Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Lisin

Midsomer Murders

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 9:43 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

I read the books and was gobsmacked at how bigoted & ignorant Troy was. They did a much better job of defining his character for TV. In the books, it also seemed to be a running gag that Joyce was a horrible cook, which they acknowledged the first season of the TV show, but then seemed to drop it.

Really, considering how much I like this show, the books were dreadful. I'm thankful someone saw through the dreck to see the jewel underneath and then made the TV show. Jeez, you'd be halfway through the book before the first murder occurred! Graham spent so much time defining the "nutters" and their situations before the story actually began.

Now that I've got Acorn and am skipping around the seasons, I've seen at least one episode of each "sidekick" and really prefer Ben. If you watch his first show and the last few, you can see how his character's grown into the role of detective. I found it quite satisfying and thought his transfer to become a DI more than logical.  The other guys were just there as foils for either Barnaby and to knock down doors.  While Ben did more than his fair share of knocking down doors & running after the bad guys, we saw him grow. I appreciated that.

I am on series 18 on Netflix and I have to say, Ben is my favorite too, but I think he had better chemistry with John Barnaby rather than Tom.

• Like 2

As cops I prefer Jones.  Eye candy its a toss up between Scott and Jones :).  It what I watch every night after work.  It’s become comfort viewing for me 

• Like 1

We are watching Series 20 (new DVDs from our library) and about ten minutes in, I realized how much I'd missed the series. 

Maybe it's because it's been frigid cold and dreary here, the colors of Causton look even better this year. But even more, the houses, buildings, priories are breathtaking.  There's a half timbered house that is an estate.  Puppy dog is still there just enough.  We're making ourselves stretch out watching this, because we know binge watching is fun, but good things are even better savored slowly.  I really liked the supporting characters so far.  

• Like 1

Haha,  you guys! Although I am a hard-core Anglophile (how did I miss this show's awesome quintessential English villages on my travels?!) as well as British murder mysteries aficionada, I somehow have ignored MM until this year!

So I am only on Season 4, alternating between my PBS programming and Amazon Prime. 

I'm hooked, and it will be a sad day for LennieBriscoe when Tom Barnaby departs the scene! John doesn't look to have the same snarky twinkle in his eye!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Haha,  you guys! Although I am a hard-core Anglophile (how did I miss this show's awesome quintessential English villages on my travels?!) as well as British murder mysteries aficionada, I somehow have ignored MM until this year!

So I am only on Season 4, alternating between my PBS programming and Amazon Prime. 

I'm hooked, and it will be a sad day for LennieBriscoe when Tom Barnaby departs the scene! John doesn't look to have the same snarky twinkle in his eye!

Love your name Lennie Briscoe, one of the very BEST TV detectives! "Law and Order" was never quite the same without him. 

I'm one my first rewatch of the show. I added another subscription to my life, so I could watch via BritBox. I really liked Tom Barnaby the first time I watched, but I never noticed the subtle, confident sexiness of DCI Tom Barnaby! 

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the episodes. It's always nice to hear what people watching for the first time think about the show and different episodes. 

• Like 3

msan19, I adored Jerry Orbach as LB! Even more as a husband, when I learned that every single morning before filming,  he would leave a love poem for his wife! 

As for MM, I like best the episodes that relate somehow to whatever play Cully is in.  

• Like 1

Alas and alack, we have come to the end of Season 20's six episodes.  One I considered a miss, I'm not sure I remember it even though we watched it two days ago.  But two are absolute jewels.  Maybe the best I've seen in several years. 

Mr Ecats noticed something and verbalized it:" American TV shows don't have middle aged people.  Midsummer Murders and other British shows have people of all ages."  He is, of course, correct.  And the who did its are not predictable by age or social class or even assholeiness.  

It's been a while since we first found  Midsummer, but somehow I really enjoyed the writing on several of these episodes.  Cynical and snarky and the writers demand the viewers pay attention, and the writers reward attention with diaglogs that deliver. 

• Like 3

enoughcats,  Mr. ecats is spot-on! It is THE reason I don't watch most American/Canadian shows (example: "Suits"). Or else the non-youthful are buffoons,  comic foils on sit-coms,  not true "real people" characters. 

I thought I was the only one..... 

• Like 2

Just watched the episode, "Death in the Slow Lane," introducing John Barnaby,  and I take back my earlier opinion! I love the guy AND his awesome terrier Sykes! 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sykes_(dog)

But who didn't know as soon as we saw him that the villain would be David Warner?

That's the problem when mysteries hire famous actors!

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Just watched the episode, "Death in the Slow Lane," introducing John Barnaby,  and I take back my earlier opinion! I love the guy AND his awesome terrier Sykes! 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sykes_(dog)

But who didn't know as soon as we saw him that the villain would be David Warner?

That's the problem when mysteries hire famous actors!

Broke my heart.  Was hoping it was his “ daughter” when it was just the dj.  But finding that car, it had to be an older person 

Season 19 - I just knew when I saw the dog with a suspect that it would end up with Barnaby; glad to learn the real Sykes didn't die.

• Like 1

I've only seen this show on PBS and have not sought it out other places (Netflix, library DVDs, etc.) to try to enjoy it slowly like some others here. It's nice when my DVR randomly shows a new episode and I get to be surprised with something new to watch, particularly when there's nothing else on TV. However, I have definitely missed a lot of episodes this way and watched several out of order. At some point I will have to try to go back and fill in, if I can even remember what I've seen.

Anyway, PBS just started the John Barnaby episodes. Like others, I have not liked the John and Ben interactions yet. It seems like they've had Ben regress in order to make John look even better. I remember Ben jumping to conclusions and making silly mistakes when he was first learning, but I thought he had definitely improved. Meanwhile, interesting storylines for the first two episodes. Death in the Slow Lane and Dark Secrets. The murderers in both are elderly men (though in the first, he was young when he first committed murder). And both episodes feature either actual incest or what would be incest if it wasn't for "Daddy" not actually being Daddy. Definitely an interesting start for John. 

• Like 2

On 8/11/2014 at 8:03 AM, Biosynth said:

I'm hoping to catch "Written in Blood" again.  That one got to me!

I'm glad to see that it's okay to talk about the whole series in one thread, because I have a question the second episode.  I'm avoiding spoilers so maybe this has been discussed.

I liked most of this story except for the subplot of Clapper, the drama "teacher", and the blackmail, or whatever the hell it was.  Why did Edie sleep with him?  Was it all a prank, or payback because he was such a phony?  The students obviously knew he didn't have blackmail money, because they had already posted the pictures where everyone could see them.

So what the heck was that all about?  I'm watching via Amazon Prime and assume that I'm getting the entire episode, without cuts (which happens when British shows come to PBS).

What I like most, so far, is that Barnaby answers questions.  There's no snark or attempts at wit or putdowns -- he's very upfront.  I like Sgt. Troy, and the running joke of him stating the obvious to Barnaby. 

Love the characters -- not too many familiar faces yet, but I'm looking forward to Orlando Bloom.

I’ve been a long time viewer of Midsommer Murders on PBS. So far I don’t like the John Barnaby episodes. Both the coroner and Ben are written as dumb and dummer to prop up John. They could have easily kept their characters with John, but they didn’t chose to write it as such.