Type keyword(s) to search

Midsomer Murders - General Discussion

• Start Topic

If you have access to Pluto TV (Amazon Fire Stick/TV, web, Roku, etc.), they have Seasons 1-13 for free (with a few ads). One issue I have with Britbox is that they don't have the earliest seasons of many series due to licensing, and trying to get them is difficult. I've seen most Midsomer Murders episodes over the years but I am finally sitting down to watch them in order! 🙂

• Useful 1
On 9/9/2019 at 5:20 PM, VCRTracking said:

Emily Mortimer and Colin Firth's brother is in the first one.

I've watched that one several times and did not know that was Colin Firth's brother. He was great, very creepy. Why isn't he in more stuff ? 

Does anyone know if season 21 (yes, I've watched them ALL, thanks to Acorn and Britbox) will only have 4 episodes ?

On 12/6/2019 at 9:15 PM, kassygreene said:

According to IMDB and to epguides.com, Season 21 is only 4 episodes.

Whoops okay, should have seen this first. I wonder why ? Oh well.  😞

Does anyone remember "Garden Of Death" with Victoria Hamilton ? I've never actually watched anything else she's been in (not even The Crown), but she was awesome in that episode. And ND plays a different character, the gardener. I think it's one of my favorite episodes, but it is very dark. Two different characters commit matricide. Disturbing, but the performances are worth it.

Edited by IWantCandy71
  • Love 2

So as an American I'm not familiar with John Nettles early work and found out he was already a TV star from a popular 80s detective show which ran on BBC for 9 seasons called Bergerac, about a recovering alcoholic police detective on the island of Jersey in the English Channel near France. He drives a 1947 Triumph roadster(pictured here):

51-HBNdNFML.jpg

This is the most intriguing part of the show's Wikipedia page:

Bergerac had an ongoing flirtatious relationship with glamorous jewel thief Philippa Vale (Liza Goddard) who went by the nickname of the Ice Maiden.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2
On 12/24/2019 at 5:38 PM, VCRTracking said:

So as an American I'm not familiar with John Nettles early work and found out he was already a TV star from a popular 80s detective show which ran on BBC for 9 seasons called Bergerac, about a recovering alcoholic police detective on the island of Jersey in the English Channel near France. He drives a 1947 Triumph roadster(pictured here):

51-HBNdNFML.jpg

This is the most intriguing part of the show's Wikipedia page:

Speaking as a Brit, yeah, Bergerac was very much what John Nettles was known for, before Midsomer Murders. It used to be on during the daytime when I was little, but I would see odd episodes here and there if I was home from school for any reason, my mum always watched it. For many people even now, if you mention John Nettles, it will be Bergerac they think of first, rather than Midsomer.

(I remember it as a very 80s cop show, couldn't say how well it has or hasn't aged. The Jersey setting was its biggest selling point - part of the UK and yet not really of the UK, with its own systems of law and government)

• Love 2
On 9/9/2019 at 6:20 PM, VCRTracking said:

Troy's pretty homophobic(which I get the show doesn't agree with his attitude) but it gets a little much.

On that topic, I just started watching season 1, and it seems like nearly every episode has a (sometimes secret, sometimes not, sometimes only "I wonder if") gay relationship pretty close to the center of the story. It struck me as odd. Perhaps this was how you were "edgy" 20 or so years ago. And I agree with someone else that Troy is just "unwoke" as we would say these days.

• Love 3

Suddenly realized where I had scene the actor who played "David Whitely" who appeared in the first episode and then burned to death in his trailer season 2's "Death's Shadow".

tve17668-19970323-754.jpg

Has anyone here seen the Zucker Abrams Zucker comedy Top Secret! from 1984 with Val Kilmer?

top-secret-lg.jpg

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

Suddenly realized where I had scene the actor who played "David Whitely" who appeared in the first episode and then burned to death in his trailer season 2's "Death's Shadow".

tve17668-19970323-754.jpg

Has anyone here seen the Zucker Abrams Zucker comedy Top Secret! from 1984 with Val Kilmer?

top-secret-lg.jpg

I love that movie! Have it on DVD.

• Love 1

I'm watching an episode in season 4-- the one with the naked body in the crop circles. I felt kind of sorry for the actor who played the body. We had many lingering shots of his fat, rather hairy, bum. Not too good for getting dates I would think!

Edited by dleighg
  • LOL 1
On 1/15/2020 at 12:27 PM, dleighg said:

I'm watching an episode in season 4-- the one with the naked body in the crop circles. I felt kind of sorry for the actor who played the body. We had many lingering shots of his fat, rather hairy, bum. Not too good for getting dates I would think!

Haven't gotten to that yet but I have just watched the first episode that season "Garden of Death". I've been jumping around different seasons so I've seen the most recent one with John Barnaby's replacement, his cousin Tom and was surprised to see the actor younger and fitter in this episode as a Casanova gardener! Its also weird seeing him hit on Joyce!

ETA: Thoughts on "Destroying Angel".

-I think eating that poisoned mushroom would definitely be the worst way to die. Agonizing pain for days until death.

-Like Sgt Troy I'm both annoyed but attracted to the  puppeteer girl:

MV5BYzIyNDFhMTUtYjdmYy00MTE5LWJjMGYtNGRk

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1

Acorn is showing series 21 now.  The episode Point of Balance was interesting. Do they hire actors that can dance or dancers that can act? There were some good dancers in that one. The murder was weird and the murderer unexpected. They also had some back  story with Barnabys dad. Apparently he was a dancer and left the family to tour a lot. 

The Miniature Murders was ok. I liked the houses more than I did the crime.

• Love 1

The Miniature Murders was ok. I liked the houses more than I did the crime.

I know you're talking about the doll houses but I feel the same way about the real houses on the show. I'm a sucker for English country homes.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I know you're talking about the doll houses but I feel the same way about the real houses on the show. I'm a sucker for English country homes.

Oh me too! I love the little gardens and the thatched roofs.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, BookWitch said:

I love the contrast between the tranquil, verdant setting and the stark brutality of all the murders. I mean Midsomer makes Cabot Cove look crime free.

• LOL 3

My husband (who is still working from home during pandemic 2020, while I am retired and watching a lot of Acorn TV) has noted all the murders in Midsomer. I told him about some lines from one of the last episodes I watched (when Sgt. Scott was new): 

"Det. Barnaby has a new partner/assistant come to the region from London, and the new guy says at the end “Is the body count always so high around here, sir?” and Det. Barnaby says “It *has* been remarked upon” "

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I love the contrast between the tranquil, verdant setting and the stark brutality of all the murders. I mean Midsomer makes Cabot Cove look crime free.

Yeah, people out in the country do get creative with their murder weapons.

• LOL 1
20 minutes ago, BookWitch said:

Yeah, people out in the country do get creative with their murder weapons.

“Good heavens!” I cried. “Who would associate crime with these dear old homesteads?”

“They always fill me with a certain horror. It is my belief, Watson, founded upon my experience, that the lowest and vilest alleys in London do not present a more dreadful record of sin than does the smiling and beautiful countryside.”

• Love 2
6 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

6 hours ago, BookWitch said:

I've seen the eps so many times, that as the characters are talking, I check out the furniture, dishes, tea sets, knickknacks - I LOVE the Carmen Miranda fruit bowl in "The Animal Within" - and of course, the appliances.  But the gardens and walkways by the rivers, and the proximity to a pub would be nice:)

• Love 3

I keep waiting for the tall people to duck or bang their heads on the doorways and low ceilings.  The house here in Arizona are big on cathedral ceilings so they're usually 8 to 16 feet up from the  floor.  I like  how the closet doors can be at an angle to match the stairs or ceiling that they're in.

• Love 2

There was an episode on tonight, The Flying Club, that I had never seen.  I thought I had watched all of them until now.  My local PBS station indicated that Doc Martin and Death in Paradise would be shown, and that the Death in Paradise would be a new episode.  When I tuned in for Death in Paradise, there was a Midsomer Murders episode about halfway through.  I have no idea what is going on with the local PBS station, but the programming did not match the guide or the Uverse guide on the screen.  Now I'll have to find the first part and watch it so I can figure out what was going on.      

I'm watching an old episode now, but have realized:

Have you noticed that all it takes is a little push down some stairs to kill someone? I mean, I think a lot of us have stumbled down some stairs at one time or another, but lived to tell about it. In fact, pretty much bounced right back up, with only a bruised ego. 

In my clutziness I've managed to fall UP the steps but not down. I try to be real careful.  It does seem that people aren't falling as much as being thrown. Maybe that's what matters. 

I watched “Murder by Magic” - my 1st MM episode - mainly because of Andrew-Lee Potts, whose performance as Conor in Primeval I used to like. While I enjoyed the plot, I was kinda disappointed to discover that Mr. Potts couldn’t seem to act his way out of a paper bag. 🙁 Maybe he was  trying to appear brooding, but it came across as just flat.

But that won’t stop me from watching more episodes. 

• Love 3
On 12/28/2019 at 1:54 PM, dleighg said:

On that topic, I just started watching season 1, and it seems like nearly every episode has a (sometimes secret, sometimes not, sometimes only "I wonder if") gay relationship pretty close to the center of the story. It struck me as odd. Perhaps this was how you were "edgy" 20 or so years ago. And I agree with someone else that Troy is just "unwoke" as we would say these days.

There also seemed to be a lot of incest early on in this show. Like some others, I've watched random episodes of this show on PBS. My parents have recently gotten Acorn and/or Britbox, so I've been able to start from the beginning. 

• Love 2
On 5/1/2019 at 4:27 PM, dgpolo said:

I mostly liked Troy except when he exhibited homophobic tendencies. I mostly liked Cully but looking back I find she annoyed me a lot, especially when she got impatient with her father's job. I mean, she grew up with it right? and I thought she was really stupid in that whole episode with the reunion with her so-called 'friends'

I hope it is okay to mention the original books here. Troy was far more bigoted and chauvinistic in the books though he had a few saving graces (good with dogs and handling Barnaby on bad days). Barnaby could be quite the curmudgeon, though he was fun and sensitive when not frustrated. Joyce was the world's most inept cook, but loving and loyal to Tom. I have enjoyed and repeatedly watched the tv series for years, and now I love the books. 

• Love 4

Just found this topic - since the changeover to how the forums are organized I rarely look beyond the front page listing of dramas.  Anyway I noticed that a couple of people above commented on English country houses.  There's a great show called Escape to the Country which is about someone searching for a house in the country (DAH!).  There must be hundreds of episodes on youtube.  I don't think American towns can compare to the lovely English villages.  Another plus is that the buyers are not the obnoxious nitpickers of House Hunters.  

While I continue to watch Midsomer Murders I prefer the ones with John Nettles.  He's just more likable than the new guy.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

I just re-watched The Killings at Badger's Drift and was amused that the character Phyllis Cadell was played by Selina Cadell.  ...and that was the character's name in the book. I wonder if the coincidence of them having the same name was what led the casting director to consider Selina for the part.

And speaking of the casting director, Joyce Nettles, she's the ex-wife of John... another coincidence of the same name of Joyce for his & his character's spouse.

Yes, I'm spending too much time on this during lockdown.  Hahahaha

• Love 4
On 9/15/2020 at 11:21 AM, peacheslatour said:

Yes, but Gwilym Lee, mmm.

I loved John Nettles too but I'm a big fan of Neil Dudgeon so the change didn't bother me.

Have you seen Mrs Bradley Mysteries with the late, great Diana Rigg? Neil Dudgeon plays her chauffeur and they have great chemistry together.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, welnoc said:

I loved John Nettles too but I'm a big fan of Neil Dudgeon so the change didn't bother me.

Have you seen Mrs Bradley Mysteries with the late, great Diana Rigg? Neil Dudgeon plays her chauffeur and they have great chemistry together.

No but I certainly will if it comes to PBS, CBC or Ovation. I love Diana Rigg.

Edited by peacheslatour
On 11/6/2020 at 10:30 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

I hated that episode; I never watch again when it comes on.

I totally agree. One of the worst episodes to me. I skip it when do random rewatches of the seasons. 

The kid was a total creepshow!

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, msani19 said:
On 11/6/2020 at 9:30 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

I hated that episode; I never watch again when it comes on.

I totally agree. One of the worst episodes to me. I skip it when do random rewatches of the seasons. 

The kid was a total creepshow!

The one I always skip is 'Left for Dead' IMDB summary: Jones is brought back to his home town to help investigate a series of murders linked to childhood friends and events that occurred years earlier.

It's the one where some kids put another kid down a well. There's just something so incredibly sad about it all I just can't deal with it.

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

The one I always skip is 'Left for Dead' IMDB summary: Jones is brought back to his home town to help investigate a series of murders linked to childhood friends and events that occurred years earlier.

It's the one where some kids put another kid down a well. There's just something so incredibly sad about it all I just can't deal with it.

Agreed - that's a hard one to watch, too.

• Love 1

GRRRRR - It's our PBS channel's Beg-A-Thon time. No Midsomer.  Just a fine, quality program my dollars help them to air, but oddly, they only air them during a Beg-A-Thon.  Wouldn't it make more sense, that if people love & watch Midsomer, that they'd ask for money THEN?  Pre-empting a favorite show to some music extravaganza only annoys me and makes me less likely to donate any money to them.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

GRRRRR - It's our PBS channel's Beg-A-Thon time. No Midsomer.  Just a fine, quality program my dollars help them to air, but oddly, they only air them during a Beg-A-Thon.  Wouldn't it make more sense, that if people love & watch Midsomer, that they'd ask for money THEN?  Pre-empting a favorite show to some music extravaganza only annoys me and makes me less likely to donate any money to them.

I watch it on Wednesday afternoons and practically all day on Thursdays on Ovation.

• Love 1