Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: Loved Ones

Tara Ariano

Was anyone else bothered that they're sheltering at Abe's shop, which the Master and his minions already know about? Why weren't all the vamps in NYC outside that door breaking in? It made me laugh everytime the team members entered and then flipped that puny little lock in the front door.

Otherwise, I liked this episode and for me the show continues to ramp up the suspense. Not everything works, but I find myself interested week to week in what will happen next. I also appreciate that nobody is safe, and while I'm still frustrated at the show's latent sexism (see other episode threads for my walls of text), I was surprised and moved by poor Kelly's situation here. I truly felt bad for her and sympathized with her confusion while being chilled by her focus on her child -- which shows us yet again how good the 'virus' is at spreading through "love" as Abraham said. And the deaths of her friend and her child were horrifying.

I don't even like hacker lady, I don't find her hot or particularly sympathetic, but at least she's being a problem solver and is working with the group. She's an ally, idiot! You need all the fucking help you can get. How dumb are you to drive away people who know what's going on and are actively fighting to stop it when most people would be running for the hills?

I agree, in that I have grown to like Dutch, and felt that Eph was ridiculously unfair here (and I was irritated that nobody else spoke up but our favorite ratcatcher). But I was also incredibly irritated that she defaulted to the standard hair-flip "Well-I'll-just-leave-then" response, which is one of those movie/TV things that I just don't think would happen here. If she's smart enough to shut down the Internet, she's smart enough to stick with her team of Impromptu Vampire Killers.

Somehow I think this is only the beginning with Ephraim's family drama. Out of all the folks that have been recently turned, it's no coincidence that his wife is called to The Master to do I'm assuming what is specific bidding for him.

I liked the Master calling to Kelly. It reinforces that this is a chess match, and I thought it was a chilling and interesting outcome to poor Kelly's infection.

Anyone else notice that Matt was crying inside the bathroom? That's what it sounded like to me, wish he told Kelly to run like hell. He was still somewhat human, able to stop himself from attacking her.

I liked the nuance they gave Matt here -- rather unexpectedly. I felt bad for him because I felt we did see, here, the same restraint we saw in the previous crash survivor who chained himself in the shed. He couldn't overcome his love for her yet early on, and that was really moving. I was glad they gave poor Matt a few worthy moments of sympathy in that way.

None of the 'master' plans on this show make much sense...

The old rich guy puts a plan in motion that threatens the financial stability of the world -- so he can be immortal, but poor?

The Master and his evil Nazi butler know who Abraham is and could easily determine where he lives. But the Scooby gang decides Abraham's place is the best place to be? 

At a certain point of wealth, the rise and fall of the Internet is immaterial and will have very little effect at all.

Meanwhile, I brought up the Abraham headquarters aspect as well and agree with you that the holing up there with lights on and the stupid lock on the front door is pretty dumb. But I like the gang, and am just hoping Dutch doesn't give in to some TV logic and decide to run for the streets in pique.

I'm probably in the minority on this but I thought that the Kelly actress did a good job. It was kind of subltely creepy with the slight head twitches and confused, painful looks at what was happening to her and around her.

I thought she was terrific. Honestly it was the first time I've cared about Kelly thus far, and it was doubly sad considering she's almost instantly doomed.

I thought Kelly was creepy as hell. I liked that whole sequence. From the gross worm in eyeball, to seeing the inner workings of the human body on the couple that passed by. She did a good job portraying the metamorphosis.

Agreed. I especially liked that you could see that she was barely conscious and navigating a total fog of lust and confusion. She only held the one thought clearly (she couldn't even find the Master without help).

Seriously, is the kid that plays Eff's son related to someone behind the scenes? Matthew Weiner's son looks like a Barrymore compared to him. He is one of the worst child actors I have ever seen. So much so that when next I re-watch an episode of Walking Dead and complain about Lizzie, her sister or Carl, I will stop myself and think upon how much worse it could have been.

I totally agree. The only semi-decent moment the kid has had in performance was the reaction to his phone video, and even that wasn't beyond your basic TV-commercial-level acting. He's so, so bad.

I don't like Eph much at all but I will grant him this, if I just figured out my ex who I still love turned into a vamp and killed her best friend and that friend's child and I had one of the people responsible for what happened in front of me I would AT LEAST yell at her.  Especially if she just brought up my spouse.  He was at the time struggling with keeping what he found out quiet so his son doesn't find out about it (yet) so he couldn't unburden himself and then the moron who crashed the internet calls attention to herself. 

This was what caused me to give Eph a little leeway in that scene. Although I wish he'd spoken up about his day. (But people never do, adding to this show's mountain of TV/movie cliches and tropes. Sigh.)

I'm still really irritated that Eph didn't tell Zack about Kelly, or at least warn him that Kelly might be turned.  It makes for drama that Zach doesn't yet know, but it's such useless, gratuitous drama.

I completely agree. I was angered and irritated that he didn't rip offt the Band-Aid and say, bluntly, "Honey, it looks like they got Mom. So you'll have to be very careful and tell us if she tries to contact you." etc.

Edited by paramitch

I understand that shows like this need to be slippery with the metamorphosis timeline, but I wish they have had Diane and her son be less far along in their change. It would have made Eph had to face killing them -- Diane he might not have minded so much, but killing the son while he was still humanlike, would have upped the ante for Eph and given him even more reason - in addition to the evidence that Kelly had turned and been their attacker -- for him being unhinged back at the pawn shop.

• Love 1

I kind of liked Diane, she was not afraid to call Eph on his BS.  Speaking of which, when you work for the CDC and are the first on scene of an outbreak of epic proportions, taking time out to sleep with your co-worker takes away any valid 'i love my wife' arguement. 

I think Dutch needed to access Palmer's computers because his computers have the ability to restore the internet and wireless services.

I mean no matter how much he wants immortality, Palmer is not the type of guy to be left at the whims of a hacker.  The Master may have played Palmer but there is no way Dutch stood a chance.

One thing that is nagging me, if Dutch knew the internet and cell phones were going to become useless, why did she stay in New York?  And if she had a "team" working on the project, how would anyone who worked on that team be intelligent enough to shut down the interenet but not foresee the crash of financial markets?  Or closer to the point, how did the team get paid?  Dutch received a stack of cash from Palmer, and Dutch said her girlfriend stole all of her money.

I didn't think Vasilly knew how to pour on the charm, at first I thought they were writing him like somewhat of an outcast, but he really charmed his way past the receptionist.  And I know that Dutch has been shown to be a lesbian, but with the tension between her and Vasilly I wonder if she is bi-sexual.

Abraham said the Master could see all that the infected saw, does that mean he also gained access to their memories?  So that when Kelly began to change he picked up on her relationship with Eph.  And then beckoned her to him.

If Dutch really did bounce, I bet she runs into Gus.

I totally agree. The only semi-decent moment the kid has had in performance was the reaction to his phone video, and even that wasn't beyond your basic TV-commercial-level acting. He's so, so bad.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought he wasn't very good.  I'm not going to bash him cause he's just a little kid, but this episode  I really noticed it;  his acting was not very good. Some moments he was fine, but I can't pinpoint what I didn't like about it in some spots; maybe just the writing/dialogue wasn't good and/or the way he said the lines, it just sounded....not great. and not very actor-ish. But that's just me. But hey, not everyone kid can be(insert amazing child actor here)

I heard someone said on a podcast that it sounded more like he was just "saying" his lines as opposed to acting them.

• Love 1

One thing that is nagging me, if Dutch knew the internet and cell phones were going to become useless, why did she stay in New York?  And if she had a "team" working on the project, how would anyone who worked on that team be intelligent enough to shut down the interenet but not foresee the crash of financial markets?  Or closer to the point, how did the team get paid?  Dutch received a stack of cash from Palmer, and Dutch said her girlfriend stole all of her money.

If Dutch really did bounce, I bet she runs into Gus.

I really think that Dutch thought, hey I'm being paid a chunk of cash to turn off the internet for a FEW days! Getting to screw with The Man is a challenge I'm going to take! To be fair she obviously didn't know that there was going to be this vombie threat, so therefor she wouldn't think leaving town was necessary.

She probably split the money with her team already, and girlfriend stole her share. Maybe she's heading to a team member next episode. Maybe she'll get a hankering for another gas station burrito, and bump into Gus. All these maybes. I can't wait!

Oh how I love this show.  I look forward to it every Sunday night.

This one moved slow but it was sad to see Kelly get infected and turn.  I agree the actress did a great job especially when she went to her girlfriends house and took out both her and her son.  Following in the footsteps of TWD by not exempting kids from turning into a zombie and being shot in the head!

It is ridiculous that they are all hiding at Abe's but maybe that is because he has the secret room behind the book case and maybe they feel safe there?  Ok its a stretch but I am going with it. 

Diane and her kid were killed by a feeding, so that probably sped up the conversion process. The corpses got up and attacked the coroner in pretty short order. Kelly's transforming much faster than the plane survivors though, and all from a single worm.

I too think Natalie Brown is doing a great job portraying Kelly's creepy slide into predator-hood.

See I think Kelly is transforming a bit slower. She hasn't gotten super pasty and lost half her hair yet, like the lawyer with two kids. She still looks ok enough for someone seeing her to just think she's a really sick human being. Not a decaying vamp. She'll probably be able to retain her human looks somewhat ( like Eichorst)because the master has plans for her.

The Strain: sponsored by Apple.

Yay, Stereotype Friend is dead!! Christmas came early for me this year. XD I do like Kelly better as a vamp, although I'd rather see more Nazi flashbacks than Annoying Wife flashbacks. I was impressed that she actually put up a pretty good fight against her infected boyfriend. I wonder if she's going to marry Bat Boy, then show up at the pawn shop to eat them all... I mean get custody of little Zack?

Maybe Kelly is transforming more slowly in order for us to continue to recognize her in the sea of balding, genital-less vamps. :) (Aside: I didn't know that she'd played a vamp before, until I read her FX profile, so she should definitely know what she's doing from here on in.)

Eph made me laugh w/his macho "the CDC put me in charge, beyotch!" XD At least he seems totally down w/killing vampires now, even when they're kids.

Count me among those who were annoyed that Eph didn't tell his son that mommy was a vamp. Zack already saw mom's boyfriend turned and he was even killed right in front of him, so how hard would it be for him to make peace w/the fact that she had been turned as well? It's happening all over the place and she clearly had some kind of confrontation w/the bf in the home before they arrived. The kid is probably already thinking it, even if he doesn't know for sure (that may have been another reason why he was watching the video on the phone, remembering the "old" her). I'm guessing the only reason this was done was for the "put the kid in danger" gag to come later. :P

I always have a problem w/people on shows not talking to each other about important things, as they would in real life, in order to provide those "gotcha" moments later. That's not the first time I've noticed this on the show and that is clearly where they're going w/this setup as well. If you have to do this to move your plot along, you need better writers. </rant>

But, hey, Eph, Nora and Zack make a perfect little family unit now, don't they? :P  Now, he'll have two parents he never sees because of their jobs!

Dutch is the worst hacker ever. Why would she need to be inside of the building to do anything? I didn't know that Palmer controlled the entire intarwebs! lol

Consequently, it seemed that Vasiliy and Dutch went to Palmer's place mostly to show that Fitzwilliam is actually a good guy. (It was pretty obvious they were getting out of there alive, so the whole trip had zero suspense for me.) I was disappointed that Fitz didn't leave the old man and join the fight, but he seemed kind of like Vader to Luke: "It's too late for me."  Maybe he'll join the team later (crossing fingers). I did like how Vasiliy charmed the gatekeeper at Palmer's. I didn't know he had it in him! :)

I am not pleased that they're clearly trying to hook up Dutch w/Vasiliy. :( I don't want his emotions clouded. He's my bad-ass exterminator, dammit!

Definitely not enough Abe in this ep. I hope he has a backdoor in that place, btw. I'm also beginning to wonder where the heck Gabriel and the other surviving early infectees are. And I guess Gus has been running for days in that orange jumpsuit, now??

Need I say it?  Moar SWAT vamps, plz!!

• Love 2

Consequently, it seemed that Vasiliy and Dutch went to Palmer's place mostly to show that Fitzwilliam is actually a good guy. (It was pretty obvious they were getting out of there alive, so the whole trip had zero suspense for me.) I was disappointed that Fitz didn't leave the old man and join the fight, but he seemed kind of like Vader to Luke: "It's too late for me."  Maybe he'll join the team later (crossing fingers). I did like how Vasiliy charmed the gatekeeper at Palmer's. I didn't know he had it in him! :)

I think what's particularly hilarious about this is that it sort of served the purpose of making Fitzwilliam look even worse.  It's set up to make him look like a good guy since he let the good guys go but the dude has been actively involved in in all this shady shit, from the underground organ market to setting up this vampire thing.  I suppose there could be some cancer wife or hostage kid thing going on, but come on!  Palmer could have accidentally died several times already in a way that couldn't be traced back to Mr. Fitzwilliam.  

Palmer could have accidentally died several times already in a way that couldn't be traced back to Mr. Fitzwilliam.  

Seriously! A little push down the stairs could have averted the vampire apocalypse.

Seriously! A little push down the stairs could have averted the vampire apocalypse.

Or a small kink in the dialysis machine, the stolen liver not showing up on time perhaps by an anonymous bomb square called into the departing airport, drop some sedative in the transplant doctor's coffee prior to surgery to increase the chances of scalpel slip, slip some blood thinners to Palmer so he bleeds out on the table, accidentally prick Palmer so Eichurst gobbles up his neck when he comes a'visitin'.  So many ways Palmer could have died.  If they wanted Fitzwilliam to be good, they really shouldn't have had him offering up some kindly nursing care.  

I don't think Eph told his son because part of him is in denial and believes in !science! He might think he can cure her....

He still won't even refer to them as vamps. Also, PLOT!

He could even just describe her as someone who is sick, and because she's infectious Zach shouldn't go near her.  

Definitely PLOT!!

See I think Kelly is transforming a bit slower. She hasn't gotten super pasty and lost half her hair yet, like the lawyer with two kids. She still looks ok enough for someone seeing her to just think she's a really sick human being. Not a decaying vamp. She'll probably be able to retain her human looks somewhat ( like Eichorst)because the master has plans for her.

I totally agree, Sofie.  The Master may even pretty her up again and have her give Zach a call . . .   

I also agree with all those who said the actress playing Kelly knocked it out of the park this episode.  I was intrigued and saddened and horrified by her storyline and the way she acted it.

Or a small kink in the dialysis machine, the stolen liver not showing up on time perhaps by an anonymous bomb square called into the departing airport, drop some sedative in the transplant doctor's coffee prior to surgery to increase the chances of scalpel slip, slip some blood thinners to Palmer so he bleeds out on the table, accidentally prick Palmer so Eichurst gobbles up his neck when he comes a'visitin'.  So many ways Palmer could have died.  

The rest of you are probably not old enough to remember the song "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover", but that's what this post reminded me of and it cracked me up.  "50 Ways to Kill a Palmer".

• Love 2

^This is true. I think he was a bit shell shocked though. Dealing with his own grief. He still loves her after all.

Yep. He loves her so much he screwed Nora on Kelly's bed. Nothing gets the point across any better.

Eph is a douchebag and I'm starting to get sick of him. Being involved with the CDC has done them no help whatsoever against the vombies and Master. The only person with useful info is Setrakian.

• Love 6

The kid playing Eph's son can't act his way out of a paper bag. I don't know if it's the loss of Sean Astin or what, but since then I can't find it in myself to care about this group of COMPLETE ASSHOLES. 

Master totally disappointed me.

Damn, and I was loving this show, too! 

Yep. He loves her so much he screwed Nora on Kelly's bed. Nothing gets the point across any better.

Eph is a douchebag and I'm starting to get sick of him. Being involved with the CDC has done them no help whatsoever against the vombies and Master. The only person with useful info is Setrakian.

I meant in the "she carried our son in her womb" type of love. They divorced, and don't think they wanted to be a couple again.

I agree with the douchebag assessment.

Edited by Sofie Fatale