Type keyword(s) to search

Lois & Clark - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 12/22/2018 at 11:28 AM, BkWurm1 said:

Did you see the Arrowverse crossover that had Clark and Lois?  They were only in it in the first and last of the three nights but they had a nice little arc.  The episodes would all be on the CW App  

I did see that.  Lois and Clark were definitely very cute in it.

I was reading this thread last week, and there’s a little more love for S3/ S4 than I had, but those seasons do have their good points.  I just felt that the whole “Clark breaks up with Lois for her own good” storyline didn’t have a lot of finesse (I know Lois mentioned that she was, but I didn’t see her taking a ton more risks since she figured out that Clark was Superman).  It felt more like a stalling tactic that then led into Lois’s kidnapping, Lois’s amnesia, New Krypton, etc., rather than an issue that they had to work through organically.  And Clark just flat-out breaking up with Lois instead of maybe, say, having an argument about it where they’re in a bad place at the end of it, might have felt better.

I did like a lot of S3 episodes, though, because they had some great shippy moments in them in between all the stalling.  I did like the Jonathan Frakes/ Genie Francis one because Lois and Clark got to sort their issues out. The virtual reality episode was good, too.  And “Ordinary People” which I know was mentioned upthread is one of my favorites because Lois and Clark are impossibly cute together.  Her teaching him how to start a fire without heat vision is “so fluffy I’m gonna die!” (to quote Despicable Me).

3 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

It felt more like a stalling tactic that then led into Lois’s kidnapping, Lois’s amnesia, New Krypton, etc., rather than an issue that they had to work through organically.  And Clark just flat-out breaking up with Lois instead of maybe, say, having an argument about it where they’re in a bad place at the end of it, might have felt better.

You are not wrong.  

Does anyone remember this one episode when Clark and Lois were sitting in the park bummed because they lost the bad guy, and this cute little girl walked up to them and sweetly asked, “Superman, do you need a hug?” And of of course he gave her one. 😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍

It slays me that Dean Cain turned out to be such a douche.

• Love 5
On 9/17/2022 at 2:01 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Does anyone remember this one episode when Clark and Lois were sitting in the park bummed because they lost the bad guy, and this cute little girl walked up to them and sweetly asked, “Superman, do you need a hug?” And of of course he gave her one. 😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍

This one? 

Wanna hug?

It amuses me that I still use this show as an example of writers ship stalling and having no idea how to have the main couple be happy together. 

"At least it's not a kidnapping from a wedding/frog eating clone/amnesia/arranged marriage/invasion arc!" Whenever something ridiculous happens to a couple on a TV show. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 9/24/2022 at 9:44 AM, Featherhat said:

It amuses me that I still use this show as an example of writers ship stalling and having no idea how to have the main couple be happy together. 

"At least it's not a kidnapping from a wedding/frog eating clone/amnesia/arranged marriage/invasion arc!" Whenever something ridiculous happens to a couple on a TV show. 

Man, years ago WB actually had the episodes online (for free!) and I started a re-watch, but only got as far as ... middle of Season 3... I think. It was definitely before the wedding/clone stuff. I did watch the show when it originally aired, and I remember there was a clone but I really want to watch again to see if it was as bad as everyone says, LOL! I'll have to see if my local library has the DVDs.

On 9/17/2022 at 9:01 AM, Spartan Girl said:

UGH. I can separate him from his portrayal of Clark/Superman (he's still one of my favorite versions of the character), but yeah.

• Love 3

When news of Leslie Jordan dying last week broke, I thought about how my very first exposure to him was via this show.  He had a guest role in S1, but I best remember him from his S2 role as “Resplendent Man,” who at heart, just loved his mentally ill sister (played by Cindy Williams!).  He was such a charming and funny performer.  😔

On 9/24/2022 at 9:44 AM, Featherhat said:

The thing is, they had the right idea in the first couple of episodes in S3 in how to continue to do a romantic comedy show with Lois and Clark being together (including L&C taking a superpower-free vacation), until they profoundly lost the plot and ship-stalled all of S3 and into S4.  But after the “an angel officiates their wedding” episode (thanks, I hate it), they did settle down and do some stories in S4 with them happily married that weren’t bad on the relationship front.  But the overall quality was way too uneven and God-weddings are tough to come back from.

Superman & Lois nailed The Dynamic (tm) in their S1, and it was almost everything I ever wanted to see in a live-action Clois established relationship.  See, wishes can come true after 25 years, lol. 

• Love 2

It sucks that Dean Cain is ... problematic; because Superman's anniversary is going on right now, and in the few official montages I've seen, they keep omitting Lois & Clark.  😕

• Sad 3
On 4/18/2023 at 3:45 PM, Trini said:

It sucks that Dean Cain is ... problematic; because Superman's anniversary is going on right now, and in the few official montages I've seen, they keep omitting Lois & Clark.  😕

That kind of happens in my head, too, for the reason you mentioned. It is too bad, because at one point I loved the show.

• Like 3
On 6/14/2017 at 3:25 PM, BkWurm1 said:

I'd liked Superman before but Lois and Clark was the first time I really loved the character, the first time I felt he really worked as an identifiable guy.  But then, lol, Smallville just ratcheted up the angst and drama and I've been trying to get back to my love for the character since the end of season 8.

Try not to let Smallville, in all its craziness and backpedaling, ruin your love for Lois & Clark.

Heck, I'm trying not to let present day Dean Cain ruin my love for this show. It isn't easy.

On 12/22/2018 at 7:45 PM, Trini said:

There just doesn't seem to be much interest mixing rom-com and action tropes.

Which is too bad because it helps for there to be a counterpoint to the serious earth shattering drama and violence.

When Lois starts season 4 alone and talking to herself, it's funny because we know how neurotic she was before falling for Clark. And its heartbreaking because we know she's barely holding it together with Clark on New Krypton. And we know he's struggling over there without her and in over his head and there's certainly political and military conflict on the horizon. But in the meantime, here's Lois, babbling away to herself...

...and then Clark pops up in her doorway and she ignores him, certain she's imagining things, and then he kisses her and they banter between smooches about what's going on with the Kryptonians, as his counselor watches on awkwardly LOL.

If you cut out the comedy from that, you'd have a painfully dry reunion scene. But because the show could be funny, it made the characters more real, more accessible and added layers to the drama.

I mean, later in that episode, Lois disguises herself as a trashy concubine just to get access to him on the Kryptonian ship, and she can't help but remark on how normal this custom apparently is for them. "I thought this was some advanced society....and look: I'm on a leash!" 🤣

Smallville did blend humor in, but it was often overworked and inconsistent. Lois & Clark had this fun couple at the center of these larger-than-life plots and that was why it was appealing. You knew these two and enjoyed watching them do anything together.

....one lingering question, though: did Dean get Teri to cheat, causing the end of her marriage? Or was the on-screen chemistry alone enough to make her hubby want a divorce?

It's never been clear...

• Like 2

30 years ago L&C premiered on ABC.   

I really enjoyed the show during its 4 seasons but wished the original show runner  Deborah Joy Levine would have stayed after season 1.  I wasn't a fan of the retooling of the show in mid-season 1 where they shifted the focus away from the L&C romance to a more action oriented show.  I remember the fans complaining and the ratings dropping so they reversed course midway in season 2 and the ratings went back up, but still I would have preferred to see the original creator's vision played out since she certainly would not have given us the frog eating clone storyline! 

I know that TH and DC often get praises for their portrayals of L&C, but John Shea was also great Lex Luther.    

• Like 2
On 5/3/2023 at 8:17 AM, DisneyBoy said:

....one lingering question, though: did Dean get Teri to cheat, causing the end of her marriage? Or was the on-screen chemistry alone enough to make her hubby want a divorce?

It's never been clear...

If they did have a thing on set (I have no idea) then it would be less of a case of him "getting" Teri to cheat and more her choosing to. No one can make anyone have an affair unless assault or coercion is involved.

Plenty of on screen couples who have great on screen chemistry have been indifferent to each other or actively disliked each other and the tension comes across as attraction on screen and you'd think an actor's SO would know that. 

I do love this show, they are my definitive L&C. I still say "at least it wasn't as bad as the wedding/frog eating clone/amnesia/New Krypton arc on L&C" about frustrating storylines. Good times! 

I think if DJL hadn't left then Lois wouldn't have found out he's Superman, because I remember watching the DVD extras a long time ago and her saying she had been planning to keep her in the dark. I do like the drama and comedy of her not knowing in the first two seasons but her finding out lead to some great eps as well and opened up new storylines and more for TH to do. Plus "who's asking Clark or Superman?" is one of my favourite scenes/cliffhangers on TV. 

• Like 1

So WB put a bunch of their stuff on Tubi, so I'm finally able to continue my re-watch.

Decided to start with Season 2; it might take me a while to get to the frog-eating, but I'm looking forward to it... kinda - LOL!

I knew they recast Jimmy, but I'd forgotten that Cat Grant was also dropped after Season 1. Looking at it from today's perspective, I wish they'd had a better gender balance in the cast.

And after watching shows like The Flash and Supergirl, it's nice to see an superhero actually do their day job.

(edited)

Almost 3/4 through Season 2; and okay, maybe the show was slightly cheesier than I remembered. Some episodes more than others. This happenss with female characters/actresses all the time, but I hadn't realized how much they played up the sex appeal of Clark in this. As opposed to him being a "mild-mannered" nerd in most adaptations before this.

And I've really noticed how they had always had Clark (and some other male characters) in these boldly-patterned neckties. I'm sure it's partly a 90's thing; but I grew up in the 90's, and I don't remember that being a specific trend. (But maybe that's just me.)

The whole thing with bringing in Mayson as an alternative love interest for Clark was a good idea, but poorly executed. She wasn't even around enough, and she and Clark were barely together when she was there. They didn't show Clark caring enough about her, I think.

I've never really known much about the BTS of this show, but I wonder what the deal was with Lex Luthor only returning for one episode? At the very least, I think it should have been a two-parter, after building up his return in the first half of the season. Was that all that John Shea was willing to do, for whatever reasons?

Edited by Trini

Finally finished Season 2, and I'd forgotten that they ended the finale without Lois actually answering Clark's proposal! That was a crazy cliffhanger!

Anyway, I thought that the subplot with Scardino as a love interest for Lois played out WAY better than the one with Mayson. They didn't even try with that one.

I'd mentioned cheesiness before, but actually the episodes near the end of the season weren't so cheesy.

And it's cool to recognize some of the guest actors they had on; Adam West (!!) in that episode where Superman gets sued was great! Probably the closest they got to having Batman on the show.

I'm about a third of the way into Season 3, and yep; this is definitely where Teen Me fell in love with this couple! Lois and Clark are adorable; it sucks when they fight; also adorable when the Kents give relationship advice; they actually talk about their feelings! There's really not many (any?) other shows that actually explore what it means to be a superhero couple.

And again it's been a hoot to see who guest starred on this show -- Jonathan Frakes! Shelley Long!

For various reasons (but mostly budget for sure), they couldn't use Superman's more famous villains from the comics in the show; so it's interesting seeing how they had to find different ways to create threats for Superman.

I know clone shenanigans is coming up later, but the season is good so far.

I'm up to S2, episode 14; so the next set starts the clone arc. Didn't realize it (and the aftermath) took up so much of the rest of the season. And then they start the New Krypton arc as well.

Random notes:

Hey! Cress Williams as a villain! So Black Lightning wasn't his first time in a DC universe! Don't think they fully accomplished it, but you can tell some effort was made to be culturally sensitive (for the 90s at least) in that episode.

I had remembered that there was an episode where Clark admitted that he was a virgin to Lois, and that there was a virtual reality episode that even back then I thought was dumb; however I did not remember they were the same episode! I guess it's good that I'm a "completist", because I was seriously thinking of skipping that one.

Interesting that they had a plot with neo-nazis and it's still relevant today.

For some reason, I thought the show had introduced Lana Lang in Season 1, not season 3. Surprised she was only in one episode.