Type keyword(s) to search

Key & Peele - General Discussion

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

I'm just discovering these guys and I like 'em. I've seen the tall one in various things - I think maybe Reno 911 - and I'm glad they are gaining visibility. I think they have a great, fresh talent.

Edited by pasdetrois

This definitely further confirms my opinion that Jordan Peele's lack of an Emmy nom is this year's worst snub. His Reginald VelJohnson was probably the funniest performance of last year.

• Love 3

I watched this on the bus to work this morning, and laughed myself silly.  Jordan Peele was amazing.  I also thought the reactions to MC Mom's video were great.  As I said to one of my co-workers today. They're going out on top, and these jokes will be quoted in office cubicles for years to come.

Edited by Febgirl
  • Love 1

MC Mom was very funny, but I think my favorite was the cold open. I don't know the last time I loved one of the opening sketches. I thought it was a funny, deep, subtle exploration of stereotypes and biased expectations. Everyone is so used to expecting gunfire when you see a black guy with something in his hand in a low rider. Only Keegan's character could see that Jordan was a buster with a cardboard car and a licorice gun. The only way Jordan's character is a threat is if you are so distracted by laughing at him that someone actually dangerous sneaks up and kills you.

Edited by HunterHunted

Yeah, that cold open was hilarious. 

I liked all of the sketches. MC Mom was fun. The two guys out scamming for money was fantastic. Loved their ridiculous lies.

I've never watched Undercover Boss, but that was pretty good. Again, Key's lies were great. "I have a rare condition that makes me unlikable."

Key as Andre 3000 was cracking me up.

I also loved the car accident sketch. 

I loved that Gremlins 2 sketch with Star Magic Jackson Jr. 

And the cold open? So good. "It does now occur to me that perhaps indeed I do play too much. I never intended to grab the dick."

I didn't really care for the sales meeting with Rob Riggle. Peele playing the character who doesn't understand the bagels are not for him -- deliberately misunderstanding? -- was pretty good, but I got tired of the rest, particularly Riggle.

And I liked Snitch. Again, Peele was great.

Oh, God, I'm going to miss this show.

That Neil DeGrasse Tyson impression was spot-on.  I'm not a DeGrasse Tyson fan because there's something about him that gets under my skin.  Maybe it's the underlying layer of...I don't know.  Arrogance might not be the right word but there is a smugness about him.  "I fucked Bill Nye the Science Guy!"  "You bitch."

The valets talking about (and acting out) Game of Thrones was great to, especially when they just drop down the hole at the end.

Loved the epicness with The Tailor and Package Operator sketches.  This is one thing the show has done super well and what I'll miss most - short, funny, and epic feeling sketches.

So next week's the final episode?  :(

The NDT pieces were fucking perfection - Peele did an amazing impression, and now has me thinking NDT just might be a serial killer.

The valets have always been my favorite recurring sketch, and GoT a favorite show... falling through the freakin' Moon Door! Dinklessssss!!!

• Love 1

. . .  and it turns out Peele can do a mean Neil DeGrasse Tyson. Anybody else feel cheated that this comes one week from the final episodes? I know that Neil probably wasn't on anyone's radar until he hosted Cosmos last year, but I figure he'd still be popular enough for the send-up.

I don't watch Game of Thrones, but I enjoyed the valets. Here's hoping we get Obama and Luther one last time next week.

• Love 1

Ugh, really, show? You have a brilliant NdGT impersonation, where he uses his Cosmos intelligence as his get out of jail free card, and now you're leaving us? Why, show, why?! No one else would think of that, much less pull it off so well.

Also, does the valet sketch mean Liam Neesons has been replaced by the Dinkles?

• Love 1

Am I the only one who was worried about Key actually choking on those marbles? 

I'm not astute enough to pick up on the theme of each episode -- maybe on second or third viewing, but I have to be told what to watch for.  It's because they're so damn good -- the makeup, music, acting, production values, the hysteria, the fun they're having. 

The show will be missed, but better to leave now than wait until they get tired, or have a falling out.  I'm old enough to remember the Martin-Lewis split and how disappointed we all were not to have any more from them.

• Love 2

I was concerned about that last huge mouthful of marbles too. That looked like a lot. I totally get how you'd want to shove them all in your mouth though.

The NDT was ok for me until the end with the Nye punchline, then it was hilarious. 

Tonight? I had a little panic and rushed to my listings, and I really think (after triple checking) the airing is tomorrow.

BTW, hilarious clip! Ha!

I will miss these guys. Seeing them other places will be good, but nothing will replace seeing them together, with their own brand of humor leading their own show. All the jobs I've seen them take so far have been either one or the other of them, an not both, and just fitting into someone else's vision.

/sniffles

I'm going to miss this brilliant show. It's so funny and clever and never what I expected. I understand they needed to make a change but the comedy scape on TV just got a lot less funny :(. 

/standing ovation for Key and Peele

• Love 5

They really have been saving Negrotown as they're big finale, right?

I was a bit confused wondering why they reused a sketch from a previous ep, but I guess I saw this online. Anyway, I didn't mind seeing it again.

Both eps were excellent. Meegan and Andre's "breakup" was fantastic. The Nazi sketch, the balls-on-the-chin sketch, the bloopers, even the conversations in the car were great. I really loved the Ray Parker Jr infomercial. Just excellent. Oh, and I loved the 911 sketch, too. Honestly, everything worked for me.

Of course the ending was perfect. I love that it was a complete surprise.

• Love 1

I'm so sad it's over.  This has just been an outstanding show.  They've changed me - I can't see the names Aaron or Denise without pronouncing them "A-A-Ron" and "Dee-Nice."  And Liam Neesons now has an s on the end of his name forever. The Negrotown sketch was hilarious but also managed to be poignant.  Man, I'm gonna miss this show.

• Love 4

Yes to the Liam Neesons and when I say it outloud to my friends their like...um that's Liam Neeson and I'm like NO it's not. They don't get what I mean...and then I feel sad.

But for me I still think the greatest moment for the show is "Black Shakespeare".  I tell everyone I know to watch that sketch and listen to the words and their speech patterns and the brilliant way they merged Iambic Pentameter with modern language. I laugh so hard and marvel at it's brilliance. 

• Love 2

The whole season-long car ride a set-up for a final punchline/callback. Brilliant.

One of the best things about the final season was the juxtaposition of some juvenile humor with the increasingly high production values in the skits.

• Love 1

My favorite part about them driving all the way out there to say that, was that they still looked around first, just to make sure. It's the attention to detail as much as the bigger ideas that I'll miss so much.

I saw the scene but I guess I missed the "that" that everyone is talking about. Could someone please fill me in? Thanks! :)

I don't remember the last time I laughed that hard at a trailer. It was like a great K&P sketch, with the promise of more!

The kitten visuals are killing me, especially that do-rag. Hilarious.

Also, best use of George Michael, probably ever.

• Love 3

I saw the ad yesterday and wondered what that was about. It sounds great, but I don't think I'll be able to watch it while watching the Super Bowl itself. Hopefully it will be available after the game.

ETA: I think I changed my mind. I'm going to have my laptop or tablet on the couch with me with my earphones plugged in. I watched all the little clips/promos on the RealTalk site, and this is going to be too funny to miss.

Edited by peeayebee
On 4/27/2016 at 1:18 PM, peeayebee said:

Anybody going to see Keanu? I think I'm going to try to catch it this weekend.

Did you get to see it peeayebee?  Is it worth spending theatre $$$, or is it better to wait till On-Demand?

I saw this morning that Keegan and Key and Peele have gotten several Emmy nominations again, although Jordan didn't get one for acting like Keegan did (which is disappointing).