topic

Sorry, Keo. I hope TPTB give you a second chance with someone who is not a headcase.

I wish the results show was back for good. I love getting to hear the conversations from backstage and on the floor.

• Love 4

Well at least Lolo pulled it together to say goodbye without making it worse, I think. Ah Keo, such a waste, I'd take him over Mark any day, even with the Duck princess.

Can't say too much surprised or impressed me tonight, what a mess the production has been so far, not only did they not pull it together from last night they seemingly got worse.

Now if there is a man who needs to dance shirtless every chance possible it is Artem, yum.

• Love 3

I like Keo, but he could've said something nicer about Lolo after she pulled it together enough to give a graceful goodbye. I'm chalking it up to him not being used to the format.

Betsey looked sad all night and I felt for her. She seems to genuinely enjoy dancing. I also echo the sentiment about Jonathan's eyes; he's adorable, but he needs to tone down the histrionics. 

Eliminated pros stick around to dance bumpers and with musical guests, right? Keo needs to stick around!

Yes they do normally and Tom did say Keo would be back, for group dances, bumpers, etc. I like his style, it was nice he at least got to showcase himself in that intro dance with Ali and Art, he has a pretty funky style that's different but in a good way for me.

Watching again in tonight's backstage footage how Keo was doing all he could to encourage Lolo last night, trying to pump her up and being excited that they didn't get murdered with their scores and yet all she could do was pout and make awful, bratty faces while throwing herself a pretty big ass pity party, it was embarrassing.

I hope she actually watches it all back and sees where she went wrong, with her attitude and demeanor, and actually takes some lessons from this. She's too damn old to still act like a six year old when things don't go her way, imho.

• Love 1

I did snark that he's more thrilled at being on TV and said training with Lolo was "interesting."

Yeah, I didn't think that did him any favors. Maybe he didn't mean it exactly as it came out?

I agree that I miss those little moments between the couples! Jonathan: "How did 'Duck Girl' and Mark do?" He's a cutie, but I think he wants this too much, and that often turns off the audience. Speaking of turn off, Janel...whining about scores. I don't like her vibe, but I'm going to try to give it more time. I think Betsy might be nuts aside from anything else.

Tom was in great form tonight, and I thought that Erin did pretty well with everything being screwed up for her cue.

Just wanted to reiterate the note that comments about other shows (Duck Dynasty etc...) are for those boards and not the DWTS board.

Here's a happy bunny for you in case the results are not to your liking!

3bg3Uzq.jpg

That is the cutest bunny! Thanks for posting.

One and done Keo. I hope the show keeps him along long term though I did snark that he's more thrilled at being on TV and said training with Lolo was "interesting."

I can imagine how challenging it was for Keo being with a woman who didn't want to be touched. That had to be difficult for him.

.....I wish the results show was back for good. I love getting to hear the conversations from backstage and on the floor.

I feel the same way. Tonight's show made me sad to think we only get two more results shows this season. The best part of the results shows for me is hearing the conversations before, during and after the performances.

• Love 2

Time to go go, Lolo! Did I actually hear her say in the "why we're doing DWTS" package that she was motivated by the dissing from her high school prom date back in 2000? Girl you are on your 30's now! I'm a couple years older than her and my senior prom date actually picked up another girl on the way there and ditched me at the door. It was traumatic then, but now I find it hilarious (not to mention he came out as gay the next year, so neither of us ever had a chance!). But seriously, she's got some serious man issues. No wonder she hasn't found someone to marry her.

She's also very inarticulate. At first I thought she was going to somehow blame Betsey in a "she made a mistake too" way. But after stumbling through awkwardly, I think she was trying to say her mistakes were all her while Betsey had prop malfunctions.

• Love 1

I'm still laughing about Betsy dropping down in front of Tony's crotch when they were announced in jeopardy. His response was hilarious.

I didn't really see any point in Lolo bringing up Betsy's prop mishap. She should've just said she didn't do her best and enjoyed dancing with Keo. But he couldn't say he enjoyed dancing with her either so I guess it's good they're done.

• Love 6
Yeah, I didn't think that did him any favors

She certainly didn't do either of them any favours, but I don't think what he said was a big deal either and I don't believe he meant to slight her considering he did so much to try and encourage and cheer her up since the mishap last night. She even said he kept sending her sweet texts through the night to improve her mood.

I've missed the results show.  I really wish they'd keep this one-hour Tuesday night results show, but I realize that they aren't.

At the same time, the production was so sloppy that I'm not sure this new crew is capable of actually pulling it off every week.

Otherwise, no surprise with the results.  I don't think Lea was "in jeopardy" but rather needed her vote-base goosed.  

• Love 2

They sent the right person home. To put it (very) nicely, I don't think Lolo has the right temperament for this show. I think she tried, in her own way, to be gracious to Betsey but even that was super awkward. It's too bad for the new guy, but thems the breaks. I'd much rather see Tony and Betsey dance again, even if she only lasts another week or two. 

• Love 2

Did anyone notice the Season 18 champ wasn't included when they talked to celebrities in the ballroom? I guess she and her showmance partner were too busy chasing down reporters to take pictures of them so they could stir all that crap up again. But it sure was great to see Charlie and Ralph!

• Love 1

Yeah, I think Lolo was bringing up the prop issue with Betsey to say, "It was my fault I screwed up my dance, so I deserve to go home. Betsey's dance got screwed up because of forces outside of her control, so she deserves to stay. I agree with this result." She just said it in a very awkward, hard to watch way. 

• Love 7

I would imagine that some of the production problems had to do with fill in staff. They let go about half of their staff last year when they dropped from two shows a week to one. I remember an interview when one of the dancers (I think) said they were missing people they had been working with for years.

Liked the pro dances tonight, liked that they were trying to get the new pros introduced properly. They've certainly never done that before. Witney and Mark were so cute, heard a rumor that they are an item.

Wasn't Mark Witney's dance teacher for years, before she did any shows (and was underage)?  That makes it just a little creepy to me but hey, whatever.  

Janell loves Val, after 3 weeks?  Good for them, too, I guess.

I wonder who Erin was supposed to interview there that stood her up, when she had to quickly pull over Lea(?) and get Betsey up off the floor to talk to her instead.  Then she just sent it back to Tom when all Betsey could improv was that she wanted out of her costume right then and there, and meant it.  I hope Tom gets paid well because it's kind of a clusterfuck and he seems to make it all ok.  Erin's good, too, but she's nervous and it shows.

I did have to laugh at Erin interviewing Lolo earlier in the show and Lola said something like, "I just feel bad I disappointed Keo."  And Erin didn't reply at all, she just turned to the next interviewee and left Lolo standing there looking like, "Great, she basically just agreed with me."

Edited by Guest

I would have loved the Pro Shuffle with Lolo getting paired with Derek. Hmph. Keo needs some sound bite media training but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. And my eyes rolled pretty far back in my head over the story of Lolo's prom date telling her she couldnt dance as personal drama and motivation....sheesh she has some serious man issues. She said she has never slow danced with another man since then?? Um, this show isn't for you hon. That kind of messy internal dialogue needs professional help, not a fluffy glitter and unicorn poop of a tv show!

Holy Smokey Eye Job.

Peta was hilarious..."i want to go all the way with you." Pause. "That sounded sexual but I didn't mean it that way." LOL Peta dressed as Mary Jane. Drop it like it's hot girl.

• Love 2

I wonder who Erin was supposed to interview there that stood her up, when she had to quickly pull over Lea(?) and get Betsey up off the floor to talk to her instead.  Then she just sent it back to Tom when all Betsey could improv was that she wanted out of her costume right then and there, and meant it.  I hope Tom gets paid well because it's kind of a clusterfuck and he seems to make it all ok.  Erin's good, too, but she's nervous and it shows.

It makes me think that hosting is a lot harder than it looks. Erin is better than Brooke, but that's faint praise indeed. Tom is the only host that knows how to ad-lib. Not just with questions and jokes , but apparently with production screw-ups as well. Who is directing the show this year? I can't believe how screwed up everything is. Maybe they shoukd have Tom do that, too.

Jonathan: "How did 'Duck Girl' and Mark do?"

Is this the first time they've shown the "stars" being somewhat catty about each other? IIRC, all the other seasons TPTB bend over backwards to make it look like the contestants are one big happy family.

I wonder who Erin was supposed to interview there that stood her up, when she had to quickly pull over Lea(?) and get Betsey up off the floor to talk to her instead.

Based on what Tom said when he sent it to her, about talking to the highest scorers who knew they were safe, I think she was supposed to interview Alfonso, Sadie and Bethany. 

A few hours late since I had to catch up on the DVR but agree that Lolo going home was the right choice. Either her or Betsey would have been fine but Betsey was likely saved due to the likability factor. She wasn't great but she had a great attitude. Lolo stank BAD and she had a horrible attitude - bad combination. 

It was nice having a proper results show again but I have to say I didn't really love any of the Pro numbers. I really need for the show to get another choreographer than Mandy Moore for those group numbers (also WTF to that song the Pro women were dancing to in the opening) and Mark and Witney's dance kind of bored me to be honest. Like others, what I most enjoyed about having the results show again was seeing the couples' interactions behind the cameras before they danced and after. 

Which speaking of, holy wow to the Janel/Val interaction some were mentioning above. I have to say, so far it has seemed like she's pushing the showmance far more than Val. Although don't get me wrong, I'm not totally letting him slide since I doubt she'd think it's okay if she didn't get an indication from him that it was. But I don't know if it's because he's reading comments and suspecting backlash from viewers because they're being so over the top or if he is uncomfortable but he went on twitter talking about what people think is flirting was just chivalry or some crap and basically trying to downplay the whole thing.

But yeah between Janel's rubbing of his pecs which she thought were his abs and all the kisses and "I love you...", it was all a bit much. Not to mention, was she kissing him on his lips...the hell? I'm guessing maybe the boyfriend is fine with it because they're looking at it as one big acting job by her but that just seems sad and desperate in my opinion. Janel should be confident in her abilities to feel like she can win this on her dancing. She and Val need to focus on her cleaning up her technique and creating fun, exciting dances instead of trying to showmance their way to the Finals.

Again, I guess Val saw last season with Meryl and Maks and thinks that's what it takes but I maintain Meryl and Maks won because she was just that good and not because of their gag-worthy showmance. Instead of Val looking at Meryl and Maks as some standard, he should listen to how Maks constantly passive aggressively goes on about how Derek "knows the formula" to win since he's done it 5 times. Well guess what, none of those wins came with any hint of a showmance. Derek's only showmance on the show was Shannon and that was arguably his worse performing season and he and Maria sort of had some flirtation and they got eliminated right before the Finals when she was at the top of the leader-board. I don't know why these people haven't yet figured out that shit does not work.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

Love your post, truthaboutluv, and agree with you - but I think those idiot producers tell the pro/celeb couples to do the showmances.  I think it was obvious with Val/Kelly Monaco - and it's been obvious, at least I think so, in other cases, as well - maybe all of them.  Blech!

BTW, I don't deserve to ask this because I don't want to watch, but someone mentioned that Gleb Savchenko performed on either the performance or the results show.  Is that true?  I used to be a fan but he apparently just dumped his wife for a new model (and he had a preschool child!)

Anyway, I just read this about Lolo:

Update on Sept. 16 at 11:20 p.m.: Lolo Jones posted on her Facebook page ab out her experience, posting in part, "I really wanted to stay on the show and have the layers of hurt wash away by showing the public how hard I work. I wanted to come away a victor for once. I wanted to do so good performing in public that the haters would stop teasing me."

Mental case?

• Love 1

Anyway, I just read this about Lolo:

Update on Sept. 16 at 11:20 p.m.: Lolo Jones posted on her Facebook page ab out her experience, posting in part, "I really wanted to stay on the show and have the layers of hurt wash away by showing the public how hard I work. I wanted to come away a victor for once. I wanted to do so good performing in public that the haters would stop teasing me."

Mental case?

The girl needs a therapist. When she was asked about joining the US bobsled team and whether a Winter Olympics medal would matter as much as a Summer Olympuics medal for track, without missing a beat, she said yes! Any medal! I just want any medal for any sport, and any color medal at that. She is constantly searching for validation.

Is this the first time they've shown the "stars" being somewhat catty about each other? IIRC, all the other seasons TPTB bend over backwards to make it look like the contestants are one big happy family.

I'm not sure if it's the first time but I'm still surprised they showed it. Although I'm pretty sure Jonathan is gay, right? I thought I'd read that. If so, I'm guessing there's no love lost between him and the Duck Dynasty crew since he knows their feelings.

I did see Gleb on Monday nights show. I think he lost a lot of supporters when fans started hearing about his infidelity. I never really warmed to him as a person but thought he was a good dancer. I thought he might be back when Maks left but I think Artem took the "hunky" role.

Lolo seriously needs therapy. I couldn't believe her reason for doing the show is because being dumped at prom resulted in her never dancing with a man since? If someone else had said that I'd think they were being tongue-in-cheek. I'm glad she's gone because she was going to rank right up there with Kate Gosselin and Bristol Palin for most miserable contestants for me.

Edited by Buggin

Tony was hilarious, as mentioned, when Betsey dropped to the floor beside his crotch when they were announced, "in jeopardy."  I think Betsey is a free spirit of sorts. She's 72, so more power to her. She must do some serious yoga or something.

Totally enjoyed Alfonso's dance the second time. Now I have earworm again. Alfonso seems full of joy and not full of himself (see Corbin Blue, or however you spell it.) (imo)

Sadie results show quote, "The reason I'm here is I want to share my faith and show that Christians can have fun too." Oh sheesh, here we go. I didn't know that Christians don't have fun.

Lolo, the prom dude was right. Also, I give Keo credit for saying that Lolo was "interesting" instead of "flaming basket case." I would think an Olympian would have been so different in attitude and approach. And it's not like she's totally unfamiliar with the media or being on camera. Yikes.

I love the two night format, so of course, it isn't scheduled to last.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 4

I don't know that I see Janel and Val "showmancing," Janel seems like the kind of person who says "I love you" to everyone, and is over-the-top flirty and handsy with everyone. It doesn't read to me like they're trying to "sell" anything. (Case in point: Janel with boyfriend after the show, Janel being cutesy with a different platonic friend) That said, she's way more intense than I was hoping she'd be - I was hoping she'd be more silly/fun and I think she might want it a little too hard at the moment - she might need to dial it back a bit. 

Edited by kitcloudkicker
  • Love 1

I don't see the Val/Janel showmance either. She reminds me of a lot of girls I knew in college who were very handsy (with their female friends as well as with guys), told everyone they loved them, and would pretend they were being mean when they were just kidding (like when she told Val to be quiet because it was her interview). For some of the girls, that behavior continued into their mid-20s when they were still hanging out at bars. I don't think it's anything more than that.

As for Val, he seems very physically affectionate too (as are many dancers). During their rehearsal footage, he told her she did a great job and then kissed her on the forehead. Between my experience with 20-something girls and dancers, nothing Janel did seemed weird or out of the ordinary. Honestly, I'd rather see someone like her act that way than listen to Sadie go on about how daddy has to approve her outfits and she is there to be a good Christian girl who can also have fun.

I think Betsey is a free spirit of sorts. She's 72, so more power to her. She must do some serious yoga or something.

Betsey used to end her runway shows by doing a cartwheel into the splits. It was her signature move so much so that people expected her to do it. She used to be a dancer. It's a lot easier to maintain the splits than it is to lose them (or never have them) and try to get them later in life.

• Love 1

Did anyone notice the Season 18 champ wasn't included when they talked to celebrities in the ballroom? I guess she and her showmance partner were too busy chasing down reporters to take pictures of them so they could stir all that crap up again. But it sure was great to see Charlie and Ralph!

Meryl was on GMA yesterday so I am guessing she was still in NYC during last night's show.....although I did see a picture of she and Max in the audience on Monday night!

(Are we not supposed to know that's a kitten?)

I was facing my computer; did Tom B. keep a straight face when he said the men were (paraphrasing) concerned about their ballroom? At least, that's how I heard it!

I'm glad that Alfonso was picked to reprise, as I had missed the opening show. He was awesome, but ringers will be the demise of this show, IMO.

Edited by LennieBriscoe

I'm still laughing about Betsy dropping down in front of Tony's crotch when they were announced in jeopardy. His response was hilarious.

I had to roll that back on the DVR for my daughter! Awkward! Still glad she stayed - she isn't going to last long and may not be the best dancer but she's a breath of fresh air. She's also been through a lot (her clothing line and stores went bankrupt and was bought up by Steve Madden so she now works for Betsey Johnson through Steve Madden - plus she's had breast cancer). 

It will be interesting if Alfonso can keep up the interest level - he was so good but it's not always about talent, it's about the fan base. And I'm sure the judges will pick him apart since he has danced pro in the past. 

Poor Lolo. She needs to get over her prom date dilemma. I actually felt sorry for her for one split second.