Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: Smells Like King Spirit

Coming after this week's surprisingly good episode, I'm admittedly ambivalent about the cliche they busted out in the promo for this one:

Someone is going to DIE in the last two minutes -- oh no, who can it be ?

Come on, everyone knows it won't be any of the main characters so why even bother with this hyped up fakery that it will mean anything significant -- it's going to be Freddie's new love interest who's chest he was carving the symbol into at the end of the last episode. Or maybe Wendy's new boy toy.  Or Eva's dying grandmother/daughter.

It'd better be Eva or Caroline dying.....The Eva/Killian story has dragged on way too long and needs to end, so I won't keep thinking Freya is so completely blind and/or dumb.

Also, I'm hoping there's a plot twist with notSpike and they don't make him an all out villian, but chances of that happening are really slim, i suppose.

Holy shit! I did NOT see that ending coming. Ingrid and Freya are dead (for now)

Killian can just sit the fuck down and take a second to reflect on his own past behavior. Dash was wrong to hurt him that bad and let his boat drift off to sea, but for Christ's sake, Killian is not blameless in all of this. He went after Dash's fiancee on purpose, kissed her, and it wasn't the first time..

Thank goodness Eva is dead. Got tired of her. 

Edited by grandemocha
  • Love 5
Holy shit! I did NOT see that ending coming.

I didn't think they'd kill two thirds of the cast in the last two minutes. Damn. This has got a Torturewood, er Torchwood, body count. I know it's not going to stick for the Fab Four, and I'm sincerely wondering how they are going to pull that off. Oh well, I guess Deux et Odin for the win.

Three episodes left, I'm sure they'll undo it. But yeah, promoing about character death and having it actually be main characters really delivered, so kudos on the twist, show.

So for the rest: I really, really covet Wendy's room, particularly her bed. And we almost got a flash of Wendy's other kitty in that scene, I might add.

I really liked Ingrid and Freya's opening scene, especially the end where Freya rings the bell in the desk and, without looking away from her, Ingrid slowly moves her hand to the bell and stops the echo, hee.

Super interesting pregnancy test for Eva with that whole egg thing. What's wrong with EPT? And really, that's it for that storyline? Little anticlimactic. Mostly, what the hell was the point of all that?

And I was "oh shitting" about Ingrid and Dash's hidden corpse coming up from its watery depths until the garden reveal of Ingrid and Freya swinging from nooses. THAT was bigger.

• Love 1

I couldn't concentrate on most of the episode because I was wondering what happened to Freddie's girlfriend. Did I miss a wrap-up? Did she just take a quick shower and go home?

Agree that the girls come back, obviously. Good initial shock, though!

Edited by RedInk

Frederick apparently sent Caroline home perfectly intact, since (Mason? Really?) Tarkoff beat his ass over it.

And the ending of this episode being as much of a monster swerve as it was--seriously, that's the sort of thing you pull in a season finale--kind of hurts the rest of the episode in a way, IMO.  (Let alone the preview for next week, though that's a cliche at this point.)  That aside, though, this just might be the strongest episode of the season: every single plotline was advanced, everybody got something to do (or have done to them, if you're Tommy or Frederick), there were some modest character moments sprinkled hither and yon, and we finally got to see Joanna be just a little bit badass.

Holy shit! I did NOT see that ending coming. Ingrid and Freya are dead (for now)

Killian can just sit the fuck down and take a second to reflect on his own past behavior. Dash was wrong to hurt him that bad and let his boat drift off to sea, but for Christ's sake, Killian is not blameless in all of this. He went after Dash's fiancee on purpose, kissed her, and it wasn't the first time..

Note, of course, that nobody's brought that side of things up except Dash--and he was on Mandragora blood at the time.  Which reinforces that he's still the "bad" guy in this.  Ingrid freezing him out is a punctuation mark of sorts on that.

Edited by Bill C.

And the ending of this episode being as much of a monster swerve as it was--seriously, that's the sort of thing you pull in a season finale--kind of hurts the rest of the episode in a way, IMO.  (Let alone the preview for next week, though that's a cliche at this point.) 

One, I'm glad they decided to start showing previews again (did Lifetime give up on it's over-promotion of The Lottery?) and two, I'm glad they showed restraint in next week's promo by not showing Ingrid and Freya alive (as I'm sure they will be) and let their fate remain uncertain. A good many plot twists have been ruined by networks screwing it up with an ill-thought-out promo.

Note, of course, that nobody's brought that side of things up except Dash--and he was on Mandragora blood at the time.

What do you mean? That nobody should be bringing it up?

I mean yeah, it seems like the show is setting it up so that Dash becomes Archibald 2.0 but just because Freya and Killian and pretty much everyone are acting like "Oh darn, yeah too bad so sad for you Dash, but get the hell over it" doesn't mean that Freya and Killian didn't screw him over. 

Ingrid was definitely right that Dash shouldn't be coming clean just to be with her, and it's easy to see that he's struggling with that, but I still feel a little bad for him.

Cheating sucks, and when a character doesn't own up to their part in that, I find it hard to feel bad for them, which is the case for me and how I see Killian.

As for Joanna, I kind of hope we get to see some more "powerful" displays from her. I know special effects/ CGI can get insanely expensive for a show, but a little wire work would go a long way in my opinion.

Edited by grandemocha

I don't think cheating if you could call it that is on par with attempted murder but YMMV.

Solid episode. Did not expect the ending we got and if Tarkoff is really back next week, my respect for him as a villain will def go up a couple of notches.

I think the Eva storyline was mainly just an obstacle for Freya and Killian. I'm glad she didn't go out evil.

I'm excited to see how the girls are revived.

• Love 1

Yeah, that's going to be interesting.  Especially considering how they've played with death on this show--speaking of which: Eva in the end simply being desperate to survive was a nice and gentle swerve, but how the hell was her getting pregnant with a second child supposed to keep her alive?  That almost sounds like a sort of a curse...

And by extension it occurred to me that Dash was officially the last person to find out about the Beauchamp family curse.  Tommy doesn't count--he's got far more pressing problems.

I mean yeah, it seems like the show is setting it up so that Dash becomes Archibald 2.0 but just because Freya and Killian and pretty much everyone are acting like "Oh darn, yeah too bad so sad for you Dash, but get the hell over it" doesn't mean that Freya and Killian didn't screw him over. 

Ingrid was definitely right that Dash shouldn't be coming clean just to be with her, and it's easy to see that he's struggling with that, but I still feel a little bad for him.

Cheating sucks, and when a character doesn't own up to their part in that, I find it hard to feel bad for them, which is the case for me and how I see Killian.

Oh, that's the whole point--emotionally, at least, Freya and Killian did screw Dash over royally.  And the show's showing that everybody's accepted it, to varying degrees, in the name of true "star-crossed" love...or, perhaps worse, they're not saying (much?) that any part of it is/was about Dash.  Which goes back to his being the designated "bad" guy, albeit not fundamentally bad (in this incarnation, anyway)...more Anakin Skywalker shit-just-piles-up-and-I-made-really-bad-choices bad, I suppose.  It's one of the more overt things this show's been doing, and it kind of drives me nuts.

OTOH, I also did like that Ingrid told him he needed to come clean for himself and not her.  It had the misfortune of coming in between everything else, but it needed to be said.

Edited by Bill C.

Hulk Dash Mad !! Hulk Dash Angry !! Hulk Dash smash over bookcase that conveniently contains a hidden spell book !!

How the hell is Caroline still conscious after loosing all that blood ?  And won't she kind of wonder what the hell went on during the little bondage situation, what with the scars on her stomach ?  At least her underwear matched.

"You're making my inner kitty purr" -- gotta love Aunt Wendy.  Doesn't hurt that Madchen is smoking hot.

If the Beauchamp clan is from Asgard and all their spells are in Norse, why are Eva's and her daughter's spells in Spanish ?  Are they witches from some Spanish version of Asgard ?  Or do they have some sort of universal translator for spells ?

I like how Freya completely forgets to mention that she was just attacked by another witch (Eva's daughter) when gets back to the Beauchamp house.  That seems like a pretty big deal not to mention.

Flying ninja death scorpion -- nice !!

So Eva's daughter is dead.  And Eva is dead.  The promo saying that someone is going to die -- seems a little overhyped now that two people we pretty much know for sure are gone for good died of old age.

The fight between Dash and Killian was pretty cheesy.  And the only reason for the brouhaha was to break that spell of the guy he killed.

Ingrid and Freya aren't REALLY dead --- who are they trying to kidd ?  They're not going to kill off two main characters.

The preview at the end of the episode gave away way too much:

Tarkoff is alive, the King is up and about, and they definitely are trying to bring Freya/Ingrid back to life.

When Dash hulked out and smashed up the room in anger, I thought he was going to break the stick-figure dead-body-hidey jar then. He really should have put that in, like, a padded safe or something. The edge of the desk is no place for something like that. They didn't even need to have the big brother vs brother fight to break that jar. A stray elbow could have done it.

I don't think cheating if you could call it that is on par with attempted murder but YMMV.

No, but cheating can lead to attempted murder. Hee!

I mean, if I made out with my brother's fiance and caused him to be left at the alter, I'm not saying it would be okay for him to kill me, but I wouldn't be all indignant and surprised if I learn that he tried to kill me.

• Love 3

Well, that was a surprise. But I don't understand why Spike killed Freya & Ingrid, did he think it would make Joanna love him? Freddie is just a little spineless baby, if he had just told the truth from the beginning, none of this would have happened.

So for the rest: I really, really covet Wendy's room, particularly her bed. And we almost got a flash of Wendy's other kitty in that scene, I might add.

I actually rewound & replayed because I wasn't sure what I saw. LOL

And I was "oh shitting" about Ingrid and Dash's hidden corpse coming up from its watery depths

I just knew it was going to happen sooner or later.  I'm curious if Dash is going to have to kill the cops if the body ends up being traced back to him.  I do hope he doesn't become Archibald 2.0.  I prefer he and his brother break their cycle as the Beauchamps hope to break theirs.

I agree with an earlier post about this ep having elements normally reserved for season finales.  Seeing Eva trying to prolong her life due to a spell makes her a bit of a tragic figure.  She devoted her love to a warlock who granted her powers, and all she had to do to remain alive was to get pregnant by another warlock before the previous child died.  Seems almost anticlimactic now.

It's obvious Freya and Ingrid will be resurrected somehow - unless the show really wants to go into an unusual direction by having Joanna get pregnant again in the season finale and fast forward about 25 years in the premiere.  It's be a great way to change the settings and people if they wanted to go there.

Regarding the languages of spells;  I'm a bit confused by it since they have been read in Latin and Spanish as well as English.  I used to think it would be recited in the language of the spell caster, but since we've seen characters who've only spoke English their entire lives recite Latin spells, this could be moot.

Eva's a unique case, since she was a mortal who became some sort of witch centuries ago thanks to that unidentified warlock (and that opens up a whole new can of worms for this show).  If she was natively from the Dominican Republic, odds are she'd have been speaking Spanish as her native tongue back then.

Well, that was a surprise. But I don't understand why Spike killed Freya & Ingrid, did he think it would make Joanna love him? Freddie is just a little spineless baby, if he had just told the truth from the beginning, none of this would have happened.

He did say to Joanna that after helping Grandpa Unicron find a vessel he would claim his "reward"--her, whom he had been in love with for centuries.  As much as he was obsessed with...ahem, in love with her, though, he was loyal to his king; Freya and Ingrid being killed was presumably a show of force, in an "even if I lose, you lose too" way.

And none of this really mitigates Freddie being spineless, though between Spike and Grandpa Unicron himself being able to do all kinds of shit to him it at least makes a certain sense even in the face of his declaring that he "had a plan."  (Situationally reckless.  Yup, he's a Beauchamp all right.)

I think Killian did acknowledge that he was wrong for trying to steal Freya when he first came back.

I think hearing that Dash too had been lying to him after finding out about Eva pushed him over the edge. As messed up as Dash is I do think he and Ingrid are a much better fit.

• Love 1

It's obvious Freya and Ingrid will be resurrected somehow - unless the show really wants to go into an unusual direction by having Joanna get pregnant again in the season finale and fast forward about 25 years in the premiere.  It's be a great way to change the settings and people if they wanted to go there.

I was texting with my friend who also watches the show. She was thinking the same thing: that the show might do a time jump of 30 years. But I really doubt it, this isn't Back to the Future were watching here. Something will be done in THIS time, the whole point of the show being about trying to break the cycle.

As messed up as Dash is I do think he and Ingrid are a much better fit.

I was kind of cracking up in Dash and Ingrid's scene where she was explaining that his mother was already born during her torrid affair with his grandfather and he was all, "Well, I'm glad I didn't have sex with my grandmother last night." They were both a little freaked out during that scene and it hilarious.

• Love 3

Considering they blew a fair chunk of the VFX on that Force dustup in House Gardiner's attic, Adam, I'm kind of surprised they didn't find a way to justify having either of the boys shirtless just to ensure some part of the audience would have been drooling over it.  This is the same show that justified Ingrid being stripped down to black undies so they could set her on fire, after all.

The warlock knocked [Eva] up, and as long as she had a new child before the old one died she'd stay young and beautiful. It's all sort of delightfully fucked up and I feel like they could've had some fun with it if they'd revealed it earlier (how many kids has she had and outlived?).

That's a very good catch.  I guess the show glossed it over since Eva was on her way out the door and was so very blatantly a speedbump for Freya/Killian, but she did make that point of being centuries old--so how old was Abuela-kid?  Was she her only child?

• Love 1

That's a very good catch.  I guess the show glossed it over since Eva was on her way out the door and was so very blatantly a speedbump for Freya/Killian, but she did make that point of being centuries old--so how old was Abuela-kid?  Was she her only child?

I would guess that no, that wasn't Eva's only child, considering she said she centuries old. There had to have been several for Eva to last a few hundred years. And yeah, it would have been a super-interesting story, it was totally wasted on being a timewaster obstacle for Freya and Killian.

I'm confused about how they can bring back the girls. I thought Joanna got pregnant almost immediately after the girls were killed. Once she's pregnant with them, wouldn't it be pointless to bring them back. And really, her giving birth to them again is "bringing them back." 

They wouldn't necessarily have to jump 30 years into the future if Joanna had to have the girls all over again. Maybe they could do a spell to rapid-age them back into their late 20s. I doubt they'll do that, though. More likely figure out a way to resurrect this Ingrid and Freya. 

I agree this would have made a pretty awesome season finale.

Was all of this in the books, or did the writers watch Sinister? The ending reminded me of the beginning of that movie.

I thought this was the season finale, what with everything that happened.

Edited by Anela

Was all of this in the books, or did the writers watch Sinister? The ending reminded me of the beginning of that movie.

I thought this was the season finale, what with everything that happened.

Nope, this was definitely not in the books.

• Love 1

Holy cow show! That was all kinds of awesome in my book and we got the bonus of Eva biting the dust. I have to admit that I teared up a little bit at the end when the girls were swinging on the ropes in the garden. I echo the statement about Wendy, her bedroom and the almost sneak peek of her inner kitty. LOL And, I am happy with everything else in the episode. They mentioned more than once how powerful Joanna is, so much so that she said she doesn't practice that kind of magic anymore. I sincerely hope that they bring the full force of her powers to the forefront in the last three episodes. This witch is hurting and majorly pissed off. Go get em girl, and I hope that she brings Wendy and Frederick along for extra ammo.

Edited by missbonnie

I got teary as well seeing Ingrid and Freya swinging in the tree. This is the first time Frederick has seen them die and I hope it completely traumatized him because he basically helped kill his sisters and father. Dash finding out about the reincarnation was hilarious especially when he said he was glad he didn't sleep with his grandmother. I'm glad Ingrid didn't tell Freya about sleeping with Dash. We didn't need that conflict in this episode. Ew, an idea hit me. - both sisters slept with warlock brothers on the same night so maybe there is some soul connection magic to resurrect them? The Peen Lure?

• Love 3

Depending on your perspective, Freya and Killian have been victim to that for God only knows how long.  :)

I'm confused about how they can bring back the girls. I thought Joanna got pregnant almost immediately after the girls were killed. Once she's pregnant with them, wouldn't it be pointless to bring them back. And really, her giving birth to them again is "bringing them back." 

The key word is "almost."  The show's conveniently never said exactly how much time after both Ingrid and Freya's deaths it took for the curse to reengage and Joanna to become pregnant again, though the implication is that it's only a few days.  And combined with death itself being...not immutable, but somewhat flexible or reroutable...on this show if you're quick enough...

Because magic?

Exactly.

• Love 1
The key word is "almost."  The show's conveniently never said exactly how much time after both Ingrid and Freya's deaths it took for the curse to reengage and Joanna to become pregnant again, though the implication is that it's only a few days.

I think the one flashback they showed was Joanna getting pregnant while standing at one of the girls' graves for what appeared to be that daughters' funeral, so it looks as though it would only take a few days.  Though I don't think the show has ever given any indication of how it is that no one ever noticed that Joanna gives birth to the same daughters again and again.  If Freya and Ingrid always die in their 20s (as Joanna mentioned last week the girls had never had a 30th birthday), and the family always has been in East End, there are people who could live to see three or so versions of the girls.  I know, I know...cue Olivia Newton John singing "Magic." 

I was shocked at how anti-climactic Eva's death was.  I didn't mind, if only because the episode more than made up for it, but it surprised me how much time was wasted on that storyline when it turned out to be so pointless. 

The key word is "almost."  The show's conveniently never said exactly how much time after both Ingrid and Freya's deaths it took for the curse to reengage and Joanna to become pregnant again, though the implication is that it's only a few days.  And combined with death itself being...not immutable, but somewhat flexible or reroutable...on this show if you're quick enough...

Doesn't Joanna have to have sex to get pregnant? I don't know why, but I never had the impression she just got pregnant out of no where, otherwise how did Freya & Ingrid have a father? 

Nope, the curse basically forces an immaculate conception; we saw it happen to Joanna in a flashback in the pilot episode.  Victor is/was Freya and Ingrid's original biological father, from before their escape from Bizarro Asgard and Grandpa Unicron hitting them with the curse.

Nope, the curse basically forces an immaculate conception; we saw it happen to Joanna in a flashback in the pilot episode.  Victor is/was Freya and Ingrid's original biological father, from before their escape from Bizarro Asgard and Grandpa Unicron hitting them with the curse.

Huh, that's kind of.........stupid.

getting into the countless contradictions regarding the "rules", possibilities and limits of witchcraft explained or hinted at in the series seems a pointless mission..

what im curious about is e.g. what you people think about freddie.. i mean whats the point in introducing a character who proves to be a pathological liar over and over and over again, on the other hand fails in every single one of his actions (no matter if its part of being a good or a bad guy) and keeps saying "im so sorry, mum" all the time? not to mention the fact that he seems to be unemployed, but busy without business ever since his arrival – but of course still makes his college teacher fall madly in love with him! – without even showing his only real quality in presenting some magic tricks!! whatever, by now everyone hates him and i wonder how he could possibly be made an intact member of the clan again. logical conclusion: this character is either a total dead-end street or a number one candidate to sacrifice himself to revive the dear sisters. i mean its not that hes not been announcing his suicide for a few episodes..

any opinions on this issue?

Edited by ian nottingham

Fair point...even allowing that Freddie's been under both Grandpa Unicron and Tarkoff's thumbs since he showed up, he's probably due for some sort of true redemptory act in the name of family.  (I'm not sure if I want to count him killing Tarkoff at this point.)  Going all the way to suicide, though...it'd certainly be a monster swerve since Christian Cooke is a series regular, and out of the entire Beauchamp clan he's the one person who's the most...expendable?  But he's also one of only three male characters on the show; he's at/near the heart of the whole clash between Joanna and Grandpa Unicron; and his absence would mean either filling it with more Killian or Dash or introducing a new guy.  The show probably could kill him off and use it to drive story, but I don't think they'd do it yet unless he somehow takes Grandpa out with him...

well, youre probably right.. i just wondered why he kind of doesnt participate in the moral metadiscourse thats going on regarding the rest of the characters. for instance, we have to listen to a discussion about freya having sex with her soul mate (!) being unethical because hes married to some chick hes known for not more than a couple of weeks.. i mean come on.. now, how can writers that suppose a congruent mindset in their audience ever expect them to relike freddie whos not only a compulsive liar and a traitor to his family, but also the killer of a bunch of innocent people. okay, dashs a killer too, but this issue is discussed as explicitly and moralizingly (!) as freyas and killians adultery. moreover, in his case we have lots of "excuses" at hand that kind of keep his character ambivalent. in freddies case theres nothing like that. when he still had his seizures, one expected the good old obsessive-schizophrenic pattern, but now this possibility seems excluded and except not killing his girlfriend and, okay, killing tarkoff now (well probably never know why tarkoff didnt manage to foresee this attack just like the last one, but lets not get encumbered by details..) he hasnt done anything so far that could possibly suffice to release him from the great share of purgatory the average view must (or at least should!) wish him..

getting into the countless contradictions regarding the "rules", possibilities and limits of witchcraft explained or hinted at in the series seems a pointless mission..

what im curious about is e.g. what you people think about freddie.. i mean whats the point in introducing a character who proves to be a pathological liar over and over and over again, on the other hand fails in every single one of his actions (no matter if its part of being a good or a bad guy) and keeps saying "im so sorry, mum" all the time? not to mention the fact that he seems to be unemployed, but busy without business ever since his arrival – but of course still makes his college teacher fall madly in love with him! – without even showing his only real quality in presenting some magic tricks!! whatever, by now everyone hates him and i wonder how he could possibly be made an intact member of the clan again. logical conclusion: this character is either a total dead-end street or a number one candidate to sacrifice himself to revive the dear sisters. im mean its not that hes not been announcing his suicide for a few episodes..

any opinions on this issue?

He's in the books, so they put him in the show. His story is different in the books, but so are a lot of things.

(How did I not know about this forum until now? I created the Witches of East End topic at the now defunct TWoP as was a regular on the Charmed forum during it's heyday)

This episode was pretty fantastic because it was so action packed. Loved those flying death scorpions! Like others have stated, it very much felt like a finale which is somewhat worrisome because this season's actual finale may not be able to surpass the audience's new expectations, now that a bar has been set.

What concerns me even more is the very probable resurrection of the Beauchamp girls. After the incessant reiteration of their curse to be reborn that has been in play for hundreds of years, I will be royally pissed if they somehow manage to revive them from the dead because this resurrection method could also be used in the future, mitigating any real threat or mortal danger the sisters should ever find themselves in.

I fully expect Ingrid and Freya to be reborn as babies. I wouldn't mind one bit if Rachel Boston and Jenna Dewan Tatum were replaced with child actresses, since they're easily the weaker links in the cast. JDT's acting has improved somewhat since the first season, but Rachel Boston's line delivery and acting choices really bug me to the point of taking me out of the episode. Lifetime isn’t as ballsy as HBO (ie. Game of Thrones) so the likelihood of that happening is nil.

Thank god Eva finally bit the dust. Her story line dragged on far too long, just like her time on this earthly plane. Moreover, if all homegirl wanted was to get pregnant, why not give in vitro a whirl? Surely she could have managed to magically finance the laboratory fertilization. I'll chalk that up to bad writing.

Another nitpick - When did Tarkoff have time to dress the girls in those lacy, white nightgowns? The last time we saw Ingrid and Freya they were sporting casual wear. I get that it makes for a haunting, impactful image...but still. Also, the thought of him stripping them down while they were out cold is disturbing.

Edited by Rahul
  • Love 1

I would actually love it if we got child Freya and Ingrid. I would be incredibly impressed if the show was balsy enough to do that, but it's not, so they won't and we will get yet another loophole in the already swiss cheese like logic in their magic. As it is, the only cliffhanger is how they are going to inexplicably bring the girls back to life. My top assumptions (though not what I wish they'd do) is 1) Frederick does something noble to prove his loyalty to the family and dies so they can come back. 2) Joanna makes a deal with her father, gives him whatever the fuck it is he wants in exchange for him taking away the curse (this would likely also benefit Wendy if she agrees to it. If not, sister drama!) 3) Wendy gives up her last life (oh dear god I hope not. She's the only character I actually like on the show).

I still don't get what the point of Eva was.

• Love 1

I still like Dash and Ingrid more as a pair and individually than I like Killian an Freya, they bore me with their entitlement and excuses. They did Dash dirty but somehow all the wrongs in their lives is Dash's fault. I don't care how much tries to sell me and Killian and Freya as soul mates, the only believable couple in this mix are Dash and Ingrid. I believe that they. Have grown to love each other. The only thing I ever see with Killian and Freya are "the beautiful people" who have the hots for each other. Better casting in terms of actual chemistry or actual talent could have solved this problem.

I don't think Wendy and Tom are that fascinating a pairing either.

I would like to know now and why Joanna is so powerful that she is the only threat to the King of the Damned?

• Love 1

The only thing I ever see with Killian and Freya are "the beautiful people" who have the hots for each other. Better casting in terms of actual chemistry or actual talent could have solved this problem.

I agree that Freya and Killian are simply lustful coworkers who happen to really dig the way the other one looks.

What exactly makes them soulmates? Have they even had a deep, meaningful conversation that has lasted more than 30 minutes? Do they share the same interests, goals and values? Nope. 

I don't think the issue is just a matter of casting. It's poor writing as well. According to the show, having recurring dreams of someone you've never met and then kissing them passionately upon your first encounter makes you soulmates. 

• Love 5