Type keyword(s) to search

Madame Secretary In The Media

• Start Topic

Just saw an item that Madam Secretary episodes will be shown on the WE channel, beginning March 7, 7:00 p.m.  Apparently on that date and again on March 14 there are MS marathons.  Don't know if that will be the norm or if it will settle down to a regular schedule.  It would be great if they were shown in order, but that doesn't happen too often.

Edited by schnauzergirl
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, kwnyc said:

Tim joins Tyne in Theresa Rebeck's new play downtown in NYC. (Cherry Lane is a LOVELY theater!)

Hmm... hint that they're expecting cancellation or will they work that into Daly's schedule? (They managed to work around his accident, so I have no doubt that they'd do that/be able to do that).

Edited by CheshireCat

Depends on the rehearsal schedule. Once they are in production, They can shoot during the day, and be onstage at night. (Another reason theater folks love it when TV shows are shot in NY.)

• Love 1

There's only a couple more weeks of filming for this season and then the actors have off until July. A play isn't necessarily a long term commitment. Their play could finish its run in June.

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, orza said:

There's only a couple more weeks of filming for this season and then the actors have off until July. A play isn't necessarily a long term commitment. Their play could finish its run in June.

The play is scheduled to run from November through December ;-)

• Love 1

Not really a good place to put this comment, but if anyone watches Jeopardy, the contestant who won today's episode really reminds me of Noodle. Voice sounds exactly the same and they physically have similar appearances. It was weird.

• Love 1
On 3/15/2018 at 9:46 PM, CheshireCat said:

The play is scheduled to run from November through December ;-)

They can make it work if both sides want to. Producers LOVE having TV stars in their casts (sells more tickets), and shows that shoot in NYC are often accommodating to people appearing onstage. So we may see a few scenes of: "I'm off to teach ethics, my love!" and then not hear from Henry for the rest of the episode, or if they have a few scripts ahead to work on, they could shoot all his scenes for a couple episodes on one day.

(edited)

Erich Bergen is in DC to promote funding for the arts. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/reliable-source/wp/2018/05/22/cause-celeb-madam-secretary-actor-erich-bergen-lobbies-for-arts-education/?utm_term=.76f8b9d08014

Interview from today https://www.c-span.org/video/?445932-6/washington-journal-erich-bergen-henry-donahue-discuss-federal-funding-arts-programs

Link to an interview he did yesterday (At least, I hope so. It's geo-blocked, so I can't confirm if it works. But there's a link on his twitter if this one doesn't work)  https://www.wusa9.com/video/opinion/editorials/off-script/offscripton9-madam-secretary-actor-erich-bergen-fights-for-arts-music-in-schools/65-8135739

Edited by CheshireCat

I've seen the preview where she loses Iowa at least three times. I know that in Real Life, presidential candidates who eventually win  almost always lose Iowa or New Hampshire (Clinton lost both in '92), but getting into the second term of a president means that the SoS job is almost through (the only cabinet member I know of who stayed through the transition to a different party's president was secretary of defense gates who stayed on through the first couple of years of Obama from Bush.

I think they're going to end the show.

15 minutes ago, CheshireCat said:

Short recap of the season finale and interview with McCreary and Hall about it  https://deadline.com/2019/04/madam-secretary-season-5-finale-spoilers-barbara-hall-lori-mcreary-tea-leoni-1202597944/

"DEADLINE: . . . When you plan these episodes and then watch the news and see similarities, do you get weirded out?

"HALL: I still get really weirded out — to borrow your phrase (laughs). . . . we’ll pick up on something that’s sort of in the news or just starting to be talked about and then we’ll game it out for the most dramatic conclusion. So there’s an explanation to why sometimes we run up against the headlines but there’s really no explanation why these stories break the week that episode aired."

Another interview with Hall and McCreary. They sound confident regarding renewal. Hopefully, they're right. I wanted at least five seasons but I'm not quite ready to let this show go just yet. I'd like one more season to bring us to an entirely new chapter in Bess' life (whichever way the election would go)  https://tvline.com/2019/04/22/madam-secretary-finale-recap-season-5-episode-20-elizabeth-announces-presidential-campaign/

• Love 2

I'd be happy if they gave them a sixth season with the understanding that it was the last; I want to see Bess in the WH, and the characters have earned a victory lap.

• Love 3
On May 9, 2019 at 6:05 PM, Calvada said:

I'm really surprised - I thought it was done.  

Let's just hope we don't wish it had ended here.
Elementary ended last season with what could have been a perfect end to the series, but is getting one more season too.

• Love 1

Will the show still be Madam Secretary?  Or will it be Madam Candidate or something?

I thought I'd de-followed this show?  Why am I still getting notifications?

Anyway, I'm going to go and de-follow properly.  I am quitting before Noodle "comes out".

4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Elementary ended last season with what could have been a perfect end to the series, but is getting one more season too.

I think if they end next season with her giving her inaugural address, that'd be the perfect end to the series.

With Elementary, CBS earns too much money for them to give it up that easily - I believe they earn like 85-100 million a year off of it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, bros402 said:

I think if they end next season with her giving her inaugural address, that'd be the perfect end to the series.

That is my hope as well! (I also kind of expected that they announce that this is the last season along with the renewal but maybe it'll be announced later).

14 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

If the production team (all producers, writers etc) stays the same, I think they'll be fine.

It struck me yesterday that Bess won't have to run in a primary, so I'm curious to see what they'll do with that. I'm generally curious to see what they're going to do with the campaign and how they'll include Conrad and Russell. (Conrad can hardly campaign for her in more or less every episode)

• Useful 1

If Henry and Stevie continue working for Conrad and Russell there will be story lines for them, with the rest of the characters working in the campaign. Bess can still jump in as the occasional special envoy, presidential advisor or secret negotiator to keep her relevant in government story lines. This might even open up more opportunities for Bess to work off the books with Foreign Minister Chen. He's a great character to keep around.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, bros402 said:

With Elementary, CBS earns too much money for them to give it up that easily - I believe they earn like 85-100 million a year off of it.

I'm sure the writing staff is feverishly coming up with scripts about how Elizabeth wins the presidency only through the sage advice, actions, and support of Henry.   

Elementary does make a ton of money for CBS internationally, and is a good lesson why US ratings don't mean everything when it comes to renewal.  

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Calvada said:

Elementary does make a ton of money for CBS internationally, and is a good lesson why US ratings don't mean everything when it comes to renewal.  

Last year someone mentioned somewhere that MSec is also quite popular internationally. (I have no idea if it's true). Plus, S4 and S5 had fairly similar ratings (even though MSec was delayed almost every Sunday this past season). No clue how the show's doing in L+7 ratings but there's so much that goes into it nowadays, it's really hard to predict what'll happen.

• Useful 1
3 HOURS AGO, ORZA SAID:

Foreign Minister Chen. He's a great character to keep around.

Is there any chance that Chen could be up for Prez of China at the same time that Elizabeth is campaigning? It could make a nice contrast.

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Is there any chance that Chen could be up for Prez of China at the same time that Elizabeth is campaigning? It could make a nice contrast.

I'm not going to say no, because this is TV Land and if they are going to go until the actual election, they will have to skip ahead (which bothers me more than it should, at the same time, I don't want them to rely on a 7th season and even less than that do I want Bess to campaign for more than one season (unless, they only get 13 episodes, then I hope they get a 7th season because a primary season and the GE seems like too much to squeeze into 13 episodes) and it's kind of interesting that it looks like MSec will go the West Wing route and speed up time in the final season). But Chen was hoping the current President would step down and he'll get nominated in ep 3 of S5. It didn't work out and Chen's assistant/aide mentioned that the current President will seek another 5 years (I think it was) and if memory serves, they hinted that he could seek a lifetime appointment.

• Useful 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, CheshireCat said:

But Chen was hoping the current President would step down and he'll get nominated in ep 3 of S5. It didn't work out and Chen's assistant/aide mentioned that the current President will seek another 5 years (I think it was) and if memory serves, they hinted that he could seek a lifetime appointment.

Moving my reply to the spec thread here https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/33202-spoilers-and-speculation/?do=findComment&comment=5284843

Edited by shapeshifter

Well, there it is. S6 will be the last and only 10 episodes. I'm good with it being the last. 10 episodes sounds a bit short to do what they said they plan to do but okay.  https://tvline.com/2019/05/15/madam-secretary-final-season-6-cancelled-cbs/

They will keep their time slot and, apparently, premiere in the fall, so I guess, they will finish before Christmas?! https://tvline.com/2019/05/15/cbs-fall-lineup-2019-young-sheldon/

• Useful 1
16 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

Well, there it is. S6 will be the last and only 10 episodes. I'm good with it being the last. 10 episodes sounds a bit short to do what they said they plan to do but okay.  https://tvline.com/2019/05/15/madam-secretary-final-season-6-cancelled-cbs/

They will keep their time slot and, apparently, premiere in the fall, so I guess, they will finish before Christmas?! https://tvline.com/2019/05/15/cbs-fall-lineup-2019-young-sheldon/

They'll probably premiere in October, first or second week. Probably take a week off for some sport in October/November and probably the week of thanksgiving, then it'd be done right at Christmas I think

• Useful 1
20 hours ago, bros402 said:

They'll probably premiere in October, first or second week. Probably take a week off for some sport in October/November and probably the week of thanksgiving, then it'd be done right at Christmas I think

My thoughts as well. They usually had 10 or 11 episodes before the winter break.

I just hope that 10 episodes will not make it feel rushed because they have so much ground to cover. That's currently my biggest concern :-P

On 5/16/2019 at 10:58 PM, CheshireCat said:

My thoughts as well. They usually had 10 or 11 episodes before the winter break.

I just hope that 10 episodes will not make it feel rushed because they have so much ground to cover. That's currently my biggest concern 😛

I bet they'll have the show skip ahead a bit in time, cover the primaries for 2-3 episodes at most, then the months leading up to the election for the bulk of the season (4-5 episodes), then 1 episode for the election, and one for the transition period, and 95% chance they end it on her giving her inauguration

5% - they end on a hopeful shot of like some kids in a museum in the future learning about president elizabeth mccord, or maybe some kids come into the white house and she talks to them about something

(edited)
2 hours ago, bros402 said:

I bet they'll have the show skip ahead a bit in time

One can hope 🙄

2 hours ago, bros402 said:

they end on a hopeful shot of like . . . maybe some kids come into the white house and she talks to them about something

Sure, but an almost apocacalyptic ending in which extremists win the election would be another acceptable finale for me.

11 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

The Association of National Advertisers has honored Madam Secretary with its SeeHer programming award. https://www.cbscorporation.com/cbs-madam-secretary-honored-with-2019-seeher-programming-award-from-association-of-national-advertisers/

Cool! And it's not based on votes:

its powerful data-driven research tool Gender Equality Measure™ (GEM™), which identifies unconscious bias in content and ads. GEM™ measures perceptions of how female actors are portrayed in the media by asking consumers key characteristics about gender. GEM™ is widely known as the global gold standard measurement for gender equality in media.

Edited by shapeshifter