Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E04: Duggar Dirty Jobs

I think it's odd they're not allowed to hold hands, but he can give her a side hug with his hand on her arm a few inches away from her breast. Wouldn't it be more modest to hold hands away from the body? 

Edited by Temperance

Still watching, I save all my other thoughts in a long post.

Michelle at the painting place. "It will start you know with the siblings. And before you know it the grandkids" Not sure of the exact wording but something like that. 

Translation I can't wait for her to be as infertile as me.

As for John David, he didn't seem that bad to me. He does seem like not the brightest bulb in the box. I think he enjoyed getting doughnuts with Ben.  If I were 24 with no prospects of getting married or getting out, I would very jealous of 19 year old who gets to get married with no more training than me. JD's probably doing the same chores he's been doing since he was 14, 16 etc. with no real promotion. it would get me depressed.

Upthread someone mentioned the skirt with the bedazzled butt that Jessa was sporting this episode. I thought it was cute and looked nice on her, but I wonder how that draws less attention to her backside than a plain old pair of jeans would. But hey, it's a skirt that hits below the knees, so it meets the Duggar Dress Code.

Yes! That was me. I no longer understand the Duggar dress code. You'd think a bunch of jewels on the butt would be drawing attention to it, and not at all modest. And I've seen the girls with belted sweaters that definitely show off their curves and emphasize the bust. So yea, how is a pair of pants the root all of evil, but those things are perfectly fine?

• Love 7

I am not all that fond of Ben, but there is no excuse for Boob and JD to treat him like shit.

Ether they're trying to scare him off or testing his resolve by seeing how much he can take.

Also, I don't know why they're calling that a guest house,; its an office space in a warehouse. 

• Love 3

One thing about the skirts/pants. It isn't only about modesty, but also about having distinct clothes that men wear and women wear. There is the verse from Deuteronomy that says, "The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God."

Now, why this verse but not other ones in the Old Testament, I don't know, but that's part of where the idea comes from.

The funny thing about that is, men basically wore robes in OT times, and I doubt what women and men wore were THAT different. I take the verse more to mean deliberately trying to look like a man if you're a woman and vice versa. Jana and Josh could both be wearing pants and you'd still know she was a girl.

• Love 3

I think most people who actually read and think about that verse would come to a similar conclusion, but people like the Duggars live in a world where the verse is read and they are TOLD what it means to justify one man's obsession to maintain power and control over people's lives.

• Love 2

I think most people who actually read and think about that verse would come to a similar conclusion, but people like the Duggars live in a world where the verse is read and they are TOLD what it means to justify one man's obsession to maintain power and control over people's lives.

I think most people who read the verse would dismiss it out of hand as some made up bullshit! LOL

• Love 5
Guess what, JD? Outside of Duggarville (population 22), you're a smug nobody with zero education or people skills.

Not quite...JD can drive a bus!  Maybe Greyhound will have some openings for him if he ever wants to go dangerous and venture off the family compound.

• Love 2

One of our priests explained the verse as women were not to dress as for battle.  It wasn't a law as some of the other things in the OT were law, but was a general suggestion.   I agree it's another way of beating women over the head with the Bible to keep women under control.  It's from the fundamentalist rebellion against women's equality. 

• Love 5

Do you think Jim Bob and Michelle are aware of how awful this treatment of Ben looks to the rest of the world?  I missed a show (last episode I saw was where Ben is given a tour of his "duties" on the plantation, then gets to see his glamorous new digs in the metal warehouse).  Also, did I miss seeing his dad's disapproval of JimBob in a previous episode?  I keep forgetting to watch, then get intrigued reading all the amazing comments here.  Do any of you ever write to the Duggars to let them know how offensive they are? Over the years, I've found them annoying, boring, shallow, etc., but the Ben situation is OTT bad!

• Love 1