Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E01: Week 1: Performance & Judging

• Start Topic

You know after seeing who was going to be on the show I was thinking it would be a lackluster season.

I'm surprised by how many routines I liked and Alfonso has to be my favorite. I agree with Len, dance of the night for sure. All 9s was very well deserved!

Still voting for Michael to go home first and Lolo second.

Edited by SanLynn
  • Love 1

Loved, loved Sadie and Mark!!!  She is just adorable.  I am glad that she did so well.  Lea was another who did very well.  And add Jonathan and Randy to that list for me as well.

I hate that LoLo had an off night.  I think she is just upset about not doing her best.

Hopefully Betsey will be the one to go.  Poor Tony, they just keep sticking him with duds,  And I couldn't believe that they brought out Cheech already.  That tells me that they don't think Tommy will be around too long.

I can't stand Janel's wardrobe.  Those boots were awful and totally distracted me from watching her dance.  The YouTube chick wasn't all that either.

On another note, Alfonso kicked butt!!

Antonio: Good but not fantastic. He did all the steps but seemed a little stiff.

Lea: Very graceful arms. At this point, she doesn't seem like a ringer. 

Janel: Mona was on Broadway? She danced like a former theatre kid with the way she was hitting those moves. I could have used a bit more grace.

Lolo: Really stiff. Like if they brought a mannequin to life to dance. 

Betsey: It was bubbly and fun but we didn't really have a chance to judge her with the mishap.

Tavis: Not fantastic. Maybe she didn't want to challenge him but there wasn't a lot of dancing in that choreography.

Sadie: She was surprisingly great. This is the kind of performance I'd expect a few weeks in. But guys, first you make her dance to Katy Perry and then you call her a "bird of paradise"?

Michael: Like Tavis there was a lot of not-dancing. The footwork was rough. The arms were not bad. Just lifting her and pulling her up or whatnot it was a little clumsy.

Jonathan: Adorable. Just so much fun. There could have been slight improvements but he has great legs for dancing and he has that looseness and flexibility you want from someone with long legs. It was loose without being sloppy. That was also a great dance for him. 

Tommy: Not bad. Not an especially difficult routine but what he did was very clean and fairly well executed.

Randy: I was not expecting him to be so good. He was very light on his feet and he supported his partner beautifully in a way that Michael didn't.

Bethany: Very good. Derek choreographed a very cute routine for her. I think she was a little better than Janel but I preferred Sadie to them both.

Alfonso: LOVED IT.

OK, I think I'm going to watch this season. I still don't think much of Lolo, Betsey, Tavis, and Michael but Jonathan, Randy, and Bethany were pleasant surprises. Lea was a bit of a letdown while Alfonso was as good as I expected him to be.

• Love 2

I wasn't really looking forward to this season thinking, eh I'll vote for Lea and Alfonso cuz I know them. Now I have tons of people I want to vote for! How did that happen?

I was totally charmed by Jonathan and Randy. I loved both of the new male pros. I'd love to see Keo stick around but I'm not feeling Lolo. Sorry third "sport" for her to choke in.

Alfonso! Man that was incredible! And I even was completely amused by Tommy Chong which I never thought I'd say. What is happening? Bizarro world!

• Love 2

Alfonso is damn entertaining. They staged it to where it felt like he had just won Prom King and was giving a speech to the masses. He lived up to the expectations, and I am watching him again before bed. 

Now that the episode is over, besides Alfonso, the stand-outs for me were Tommy Chong and Jonathan Bennett. Couldn't have predicted that...

• Love 2

I just noticed Silver Spoons co-star Rick Schroeder was in the audience cheering for Alfonso. How cool!

I'm really happy with tonight's premiere. Aside from a couple of clunkers (Lolo and Michael I'm looking at you) I thought everyone did pretty well.

• Love 4

Ok,  I kept noticing that whenever the contestants were clapping for all the other performances, Derek's partner Bethany had the B-face for every one of the performers that may be a threat to her.  I think that she had assumed it's in the bag because of who her partner is, and now she's not so sure.  Tommy surprised me in a good way.  Betsey - :/

• Love 2
I don't like Michael, but I feel like he will be hard to get rid of with his Nascar fans.

Well, I'm a NASCAR fan and I can't stand him.  Loud, annoying, obnoxious famewhore.  I think there might be a lot of fans who feel the same way.  Hope he's first out.

• Love 2

Someone needs to make a meme of Lolo's bitchface while the judges were praising Sadie. I seriously lol'd when I saw that.

Speaking of Sadie, did not agree with the two 9s. I thought she did great for someone who hadn't danced before, but it wasn't 9-worthy to me.

I loved Chong! He's hilarious. I was surprised by how well he did. I want him to stick around.

I have a soft spot in my heart for Alfonso, so I'm really rooting for him. I don't care if he's a "ringer." His dance was easily the best of the night. Witney must be super thrilled she got him as her partner.

Edited by kelnic86
  • Love 5

Yeah, Alfonso did a lot of dancing on Silver Spoons as I remember. And I look forward to seeing the Calrton dance. Ringer? Maybe. But he's around my age, so I'm rooting for him.

ETA - I also like Sadie. My sister, a liberal Catholic who loves The View and thinks Morning Joe is really a Republican, can't stand her because she hates those Duck Dynasty people. When I asked her what she hates about them, she said it's because they kill animals. She said this while gnawing on a spare rib, so she's not a vegetarian or anything.

Edited by Runningwild
  • Love 7

Loved Alfonso, he's such a sweet and charming man and his dance was amazing.

I was also impressed by Sadie, she seems like very sweet girl and was having a lot of fun. 9-wothy? No, but good.

I also liked Tavis and Leah and found Bethany kind of annoying.

Chong was hilarious and he wasn't half bad.

I don't know what Antonio did to his face but what a huge mistake it was.

Randy was surprisingly light on his feet and Betsy, poor Betsy.

And Lolo, I've always found her annoying, and that didn't change tonight.

Loved Alfonso, he's such a sweet and charming man and his dance was amazing.

I was also impressed by Sadie, she seems like very sweet girl and was having a lot of fun. 9-wothy? No, but good.

I also liked Tavis and Leah and found Bethany kind of annoying.

Chong was hilarious and he wasn't half bad.

I don't know what Antonio did to his face but what a huge mistake it was.

Randy was surprisingly light on his feet and Betsy, poor Betsy.

And Lolo, I've always found her annoying, and that didn't change tonight.

Wow, I've no words for Alfonzo's brilliance, that was a spectacular dance and Whitney really impressed me with the choreography, and I didn't even mind the song for once.

Karina may have found another diamond in the rough. I remember how she and J.R. surprised everyone the first week with a standard dance that was very good and certainly surprising to see how well he moved, so maybe this is a second go around with Randy. He seems humble and genuine, which is nice.

The Jonathan kid really does seem like the male version of Alison, not sure if that's a good thing or not yet, heh, but he did decently well though Alison was pulling a massive Derek, imo, over-dancing with him. She could tone it down a little, or a lot. 

Chong, what can I say really-at 76 we should all move so well and fluid. Those hips were working, I was really surprised,  and I didn't have to watch through my fingers cringing the entire time, even if Peta was in a teddy.

Derek's partner seems a little...off to me, I am not sure, like a living barbie doll. Her energy lapses were strange to me as well.

That dumb Duck family needs to go away, though I don't mind the daughter's personality, I am not even sure she has one to tell the truth because she's so young and sheltered, she didn't impress me very much and Mark's hair is starting to eat his head.

Lolo needs to stop all the focus on her non-existent sex life and learn how to be gracious for once, imo. She just doesn't know when to shut up or better yet keep her mouth shut. Keo looked so lost, not knowing how to help her get back into the dance or how to handle her afterwards. I think he's a sweetheart and a very good dancer so to me he's been wasted on her.

Artem was lovely and so was Lea, I thought their dance was very elegant and well done.

• Love 6

I really think this is Alfonso's to lose if he can stay injury free.  He was amazing!  Plus at least we would be giving a mirrorball to a different pro.  Witney has grown on me a lot too.

Overall I'd say Alfonso, Randy and Tommy were my faves but plenty of others had potential as well.  I liked Jonathan way more than I was expecting.

I assume tomorrow either Betsey or Lolo will leave, but I'm hoping it's Lolo.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 1

I was most surprised by Tommy and the MMA Fighter, Tommy had some great hip action for an old guy and the fighter was smooth and sexy. 

Janel was pretty good, but wow she's exactly like Mona IRL. Jonathan's cute and energetic but I think he was more memorable with that shot of his eyes bugging out his head. 

I felt bad for Betsey when they messed up, she wasn't doing too bad. Lea had great fluidity with her arms. Youtube girl and Duck Dynasty girl were decent. 

I expected Alfonso to do well since they were saving him for the last dance. He's got dance skills so it was the best dance of the night. 

I'm hoping Lolo goes home, she does not look like she's having at fun at all. 

• Love 2

I don't suppose, given the tongue bath and the ridiculous 9s, that there's any hope that the DD twit will be the first to go home?  I'll take Lolo another week over having to see her father and his stupid beard and dumb bandana in the audience again.  I thought she did okay but not great, and I just dislike what her family stands for enough that I don't want to see them get any more air time than they absolutely have to.  Can't stand that family, and for all their show of praying about everything, they are surprisingly un-Christian. 

Lolo was a disappointment, and she needs to learn to keep her mouth shut, but I think she has some potential.  Antonio is another who seems like he could be good.  Loved Lea, Janel, Randy, Jonathan and Alfonso.  I thought the rest did at least a decent to good job, and many were surprisingly fun to watch.  Really enjoyed Keo and Artem as new pros.  Honestly not sure about Allison.  She did okay, but I've never thought she did that great at ballroom.  I don't know what it is exactly, but I think on some level she reminds of Peta, which is not a good thing since I don't like Peta.  There's something that always seems too "aggressive" in her ballroom - more like she should be in the gym than in the ballroom.  I noticed it the couple of times she danced with Derek on the show.  Don't get me wrong - I love Allison generally.  Just not digging her as a ballroom dancer . . . yet anyway. 

Still really want the insipid DD kid gone.  Lolo means Keo, which is much preferable. 

• Love 2

I think this is going to be a YouTube season for me.  Will probably be keeping up with Alfonso, Lea and Randy, but don't care enough about the other competitors to watch the entire show.  Too much screaming, props, sets, pyrotechnics, and other clutter and noise.  Not enough dancing.  I know it was just week 1 tonight, but it seemed as if the dances were all just about 30-40 seconds or so.  Really light on content.  Yeah, I know I've officially joined the disgruntled geezer club.  Anyway, will be checking in here during the season to see which performances I should be watching each week.

• Love 1

Also I forgot, when did Carrie Ann share some of her crazy juice with Julianne? Good grief she was a mess, imo, for most of the night. She kept saying so many inappropriate things to the guys and I kept thinking her boobs were going to escape that horrible dress they stuffed her in. She is still fairly young but she acts even younger than her age which, to me, just shouldn't be at this point. She should be able to be far more professional and less ditzy I guess is the word I'm thinking of.

Also, Carrie Ann saying that she tries to keep her behavior professional for the most part, right before she decided to act as if she wanted to lick Randy's ball head like a lollipop, since the hell when? She's lucky everyone didn't just give her major side eye for that.

• Love 8

Lolo needs to stop all the focus on her non-existent sex life and learn how to be gracious for once, imo. She just doesn't know when to shut up or better yet keep her mouth shut. Keo looked so lost, not knowing how to help her get back into the dance or how to handle her afterwards. I think he's a sweetheart and a very good dancer so to me he's been wasted on her.

Yeah. I was seriously cringing at Lolo while she was at the judges table. That was really awkward. Doesn't she know you don't talk over the judges? And she kept doing it over and over. I don't think she smiled once during the whole show. I get she was upset that she messed up and all, but she looked whiny and not very humble imo. I don't think she came off well at all. I really liked Keo, though. I haven't heard of him prior to this show. But from what I saw of him tonight, he seemed really nice and gracious. I was hoping to see more of him. Even if he and Lolo make it through tomorrow, it'll be a real struggle for them to last beyond a couple of weeks.

Edited by kelnic86
  • Love 1

This is pretty accurate. She has no grace or poise or even the basic sense of when to shut up. Also, those Cha Cha walks she kept showing off after the fact weren't good. Keo is a great dancer and unlike some others, has the credentials to be here but as a new pro he just didn't have the skillset to fix a problem with an untrained uptight mess live. Its a shame. I want her to go home first but I'll miss him when he goes. 

I really think this is Alfonso's to lose if he can stay injury free.  He was amazing!  Plus at least we would be giving a mirrorball to a different pro.  Witney has grown on me a lot too.

I love Alfonso! I knew he'd be good, but he surprised me with how good he is. Witney has never been a favourite, because she's hammy, but he's a ham too so it balances out. Her choreography here was top notch. I am worried about Alfonso come Rumba time but he's popular, an amazing dancer and I think he and Witney have good chemistry. 

The other high for the night (see what I did there?) was Tommy Chong. I laughed so much and then was happy to see his dancing surpass my low expectations. He didn't really move his feet much, but he has swag.

I'm interested in seeing Lea, Janel, Tavis, Randy, Aaron Samuels and Sadie develop. Any of them, plus Bethany who will get the Derek bump are interesting enough that I want them to stick around and grow as dancers.

I think Betsey was underscored. I know she messed up at the end, but when you compare her to Lolo, there's no competition. She had better performance skills, handled the screwup with a better attitude, was more likeable and was less stiff in the hips.

Finally, I like Julianne as a judge. Its nice having another person on the panel who actually knows something about ballroom dancing, but she looked a fight tonight. That dress was bad, her eyebrows are too penciled in, her roots are major and she needs a brighter lip. Show, fix her. She has poor personal style. I've seen TLo cover her over the years and she needs someone to step in and dress and style her like the 26 year old woman that she is. 

Alfonso killed it. Gosh, I can take or leave Whitney, but I'll keep her if it means keeping Alfonso.

Jonathan is adorable and I'd like to see more from him, even if I can't remember his partner's name. Allison?

I really want to see more from Keo, so it's a shame that Lolo is so ... stiff and awkward and combative and not good. :/ Better luck next time, Keo.

I was surprised by Randy, and by Tommy. It'll be interesting to see how Tommy does with over-the-top-sex(y) Peta. Antonio was kind of forgettable but he might be able to make a move if he lasts a couple weeks.

The girls all kind of meshed together for me. I don't know their names at this point - just Duck Dynasty daughter, YouTuber, Pretty Little Liar. They're all kinda the same as far as I'm concerned.

Lea was pretty good. She might get lost in the shuffle, but she would have done well in previous seasons.

• Love 2
I know it was just week 1 tonight, but it seemed as if the dances were all just about 30-40 seconds or so.

Noticed this as well. I think other than Alfonso's dance and Randy's, everyone else felt like a blink and miss it to me. As is the case with this show, I'm doing a bunch of other things while it's airing live so I'll have to rewatch on the DVR to fully critique everyone's dances but off the top of my head, agree with others that the 9's for Sadie were way too high but she definitely has a natural rhythm and potential. Alfonso was predictably amazing and fun. Lolo was just tragic, like she might be to my memory, quite possibly the stiffest celebrity they've ever had.

Janel didn't impress me - I hated her costume and I think there was too much "messing around" (as Len would say) before they got to the actual jive content and it just came across as too much. Too much with the movements, too much with the flirty flirting, too much with the smiling - just too much. I think this may be a case of her being just a little too excited and overconfident so my suggestion to Val is to work on her toning it down and choreograph a dance that's just clean and sticking to the basics. At least for these first two weeks so she doesn't turn people off. 

Antonio is awfully pretty to look at but man, there was nothing happening with those hips. 

Derek's partner seems a little...off to me, I am not sure, like a living barbie doll. Her energy lapses were strange to me as well.

She's probably just not in great shape. It's the beauty of being 18, when your metabolism is amazing so you can stay tiny but not actually be in great shape. So she probably tires quickly. I also thought part of why she had the lapses was that she would get tentative at points in the dance, particularly when away from Derek - like she would start second guessing and looking to him for what to do next, so it was making her tentative. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

Chong, Randy and Alfonso for the finals, please.    YouTube girl grates...not feeling her at all.  So, is it always going to be a 4 panel of judges now?  It seems like a little bit of a time management situation--if Carrie Ann or someone goes on too long, the other 3 don't get too much time to talk...

• Love 1

Okay, okay, Alfonso was great and all, but can we take a second to acknowledge that he was dancing to the MOST ANNOYING EARWORM EVER? It immediately gave me bad flashbacks to season 8, when the cast did their group dance to that song and it proceeded to get stuck in my head for days. And it's happening again. Dammit, Alfonso and Witney. 

She's probably just not in great shape

I agree she probably isn't, I remember one of Alec's partners, she was a model I believe, frustrated the hell out of him on the show because she was rail thin and tall but had no stamina whatsoever because she didn't work out much, if at all.

What got me though with her that stuck out as being so odd was where the lapses appeared, normally the dancer goes pretty hard in the beginning and begins to trail off, a bit like Jonathan did, they have the high energy start and pace and then they fade towards the end, but she had these pauses in-between, but perhaps that was her way of conserving energy.

Keo is a great dancer and unlike some others, has the credentials to be here but as a new pro he just didn't have the skillset to fix a problem with an untrained uptight mess live

That's what I thought as well, I think he was completely taken aback at how she reacted. It's one thing to be mad at yourself for forgetting the routine and screwing up, but the sore loser act she pulled out of her ass was highly unfortunate. What a way to start your first season, I just hope Keo gets plenty of chances to shine in pro dances to come because he really is good, I've seen his work and as you said his credentials are incredibly legit, the kid has got it.

Okay, okay, Alfonso was great and all, but can we take a second to acknowledge that he was dancing to the MOST ANNOYING EARWORM EVER? It immediately gave me bad flashbacks to season 8, when the cast did their group dance to that song and it proceeded to get stuck in my head for days. And it's happening again. Dammit, Alfonso and Witney.

I remember when the song first came out, don't date me...it was everywhere for the longest time, heh, it was just one of those beats you couldn't get rid of, even if you wanted to.

Edited by CPP83

I hope Keo doesn't become the new Tristan--the cute newcomer who keeps getting saddled with partners destined for a quick exit. Lolo was the only dancer tonight I didn't enjoy. I actually think her decision to hold out for marriage before having sex is rather admirable, but really, if you're that uncomfortable with the sexy side of dancing, why do the show?

Lea irked me with all the girlish giggling and flirting, but she did a good dance.

Why does Tony keep getting the old ladies? At least Betsey has energy and spirit, though. I hope she'll be back to show what she can really do. That cartwheel and split were impressive!

The guys all look pretty good, even the older ones. It'll be hard to pick one to root for!

• Love 2

I was stunned by the heat Randy was projecting at Karina - I'm pretty sure he was mostly just covering nerves, but that's not how my romance-meter registered it.  I didn't expect to be so impressed.

Witney told us that she was the youngest pro and then she told us that she was half the age of her partner.  They are trying for the new Julianne, but Witney is not as good a dancer.  She is a good choreographer though.  I still can't stand her (so that IS like Julianne.)

Did anybody listen to Lacey's livestream? How was it?

Is Julianne saying, yeah I agree with Len, all the time so that he can leave the show and everyone will accept her as HIS replacement?

I was kind of surprised I pretty much enjoyed all the dancers except for Lolo. Alfonso killed it, I also wondered how Randy would do on DWTS, he was pretty damn good! I won't let unfamiliarity of some of the dancers scare me off, I'm in for this season!

• Love 1
Honestly, I went from liking [Janel] to kind of hating her in the space of that one segment.

This explains my reaction to her perfectly.  I like Val, and I really like the new South African guy, but can't stand their partners.  Oh, well.

[Julianne] is still fairly young but she acts even younger than her age

.Too bad she looks twice her age.   I do, however, appreciate that she offers actual dance critiques.

• Love 1

Production wise it seemed like they were having an off time. Do we usually see the DTWS Crew during interviews? You can clearly see the crew member go up to Michael Waltrip during Mark and Sadie's interview to tell him that he's next and then they leave to go get ready. 

Lolo, wow! Talk about rude, awkward, bitchy. Her face during Sadie and Mark's applause when the judges were gushing was pure bitch face. Everyone else was smiling and clapping, Lolo's just staring down. I feel bad for her partner, but won't be sad to see her go next week. I feel like she'll probably make the rest of the cast the most uncomfortable, the rest all look like they're having fun. 

Sadie I loved, same with Alfonso. Alfonso I think always could dance, just from him dancing on Fresh Prince you could tell he could move.  Janel and Jonathan were good. Bethany wasn't that bad. 

Michael Waltrip seemed awkward, he's just so tall and the firesuit probably not a good idea. But he's a great character type person that I could see fans loving, because aside from racing he's funny and people like that. 

ETA - I also like Sadie. My sister, a liberal Catholic who loves The View and thinks Morning Joe is really a Republican, can't stand her because she hates those Duck Dynasty people. When I asked her what she hates about them, she said it's because they kill animals. She said this while gnawing on a spare rib, so she's not a vegetarian or anything.

How about they are closed minded, homophobic frauds who grew their hair and beards to put quotes around their redneck swamp dwelling persona despite the fact they're really well educated multi millionaires with couture clad prom queen wives and more money in the bank than most of us could dream about? Check out pics from a few years ago. It's all a complete put on. The beards and camouflage are as much a costume as the sequins on DWTS.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/dk-production/images/62464/large/23-robertson-brothers-without-beards-duck-dynasty-then-and-now-e1364400084151.jpg?1387594936

Edited by SteveAC10
  • Love 24

Why does Tony keep getting the old ladies? At least Betsey has energy and spirit, though. I hope she'll be back to show what she can really do. That cartwheel and split were impressive!

I've gotten the sense, watching on and off, that he seems to be pretty understanding and even-tempered as an instructor and a partner so they don't just put him with old ladies but contestants who might be difficult for one reason or another. Either they're "personalities" or they might struggle more with dancing (maybe because of their age) so they put them with someone patient and nice. 

Tom looks to be fed up already with Bruno’s comments.  When Bruno was critiquing Antonio’s dance, the camera was on Tom’s face and he seemed to have a look of impatience.

Wouldn't you be? That reminds me, when Lolo was being... awful, Tom quickly diffused her toxic energy with a joke. I think it might have been the joke about texting and dancing. I thought... and that's why they pay him the big bucks (no idea if that's true, but he deserves it). It takes a capable host to not just know when to break in but know how to do so effectively.

• Love 1

I'm also a Nascar fan, but I'm definitely NOT a fan of anything named Waltrip. And there are a lot of Nascar fans who feel the same.

Could not stand Julianne and her impersonation of Bruno, standing up and gesturing. Plus, her silly little girl voice is irritating. Did anyone notice that at the beginning of the show, they showed Julianne clapping, and her boobs were clapping in unison?

• Love 2

I'm not familiar with Lolo, but she seems like Hope Solo 2.0. Hope she's gone too, not interested in watching her try to redeem herself (because I have a feeling she won't)

I immediately thought of Hope Solo when she was dancing. She had the same weird stiff leg stomp and dead face. 

Julianne's squished boobs were distracting me for most of the night. Seriously, that has to hurt. 

Tommy Chong completely stole the night for me. His intro package was hilarious, the dance and song selection were killer, and it was just fun. I like the soft pretty dances and the sexy dances, but it's the fun ones I love the most. It wasn't the fake, over the top, mouth open joy that I got from Derek's partner (I find her so annoying), but it was playful and happy. I really hope he sticks around for awhile.

Hellooooo, Randy. What a charming hunk on the dance floor. Loved Alfonso.

Whether they dance well or not, if they look like they're having fun, I'm a fan. Sadie was a surprise, as were Bethany and Tavis.

I'd forgotten just how bad the camerawork, or direction I guess, had gotten on this show. Yikes.

Alfonso was great and all, but Chong was the man of the night for me. I haven't had that much fun watching DWTS since Star Wars tango.

I was already dying of second-hand embarrassment for Lolo during her dance, but then she started talking. And kept talking.

I thought Allison way outdanced Jonathan, but I hope it was because she felt she had something to prove as a non-ballroom dancer and not because she's an attention hog.

I thought Lea's dance was gorgeous and can't believe she got lower scores than Duck Dynasty girl.

Every first episode of fall season I play a game called "who's had work done over the summer". I was appalled to see Sharna's lip injections! She was so gorgeous before and now she has that awful, lopsided trout pout. I also wonder about Julianne's boobs - I know she had some serious push up action going on, but those things looked so perfectly semi-spherical that I don't think any bra in the world can accomplish such a feat. Speaking of "work done", whenever I saw Gleb dancing into and out of commercial breaks I thought wistfully of Antonio before he did all that to his face.

I absolutely hate the new night club lighting.  Everything is black.  Dark.  This is supposed to be a fun show.  Having the performers popping and sparkly against a null background is much too stark.  Of course, it is no coinkydink that Derek got the brightest and most color-infused art direction of the night. 

I am super angry at the introduction of the small stage.  We need peeps with light sticks ON the full stage?  How much movement can there be on a 100 sq. ft. stage?  The jive performed was very good for an opening night.  But, the stage limited what they could have done.  It may well have been worth an extra point per judge.  More and more, dance is NOT the thing on this show.  

Tom was so pithy:  "Our newest judge is practically bursting."  Yes, Tom.  Yes, she was.  How needy is she?  Wow.

I was so glad to see Sharna.  I'll be shocked if she sticks around longer than three weeks, though.

Cheryl was ridiculously thin.  She finally has a real shot at another trophy.  I hope she is healthy.

The elimination of the announcer telling us who was dancing and which dance they were attempting further cheapened everything.  Less and less class every year.

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes
  • Love 2

Alfonso! He was fantastic and seems to have a great personality. This show would be boring without the ringers.

I like that Lea is confident in her dancing, plus she looks great for 53. Most of the older women come across as so unconfident and fearful, but she looked relaxed and like she was having a good time.

Other faves: Cheech, Randy, and Mean Girls guy

I had high hopes for Antonio, but his moves were lacking. Still hot and charming, though.

Janel, Sadie, and Bethany were good, but annoying so they can go now.

LoLo, nobody gives a damn about your virginity. Good like finding someone to marry you and your awful personality and bad, arrogant attitude. She looked like a big old marionette out there, like the characters in those creepy Comcast wireless cable commercials.

I've always liked Cheryl's curves and have never seen her this thin.

I was prepared to be bored tonight, but despite less than stellar dancing, I think there is a great fun vibe happening with this season's cast.

Edited by KittyS
  • Love 2

Best: Alfonso (as expected)

Dancers I enjoyed: Lea, Janel, Jonathan, Tommy, Randy, Bethany

Honorable mention: Betsey for her great attitude plus anyone who can do a cartwheel and a split at that age is amazing in my book.

Worst: Lolo

The rest: forgettable

I thought Allison way outdanced Jonathan, but I hope it was because she felt she had something to prove as a non-ballroom dancer and not because she's an attention hog.

What in the world is she doing on this show? As if there aren't enough qualified ballroom dancers out there? I don't get it.

Chong made the show for me! That routine was entertaining beyond the telling, and whoever chose "Drop It Like It's Hot" is a genius. 

I was prepared to hate Randy and laugh at how horrible he is, but dude had some moves and was radiating sex. Jesus, I feel like I'm in a parallel reality. He also seems like a nice guy who won't make me yell at my TV.

Lolo makes me want to yell at my TV. She needs to go.

• Love 1

Great first episode! I wanted to make a note to please watch it with the body snark. As I said elsewhere, there is plenty not to like about certain folks, no body snark needed.

Also this is DWTS not Duck Dynasty. Please take your comments about that show to their board.

• Love 1

Alfonso was okay, best first week ever? Not really,  and He's a total ringer. But no one is really complaining about that the way they did about Jennifer Grey or the pussy cat doll.

Male ringers usually make the finals but they don't win.  Female ringers normally win.  Maybe that's why people aren't complaining much. 

Edited by movement