Type keyword(s) to search

King Of The Nerds - General Discussion

EricJ
  • Start Topic

Oh hey!  That Eminem song where he makes fun of Moby suddenly makes SO much more sense now! 

Ha - that's what I was thinking too! I found myself wondering if Moby was playing a role or is actually that much of an asshole, and then realized I'm probably in agreement with Slim Shady. And in defense of Lisa Loeb, she said EXACTLY what I was thinking when I heard the line about "we're all nerds inside". Everyone's a nerd? Even the popular kids who make fun of the nerds? I guess when a nerd is ostracized, then, it's not because of his intense passion and knowledge about an "uncool" subject, but instead because he's fat/has acne/is unattractive/[insert physical imperfection]. Taking away the very identity of nerd I thought made for a shitty anthem. Their delivery was definitely better, but I way preferred the rap lyrics and dance.

Colby and his "it's my Scottish background" cracked me up. I must have a high tolerance for snark (and/or am kind of a jerk myself) because I love his commentary and hope he sticks around until the end.

• Love 4
  • Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loved Colby saying, "I'm a trivia guy and I don't even do that!" re: Moby. (Sorry, I'm terrible with names!) I also am not entirely sure of Moby's answer of prune juice. I know Worf loved prune juice and that there's some canon there, but I would have gone with bloodwine- eh, regardless Moby is a dick and acted as such. To argue such a lame point is tedious and pedantic. Huh, maybe that makes me tedious and pedantic...

Edited by Granimal
  • Love 3

I also am not entirely sure of Moby's answer of prune juice. I know Worf loved prune juice and that there's some canon there, but I would have gone with bloodwine- eh, regardless Moby is a dick and acted as such.

If Moby had been aiming for a test of Ori's TNG knowledge, he'd have asked what Worf called prune juice. Reversing the question makes no sense without providing a context (like specifying an Earth drink), unless he wanted to be a jerk and put Ori on the spot while putting down TNG with the "answer".

And in defense of Lisa Loeb, she said EXACTLY what I was thinking when I heard the line about "we're all nerds inside". Everyone's a nerd? Even the popular kids who make fun of the nerds?

It doesn't have to be an "uncool" subject; there's a such thing as a sports nerd. It's a song, so "everyone" should not be taken literally, but yes, the popular kids can technically be nerds too. Bullying is a matter of using whatever works; there doesn't have to be any consistency.

That Eminem song where he makes fun of Moby suddenly makes SO much more sense now!

Much of "Without Me" is pretty dumb - and intentionally offensive - however I would've paid good money to have one of the nerds shout "nobody listens to techno!" at him.  So Moby's point seems to be that Ori shouldn't have been rapping about something he doesn't actually do.  Ok... but since when has that been a requirement of rap in like, ever?  It's boasting - the lyrics are supposed to be somewhat exaggerated (if not wholly invented).  Does Moby think that, say, "Regulate" is an accurate historical account?  Now I'm kind of worried that he and Gwen Stefani have actually done a drive-by together...

Oh well - at least we finally got the annual Little Caesars banquet this episode!  Although, it looks like they may have cut the catering budget back this year - I only saw about $20 worth of pizza instead of the usual 30...  The plug tally graphic was a nice touch this time.

• Love 1

Seriously, corn snakes, ball pythons, garter snakes, and green snakes (couldn't tell if they were rough or smooth green snakes) and Ori was scared of them? I wish they'd stop the "Snakes are scary" stuff on TV shows! (I know it fits in with Indiana Jones, but ugh!). I was glad to see Colby win just because he didn't stop at the snakes.

The chances of me putting my hand into that pit of evil would have been akin to me splitting an atom whilst quoting Hamlet in Klingon. Snakes ARE evil. They don't have legs, yet they move. It's not NATURAL. Ack I'm getting the willies just typing this status.

So yeah. If I were on this show? Colby would have won by default.

• Love 1

If Moby had been aiming for a test of Ori's TNG knowledge, he'd have asked what Worf called prune juice. Reversing the question makes no sense without providing a context (like specifying an Earth drink), unless he wanted to be a jerk and put Ori on the spot while putting down TNG with the "answer".

It doesn't have to be an "uncool" subject; there's a such thing as a sports nerd. It's a song, so "everyone" should not be taken literally, but yes, the popular kids can technically be nerds too. Bullying is a matter of using whatever works; there doesn't have to be any consistency.

I'm probably just old-school and very Merriam-Webster in my definition of "nerd" ("an unstylish, unattractive, or socially inept person, especially one slavishly devoted to intellectual or academic pursuits"*). Someone who follows sports diligently probably I'd call a fan, or even fanatic. Someone who's super-into sabermetrics I might call a nerd, but there's the math element that circles is back around to a traditional nerd-ish area. In my own experience (good old high school!), being a nerd includes some element of social clueless-ness and/or outcast-ism. Awarding oneself with the appellation of "nerd" is like a red badge of courage earned through at least some experience of social shunning or visible awkwardness. But it may just be me. "You know me, Marge - I like my beer cold, my t.v. loud, and my homosexuals fuh-LAMING!"

*Never knew before that the word "nerd" was first seen in a Dr. Seuss book. Cool!

The chances of me putting my hand into that pit of evil would have been akin to me splitting an atom whilst quoting Hamlet in Klingon. Snakes ARE evil. They don't have legs, yet they move. It's not NATURAL. Ack I'm getting the willies just typing this status.

Hee - you have a true soulmate in Gene Belcher. I'm not excessively afraid of snakes, but surely would have had at least an initial limbic-system shock response of "WHOA!" before inching my hand in.

I'm probably just old-school and very Merriam-Webster in my definition of "nerd" ("an unstylish, unattractive, or socially inept person, especially one slavishly devoted to intellectual or academic pursuits"*). Someone who follows sports diligently probably I'd call a fan, or even fanatic.

I'm right there with you in remembering when "nerd" had a narrower usage. I think someone crosses the line between sports fan and sports nerd when they become annoying, perhaps by always showing off what they know.

As much as Colby annoyed me when he was (endlessly) on Jeopardy!, I really was rooting for him tonight.  This little clique thing going on is just mean, and what Heather said about not being able to choose between Jonathan and Amanda was extra mean to Colby.  Oh, I can't choose between the people I like, but Colby, you're dead meat!  Anyway, that comment in particular kind of pissed me off, so I was happy to see Colby wipe the floor with her in the nerd-off.

I loved the nerd party games, though!  I have no idea how they solved some of those pictionary drawings or charades.  It was impressive!

• Love 4

Colby's hyper-intensity during party games was hilarious. I know I sometimes get a little competitive during games that truly have little to no payoff, so I don't see any reason why there shouldn't be some intensity in - did they forget about the stakes? - a money-based competition.

Gah, though - his misspelling of "Manhattan" killed me! I get way too invested in this show. In every nerd-off my stomach gets tight and I'm practically biting my fingernails. 

• Love 1

How on earth is Rachel Lefevre a "celebrity nerd"? If you're going to count Twilight as a nerd thing (which I wouldn't), she was kicked out of that, anyway (or whatever the story was).  I was totally expecting Wil Wheaton, what with all the tabletop talk.  Regardless, I thought she was pretty adorable.

Jonathan had probably some of the best "talking head" clips in all of reality tv in this one ep, but Colby still managed to have at least one good one that makes me want him to stick around for a while.

I was amused when Heather calling Amanda's babies "loin fruit" in an interview so startled production that they asked her to clarify.  That said, she got stuck too long on trying to get the team to guess "The Neverending Story" by gesturing at Amanda and rocking a baby.  I don't know how I'd act that one out otherwise though--she should have passed, since that was an option, apparently.  

I like Colby.  I don't care if he sounds pompous.  I like Jonathan too.

Penn can toss atheist gibes out all he wants during non-competition time, but it wasn't fair that he yelled something while the actress I didn't know and have forgotten the name of was up there trying to compete.

I liked the touch that the boxes newly had airholes when they were shown indoors.

I never watch Jeopardy, but I love Colby on this show. He's very serious but seems like a genuine guy with a tough background. I felt bad when no one congratulated him on his win or even helped him study, but loved that he's killed it twice in the Nerd Off.

I don't dislike the rest of the group, but the clique is seriously annoying. I want to see them turn on each other more. See ya, Heather. I did like her standing up for Ori last week though.

My love for Robert Carradine will never diminish, but I did not need to see him in that costume, ha.

Edited by CrazyDog
  • Love 3

Despite my love of Jeopardy, I wasn't crazy about Colby coming into this season.  At this point though, with all of the crap getting thrown at him for not much reason at all, other than not being in the "cool" group, I am rooting for him hardcore (his Wire reference this week didn't hurt either!).  For how intelligent the casts on this show are supposed to be, it's awfully silly of them to make such a big alliance and then not think about how at least five out of the six of them will be eliminated before the end, if the remaining one person is lucky.  I hate to quote Johnny Bananas here, but he said it best a few weeks ago on the Challenge - if you're in an alliance with everyone, you're in an alliance with no one.  At this point they're just a group of friends reluctantly competing against each other.

• Love 3

At this point, I'm #TeamColby. I think the others dismissed him as being "just a trivia buff" and not a true nerd (and that happens a lot when you go into teaching-the assumption is that you're not good enough to do something else, not that it's something that you truly enjoy).  I'm hoping he sticks through to the end-as the alliance crumbles.

• Love 5

How on earth is Rachel Lefevre a "celebrity nerd"? If you're going to count Twilight as a nerd thing (which I wouldn't), she was kicked out of that, anyway (or whatever the story was).

I presume they meant that she's a nerd who's a celebrity (rather than a celebrity to nerds). She seemed to do well in the games.

At this point, I'm #TeamColby.

I'm #TeamAnyoneNotintheSecretSix. I want them all to lose. I'm fed up with alliances on these shows and want a show to finally turn everything upside down by penalizing people who make an alliance - something like they have to go into the nerd-off until they're all gone (or win, whatever). And only when they run out of alliance people, then they start voting who else goes in. I think this alliance particularly bugs because it goes against the Revenge of the Nerds theme of inclusion by excluding those who are the most obviously nerdy/different. Not cool, nerds. Not cool.

• Love 4

I'm glad the Secret Six is on the verge of being dissolved--if I want to watch a bunch of egos band together to pick off the "less worthy" players, I'll watch Survivor or Big Brother.  And don't use the "You're just too smart, I have to get rid of you!" line either...everyone is smart, that's not why the particular victim was chosen.

I just want all the nerds to have fun together.  I don't want strategy, I want everyone to be valued and appreciated.  Alliances just seems to degrade the premise.

**sigh**  Hi, my name's Abra, I live in a beautiful world full of butterflies and rainbows.

• Love 6

I wanted to give Colby a hug after he won the Nerd Off.  Through the magic of reality tv and armchair psychology, he seems like a guy who has never quite fit in with the people in his environment and has had to fight to get respect.  I never found him annoying on Jeopardy - just awkward.  There's only so much "wow I must scare them" a person can have in reaction to being voted into the Nerd Off week after week.  If it takes doing that to keep Colby mentally prepared to compete, I'm okay with it though. 

• Love 1

And don't use the "You're just too smart, I have to get rid of you!" line either...everyone is smart, that's not why the particular victim was chosen.

Wasn't it just last season a group tried that tactic against someone who was good enough to keep winning?

Through the magic of reality tv and armchair psychology, he seems like a guy who has never quite fit in with the people in his environment and has had to fight to get respect.

From what we've been told, it sounds like Colby grew up in the subculture where getting an education and working hard is considered a sucker's game since if you play it right you can just sponge off someone else (or the government) or make good money doing something illegal.

What a bunch of hypocrites -- going on and on about how being excluded is such a bad thing, and yet that's exactly what they did to Colby and to whoever else wasn't in their "Secret Six".  Colby really grew on me (though his smirk is still annoying), and I am sad to see him get crushed by that giant brain. 

On the other hand, smashing zombies with cricket bats?  Awesome!

• Love 2

I was sorry to see Colby go.  I liked his very dry sense of humor.  I guess now I'll root for Ben. 

I was idly watching the credits flash by after the program and noticed that one of the positions is "Dungeon master."  LOL  I wonder what he does.

• Love 1

What a bunch of hypocrites -- going on and on about how being excluded is such a bad thing, and yet that's exactly what they did to Colby and to whoever else wasn't in their "Secret Six". 

Seriously. I wanted to slap Raychelle with her earnest questioning about he felt. I do wish he'd answered their questions about how they could make him feel included by suggesting they stop voting him into the nerd offs.

• Love 3

I don't even know if I want to watch the last two episodes of this season. The whole secret six, alliances, and voting off the unwanted (not the threatening-I saw who they targeted, and it was definitely the most "nerdy" of the nerds) is totally opposed to everything that makes Revenge of the Nerds one of my top "Bad day" pick me up movies. It was just so middle school and mean-girl.

I guess I'll cheer for Kaitlin because she's the "Colby" of her team and if team Hoovooloo had lost the last few nerd wars, she'd have been the one with the target on her back.

At the same time, I loved the forensic science challenge because it's a true science challenge, and the marine biologist finally got a chance to shine (and I can well believe that he's very experienced at reading DNA-that's a BIG part of biology now).

• Love 1
I can't believe I am going to say this, because I found her so obnoxious and arrogant early on, but I think I am now rooting for NASA lady Kaitlin to win this thing.  It probably has more to do with her being on the outside looking in.

Me, too! Once the Secret Six thing started and I saw who was excluded, I wanted her to win. With a vengeance. She flat out said she wanted to win on merit alone, not because of what BFFs she's made.

ETA: I have found my people. I hate the alliance for all the reasons stated in the above posts. Seeing the people on the show (and the host) defend the alliance as "strategy" on Twitter just makes me smad (sad/mad). It's not strategy when the alliance is formed in less than 24 hours with people you like to hang out with most and excluding the people you don't immediately get along with. Plus, strategy would not require more than one expert in each area. They had what - 3 cosplay "experts" in the Secret Six?

Edited by Zanne
  • Love 5

Given the odds, I guess it was inevitable that Colby was dead meat soon enough, but the way he went out had me seeing red. I am really hoping someone with a better memory can correct mine, because I believe what happened in the first Nerd-Off round was they each picked a question level and answered it BEFORE any points reveal. Second round, only the girl got the question right. And then in the third and most important round, Colby chose his level first, THEN smashed zombies and had to reveal his points BEFORE the girl even chose her question level. (Sorry about the names, but frankly I don't know any of the Secret Sux's names - disrespect intended.) While there is a decent chance she would have taken a hard question anyway, this fucked-up chronology made me want to punch someone. Why did she get to know how many points were needed to in before she chose? Is that not an immense strategic advantage? Would it not have been equally cliff-hanger-y edit-wise if they'd just held the point cards closed until the end? Please tell me I'm mis-remembering the first round.

So far this season the nerd-offs have rewarded four correct answers (the subsequent godzilla smashing didn't add anything to the outcome), answering three riddles, matching four pairs of myths and symbols, placing "nerds of yore" in chronological order and solving a word jumble. All well and good; correct answers should be rewarded (particularly on this show).

Yet this week's winner was determined by a random number of points collected after questions were answered; it was possible someone could've lost even if they had answered more questions correctly (as was nearly the case with Lisa Loeb-alike). It was more annoying than a needle in a haystack task on The Amazing Race.

Make room for me on the Kaitlin train. I would have never guessed I'd be saying that after episode one.

• Love 3

Seriously. I wanted to slap Raychelle with her earnest questioning about he felt. I do wish he'd answered their questions about how they could make him feel included by suggesting they stop voting him into the nerd offs.

This completely.  Whether they meant it or not, that is some classic relational aggression, acting like they don't get why he might feel ostracized when they're the ones who are responsible for excluding him.  The fact that it wasn't even a thought in anyone's mind that *either* Jonathan or Amanda were going in and that Colby was a given as long as they lost the challenge was really fucked up.  I only wish Colby had called them out on it and tried to do some campaigning to argue that they should both have to prove themselves.  

It's clearly not about strategy, it's about who the "secret six" are friends with.  Good for Colby for at least making Amanda work for it.

• Love 4

I was hoping Colby would win the whole thing myself.  Having said that, I didn't think the others were voting him into the nerd-offs because they didn't like him or because of some complicated relationship thing.  I thought they saw him as the biggest threat, more a compliment than anything. 

I also didn't like Kaitlin after the first episode and now like her best of the women.  I also like Ben but I can't remember if he was in the Secret Six.  If so, Kaitlin gets my vote.

I also didn't like Kaitlin after the first episode and now like her best of the women. 

She's actually quite funny, and outside of the bragging she did in the talking heads, seemingly not that hard to get along with.

What a bunch of hypocrites -- going on and on about how being excluded is such a bad thing, and yet that's exactly what they did to Colby and to whoever else wasn't in their "Secret Six".  Colby really grew on me (though his smirk is still annoying), and I am sad to see him get crushed by that giant brain. 

On the other hand, smashing zombies with cricket bats?  Awesome!

Yeah, but what's the point of an alliance if you don't follow through?  I wouldn't respect them much if they went in to win and then were NOT proactive to eliminate someone who's a huge Jeopardy champion.

Yeah, but what's the point of an alliance if you don't follow through?  I wouldn't respect them much if they went in to win and then were NOT proactive to eliminate someone who's a huge Jeopardy champion.

Being a Jeopardy champion doesn't seem to be all that helpful in this scenario. Most of the nerd-offs have required very little smarts and more watched-an-episode-of-Xena or picked-up-a-book-at-one-point-in-their-lives knowledge, as well as relying heavily on chance (zombie/cricket bats). I think people would have less of a problem with Colby's loss if there had been no alliance tainting the process.

Pardon if I overstep my bounds here, but I don't think people are upset that an alliance is working as it should, but are angry at the fact that there is an alliance at all. Revenge of the the Nerds was all about inclusion, not exclusion (they even allowed Ogre in!), and this alliance has excluded the most stereotypically nerdy from its numbers. For the title King of the Nerds to mean something, they should all be trying to win on their own merit, not who is best friends with whom. This isn't Survivor or Big Brother, where alliances make sense. This is a show theoretically about outsiders getting their chance to shine, but when they get there, it's the same crap as the real world. One group deems itself better than the rest and starts taking down those that don't belong. The strategy excuse can only be stretched so far.

Let's look at it from a Firefly perspective - who were the bad guys? The Alliance. Who were the good guys? The Independents. We've got our answer from Joss Whedon himself.

• Love 6

I kept yelling at Amanda that no, she did not look like Michonne.  If she wants to brag about knowing horror, she shouldn't combine different zombie universes!  (I want to go watch Shaun of the Dead now.)  I also couldn't stand the whole "I'm going to win this because Heather was eliminated!"

Unless doing improv was part of a challenge, nothing in the world would get me to do improv Star Wars.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised that some of these nerds don't seem to understand that not everybody wants to be a spectacle. 

For no reason other than she plays Blizzard games, right now I'm rooting for Raychelle.

The reason the Revenge of the Nerds comparison doesn't work--can never REALLY work--is that RotN wasn't a situation where the nerds had to be competitive against each other.  Whereas KotN inherent IS.

• Love 1

Perhaps it is just me, but sometimes when these contestants talk (speach pattern) to each other, it comes off as scripted.  It doesn't seem remotely natural.  I am not talking about the Little Cesar's commercial that seems to be embedded into the show.

Sometimes contestants are aware of the cameras. Sometimes producers will reenact what happened if there are technical problems. I liked the "...please don't use this" LC scene because it actually seemed unscripted, which is rare for such a heavy-handed product placement.

Why did she get to know how many points were needed to in before she chose? Is that not an immense strategic advantage?

I think somebody figured out that they had screwed up the point values and Amanda needed to know where she stood. She may have picked a hard question anyway, but she shouldn't have had to after Colby missed one out of only three questions. If she had gone with a medium question again, she would likely have lost, at best tied.

I like it when contestants have paid enough attention to the show they're competing on to make a good guess as to what to expect. As it turns out, they should have been thinking a little broader when looking at the murder suspects, but it was enough to send in the right person to win against Colby.

I am not annoyed that the alliance worked.  I am annoyed that there is an alliance, and I'm annoyed that the people in the alliance are trying to pretend that they're not in an alliance and that they're not excluding other people.  You can't sneak around behind my back with your little alliance, then try to tell me that you like me too, and that you're not trying to be exclusive. 

• Love 2

Alliances can have value and are supposed to be a secret and have a limited membership. Being in one doesn't mean you can't be friends with those that aren't and those that aren't shouldn't take it personally that they were left out; chance is often a factor in membership.

Here's the thing, though.  No matter how secret you think your secret exclusive group is, the people who are being excluded know they're being excluded.  Especially in a tiny, closed community such as Nerdvana.  It was clear to me from Colby's language (verbal and physical) and from what Heather (? -- I've forgotten her name already -- the one Colby sent home in the nuclear nerd-off) said about not being able to choose between her friends, so she voted for Colby, that Colby knew very well that there was some clique he was not part of.  So, he was having none of the "Oh, we're not excluding you!" bullshit, when obviously they were.

What bothers me so much is not the clique (although it does), and the exclusion (although that does, too), but the denial of the exclusion.  To Colby's face.  And he was right to call them on it.

But it matters no more, since the Houses are dissovled and it's every nerd for him- or herself.

Go, Kaitlin!

• Love 2

What bothers me so much is not the clique (although it does), and the exclusion (although that does, too), but the denial of the exclusion.  To Colby's face.  And he was right to call them on it.

You have the alliance, cliques, and the group at large. When I would hear Colby talk about being excluded, it seemed like he was talking about the group, which I don't think was true. In a game like this people are going to be going off to strategize, and if you're the big competition, you have to expect that you're not going to be invited to that. No reason he couldn't have created his own alliance (except maybe enough egotism to think he didn't need one).

I don't know if I'm not making my point or what, but we seem to be talking at cross purposes.  My original and continued point is, if you are excluding me, and I know you're excluding me, don't try to tell me you aren't. 

On to the next show!

• Love 2

I think they were trying to exclude him from their game-specific alliance, while including him in the general goofing around in the house. That's a fine line to walk, and it's not always going to work.

• Love 1

The secret six is a clique and they are the worst. The thing that stuck out to me in this episode was how the secret six were all speaking to colby in first person plural. We want to be your friends. We understand. It was very hive mind. When I think about the way they act they are like a little flock of sheep constantly telling each other We're cool and nice so how could anyone think we're jerks.

• Love 3

The counter to this is that Colby very clearly expressed that he didn't much care about their socialization with each other.  We can't really say he caused his own exclusion, but the circumstances of why he wasn't even considered for the alliance made total sense.

The Secret Six original membership was all of the girls minus Kaitlin.  It made sense if you think of all of the times people on this same board (or TWoP) bemoaned this NOT happening in Survivor.  Kaitlin was not included, clearly, because in this kind of contest she would simply have dominated that group, and they knew it.

When them glommed onto a few guys to get a numerical advantage all around, you could see they excluded Ori, because he was totally uncontrollable, and Colby because he was kind of the male equivalent to Kaitlin, game-wise.  They added the guys they knew they could control, basically.  

Honestly, if the show really wanted to be about the equality of all Nerds and not have cliques and alliances, they could have easily tweaked the rules to remove any advantages of being in alliances.  But they setup the show with VOTING by the teams.  So we can whinge all we want and toss barbs at the contestants, but it's ultimately the fault of the Producers.  If you have a show with voting, you have a show with cliques and alliances.  End of story.  They made the show that way, and it had to be totally on purpose.  If the girls didn't have their alliance, then someone else would have. 

I presume they meant that she's a nerd who's a celebrity (rather than a celebrity to nerds). She seemed to do well in the games.

Either way, she totally won my heart when she jumped up and said she volunteered as tribute.

Loved the Hot Potato challenge, I want to play!  

I wonder how they're going to have people choose who to back - if they don't require it to be equal, it could get really interesting.  I'm curious to see how many cast-offs will back one of the remaining alliance members over Kaitlin.  Now that three of the six are in the final, they're outnumbered by non-alliance members.