Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers for Book 4: Balance

All spoilers, all the time.

From the Book 3 Spoiler Thread:

http://bryankonietzko.tumblr.com/post/97302394302/korranation-korra-is-heading-to-new-york-comic

Somebody has a new 'do!

This means there will be a time skip when the show premieres next month.  I'm curious as to why Korra (and possibly other members of the Krew) is getting new a new look.

My guess is that Asami will have talked Korra into cutting her hair in a "new do, new you" kind of way, to cheer her up. This shorter look is more like a bob, which fits the 20's-esque world LoK is in. I can see Asami talking Korra into trying out a more fashionable way to wear her hair.

Edited by PinkRibbons

The clip looks good.  I'm guessing Korra went to the SWT not only for family support, but perhaps for some additional healing from Katara. 

This shorter look is more like a bob, which fits the 20's-esque world LoK is in.

Her hair looks shoulder length, so it's not a bob. 

Here are examples of 20s bob cuts.

I'm curious as to why it was trimmed back. 

Speaking of tonsorial artistry, it seems Jinora is still bald as Aang so her hair hasn't grown back in yet.

I'd imagine that there would be a long civil war among the various factions

Didn't we already go through the civil war theme with the Water Tribes in season 2?   Still, it's be interesting to see how things go with The Earth Queen gone, BSS ravaged, and a bunch of wannabe warlords looking to take over.

ETA:

After seeing the trailer, it makes me that much more impatient to see the premiere!  I wasn't expecting a three year time jump!  Tenzin's kids look almost grown and Jinora looks as I predicted in the speculation thread!  I was surprised by the flying squirrel outfits on the Airbenders.  They look too modern for the 20s look of the series - but they seem more practical than the staffs.  The mechas are back and I do believe we got a glimpse of Zuko's daughter, who was seated next to him.  She looks younger than I imagined.  I figured she'd have been in her 50s to early 60s.

Edited by magicdog

Some observations of the trailer:

1.  Not only has Jinora grown out her hair, but so has Meelo.  I guess a shaved head isn't quite as prized in the Air Nation as it once was.

2.  During that brief scene with Su Yin, she was wearing what looked like a suit of armor.  So even if she didn't like what Kuvira was doing at that moment, it seems like she might have signed on at one time.

3.  Interesting moment with Opal standing among them in her airbender outfit, looking conflicted.

4.  Somehow I thought Zuko's daughter would look more badass.  Agewise, she seems to be the same age as Lin/Kya/Su Yin. 

Edited by Brn2bwild

Oooh! Time skip! I'm so excited. I love when shows do timeskips but the big ones only really happen in animation because y'know. Aging. 

I like Korra's new haircut from what I've seen of it. I imagine that the old would would get in the way a lot when Avataring and whatnot.

Well that doesn't look good ( I mean for Korra--it looks like a good clip).

Clearly she messed in the head rather badly.  Given things are not at all right for the residents of Avatar Town--I mean she once healed herself of being closed off from 3/4 of her powers, so a little mercury poisoning should be comparatively minor--if her head was screwed on straight, I mean--which clearly it isn't.

It could be metaphorical.  Korra knows that she is just hallucinating her Avatar-state self and is just trying to escape it, but keeps getting reminders.  She might not really be getting chained, but in her mind she is.

ETA: Prediction: At the very end of this episode, Korra will meet Toph, and we'll be left dangling another week before finding out what Toph looks like.

Edited by Brn2bwild

It could be metaphorical.  Korra knows that she is just hallucinating her Avatar-state self and is just trying to escape it, but keeps getting reminders.  She might not really be getting chained, but in her mind she is.

ETA: Prediction: At the very end of this episode, Korra will meet Toph, and we'll be left dangling another week before finding out what Toph looks like.

That would be cruel and I think you're right.

Here's a clip for Episode 5.  Looks pretty chilling.

What strikes me is how bitter Bataar Jr. seems to be toward Zaofu, claiming that it hasn't been his home for "a long time."  That suggests he has been feeling alienated for far longer than three years.  It would be interesting if it turned out he has long resented his seemingly perfect mom for various reasons, and was now acting out in a way similar to how Su acted out as a teenager.

Edited by Brn2bwild
  • Love 1

The part about Bolin makes me wonder just what they're counting on him for. I mean, I hope it's that they believe he will manage to mediate peaceful talks, which would be in his personality. But I wonder if Kuvira has an emergency plan in place for if Bolin turns. I really want to know how far Bolin has gotten with his lava-bending (and if he is in fact the only person known to be able to do it), whether Kuvira has been encouraging practice or deliberately distracting him away from learning. 'Cause there's a possibility here that Bolin is going to be Toph-level powerful. I don't think any army, no matter how well fitted-out, is gonna be able to keep marching when the ground turns into lava.

(And now I have a really funny image of my head of Toph standing calmy in front of Zaofu as the army approaches, cracking her neck and her fingers and grinning because she's about to annihilate. Bolin's also there, really freaked out, but doing what she says. Heh.)

That would have been kind of awesome if Su managed to see Kuvira and her son in a rather compromised position...

Seriously, for two people who are engaged, it's weird how infrequently they touch.  Even if it's not truly a love match, you'd think they would pretend a little.

Unless they're married (ex: Tenzin and Pema).  

Yes, but do we ever see it?  Has there been a scene that necessitated it, I mean?  There might have been, I just don't recall.

If I had to guess, I'd say the Spirit vines are upset at being chopped down and taking it out on whomever is handy.

Either that or this is their odd way of getting the Avatar's attention, since they can't exactly phone her.

New Clip Up!

Gotta wonder, what exactly is Kuvira getting from the relationship with Bataar Jr? I mean, other than the spirit cannon, which up until recently was Varrick's baby. Think she's really in love with him?

Likely not as much as he loves her but I always assumed so. I don't mind if she doesn't but, like you said PinkRibbons, there doesn't seem to be any other reasonable explanation for it. It doesn't seem to be for the Beifong connection since she already had his loyalty before things became romantic. If he didn't believe in her and her cause then he would have never left Zaofu. Additionally, because of Bataar's established loyalty she would have had access to his spirit cannon engineering skills without any romantic entanglement. Also, It doesn't seem to be for inheriting the Beifong name since her cult of personality is going gangbusters without it. Besides, the Beifong name/connection wouldn't really lend her regime any added legitimacy because the rest of the Beifongs are opposed to her.

I just interpreted Kuvira not saying I love you back to indicate her current priorities. Bataar Jr talked of conquering together because his love for Kuvira and his commitment to her cause have become one and the same. This is obviously not true for Kuvira because she is currently wearing baddie horse blinders and nothing can distract her from completing her deluxe wooden map puzzle of the Earth Republic. However, this doesn't mean that she doesn't love Bataar: she talked about ruling together once she has Republic City under her control. I guessed that she is basically thinking, "first make Republic City bend the knee, then write soliloquies to each other comparing his/her metalbending to a summer's day."

We saw that, despite all the raw feeling between Bataar and his family, he had an immediate and visceral response to his sister being in danger. But Kuvira is so committed that she wouldn't blink (ETA: if her and Bataar's roles in that scene were reversed). This difference and the sneak peek make me think Bataar Jr. is not long for this world.

Edited by 90 Day Pinochet

The expression on Kuvira's face suggests that she does love Baatar Jr., or at least feels safe with him. Regarding the weapons test, I don't know if there was enough time for her to react before the weapon went off, given that the energy was already about to shoot from the cannon.

The expression on Kuvira's face suggests that she does love Baatar Jr., or at least feels safe with him. Regarding the weapons test, I don't know if there was enough time for her to react before the weapon went off, given that the energy was already about to shoot from the cannon.

You are right regarding the weapons test and I should have been more clear. By "But Kuvira is so committed that she wouldn't blink" I meant if the roles were reversed I don't think she would have had a moment's hesitation. Sorry about the confusing phrasing.

I think the following episode made it clear where her priorities lie.

The logic was clearly that she didn't mind firing on his location, because it was a sure kill (she assumed) against the biggest threat against her. She didn't even consider the idea of simply sending an attack/rescue force.

I think the following episode made it clear where her priorities lie.

The logic was clearly that she didn't mind firing on his location, because it was a sure kill (she assumed) against the biggest threat against her. She didn't even consider the idea of simply sending an attack/rescue force.

Well sure, now we know that.  But when Opal was in the firing range, I don't think she had time to stop the weapon.  As for Baatar Jr, I think she did love him (in her own way) and felt safe with him... because he had always backed her up.  When he begged her to fall back, there was conflict in her eyes, but not enough to change her decision.  She loved Baatar... but she loved herself more.

I noticed that in the scene when the weapon was on Opal and Baatar wanted to halt it, Kuvira's back is to the camera the whole time, in what I suspect was a very deliberate move by the writers and animators. If we had seen what she thought of blowing Opal away, it would've taken away the little shock that came from her attempting to kill Baatar in the next episode.

• Love 1

Well sure, now we know that.  But when Opal was in the firing range, I don't think she had time to stop the weapon.  As for Baatar Jr, I think she did love him (in her own way) and felt safe with him... because he had always backed her up.  When he begged her to fall back, there was conflict in her eyes, but not enough to change her decision.  She loved Baatar... but she loved herself more.

I wasn't referring to Opal's situation, except in the sense that the following episode made her priorities clearer than what people had been using to speculate up till that point.

Firing on Junior's position while he was there showed her true priorities. The information she had about their location could have been used in two different ways: Rescue and Annihilation. She chose the later because Junior wasn't much of a priority for her. Sweeping her biggest enemies off the board and giving them no opportunity to escape was more important.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1