Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Episode 3

• Start Topic

Everything comes to a head as Richard and Jim arrive on the Isle of Man. Mary’s actions continue to have an impact on the entire family as they try to heal and reconnect.

I liked it, too. By the end, almost everyone got more likable, and they really did tie up most of the things I thought they couldn't, when I commented last week.

The taxi driver is way too much of a ridiculous contrivance, but I guess they think people want to see that kind of romantic garbage [my opinion, clearly not a universal one].

Dad in his one speech made me understand why mom was on the run and too intimidated to talk about it, and felt she had to off herself. Exhibit one for why divorce must be legal and available.

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Ancaster said:

Am I the only who found Stockard Channing glaringly out of place?

No, it was terrible.  One thing she said , the morphine  was for herself,  did anyone  ask why? Was she in pain? 

• Like 5

The producers deliberately hired Stockard Channing.  They wanted to show that there were people on the island from all over.  Channing has been performing in England and they thought she would be a good example of a character who had fallen in love with the charm of the Isle.  

There were lots of unanswered questions -- besides the morphine -- about the storyline.  What exactly did the father know about his wife's double life?  What's going to happen with the house the sisters inherited?  Who went to the police about Channing's connection to the morphine that the mother took?

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

I thought her lover-- who told the sisters about the morphine-- was who went to the police.

I also thought they made it clear that the husband/father knew everything-- that is why he was so angry and humilated and reticent to say anything to the daughters until he realized they might favor mom's wishes over his.

They didn't say why Stockard Channing's character needed pain managment, but I thought it really didn't matter, though I did wonder why she didn't keep the drugs locked up more securely.

The sisters decided to keep the house and rent it out for now-- though it seemed to me that Ros also might want to live in it full time.

I think it's an interesting idea, to just plan for 3 episodes, and really focus on the relationship between the sisters, and the motivation of their mother. They wrote it so that all the other things were in the background-- what the realtionship between mom and her Isle of man lover was like, who he was outside of "the boyfriend" and how long this had been going on, what Stockard Channing's pain was caused by, how the parental mariage was before mom went to Isle of Man, lots of things that would have been focused on with a longer series got mentioned but left in the background.

But they also made it so that if they got picked up for future episodes, there are a lot of ways they could go.

They could also talk about what Ros's job was that she was able to quit it and get something else, allowing her to move so easily. And what her "many relationships with married men" was about (assuming they don't want us to think she's simply a terrible person), and how the other sister's marriage changes now that she's said she wants to stay married but do things differently. How dad copes with being officially on his own now, and whether he stays angry at the daughters. How the boyfriend grieves, and whether he and Stockard Channing stay at odds. Whether SC is prosecuted for the morphine. Whether Ros and the taxi driver get serious about each other.

Lots more they could do, but I thought they wrapped up their chosen primary story pretty effectively in just the 3 episodes.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

I have the feeling that mom would have divorced dad but the Alzheimer's diagnosis changed that plan. I don't know what the legal ramifications are for divorce with that kind of diagnosis. I think she had found her life and her community and was ready to move on. I think she committed suicide because she knew her husband wouldn't just let her be. He would worry about what it would look like if he didn't "take care of her" though of course he wouldn't, the caretaker daughter would end up caring for mom. 

• Like 7
17 hours ago, tinderbox said:

What was the final decision about the mother’s final resting place?  Did the dad finally concede?  

Seems as if the daughters did and talked the dad out of transporting the body home. If the daughters are able to keep the house and rent it out, they should be able to have at least a week or so each to themselves each year. For Ros, that may help her “find” herself. Not sure Rosalind really wants to leave her husband, she just knows that her life should be more fulfilling to her and she can’t seem to make that happen.

• Like 2

I loved looking at Eve Best's face. She is marvellous. I also thought the song Suranne sang for karaoke was a hoot...never heard it before and what a crazy choice. And the sheer horror on Ros's face! That was hysterical!

I thoroughly enjoyed this little study of a family in a distressing situation, and kind of fell in love with the Isle of Man. Especially when they have furry-sexy taxi drivers who end up being everywhere you end up. Yum!

And fairy bridges. Hello, fairies! 🧚

• Like 2