Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: The Garrison Commander

Athena
  • Start Topic

And I LOVED Claire snatching the bottle at the very end and the smile on Murtaugh face as he watched her walk away with it.  I think that may be only the second time I've ever seen him smile (the first being when he laughed at Claire's joke last episode.)

Agree 100%- I needed that smile. Just one more instance of the peripheral actors being of such a high caliber that they thoroughly enhance even the smallest of moments. Murtagh/Lacroix rocks and is bringing so much to this character.

Dougal/McTavish as well.. again.

I am so pleased with the level of acting in this show- just stellar all around. I have to admit that during the wait for the series to start I was half afraid the show would end up reading as far too cheesy and thus disappoint me but instead I have been gobsmacked at how well done it is and this is entirely because of the cast and the locations.

This was difficult to watch. The departure from the book threw me a bit- I was wondering why in blazes were they making BlackJack even remotely sympathetic, looking into his own soul like that as he flogged "the Highland boy." Then of course I figured it out- a bit before Claire did but not by much. I may be slow but instead I think I may have been mesmerized by the level of acting I was watching- Tobias Menzies just stunned me. He has thoroughly mastered all the mircoexpressions in his bag of tricks- utterly superb job all around by him. My jaw nearly dropped at how good he was. I love the lines in his face- so interesting to look at.

I cried out at the screen several times- during the flogging with horror, then during the Claire/Jamie scene with delight.

It was a rollercoaster of emotions- the lowest of lows to the highest of highs.

GOD I can't wait to be able to binge watch the entire season!!!

• Love 7
Also, I did not find the depiction of the British to be heavy handed.  It was this kind of cultural superiority that led them into colonial endeavors into the 20th century. I thought their reaction to the Highlanders was totally believable. It was, if anything, worse about one hundred years later during the scramble for Africa but I suppose that is another topic for another day.

I didn't either. Certainly not all British officers were from the elite and you could work your way up, but many also were the second sons of landowning, wealthy families who were used to ordering people around and feeling superior to others who cared for them, or worked for them, or just had the misfortune of being of a lower class. If you weren't going to inherit the estate, the options were either the military or the church.

As an aside, I watched the latest video from ISIS about five minutes before watching this show.  It probably influenced my viewing somewhat.  The more things change, the more they stay the same.  All those English teachers I had during High School who were harping on Man's Inhumanity to Man were onto something.

I wasn't going to mention it, but just as I was watching the show last night, I was also reading my twitter line and saw the news that that poor British fellow was beheaded by ISIS and this was just around the time in the episode when the British soldiers were telling Claire about the English soldier they found sitting on the ground, beheaded, presumably by the Scots. Eerie coincidence!

Edited by Nidratime
  • Love 1

I'd heard 'grinding the corn' once before in an episode of Six Feet Under. I'm happy Dougal is interested (even tickled) in performing this technique. 

I have to confess I was disappointed and confused in the initial casting and the first episode had me unsure (but not unhappy), but now I see the showrunners knew exactly what they were doing.  I'm embarrassed to say I'm giddy waiting for the show to start each week.

• Love 2

One thing I really liked was that it doesn't matter what year it is, war fucks you up.

I had a different reaction.  I heard Jack blaming the blackness of his soul on his frustration with his assignment to Scotland and I thought "what a cop-out".  And then Claire tries to ascribe his change in character to the rigors or war and I thought -- nope I don't accept that as a valid reason for this sick mofo.  Then he sucker punched her in the gut and I realized that whole introspection-into-his-own-soul bit was an act designed to mess with Claire's mind. Jack's an evil SOB and I don't know why.  I don't believe anything he said in this episode.  I hope Tobias knows why Jack is so fucked up but I don't believe we, the viewers, have a clue yet.

ETA:  I do believe what Jack said about how he felt about flogging Jamie.  That rang true (sickeningly so.)

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 6

Wow, I won't be rewatching that either.  Quite brutal. I loved Dougal the entire episode. The first episodes I loved him but as we went on he seemed to morph from protective father figure (to both Jamie and Claire) to jerk.  Tonight he was back in fine form.  I loved the Claire so quickly said that she was a guest of the MacKenzie clan.  Is it me or does anyone else mourn the loss of Lutenant Foster. He seemed a pretty decent sort of guy.  I was screaming at Claire to shut up. I just didn't really buy that she would be so talky. If I am going to fanwank it I maybe could think that she was doing it to try to get at Black Jack, perhaps feeling she was in the cat birds seat after being so beloved by the General. 

Jamie and Claire are super hot, and he is so obviously head over heels for her but I guess my confusion is in the choice for him to marry her. Isn't he a fugitive? If she marries him won't they be admitting that they are harboring a fugitive? This confuses me.  

• Love 1

Here's Online Etymology's entry for honeymoon: http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?allowed_in_frame=0&search=honeymoon&searchmode=none

I haven't rewatched the episode at all, but what I woke up thinking about was the flogging scene, one thing that can go here and one thing that will have to go in another thread.

The thing about the flogging scene in the episode that struck me (sorry), is that probably the most wrenching image for me, the one most stuck in my mind, is the close up shot of Jamie's boots as he struggled to get his feet back under him. There are all the bloody, bloody, bloody shots of his back, but it's those boots that just makes me want to cry. His strength had gone out and they were slipping in his own blood, but he just kept trying to stand. It speaks to the pain of it more than screaming would, it speaks to his force of will more than shouting would, it just lays out who Jamie is for us in one brief close up shot and just...gah. That kills me. I always over analyze things, so I think it's probably that we're seen blood and guts before, we're somewhat anesthetized to that, but I can't think of the last time I saw a scene like this one that had those little detailed close ups. Also sometimes I know I think of "acting" as dialogue and facial expressions, but this kind of thing really shows how the whole body should be used to convey things. For me at least, I think the struggling feet were even more moving than any close ups of an anguished look on Sam's face would have been. We did see his face a bit, but one of those cheesy agonized close ups wasn't necessary, Outlander managed to convey everything it needed to with just his feet.

• Love 20

One more tiny scene I have to applaud is the quick exchange between Dougal and Claire at the foot of the stairs.  It made me happy.  Dougal is worried for Claire because he saw Black Jack enter the room.  Claire is worried for Dougal because she's afraid he'll get blamed for the shooting.  She even tells him to make himself scarce, which must have amused and slightly affronted Dougal.  There is no way he was going to run off and leave Claire in a building that also contained Black Jack Randall.  That hasty exchange speaks volumes about the relationship that has formed between them.  I wouldn't call them friends but they have each other's back.

That's one of the reasons I think she was angry and not frightened when she saw that Dougal had drawn his dirk at the holy spring. I think it genuinely pissed her off that after all they'd been through, he would still be willing to contemplate slitting her throat.

• Love 7

My fellow obsessed watchers are up early posting, yay!

The scene with Jamie being whipped was so incredibly hard to watch! I am glad we got that last moment between him and Claire.

Can not wait for next week's episode!!!!

Gotta make breakfast,.....

Man, between the flashbacks to Jamie being whipped, Randall punching Claire and telling his underling to kick her, and the guy getting his arm sawn off, this was just a brutal episode to watch.

I knew there was no way in hell that Randall was going to just open up to Claire so I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop. As he was describing peeling the skin off Jamie's back as a masterpiece, I was so disgusted. This is the kind of sick fuck who becomes a serial killer. Since he's in the military, he has so much more opportunity and legal excuse to fuck with people. It's just sickening. I hope that the guy who was kicking Claire doesn't get groomed by Randall to be an abusive dick too.

I was cracking up that Jamie thinks fixing his shoulder and changing his bandages means he owes her enough to get married.

The cinematography on this show is really gorgeous. Last week when Claire was reciting poetry at the lake and this week when she and Jamie were discussing their marriage were both so beautiful:  the lighting, the scenery, everything.

• Love 4

I thought it was an interesting juxtaposition/comparison between last night's scene of Claire being kicked by the soldier, who didn't want to do it at all, while being egged on by Randall, his superior, and the scene in -- was it "Castle Leoch?" -- where Jamie was being pummeled, beyond blood being drawn, by Rupert at the urging of Dougal, his superior. Certainly they're very different situations and different men, but the similarity hit me last night.

• Love 2

Wow, so many comments already! Early riser also*grin*

Best episode yet. My husband, who never read the books and would wonder why I just keep far-reaching them, is completely hooked.

My love for Claire grows and grows. Self preservation sake of course she should have held her mouth. However, she continues to stand up for the wronged despite danger to herself. She has courage.

I loved Dougal. He was straight up uncomplicated hero here, until the pond. You believe he does have a fondness and respect for Claire yet he is still driven and focused enough to sacrifice good people(her, Jamie) for his cause.

Black Jack/Frank. Loved that the razor is a family heirloom! BJR entrance where he dusts himself off was great. Him loudly and over beating his coat and the look of pure insolence and "I don't give a fuck" telegraphed his character perfectly. Him telling Claire about creating a masterpiece was just chilling and revolting.

Someone mentioned Jamie's boots above being the worst of the flogging scene. I completely agree! The angle that they were at and the way he tried to continue to stand was so brave. I also have to give Sam credit for his scene with Claire. He came across so perfectly as shell shocked, resigned yet kind of excited about the marriage. I love that he knows to bring her a drink and his delivery of the virgin line was perfect! My husband was so surprised when it was revealed!

Caitriona performance was the best in my opinion. Graham McTavish and Tobias Menzies have been turning in stellar, flashy jobs but Caitriona has been steadily improving and holding her own. I love sassy Claire but her listening to BJR with tears streaming down her face was so touching.

• Love 3

his delivery of the virgin line was perfect! My husband was so surprised when it was revealed!

I envy you getting to see the reaction of an unsullied viewer.

BJR entrance where he dusts himself off was great. Him loudly and over beating his coat and the look of pure insolence and "I don't give a fuck" telegraphed his character perfectly.

And later he pours the claret out the window.  The monster!

• Love 1

I also wanted to say I cracked up with the brits said they didn't understand whtat Doogle said, after all the problems I have had understaning what has been said, I thought it was funny to make such a big deal of out it. Yes Kings English indeed.

I was unsullied too and I actually am so jaded I didn't think he said what he said. It wasn't until I came here that I confirmed he did say that.

• Love 3
I also wanted to say I cracked up with the brits said they didn't understand whtat Doogle said, after all the problems I have had understaning what has been said, I thought it was funny to make such a big deal of out it. Yes Kings English indeed.

Yes! I had a good laugh at that.

• Love 1

I just wanted to touch again on Claire's bravery in speaking out.  Yes, it was 'stupid' in that speaking up was certainly going to cause her trouble.  But doing something in the face of danger is sort of the definition of bravery.  She knows the history in an abstract way, but she knows these people in a very real way.  She's sat down to eat with these people, she's treated the ills of those in the castle and village, she's shared waulking duties with women in another village, she's been present as another village has been broken by an English invasion.  These people are real and what they go through matter to her so it's admirable that and, yes, brave that she'd speak up.  I mean, no one would say that Malala Yousafzai was stupid for writing a blog about education for girls while living in a place and time where speaking out brought a definite risk of personal danger. 

Some ahistorical stuff, too. There is no way he would be that insolent to his superior or that blatantly rude to her in the presence of the other men... The mild "you crossed a line" didn't cover it.

I figured since Black Jack's patron is the Duke of Sandringham, it makes a difference.  Officer commissions were purchased rather than earned during that time.  I assumed officers and soldiers just tacitly understood the power and money behind the commission, whether it was the officers own family or some other high ranking member of the peerage.  

• Love 9

I got my unsullied sister-in-law watching this show, though she doesn't get to watch live due to her hectic household on the weekends. Basically, I'm awaiting the shrieking phone call I'm sure to get once she finishes the episode.

I was sooo not ready for this episode. I don't even know how to prepare myself or next week.

I too found myself yelling at Claire to shut up, but then stopped because I love that part of her character that makes her think that people should listen to her, not "oh yeah, I'm a woman and should shut up" even though it gets her in trouble.

I just realized that story Claire told BJR about following a man to Scotland was a mix of Frank and Black Jack.  I like that story a lot more now that I noticed.  BJR should have been able to supply a name on his own since Claire called him Frank upon first meeting.

Also, BJR always looks like he's chewing gum.  It's not something Menzies does when he's playing Frank.  What would someone be chewing on in the 18th century?  

Edited by bluebonnet
  • Love 2

Well, the nice young lieutenant who came back looking for her came across as an honorable guy and he even pointed out that the MacKenzies had treated Claire well.  But I really hated the General.  What a douchebag.  Or should I say wanker?

Also, I did not find the depiction of the British to be heavy handed.  It was this kind of cultural superiority that led them into colonial endeavors into the 20th century. I thought their reaction to the Highlanders was totally believable. It was, if anything, worse about one hundred years later during the scramble for Africa but I suppose that is another topic for another day.

I didn't either. Certainly not all British officers were from the elite and you could work your way up, but many also were the second sons of landowning, wealthy families who were used to ordering people around and feeling superior to others who cared for them, or worked for them, or just had the misfortune of being of a lower class. If you weren't going to inherit the estate, the options were either the military or the church.

All good points about the attitudes of the English officers towards non-English in general, not just the Scots. Thanks also for the reminder about Lt. Foster as a nice guy who is brave and willing to acknowledge that the Scots are not all brutes. At the same time, he was willing to fight Dougal (quite appropriately, I thought).  I also liked the officer who was trying to translate Dougal's talk into the King's English.  He seemed to genuinely think the Brigadier General didn't understand, vs. that he was using the opportunity to mock the Scottish accent.

In the amputation scene, I was reminded of one of the first scenes in Episode 1, when a soldier is being amputated and a doctor comes in and takes over from Claire.  I wasn't sure if that was a deliberate repeat to show men brushing aside Claire's skills or just a coincidence.

BTW, I must comment on how absolutely gorgeous the scenery was at the pool where Dougal explained the marriage contract.  I really want to visit that particular spot.

On an unrelated note, I really love how we're seeing bits and pieces of the main titles in each episode, but they seem to be from slightly different angles than what we're seeing in the episode.  Or is that just my imagination.

Finally, am I the only one surprised that Jamie is a virgin?  Yes, I get why no father would want to marry a daughter to him.  However, he's very good-looking and strong, so I'd expect lots of women to be attracted to him.  Also, no one seems to think anything bad about the men (Rupert, Angus, Dougal) sleeping around.  Even if Jamie did not want to dishonor a woman, there seem to be "whores" around that would be acceptable for him to visit.  I don't get it.  Is it just wishful thinking fantasy for female fans?  Is he embarrassed for people to see his back?  What gives?

Also, BJR always looks like he's chewing gum.  It's not something Menzies does when he's playing Frank.  What would someone be chewing on in the 18th century?  

tobacco?

• Love 2

I was surprised that Jamie was a virgin. I know he is supposed be very young but even before he became a wanted man with a price on his head there must have been opportunities to roll around in the hay with some pretty tavern girl. There was such a double standard back then. Girls were expected to remain virgins until marriage but the same was certainly not true of young men. Jamie is one of a kind.

• Love 3

Finally, am I the only one surprised that Jamie is a virgin?  Yes, I get why no father would want to marry a daughter to him.  However, he's very good-looking and strong, so I'd expect lots of women to be attracted to him.  Also, no one seems to think anything bad about the men (Rupert, Angus, Dougal) sleeping around.  Even if Jamie did not want to dishonor a woman, there seem to be "whores" around that would be acceptable for him to visit.  I don't get it.  Is it just wishful thinking fantasy for female fans?  Is he embarrassed for people to see his back?  What gives?

Not knowing anything about the books, I was surpised but also I thought, all of the above.  I get the feeling also he probably has been dealing with a lot in the last few years, being on the run, dealing with his life, being mostly with men ... how slutty were women during this time period anyway? It honestly seems like he only sees a lot of Claire because her medical skills give her access to places typically men only.

• Love 1

All of the above, but I also believe that Jamie is somewhat of an idealistic romantic.

Waiting for true love.

And yes, such men exist- I married one.

• Love 6

I am sure they'll go more into Jamie's virginity the next episode, but yes it is somewhat "rare" I would think for a young, handsome, heroic man to not have his choice of women.  But considering his reaction at Claire inviting him into her bedroom last week,  I would say he is more honorable than MOST men, so it's not THAT out of the blue.

That Jamie, such a sweetie. 

• Love 5

I'm afraid I'm going somewhat against the tide here (although I've really enjoyed reading all the thought-provoking comments). I've felt that the last 3 episodes have been taken at a very ..... leisurely pace.... but with this one added to those, it's tipped into slow.<br /><br />I am a book reader, but I've enjoyed most of the additions, especially those which have fleshed-out Claire and Frank's marriage and so help us understand her genuine desire to get home in spite of the red-headed temptation she encounters. I also applaud character development (and wholly agree with some of the comments re Game of Thrones), however, much of the 'action' of the last 3 episodes has taken place around inconsequential characters and done little to move things forward. Whilst I thought Tobias Menzies did a good job, the whole thing felt contrived and if not wholly unnecessary, it took too long. If the whole of the book I'd to be dealt with in 16(?) episodes, the pace is going to have to pick up.

• Love 4

I think it's pretty clear that Claire was surprised.  :)  

I am sure they'll go more into Jamie's virginity the next episode, but yes it is somewhat "rare" I would think for a young, handsome, heroic man to not have his choice of women.  But considering his reaction at Claire inviting him into her bedroom last week,  I would say he is more honorable than MOST men, so it's not THAT out of the blue.

That Jamie, such a sweetie. 

I would kill for a scene in which Murtagh and the other lads explain to Jamie his wedding night duties!  That would be hilarious.  Unfortunately, it's not likely, since Claire is in every scene.  Perhaps as an extra scene available online???

I would kill for a scene in which Murtagh and the other lads explain to Jamie his wedding night duties!  That would be hilarious.  Unfortunately, it's not likely, since Claire is in every scene.  Perhaps as an extra scene available online???

I don't think he is ignorant- just virtuous.

• Love 1

I don't think he is ignorant- just virtuous.

I doubt that he's ignorant, but would the lads really miss the opportunity to tease him?  I assume that, living in such close quarters, they'd know he's a virgin.  If they can tease a man by suggesting he sleep with his own sister, they'd certainly "teach" Jamie what to do his first time.

• Love 1

Why is it assumed that Jamie and Claire will consummate their marriage?  It's just an arranged marriage, in name only, right?   Just a deal to protect Claire?  However, if I was Claire, I would be all over that boy, wedding or not!

• Love 3

Why is it assumed that Jamie and Claire will consummate their marriage? 

Wishful thinking?

I doubt that he's ignorant, but would the lads really miss the opportunity to tease him?  I assume that, living in such close quarters, they'd know he's a virgin.  If they can tease a man by suggesting he sleep with his own sister, they'd certainly "teach" Jamie what to do his first time.

The way he looked around before he said it I doubt they know.

• Love 3

I forgot to add...

BJR drawing Claire was creepy! I had no idea what he was doing. What an interesting quirk.

Also interesting was the redcoats saying to ask a Scot what he wears under his kilt is considered an insult. I just kept thinking of all the press asking Sam and Graham that!

Edited by peacefrog
  • Love 1

Why is it assumed that Jamie and Claire will consummate their marriage?  It's just an arranged marriage, in name only, right?   Just a deal to protect Claire?  However, if I was Claire, I would be all over that boy, wedding or not!

I assume it because they are doing this to get one over on Randall and in order to be successful at it, the marriage needs to be legal and valid, which means consummations.  I also assume the MacKenzie group would make sure that there are suitable witnesses for it all.  I mean, not standing in the room watching, but at least playing the role of overhearing the consummation.  

I assume it because they are doing this to get one over on Randall and in order to be successful at it, the marriage needs to be legal and valid, which means consummations.  I also assume the MacKenzie group would make sure that there are suitable witnesses for it all.  I mean, not standing in the room watching, but at least playing the role of overhearing the consummation.  

Yeah, consummation was required to make the marriage legally binding, which is pretty much the whole point of them getting married.  I'm sure they'll go more into detail next ep.

• Love 1

I think that in order to be considered valid in those days, the marriage would have to be consummated.  However, I'm no expert on the topic.  (ETA: looks like others beat me to the punch on this answer)

Also, the fact that Claire asks the virginity question indicates that she believes it will be consummated.

I doubt anyone would expect a man to marry her and then live the rest of their lives without sex, and if a future divorce was the plan, Dougal would have mentioned it.

Wishful thinking?

The way he looked around before he said it I doubt they know.

LOL -- wishful thinking was my first reaction too.

I actually interpreted his look around as embarrassment to admit this to her, not anything related to the other men.  Claire is older than him and has been married.  He is less experienced than her in many ways, and that's probably hard for any young man to admit.

Edited by nara
  • Love 2

So . . . if anyone is playing Where's Waldo with the cute, long-haired, "elvish" highlander stuntman/extra I spotted in episode 101, he was conspicuously  absent from this episode.  I have, however, spotted him.  He's in a photo on the STARZ Outlander website.  Click through the gallery at the top of the website to the very last photo which shows, I suspect, Ned Gowan and others watching the wedding party emerge from the church.  Waldo is top right.  Drink!

I would kill for a scene in which Murtagh and the other lads explain to Jamie his wedding night duties!

I have found a photo from the next episode (on Twitter I think) showing Murtaugh and Jamie having a talk with Dougal looking on.  Murtaugh seems to be fussing at the boy so it doesn't really look like he's giving him wedding night advice but that's my hope! 

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 3
I doubt anyone would expect a man to marry her and then live the rest of their lives without sex, and if a future divorce was the plan, Dougal would have mentioned it.

Aren't they Catholic? I would expect they couldn't divorce.

BJR drawing Claire was creepy! I had no idea what he was doing. What an interesting quirk.

I thought it was interesting how in this scene illustrating what a nasty, sadistic creature Black Jack is, there's this one tiny bright spot about him: he's clearly a gifted artist if he can sharpen a charred piece of wood and whip up a drawing of Claire in like 30 seconds. A real shame that such talent was wasted.

• Love 1

I thought it was interesting how in this scene illustrating what a nasty, sadistic creature Black Jack is, there's this one tiny bright spot about him: he's clearly a gifted artist if he can sharpen a charred piece of wood and whip up a drawing of Claire in like 30 seconds. A real shame that such talent was wasted.

Ah, but BJR later revealed that his artistic talent extends much further than charcoal and linen.  He describes Jamie's back as a masterpiece.  To someone like him, the giving and taking of pain is true and worthy art, not a quick likeness on a napkin.  It makes that drawing of Claire distinctly sinister.

Edited by bluebonnet
  • Love 5

I thought it was an interesting juxtaposition/comparison between last night's scene of Claire being kicked by the soldier, who didn't want to do it at all, while being egged on by Randall, his superior, and the scene in -- was it "Castle Leoch?" -- where Jamie was being pummeled, beyond blood being drawn, by Rupert at the urging of Dougal, his superior. Certainly they're very different situations and different men, but the similarity hit me last night.

I get the whole power-struggle Dougal has going with Jamie (which I think is really at this point just Dougal's one-sided paranoia), but it's hard for me to square the circle that is Dougal being obviously moved by Jamie's flogging (and I would think impressed by Jamie's resilience and inner strength), and then meting out a harsher-than-necessary beating on Jamie on behalf of Laoghaire.  

I figured since Black Jack's patron is the Duke of Sandringham, it makes a difference.  Officer commissions were purchased rather than earned during that time.  I assumed officers and soldiers just tacitly understood the power and money behind the commission, whether it was the officers own family or some other high ranking member of the peerage.

Still, brigadier general (which I think is what Thomas was said to be?) is quite a bit above captain, and he's the commandant of that unit/post.  Randall was being awfully lippy.  

I think that back then, before effective contraception, and with brimstone being rained down from the pulpits, most women did not go in for premarital sex.  Those that did, or widows, prostitutes, camp followers, etc. may not be all that appealing.  

Edited by annlaw78

I got my unsullied sister-in-law watching this show, though she doesn't get to watch live due to her hectic household on the weekends. Basically, I'm awaiting the shrieking phone call I'm sure to get once she finishes the episode.

I watched it with my 20 yr old daughter, she laughed when he admitted to being a virgin. She's home for the weekend , so won't get to watch the last three with her. It's fun to see her reactions.

I think there will be teasing, look at that bunch! Lol

Still, brigadier general (which I think is what Thomas was said to be?) is quite a bit above captain, and he's the commandant of that unit/post.  Randall was being awfully lippy.

Jack says something about "I know you've just arrived . . . " so I got the feeling that Jack has been running largely unsupervised for quite some time, perhaps with his own small band of hand-picked redcoats, and the power structure has only recently changed with the arrival of the brigadier and a new group of soldiers, including those officers around the table.  Even though he out-ranks Jack the general still needs him due to his more in-depth knowledge of the local area and risks so he's likely to put us with a certain amount of insubordination . . . for a while.

Yeah, I was pretty impressed with Claire's pulled-out-of-the-ass cover story until Randall wanted the guy's name. Whoops.

”I must admit, the idea of grinding your corn does tickle me." That line made me laugh out loud.

I knew he'd ask for a name, and she was slow to realize he'd ask and verify that he exists.

honeymoon originally came from the groom getting a month's supply of mead (made from honey) as a wedding gift.

Mead was thought to be (in addition to other things) an aid in fertility, making it apt for newlyweds to imbibe.

• Love 2

SNIP

Still, brigadier general (which I think is what Thomas was said to be?) is quite a bit above captain, and he's the commandant of that unit/post.  Randall was being awfully lippy.  

SNIP

Yes, very lippy and the whole fake banging off the dirt on his jacket and boots in the doorway in the line of sight of everyone was a clear message that Jack thought they were all useless strutting peacocks playing at soldiers while he was a real soldier. Then when he pored out the wine onto Scottish dirt after the general told him not to get dirt in the wine was subtle genius in showing Jack's true nature.

Not sure how historically accurate it is, but I've seen in numerous stories the same power play that was between the general, a showy in title only military officer who is newly assigned to oversee a dangerous post and insists on living the life of finery and Black Jack Randall, a real soldier who gets down and dirty in real squirmishes and disrespects the showy peacock type that are regularly rotated to his post. Usually the new gentleman General gives the BJR character a lot of lead way in his arrogance because he knows that it's the Randall's of that world that do all the dirty work. And the Randall's of that world get away with the lippy attitude because they know they're need and eventually the peacocks will leave and a new peacock will replace the last but BJR will remain.

• Love 2