Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E05: Duggars Decorate & Diet

Listening to her lament over not having any more infants to take care of, I couldn't help but think, "doesn't this woman still have five elementary school aged children at home?"

Thank you!  That drives me INSANE.  I realize that she's not exactly raising her kids, but her nest is nowhere near empty.  Like, not even in the ballpark.  Several of her children are still very young, one of whom clearly has special needs that are being blissfully ignored by her parents, which I think is an absolute tragedy.  That child will be five-years-old in a few short months, but appears to have the developmental capability of a much younger child.  I'm certainly no doctor, but even I can see that she needs speech therapy, at the very least.  She was the one child I doubted would be lost in the shuffle like her older siblings were, but no such luck.

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 4

I must have been a very cranky young 20 something, because I soon told everyone who asked that it was rude to keep asking such questions.  I recall saying that I can't believe they would be so forward as to intrude into such a private matter.  None but the totally stupid failed to get the point, but my reputation as a bitch on wheels was set for life.  My husband's family always considered me "too good" for them or some such nonsense.  I merely wanted to be free of feeling molested by their questions and comments.  Their children, my husband's nieces and nephews, were also told to watch out for me, as I didn't like kids.  Not true.  But they sure never made any effort to interact with me, and eventually I gave up.  I have friends with kids who are great.  We go places and do fun things and have an amazing time.  

• Love 3

I married late (31, ancient by Duggar standards) & then we went through years of infertility treatments which also would not be Duggar approved.

In the meantime my brother & his wife adopted 1 toddler & never had any other children.

It was sad to see my parents sighing about not having any "real" grandchildren. I did eventually have twins which made them overjoyed, & then a surprise baby at 43, which no one seemed happy about. Guess I went over the magical number of two, or was too old in their eyes.

Which got me thinking that as distant as Michelle is with her current grand kids (but I suspect she will be paying some attention to Jill's baby since it will be an infant) if one of the Duggar kids was infertile & adopted, & it wasn't a baby, would she ignore it? I say probably.

• Love 3

Anna probably made 24 biscuits because she knew the trainer was coming. The way they acted when he came to the door was a dead giveaway. 24 biscuits means the family esp. Josh is overeating and not eating healthy.

I enjoy biscuits as much as the next person but I eat one at most, as an adult. 24 biscuits for 5 people? Yikes! I'm assuming you're right, some were probably for either production (TV value) or for the camera crew.

• Love 1

It could be she's cooking from a recipe for a larger family, and hasn't bothered to cut it down. I still make meatloaf using my mother's recipe which was for a family of six, even though I'm now only cooking for 2, just because it's easy. And of course, leftover meatloaf sandwiches are delicious the next day.

Blech...I don't know why but whenever they show Anna cooking, it just completely grosses me out.  She always seems like she's fumbling through it, and doesn't know quite what she's doing.  I know it's not a cooking show, but Martha Stewart, she ain't.

• Love 2

It could be she's cooking from a recipe for a larger family, and hasn't bothered to cut it down. I still make meatloaf using my mother's recipe which was for a family of six, even though I'm now only cooking for 2, just because it's easy. And of course, leftover meatloaf sandwiches are delicious the next day.

She banged the biscuits out of a tube and made a joke about there being so many preservatives in them. Then she banged out another tube. Had to be all for show.

• Love 3

they are "the littles".

That is another one of my irritations with the show.  Little is an adjective not a noun.  Michelle and Jim Bob need a grammar guide.  They mutilate the English language on every show. 

• Love 1

That is another one of my irritations with the show.  Little is an adjective not a noun.  Michelle and Jim Bob need a grammar guide.  They mutilate the English language on every show. 

I totally agree and every time I hear them called "littles"  my mind goes to the Rudolph the red nosed reindeer Christmas show and the Island of Misfit Toys.  The song starts playing in my head "I'm on the island of misfit littles… misfit littles."  I can see all the little girls on that island wishing they had a mother and waiting to be rescued.  

In fairness, calling little ones "littles" is pretty widespread slang these days. It may be a tad cutesy, but I don't think it represents a misunderstanding of the parts of speech.

• Love 3

In fairness, calling little ones "littles" is pretty widespread slang these days. It may be a tad cutesy, but I don't think it represents a misunderstanding of the parts of speech.

As long as it is purposed and in the season, it just may be a very neat and sweet new slang to use.  

• Love 6

The Duggars are dropping the last word of the end of the sentence so it is a corruption of an adjective.  True, they aren't the only ones doing it, but that doesn't make it grammatically correct.  Yes, I hate sloppy slang.  Perhaps my insisting on proper grammar has helped my children more than most as several of them are professional writers in various fields.  :) 

• Love 4

"Little" actually is a noun, also, yet not in the way the Duggars use it. Calling young children "littles" isn't my favorite thing either, but it's definitely not limited to the Duggars.

"The Littles" is a series of children's books by John Peterson about a family of tiny humanoids with mouse-like features. There was even a tv series. Not that the Duggar littles will ever have heard of it. It always sounded kind of Roald Dahl to me, too.

• Love 1

I totally agree. I've always thought that Jill had the most determination and drive of all the kids, and I've been impressed by the freedom she's carved for herself via her midwifery. She's out and interacting with regular people, and she's still at home raising the kids (with a more realistic take on the real world than anyone else in the family) because she clearly actually enjoys it.

I know some others are sassier than she is, but they seem to spend all their energy in snark and don't have anything left for action. Jill, the quiet one, has gone out and done things.

Jill - the quiet one?  I respectfully beg to differ.  No one can get a word in edgewise when Jill's around.  She answers questions first, she goes on and on - and she answers questions asked of other people. She's even answered Derick's questions at times. It's appalling how much of the floor she takes at every opportunity.  Jill is the Alpha Daughter.

• Love 5