Type keyword(s) to search

Key & Peele - General Discussion

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Ha Ha is amazing. I kept rewinding the little ESPN crawl to see if I had misread it. Not to mention Darqueze Dennard! The draft is proving K&P right that it's hard to come up with any names more outrageous than the ones that already exist.

That said, X-wing @Aliciousness is still my spirit animal.

• Love 2

I know this is short notice, but they're being interviewed tonight by Patton Oswalt at the Paley Center. Here's a link to the live stream which is supposed to start at 8:20 PT, 11:20 ET. 

(edited)

So I'm watching the US play Belgium in the World Cup, and I was thinking that the amazing goalkeeper reminded me of Key. Later I'm going thru my Twitter feed, and find this.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 1

Yes it's Key. I had a little brain fart. I changed it.

The Peele segment of tonight's Drunk History was online, so I watched it already. I just couldn't wait. It's excellent. 

• Love 1

Here's a little summary of their presentation at the Creative Arts Emmys:

Before announcing wins in various sound mixing categories, Key And Peele’s Keegan-Michael Key and Jordon Peele began with one of their trademark cross-talk acts – this time, Key waxed eloquent about the power of television to inspire, singing out Saturday Night Live and Eddie Murphy for inspiring his own career, while Peele complained they aren’t being paid a nickel and the producers sent an Uber car to pick them up, whose driver is “a hipster from Silver Lake” who “asked me for a five-star rating,” adding, “I’m doing his podcast on Thursday.”

• Love 2

I hope that the driving in a car bit was just for the first episode, as well. The shower felt...quieter without the crowd-segue. From the first viewing, my favorite sketches were with Obama and code-switching (which is totally a thing) and Key & Peele vs. Aliens/Stereotypes.

The pop-star-in-drag sketch made me a little uneasy, but I loved the rest of it. The button on the end of the redneck sketch was especially great, too (the N/A beer).

The new credits are amazing. But I do hope we get the audience back.

I loved every skit. I think my favorite was the gay wedding meeting. Every misconception the family had was hilarious, and I loved how the Key character was so patient at first then just lost it at the end. And Lance Reddick! Man, he was so funny. I've never seen him do comedy. 

The opening with the bank robber and getaway car was great. The aliens segment was great. The Army cadence song had the ending I anticipated, but it was funny, too. Obama greeting people, the rednecks being reasonable, the pop star -- "Being overly sexual and being strong are the same thing." -- the True Detective title sequence and the road trip, everything was outstanding.

I'm so glad the show is back.

• Love 2

The bank robber trying to unlock the door of the getaway car was so funny I couldn't stop laughing (maybe these guys should teach classes in how to write humorous skits?). They took something that we all have experienced (driver & passenger simultaneously, annoyingly trying to unlock a car door...a teethgrinding experience for sure) and turned it into something laugh-out-loud funny, complete with police sirens and the look of desperation on each character's face.  So simple, easy to produce (and no snarky-comments-with-deadpan-stares-into-the-camera a la SNL & other supposedly humorous shows).

OMG, the stinger after the credits when the SWAT guy says, "Press the button" was so timely. There was huge flame war on one of the Big Brother threads recently about the pronunciation of "button". There's the "buh-uhn" group, the "buh-inn" group, and the "but-ton" group and apparently never the twain shall meet.

And then Obama code-switching in the middle of an official reception line was also PTV on point because over on one of the soap groups recently someone insisted that Black people would never do that and it was stupid to have a soap character do something similar. Yeah, well, Key and Peele beg to differ...

"I loved their third album." And I love Key & Peele.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu

I found it kind of amusing that the family was so focused on their own hangups and preconceptions that they didn't even follow up on the religious aspect of a gay marriage or bring up some more practical issues like walking down the aisle.

I liked the sketch with the two rednecks in the bar.  Funny twist on stereotypes.

Well, not so much a twist if you're Asian American.

I would assume that the car thing was just a one-time thing, but I may be wrong. Perhaps they have heard that people don't like them, so they switched it up just to show what is lost when they are not there.

Every misconception the family had was hilarious,

Especially ironic, as the family represented a group who are themselves excessively stereotyped - and here they are, excessively stereotyping the "next/other" group. I see what you did there, K & P!

"I loved their third album."

In response to "what do you think of the police?" - I HOLLERED. I loved Zenyatta Mondatta, too!!

Dig the new opening credits, wouldn't mind losing the live audience for good.

The shower felt...quieter without the crowd-segue.

definitely the win for the BEST. TYPO. EVER. (We all make them but this is gorgeous!)

Loved the pop star - I've been having a lot of the same feelings and I wondered if I'm crazy or just old.  I see the way some young female (and male for that matter) pop stars behave- I'm no prude and I'm all for being comfortable with your own sexuality.  I also hate double standards.  On the one hand, I remember well how grups used to freak right out over our dance moves - (you know, the really sexy ones like the twist, the jerk, the bump, heh).   But when I see a little girl doing stripper moves, it makes me very uncomfortable.

What solider doesn't want to bond with his dog? Then the dog jumped in the cab, and I think I lost it. The "Lil Homie" bit was funny, as well as the sketch with the Nazis, but the quick shot with the dog was great.