Type keyword(s) to search

All Stars Season 4 Anticipation

• Start Topic

I'm pretty sure Dom's sundress was the only thing Belks produced. I wondered at the time if her getting pulled in to supporting Helen's jihad during her victory lap didn't hurt her brand, and I still wonder.

Isn't her correct title "the beautiful Georgina Chapman"?  :):)

It is going to be epic to see Michelle having to interact with both Kate and Patricia again and I espcially hope Patricia at least mentions how two faced Michaelle was to her but she probably won't because Patricia seems like an actual mature adult.

I also can't wait to watch Helen implode at having to deal with Alexandria again--she still mentions Alexandria on her twitter in extremely unkind ways.  I just hope Alexandrai doesn't give her the time of day.

It will be good to see Chris March, Justin, Fabio and Dmitry again--they are all very talented and drama-free which is a blessing in itself.

Edited by kitmerlot1213
  • Love 3

It is going to be epic to see Michelle having to interact with both Kate and Patricia again and I espcially hope Patricia at least mentions how two faced Michaelle was to her but she probably won't because Patricia seems like an actual mature adult.

I also can't wait to watch Helen implode at having to deal with Alexandria again--she still mentions Alexandria on her twitter.  I just hope Alexandria doesn't give her the time of day.

I don't know that Kate has anything to say about bullying after her behavior on the reunion special.

What I can't wait to see is how Tim deals with it when his thug pets decide they don't like each other and announce that they're being picked on.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 1

Isn't her correct title "the beautiful Georgina Chapman"?  :):)

To this day I wonder if the contract/rider for her actually had this as an explicit condition, or if some suck up on the show staff ran with it and then forced multiple hosts to use it.

In all fairness, she is not always referred to as "the beautiful Georgina Chapman". Sometimes she's "the gorgeous" and sometimes she's "the stunning."

And yes, I think Mr. Weinstein has more than a little to do with this, and I suspect that "The Beautiful" is a little embarrassed.

• Love 2

In all fairness, she is not always referred to as "the beautiful Georgina Chapman". Sometimes she's "the gorgeous" and sometimes she's "the stunning."

And yes, I think Mr. Weinstein has more than a little to do with this, and I suspect that "The Beautiful" is a little embarrassed.

I doubt that.  If she was really embarrassed by it I doubt there'd be any way they'd continue to do it, no matter what Weinstein instructed. Unless she's literally so cowed by Weinstein that she'd be afraid to bring it up.

• Love 3

I am hoping Michelle and Helen do not like each other at all. And if there's a battle that comes from that, I'm firmly Team Michelle. I'm thinking since Kate and Michelle did not like each other, and Kate and Helen are such big buddies now, or were, there's a good possibility for some Michelle/Helen friction.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, on the Season 11 reunion special, MIchelle and Patricia had made their peace. I think Michelle said she had grown to respect her and they were now friendly.

The Beautiful Georgina Chapman drives me crazy, too; and yes, if she really didn't love it, it wouldn't be said. It may have come, originally, as a Weinstein directive, but obviously she's so insecure she needs to hear it every week. Sad, really, because she is lovely to look at, but it's ruined for me with the constant affirmation of her beauty.

Okay, I wasn't, but now I'm really looking forward to this season of All-Stars, especially after original recipe season 13 (zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz).

Edited by PepperMonkey

Also, if I'm not mistaken, on the Season 11 reunion special, MIchelle and Patricia had made their peace. I think Michelle said she had grown to respect her and they were now friendly.

I will believe it when I see it--Michelle does not seem to be a person that lets past grievances go and it seemed that the entirety of the reunion show was Michelle rolling her eyes and making faces at the other designers when they spoke.  The only exception being Amanda.

And constant affirmation of someone's beauty is annoying--Georgina has a lot more to be proud of then how she looks and I hope she realizes it.

• Love 2

If fashion is really the nasty, insular high school cafeteria they portray on this show, Georgina Chapman might not want to give up the weekly televised reminders that her powerful husband is willing to make people grovel for her. 

I would love to see an All Stars season where they bring back the strangest designers like the woman who blessed her designs by spitting on them, the Japanese guy who left early on his own a couple of seasons ago (Kooan?). You could include Sandhya as well. Even the normal challenges, like the ones where they just have to design a gown, would be totally bananas!

• Love 8

The girl who marked her designs by spitting on them was Elisa and she was very sweet and not without talent, but this was Season Four, which had an amazingly deep bench of talent so she didn't last long. Kooan started out so cheerful and upbeat, but the judges' dismissal of his Tokyo-Pop inspired style as a joke did quite a number on his confidence and his pleasure in being there, so he withdrew.

I like your idea of a PR filled with people like that, who didn't seem to 'fit in' during their seasons, but a whole roster of them could be great fun for the whole family and result in some truly interesting designs.

But only if they get two days for each challenge.

• Love 5

What ever happened to the black female (even I can't remember her name)but she won and was gonna design for Belks(?) 

Dom is still designing and showed at NYFW for SS2015

Jay Sario, IIRC, made some comments about a model's physical characteristics after she said she didn't like his designs (or something of that nature). I remember thinking it was amazingly rude and childish of him at the time.

Jay called his model fat during one of the reunion specials. It appears he was a nasty piece of work behind the scenes but we never got to see most of it. This is why (can't recall designer) did not want to work with him.

I have no problem with Michelle. I don't think she was super warm and cuddly but I think the judges treated her like crap. She earned her win. 

I'll be watching at least the first 3 or 4 episodes. Can't say I'm really that excited about this cast. I'm more interested in the teen show Project Runway: Threads.

Edited by Milaxx

Dom is still designing and showed at NYFW for SS2015

Jay called his model fat during one of the reunion specials. It appears he was a nasty piece of work behind the scenes but we never got to see most of it. This is why (can't recall designer) did not want to work with him.

I have no problem with Michelle. I don't think she was super warm and cuddly but I think the judges treated her like crap. She earned her win. 

I'll be watching at least the first 3 or 4 episodes. Can't say I'm really that excited about this cast. I'm more interested in the teen show Project Runway: Threads.

I think there is a gulf between "not super warm and cuddly" and the attitude Michelle displayed.  Its the personality type for whom "keeping it real" is paramount and no one else's feelings matter but her own.  I'm not surprised the judges didn't like her, I'm surprised anyone in life likes her.  When you place a premium on being real, and being yourself all the time, then you accept the risk that your realness is going to bother other people.  Its why a person may hate their boss, but they still smile in their face and behave nicely.  Being real may be fun and feel good because you never have to hide anything but it is, at some point going to hurt others, and make people not like you, so she and her whines about others being treated better can suck it.

PR is a fashion competition, but its full of personalities, and to some degree that has to factor in.  I think if it was just meant to be a design competition we would only see their models walking the runway.  So I'm not a  fan of her clothing, and I find her insufferable so I don't think she deserved the win at all.

• Love 2

I think there is a gulf between "not super warm and cuddly" and the attitude Michelle displayed.  

I also think she was a bit delusional about her work. For Miranda Lambert, who is short, busty, and at the time was carrying a little extra weight around, she designed a narrow-shouldered closed-neck button up tunic with bare arms and a fringey thing cutting the line of the shoulders and bisecting her body from neck to knees over a maxi skirt. It made the tall waiflike model look chunky. When Miranda Lambert didn't like it, Michelle's response was that she made clothes for people she wanted to hang out with. 

It wasn't that the outfit was inappropriate for Miranda Lambert's body type or her height or the use she was going to put it to. It's that the the guest judge, who would be wearing the grossly inappropriate garment onstage at a country music concert, wasn't cool enough to wear Michelle's totes awesome Golden Girls outfit, just like Nina's instruction not to make a t-shirt and pants wasn't worth paying attention to because it was a totes awesome t-shirt and pants.

It'll be interesting to see how the All Stars panel reacts to all these mother ship judge's pets.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 2

I can find Chris March great fun.  But also can find him a bit grating if he goes all passive aggressive on the whole process.  I liked some of jay's work quite a bit so I'm glad to see someone who sent something down the runway more than once that had me give a little "wow". 

I don't care for Patricia.  Yeah I loathe Michelle.  But Patricia seems like she sets herself up as the "if you don't understand my vision, then you are mean and short sighted, and I feel sooooo very very bad for you, what with you being so mean and short sighted,"  A more charming and adept and less arrogant version of what we just got rid of this season.  More apples and oranges but still fruit.  I really can never buy into the whole "what I'm doing is so deep and spiritual and meaningful

" bit whether it comes from Patricia or from Helen.

Alexandria is another one I did not like what was done to her but it didn't make me like her.  Or her designs.  She also did the whole I did what the challenge demanded and if the judges don't get it, that is on them crap at least as far as my stunted and flawed perception of her season goes.

I do think they need to revisit what the term all-stars is and what it means.  If you bring back two winners then its not all-stars. Its two all-stars and a bunch of losers. 

• Love 4

They really don't have enough of a pool of talent to keep doing All-Stars which is why they have to settle for whoever will come back. Someone mentioned having show "weirdos" come back, which I would love. I thought Kooan was so sweet and I always liked Elisa... I could see Sandhya fitting into that as well.

I think it would be interesting to have all the designers who were out on the first challenge come back for a second chance. I know Daniel Franco already had a second chance, but I'd enjoy seeing him again.

Oh, and just to clarify, I'm not a huge Michelle fan, but if I had to choose between her and Helen, it would be Michelle every time. In Michelle's season, I thought she was smug and entitled, and her finale collection was so steampunk I was surprised she wasn't called out for that.

But I also think this show and/or the producers bring out the worst in everyone so I'm willing to give almost anyone a second chance. I shocked myself by ALMOST liking Kenley when she came back for All-Stars, but I can't ever see myself liking Helen. Ever.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 1

I think there is a gulf between "not super warm and cuddly" and the attitude Michelle displayed.  Its the personality type for whom "keeping it real" is paramount and no one else's feelings matter but her own.  I'm not surprised the judges didn't like her, I'm surprised anyone in life likes her.  When you place a premium on being real, and being yourself all the time, then you accept the risk that your realness is going to bother other people.  Its why a person may hate their boss, but they still smile in their face and behave nicely.  Being real may be fun and feel good because you never have to hide anything but it is, at some point going to hurt others, and make people not like you, so she and her whines about others being treated better can suck it.

PR is a fashion competition, but its full of personalities, and to some degree that has to factor in.  I think if it was just meant to be a design competition we would only see their models walking the runway.  So I'm not a  fan of her clothing, and I find her insufferable so I don't think she deserved the win at all.

I can't speak to liking or disliking a personality or a style aesthetic. However I recall when PR began it was more of a focus on Fashion as art as opposed to ready to wear easily accessible looks. Did I find Michelle friendly? Not at all. I also think she let her dislike for Patricia show all too clearly. However I think a large part of that was in due the the show's insistence on pairing them in ways that would spark that negative interaction more than necessary. Something we see more and more of in the Lifetime years. There have always been designers that make missteps. Rare is the PR winner who has not been in the bottom at least once. However with the move to Lifetime also came a greater emphasis on personalities. It showed in the casting and quality of the designers. I can't imagine designers like Sandro, or Ken being cast in those first 4 seasons. As far as deserving wins; for the longest time it felt that even though the show did all this crazy stuff when it came to NYFW the finalist were actually judge on fashion, not personality. For me this changed when they gave the win to Gretchen over Mondo. As a viewer and someone who is keenly interested in fashion it was all too obvious that Gretchen had been awarded the win, not because she had the best collection, but because Mondo had dared to go again Nina & Kors wishes and remove that polka dot dress and the head pieces from his finale collection. In short, they punished him for daring to go against them.  Since then the judging has been just as blantant and obviously in love with narratives and soundbites as opposed to fashion. Most noticeably when they awards Anya the win.  As for Michelle, she was sent home because she made what Nina declared was a tshirt. It was between her and Patricia for the auf. ( This was also the germination of what is now the Tim Gunn save.) Michelle was given a second chance.  

However when I look back at Patricia who has a niche aesthetic perhaps better left to smaller boutiques, Norman's unfinished watered down Herrera lite aesthetic, and Michelle's collection, on a pure fashion level I would choose Michelle. Everyday, allday.

I can't speak to liking or disliking a personality or a style aesthetic. However I recall when PR began it was more of a focus on Fashion as art as opposed to ready to wear easily accessible looks. Did I find Michelle friendly? Not at all. I also think she let her dislike for Patricia show all too clearly. However I think a large part of that was in due the the show's insistence on pairing them in ways that would spark that negative interaction more than necessary. Something we see more and more of in the Lifetime years. There have always been designers that make missteps. Rare is the PR winner who has not been in the bottom at least once. However with the move to Lifetime also came a greater emphasis on personalities. It showed in the casting and quality of the designers. I can't imagine designers like Sandro, or Ken being cast in those first 4 seasons. As far as deserving wins; for the longest time it felt that even though the show did all this crazy stuff when it came to NYFW the finalist were actually judge on fashion, not personality. For me this changed when they gave the win to Gretchen over Mondo. As a viewer and someone who is keenly interested in fashion it was all too obvious that Gretchen had been awarded the win, not because she had the best collection, but because Mondo had dared to go again Nina & Kors wishes and remove that polka dot dress and the head pieces from his finale collection. In short, they punished him for daring to go against them.  Since then the judging has been just as blantant and obviously in love with narratives and soundbites as opposed to fashion. Most noticeably when they awards Anya the win.  As for Michelle, she was sent home because she made what Nina declared was a tshirt. It was between her and Patricia for the auf. ( This was also the germination of what is now the Tim Gunn save.) Michelle was given a second chance.  

However when I look back at Patricia who has a niche aesthetic perhaps better left to smaller boutiques, Norman's unfinished watered down Herrera lite aesthetic, and Michelle's collection, on a pure fashion level I would choose Michelle. Everyday, allday.

Life normally puts adults in situations and pairings that they would rather not have.  Most adults grin and bear it and try to have a positive attitude.  Most do not insist that they must be themselves in every single situation, no matter whose feelings get hurt, no one congratulates themselves for having being themselves even when someone else was clearly hurt or when they have been hurtful.  To me, thats behaving like a child.  

And while, its always been up for debate, she made a tee shirt, which Nina specifically told her not to do.  I was glad they aufed her for that, because I don't think anyone should be above the rules.  And all she did was whine about it, well, maybe if she had followed the rules, she wouldn't have been in that position, so, IMO, she could go suck it.  If what a tee-shirt is is open for interpretation, then why even do something in the ballpark of a tee shirt?  Why? Because Michelle wanted to do whatever she wanted to do, and she found it unfair to be dinged for not following the rules.  Once again, that idea that what is of paramount importance, at all times, is that Michelle is keeping it real.  And god forbid anyone else keep it real and tell her that she didn't follow the rules so she is out.

As for the clothing, I wouldn't wear Michelle or Patricia's clothing, but if I was given the option of naked or having to pick, I would pick Patricia because I wouldn't even want to support Michelle.

• Love 2
Michelle's collection, on a pure fashion level I would choose Michelle. Everyday, allday.

Yeah I didn't particularly like Michelle that much, but I thought her collection was the best of her season and she deserved that win so therefore I was happy for her.  At the end of the day Project Runway boils down to the fashion for me.

And while, its always been up for debate, she made a tee shirt, which Nina specifically told her not to do.  I was glad they aufed her for that, because I don't think anyone should be above the rules.  And all she did was whine about it, well, maybe if she had followed the rules, she wouldn't have been in that position, so, IMO, she could go suck it.  If what a tee-shirt is is open for interpretation, then why even do something in the ballpark of a tee shirt?  Why? Because Michelle wanted to do whatever she wanted to do, and she found it unfair to be dinged for not following the rules.  Once again, that idea that what is of paramount importance, at all times, is that Michelle is keeping it real.  And god forbid anyone else keep it real and tell her that she didn't follow the rules so she is out.

Michelle wasn't aufed for it. They gave her a free pass into the next round and then auffed Layana, I believe, in the next episode. She then went on to win the entire show. It was one of the biggest injustices in the entire series and I tuned out after it happened because I knew she was their predetermined winner and couldn't take it. 

As for the clothing, I wouldn't wear Michelle or Patricia's clothing, but if I was given the option of naked or having to pick, I would pick Patricia because I wouldn't even want to support Michelle.

I couldn't remember the final collections, so I went back and looked. I wouldn't wear either of them (out of the three finalists, I really liked Stanley's stuff the best, but not being part of the Michelle-Patricia story, he never had a chance), although there are pieces of both I like. I really liked Patricia's horsehair cape thing, but I'm not tall enough to carry off something like that. That's not a petite person's outfit.

And there are parts of Michelle's clothes I like, but as soon as I saw the second outfit in rate the runway, all I could think was that the model looked like she was wearing a breastplate and had a bright yellow penis, and now I can't unthink or unsee it. And all the other dresses in that style now look the same to me (minus the bright yellow).

• Love 2

I don't know if this is the right place to post this - if not, I apologize in advance - but it has to do with Justin LeBlanc, who will be back on All Stars season 4 so here goes...

I was just rewatching my season 1 DVDs. I hate watching the finale because of the way Kara Saun acted over those damn custom designed and made shoes that she tried to sneak in and act like they were the same as shoes bought at Payless BOGO (although I still ADORE Jay's collection).

For Justin's finale collection, he made all of those accessories off the 3D printer at his university, and he talked about how many hours it took, etc. etc. So my question, if anyone knows, is: wouldn't he have had to pay for that? And if so, isn't printing off a 3D printer prohibitively expensive? Or at the very least, don't most colleges/ universities charge by the hour? Because it seems like that would be the same kind of favour that got Kara Saun in so much trouble over the shoes.

Just kinda curious; I've wondered about that since season 12....

I don't know if this is the right place to post this - if not, I apologize in advance - but it has to do with Justin LeBlanc, who will be back on All Stars season 4 so here goes...

I was just rewatching my season 1 DVDs. I hate watching the finale because of the way Kara Saun acted over those damn custom designed and made shoes that she tried to sneak in and act like they were the same as shoes bought at Payless BOGO (although I still ADORE Jay's collection).

For Justin's finale collection, he made all of those accessories off the 3D printer at his university, and he talked about how many hours it took, etc. etc. So my question, if anyone knows, is: wouldn't he have had to pay for that? And if so, isn't printing off a 3D printer prohibitively expensive? Or at the very least, don't most colleges/ universities charge by the hour? Because it seems like that would be the same kind of favour that got Kara Saun in so much trouble over the shoes.

Just kinda curious; I've wondered about that since season 12....

NCSU Alumni BlogYour collection for the finale at New York Fashion Week included accessories made with 3-D printing, earning a lot of praise from the judges. How did you come up with the idea?

Justin: When Heidi [Klum] announced that three of us were going back home to design a collection – that was when I had the idea. It just came to me. I knew we had 3-D printing technology at the College of Design. It’s expensive to use, but I had a budget of $9,000…..Of course there were a lot of errors; the machine has a mind of its own.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 1

Well that helps a bit, Julia, thank you for digging up that tidbit.

It didn't really look like he used uber expensive fabrics for his collection, so he must have stayed under budget or there would have been a big deal about it, I'm sure...

I'm imagining Helen would have gone ballistic.

Well that helps a bit, Julia, thank you for digging up that tidbit.

It didn't really look like he used uber expensive fabrics for his collection, so he must have stayed under budget or there would have been a big deal about it, I'm sure...

I'm imagining Helen would have gone ballistic.

ugh...Helen :(

• Love 2

Some mysterious predictions of future All Stars

kakLUA2.jpg

Glamourous edition

G6LfkAA.jpg

Os1U6TM.jpg

Jungle edition

Pd29Rdt.jpg

dlBHLus.jpg

International edition

XGcgXvS.jpg

pMuRFXw.jpg

Ultimate edition

uyCTMx0.jpg

IGDz5fl.jpg

Neglected edition

u7Dp54Z.jpg

8y4YoaR.jpg

I honestly agree to have an international edition to confort those foreign designers whose local show was cancelled and are unable to have their own allstars. This also reminds me: no UTG contestant this time? None of them are willing to return?

• Love 6

The fact that my beloved Santino is in TWO of those editions makes me verklempt!  Seriously, the titles of those challenges are absolutely brilliant.  

And I would literally PAY to watch "The Jungle Edition".   *LOL*

• Love 1

I just realized one big thing I'm looking forward to with this show that the latest regular episode twigged me to:

We should NOT hear any variations of the whine "You had your chance, but got eliminated...You don't deserve to be here....They shouldn't have brought you back...."

Because they are ALL being brought back.  The Korina/Char situation shouldn't happen.  Though I don't put it past the producers to introduce something new that's just as annoying to the audience!  ;)

Edited by leighdear

The fact that my beloved Santino is in TWO of those editions makes me verklempt!  Seriously, the titles of those challenges are absolutely brilliant.  

And I would literally PAY to watch "The Jungle Edition".   *LOL*

I just stumbled upon this and I would, too!  That elimination grid is brilliant - and probably very close to how it would play out...

In all truth, while I've watched every season, the only returning designer I remember is Dmitry, who was not only a wonderful designer deserving of his win, but--as TG called him with admiration--a true gentleman. The others have all faded from my memory. Perhaps seeing them will refresh my brain. Or maybe not.

• Love 1

Given that Wicked is one of my all-time favorite musicals, I'm excited for next week's episode (though from the preview where designers are drawing "good" or "wicked" out of a hat, it's unclear how much, if at all, the garments will be inspired by the musical).

I would love a PR challenge where designers reimagine costume ideas for Wicked.  The show's been running on Broadway for over 11 years now, and some of the costumes could definitely use a rework, such as:

wicked-costumes-shiz.jpg

Act I Elphaba, ready to enter the convent, and Act I G(a)linda, ready to sell Avon cosmetics to Madame Morrible, to help with her pasty complexion.

21.jpg

Elphaba's austere navy sleeveless "party dress" that looks like a community theatre costume and G(a)linda's overworked pink poofy dress.

Obviously it's unlikely that the Wicked costume design team would drastically change things at this point, but I'd like to see some fresh takes, especially on Act I costumes.

Given that Wicked is one of my all-time favorite musicals, I'm excited for next week's episode (though from the preview where designers are drawing "good" or "wicked" out of a hat, it's unclear how much, if at all, the garments will be inspired by the musical).

I would love a PR challenge where designers reimagine costume ideas for Wicked.  :

I loved the challenge in the first All Stars where they designed a costume for Godspell. Mondo's and Austin's offerings were absolutely stunning (Mondo's being one of my top 10 alltime PR designs), and everybody else did a passable-to-good job.

Unfortunately, I am suspecting they will just have to design anything they want around and come up with a story about how their "Girl" fits the Wicked/Good binary. But we will see!

Is this series ever going to pick up again? I am having a hard time recalling who is still there, also trouble caring. I kind of miss it because I watch so few shows regularly and it is a diversion. But a show like this really does not benefit from skipping two weeks...it is not great, Imo.

• Love 1

Is this series ever going to pick up again? I am having a hard time recalling who is still there, also trouble caring. I kind of miss it because I watch so few shows regularly and it is a diversion. But a show like this really does not benefit from skipping two weeks...it is not great, Imo.

Is it only two weeks they've been gone? If feels like a lot longer to me, I can barely remember any of it.

I agree.  I was surprised to see the "Little Women" being featured on Lifetime tonight.  I'd been looking forward to seeing the show.  Phooey.  I have no interest in the "Little Women of LA" or whatever they're calling it.  This season of Allstars has been anything but exciting but I'd rather see it. (every week there the hope that Michelle or Helen will get the boot)