Type keyword(s) to search

Ask the Outlanders: Questions for the Bookreaders

Athena
  • Start Topic

Well as long as we are talking about Le Comte, Bear McCreary shared this bit of info in his blog.

Shortly after arriving in France, Claire crosses paths with a corrupt merchant and courtier, the Comte de Saint-Germain.  . . . The Comte ignited my imagination, because he provides our first glimpse into the gilded, often ostentatious, world of the Parisian courts. Doing some quick research on the character, I learned he was inspired by a real-life historical figure. The true Comte de Saint-Germain was a prominent figure in European high society during the mid-1700’s, and was known to dabble in the arts, sciences and music, having composed, among other pieces, many sonatas and arias.

Wait? This intriguing character was a composer in real life?! I had to take advantage of this rare opportunity.  I called up my music historian, Adam Knight Gilbert, and we discussed the Comte and his surviving musical output. I asked Adam if he could dig up a handful of the Comte’s most famous and memorable melodies, with hopes I could incorporate one into my score. . . .  Adam ran to the USC Music Library and sent me a few examples of the Comte’s writing. I was struck by one theme in particular, a melody drawn from a composition by the Comte, called “Se mai riviene.” For the purposes of the series, I would use this melody as The Comte Theme.  As the character makes his entrance, his theme is performed by an ornamented duet of viola da gamba and harpsichord.

- See more at: http://www.bearmccreary.com/#blog/blog/outlander-season-2-begins/

So the music you hear when le Comte enters the warehouse was actually composed by the real-life Comte de Saint-Germaine.  How cool is THAT?

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 7

I don't know if this is the right thread because of all the spoiler bars, but is this Count of St. Germain supposed to be THE Count of St. Germain or Chelsea Quinn Yarbro's Count of St. Germain, or did Gabaldon just like the name?. 

I believe this is the Compte St. Germain Gabladon based her Compte on: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Count_of_St._Germain

He was a composer, occultist and also claimed to have lived 500 years. 

ETA: Or what Athena said. Serves me right for not noticing there was another page.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 1

I believe this is the Compte St. Germain Gabladon based her Compte on: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Count_of_St._Germain

He was a composer, occultist and also claimed to have lived 500 years. 

ETA: Or what Athena said. Serves me right for not noticing there was another page.

If you read "The Space Between," a novella about

Marsali's sister and one of Jamie's nephews

, you also find out more about the Comte than you do in the main books.

Edited by Athena
added spoiler tags
  • Love 1

When Claire, Bree and Roger go back to the 1700's do they bring any photos of the 20th century for Jamie et al to see? If not that was an error on Diana's part in the books.

Edited by Athena
Spoiler tags

Oh yes.  

There is a beautiful scene when Jamie and Claire first reunite in Voyager where she gives him a stack of photos of Brianna -- one from each year of her life -- and Jamie "goes quietly to pieces" over them.  Sigh.  The photos, alas, are lost at a later point when Jamie and Claire end up in the water after one of their many misadventures at sea.  But that's the only example I can think of.  Remember, Claire was nearly burned as a witch so I think they would be cautious and would avoid carrying anything back with them that might terrify the locals into thinking "Witchcraft!"  But in the example above, Claire just could not help herself.

ETA:  marialeia you might need to spoiler tag your question.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 2

Oh yes.  

There is a beautiful scene when Jamie and Claire first reunite in Voyager where she gives him a stack of photos of Brianna -- one from each year of her life -- and Jamie "goes quietly to pieces" over them.  Sigh.  The photos, alas, are lost at a later point when Jamie and Claire end up in the water after one of their many misadventures at sea.  But that's the only example I can think of.  Remember, Claire was nearly burned as a witch so I think they would be cautious and would avoid carrying anything back with them that might terrify the locals into thinking "Witchcraft!"  But in the example above, Claire just could not help herself.

ETA:  marialeia you might need to spoiler tag your question.

Thanks.

I would've included pics of the modern world if I was writing this and not Diana but this is cool info.

Gabriel Aubry

I'd never heard of him, so went to Google images and was amazed.  He looks

so much like the Jamie that has been in my head for years.

• Love 1

Bumping this thread up for non book readers to ask questions. While there is nothing wrong with asking in the book talk threads, you will find spoilers for all eight books which will impact the show.

Spoiled/book readers, please remember to use the spoiler tags. Thanks!

(edited)
Spoiler

Spoi

I’m new to the books – almost done with DIA.  I have a question re/the Comte.

Spoiler

I’ve seen it mentioned in other threads that he is also a time traveler, which I thought could prove to be interesting, but Claire poisoned him in DIA.  How do people know he was a time traveler if he was killed off, or was this merely speculation?

Edited by Wouldofshouldof
Sorry - I goofed up the formatting!
  • Love 1
29 minutes ago, Wouldofshouldof said:

I’m new to the books – almost done with DIA.  I have a question re/the Comte.

Hide contents

I’ve seen it mentioned in other threads that he is also a time traveler, which I thought could prove to be interesting, but Claire poisoned him in DIA.  How do people know he was a time traveler if he was killed off, or was this merely speculation?

Are you sure you want to know the answer?

Spoiler

The answer is, he is only mostly dead--the "poison" only makes him appear dead. The Compte hasn't reappeared in the main novels yet, but there is a novella, The Space Between, that explains how he survived to a certain degree. The novella is set much later in the series, though, so you might not want to delve into it until you've finished book 7. Unless you don't mind being spoiled, that is.

• Love 1

Thanks DIttyDotDot.  I've been careful with my spoilers.  If they start to go into territory that I don't want to know about, I stop reading, but I'm OK with knowing other things.  Since I'll be bereft after this season ends and I'm a voracious reader, I've decided to plow ahead with the books while waiting for S3.  I know I'll still enjoy the shows even though I'll be 100% spoiled at that point!

Ok, I am getting THUMPED in the no book forum for saying that there is no way in Hell that Gellis is Clarie's daughter, and I have listed a bunch of reasons, mainly, I just don't see it in the way that Gellis interacted with Clarie on the show.  I feel like I am correct,  Am I correct?

2 minutes ago, riverheightsnancy said:

Ok, I am getting THUMPED in the no book forum for saying that there is no way in Hell that Gellis is Clarie's daughter, and I have listed a bunch of reasons, mainly, I just don't see it in the way that Gellis interacted with Clarie on the show.  I feel like I am correct,  Am I correct?

Spoiler

You are correct. Keep hanging tough.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Archery said:
  Hide contents

She is in her mid twenties when Claire meets her.  

Last question-Gellis: 

Spoiler

In Scotland, right? I think that the actress looks older than mid-twenties MMV. They must meet again in the 1960s , right?

If you really want to know:

Spoiler

Yes, in Scotland. Claire seeks out Geillis in 1968 or so.  Geillis has spent a great deal of time trying to work out what is necessary to harness the power of time travel and has come to some rather horrific conclusions.  Claire sees Geillis go back in time, but cannot stop her.  Geillis actually ends up going back a few years earlier than Claire gets there; that is why she is able to marry Arthur and settle down in the village.

3 minutes ago, riverheightsnancy said:

Last question-Gellis: 

Hide contents

In Scotland, right? I think that the actress looks older than mid-twenties MMV. They must meet again in the 1960s , right?

Spoiler

Claire and someone else try to save G. from her own desire to time travel in 1968, since Claire knows what she knows about the witch trial. It's too late though. G. goes through, having heard Claire calling her name.

About the "Geillis is Claire's daughter" speculation...

Spoiler

It's entirely a result of the choices made in adapting the story for TV and isn't at all a mystery in the books. One of the biggest ressons (among many) is that Geillis a blonde in the books, while Claire's daughter is still a redhead.

(edited)
41 minutes ago, CalamityBoPeep said:
  Hide contents

Claire and someone else try to save G. from her own desire to time travel in 1968, since Claire knows what she knows about the witch trial. It's too late though. G. goes through, having heard Claire calling her name.

Spoiler

Does she  really try to save her though ?  I always thought it was her way to make sure the other people  believe her story . 

Edited by lianau
  • Love 1
(edited)
6 minutes ago, lianau said:
  Hide contents

Does she  really try to save her though ?  I always thought it was her way to make sure the other people  believer her story . 

Spoiler

I thought they were trying to save her, though she did leave the ultimate decision to... (can we do a spoiler within a spoiler? LOL)...

Spoiler

Roger.

Huh. Asked and answered. Yes, we can do a spoiler within a spoiler. Cool.

Edited by CalamityBoPeep

For the book readers in regards to Master Raymond.  Does he show up in any of the other books? Is he a relation to Claire or any of the other time travelers? And from which time period does he come from?

1 minute ago, greekmom said:

For the book readers in regards to Master Raymond.  Does he show up in any of the other books? Is he a relation to Claire or any of the other time travelers? And from which time period does he come from?

Aww, Master Raymond! ;) 

Spoiler

No, he doesn't show up in the main books again--although there is much mention of him and I expect him to show up again sometime, just hasn't happened yet--but there is a novella, The Space Between, where he makes a brief appearance and explains many things about the Compte and reveals some things about time travelers in general. 

As far as being a relation to Claire, it's not clear yet. It's been suggested he's at least part of the same "traveler" group as Claire. There's much still to be revealed about Claire's ancestry in the books.

And, it's not been stated explicitly yet, but I believe Master Raymond comes from a time further back in history. I'm guessing around the 1200s and somewhere in Eastern Europe maybe? This is just my feeling on this, though, Master Raymond hasn't been fully revealed in the books yet.

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, DittyDotDot said:

Aww, Master Raymond! ;) 

Hide contents

No, he doesn't show up in the main books again--although there is much mention of him and I expect him to show up again sometime, just hasn't happened yet--but there is a novella, The Space Between, where he makes a brief appearance and explains many things about the Compte and reveals some things about time travelers in general. 

As far as being a relation to Claire, it's not clear yet. It's been suggested he's at least part of the same "traveler" group as Claire. There's much still to be revealed about Claire's ancestry in the books.

And, it's not been stated explicitly yet, but I believe Master Raymond comes from a time further back in history. I'm guessing around the 1200s and somewhere in Eastern Europe maybe? This is just my feeling on this, though, Master Raymond hasn't been fully revealed in the books yet.

Spoiler

Didn't Diana post an early snippet a long while back, from the Master Raymond story she's said she wants to write? Like just a kernel that came to her, or something? I seem to remember reading a bit that made it seem that Raymond's origination time frame was somewhere around the Stone Age or something. I don't recall exactly, but it seems like it was pretty much a Hunter/Gatherer period. 

She doesn't seem to have a lot of Raymond's story lurking in her files (or at least not much that she's shared), but I feel like she's teased it somewhere. 

• Love 1

Master Raymond

Spoiler

He is ancient. Prehistoric times. There is a whole novella DG is writing. She posted some Daily Lines that do not spoil any of the books.

Read Space Between after Echo before MOBY.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, peacefrog said:

Master Raymond

Hide contents

He is ancient. Prehistoric times. There is a whole novella DG is writing. She posted some Daily Lines that do not spoil any of the books.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that. Thanks @peacefrog!

ETA: Also, interesting about Master Raymond. I'll have to go search out these snippets. I love Master Raymond and have been eagerly anticipating seeing him again.

Edited by DittyDotDot

In the episode Faith, when Claire goes to ask for Jamie's release from the Versailles, I thought the palace looked like the one that eventually became the Louvre, but there was mention in the thread about Versailles.  Where does the encounter take place?

4 hours ago, CalamityBoPeep said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Didn't Diana post an early snippet a long while back, from the Master Raymond story she's said she wants to write? Like just a kernel that came to her, or something? I seem to remember reading a bit that made it seem that Raymond's origination time frame was somewhere around the Stone Age or something. I don't recall exactly, but it seems like it was pretty much a Hunter/Gatherer period. 

She doesn't seem to have a lot of Raymond's story lurking in her files (or at least not much that she's shared), but I feel like she's teased it somewhere. 

I don't remember where I read it, but I did read that bit. Probably Facebook.

• Love 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, peacefrog said:

Master Raymond

Hide contents

I just happened upon this a couple weeks ago, when I was looking for more info about Master Raymond. (I haven't read "Space Between" yet. I need to get on that, considering I'm on my 3rd reading of the main book series.) From character FAQ on Diana's website:

Spoiler

Who/What is Master Raymond? What is his significance? (SPOILER)

Well, he’s a prehistoric time traveler. I think he came from somewhere about 400 BC or perhaps a bit earlier (not technically “prehistoric,” but they certainly weren’t using written records where he started out), and the 18th century is not his first stop.

He is–or was–a shaman, born with the ability to heal through empathy. He sees auras plainly; those with his power all have the blue light he has–born warriors, on the other hand, are red (so yes, “the red man” is iconic). He has a rather strong aversion to Vikings, owing to events that happened in his own time; hence his nervousness when he sees Jamie. He’s afraid of them, but he also realizes just what a strong life-force they have–that’s why he makes Claire invoke it (using the sexual and emotional link between her and Jamie) to heal her.

His descendants–a few of whom he meets now and then in his travels–have the blue light about them, too; in large degree or small, depending on their talents. So he knows Claire, when he sees her, as one of his great-great, etc. grand-daughters. And Gillian/Geillis is another–you notice she has Claire’s sense of plants, though she tends naturally to poison, rather than medicines.

We’ll see him again–though not in Jamie and Claire’s story, I don’t think. Master Raymond should get his own series of books, eventually.  So in fact, we’ll see Claire, Jamie, and Geillis again, then– but as secondary characters in Master Raymond’s story (you recall, Geillis mentions having met “one other” (time-traveler) in Voyager, but doesn’t tell Claire who it is).

Heaven knows just when we’ll get to that–in about ten years, at this rate–but we will get to it. <grin>

Edited by Dust Bunny
  • Love 7
(edited)
5 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

In the episode Faith, when Claire goes to ask for Jamie's release from the Versailles, I thought the palace looked like the one that eventually became the Louvre, but there was mention in the thread about Versailles.  Where does the encounter take place?

He's not being held in the Versailles. He's in the Bastille. Versailles is the palace, and the Bastille was the fort, which is in Paris.

Spoiler

I just find the speculation that Geilles is Bree, face palm worthy. I don't find it interesting or went "oooh, wow I never thought of that!" Then there's the whole incest thing.

Edited by kariyaki
Added spoiler tags
4 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

In the book,

Spoiler

I believe it's Versailles. I vaguely remember Claire walking down a hall of mirrors.

I don't know what they were trying to convey on the show--I'm really far behind.

14 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

He's not being held in the Versailles. He's in the Bastille. Versailles is the palace, and the Bastille was the fort, which is in Paris.

Reveal hidden contents

I just find the speculation that Geilles is Bree, face palm worthy. I don't find it interesting or went "oooh, wow I never thought of that!" Then there's the whole incest thing.

14 hours ago, toolazy said:

I think that Zoey meant that Claire goes to Versailles to petition Louis to free Jamie from the Bastille, but the building didn't look right to her. 

Yes, I wrote Versailles but meant Bastille.  And yes, I thought the building was the palace that became the Louvre, but I'm uncertain.  Thanks!

Here is my question for book readers, as I've only gotten through the 1st.

Is there any way Jack Randall and Frank could be the same person? In a weird time warpy way? Frank couldn't have babies, and BJR just got his balls cut open. Frank saw Jamie outside, so he clearly can see some sort of magic. Maybe at that moment, or something screwy, he ended up back in time and was BJR? Or in his time in the military when they were apart? I'm reaching, but I had that thought the other night. I'm hoping to read the books soon.

(edited)
2 minutes ago, maraleia said:

Does Jenny ever find out that Claire is a time traveler? Apologies if I've already asked this.

Spoiler

Yes, but not till waaaay later in the series.

Edited by DittyDotDot
On Wednesday, May 25, 2016 at 2:54 PM, AheadofStraight said:

Amers,

Hide contents

They are not the same people or at least that hasn't come up in the books. :)  Very creative, though!

Thank you! 

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Night Person said:

Thanks, too lazy!  Do we know how many more books are remaining in the series?

I don't think we do, really. Every time she's said how many, it has expanded. I think she quit saying sometime around book 4.

The last I heard, it was at least one more (book 9) but probably two.  She won't know until she's done with book 9.  If she keeps taking years and years to write them, I won't live long enough to read them all if she doesn't stop soon.

1 hour ago, toolazy said:

The last I heard, it was at least one more (book 9) but probably two.  She won't know until she's done with book 9.  If she keeps taking years and years to write them, I won't live long enough to read them all if she doesn't stop soon.

Yeah! Me too! :)

I was wondering about Leary (can't spell the actual and can't figure how the pronunciation relates to that spelling, but anyway), is it true that she is not that involved in the witch trail as noted in Season 1? If not, who was?

Spoiler

Why does Jamie marry her and how does that come about? What happens to her other husbands and what happens to her in the end? Does Jamie divorce her? 

The witch trial in the books plays out a bit differently than it did on screen. 

Spoiler

Similar to the show, Laoghaire is involved in the sense that she was aware that Geillis was about to be arrested and gave Claire a false note to make sure she was there and would get also get arrested. As I recall, she didn't testify, though. Father Bain did, though, for similar, but different reasons. And there was the changeling bit coupled with the testimony of a man who went on the rent-trip with them and witnessed something rather fantastical the show didn't do. 

But, as to your question, Claire wasn't meant to be caught up in the trial. She's just kinda swept along with the witch fever tide of it all by being at the wrong person at the wrong place at the wrong time (heh). But, she does figure out it was Laoghaire who sent her that false note and holds a grudge about it for sometime.