Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E06: Time To Get Serious

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

In that respect I do believe the fan vote was a stupid addition to the show. It's a gimmick they don't need, and it creates unnecessary drama that the "brand" can't tolerate with its professionalism and all, y'all.

Also this season is more staged than before: Kelli walking out of the studio and turning off the lights at the end of each episode, etc.

Loren's hairstyle looked better this episode with those waves she was sporting.

As lame as the intervention was, I do appreciate the attention to the confidence aspect that can't really be covered by the main characters aka Judy and Kelli. Performing is all about confidence. Maybe Melissa Rycroft is another dumb addition to the show, but she's sort of a Greek chorus that gives some narrative. Again, none of the characters can do this: the vets are competing against the TCCs, and the coaches all have an agenda of making the team great. Nobody can really provide so much insight into the mental game.

• Love 1

I've never watched DWTS or bachelor, but I knew who Melissa was just hearing about her and that she was a former DCC (I've only watched the show for 3 seasons - need to find a way to watch old ones some time I find myself w/ a lot of time on my hands ;)). She seems to have an interesting personality and is comfortable on camera, but her style is way too casual for her role IMO. She looks like she should be walking around Target or the mall on a Saturday afternoon in the things she wears, not on a national TV show sitting next to the ever stylish and well put together J/K. Needs more makeup, less causal clothes, and hair that looks like she didn't just roll out of bed and put it in a clip or pony tail. I wonder why the producers aren't sending her to hair and makeup people? Do they not have hair and makeup services on the set of the show? It sure looks like a professional is doing Kelly and Judy's hair and makeup for them.

• Love 1

Melissa was on Good Morning America this morning previewing the new season of DWTS.   She looked very nice.  I have to think the way she is dressed on MTT is the way the producers wanted her to dress/wear her hair.   I'm not sure why she went along with it, especially the sloppy hair bun.

• Love 1

I hope they keep Alexandra, even though as Judy said before - she has bad feet.   Her feet just seem to turn the wrong way at times.   I was watching previous seasons on CMT and saw Jackie Bob in training camp and she had struggles also.   Just look how far Jackie Bob has come, she became one of the strongest DCC ever.  I believe Alexandra can be just as great.

I have only seen the online version of this episode (since someone in my family cancelled the DVR from recording it by mistake...AHHHH - that made me crazy. LOL!) but when I saw side by side comparison of Vivian in the uniform last year and this time, I sure didn't see much difference in her thighs.  Wasn't that the main issue last season?

The grandma comment the former DCC made about Chandler was cruel. Chandler must be so embarrassed seeing that playback.  And I agree that Melissa R. has not brought added value like I thought she might have.

I can't stand the editing of the meetings in Kelli's office.  They didn't explain why the vets came in with them.  They must still pair a TCC with a vet like in past seasons, but the editing never showed them waiting with them in the studio each week as in past seasons.  They chop up the footage so much it is frustrating.  If they would just take some tips from us since we know best.   Hee hee!

They didn't explain why the vets came in with them.  They must still pair a TCC with a vet like in past seasons, but the editing never showed them waiting with them in the studio each week as in past seasons.

Didn't they say the  vet was the TCC's group leader?

• Love 1

I seem to remember that Kelly asked that the group leaders with "their" rookies when each girl was called in.  I also don't think that the groups are set in stone until after Training Camp in order to both get the TCC's used to dancing in groups and to be able to shift things around should a particular group get unbalanced.  I wonder sometimes if Judy and Kelly assign "problem" TCC's and rookies to a certain group leader in the hopes that she'll help that person get better or if it's just random.  If a leader shows talent in that direction, it could be an asset, but if a lot of "her" girls wash out or get cut, it could also show that the group leader might not be as strong a teacher as Judy and Kelly thought (or at least it could be construed that way).

First, I think it's adorable that Kelli is still BFFs with her fellow DCC rookie Tina. But now I have to admit that I burst out laughing when Kelli introduced Tina Kalina. That is as bad as Julia Guglia in The Wedding Singer! Actually it's worse since Julia ended up not marrying Glenn so she escaped having a rhyming name.

While I definitely appreciate watching the girls learn a routine that is a departure from the usual dated DCC style, I disliked that Kelli and Tina said that they wanted the girls to learn a routine in a different style so that they could see who really has technique. First of all, if they are never going to perform contemporary as DCCs, what is the point in forcing them to learn this? That's like making them learn tap or pointe just to torture them. But secondly, do you know how else you find out which girls have technique? Have them do technique during auditions. It's so standard at dance auditions (whether it's for a music video, a dance company, whatever) to do across the floor and basic technique so that you can see everyone's split leaps, pirouettes, jazz walks, etc. You don't need to wait until the sixth week of training camp to bring in a different choreographer just so you can determine how many of the girls have decent technique. And after making such a big deal about bringing this guy in, we barely got to see any of the actual dancing. WTF? It's like this show about dancing is determined to show me the least amount of dancing possible.

I found it hilariuos that right after the choregrapher made the analogy about enunciating instead of mumbling and being on the right beat, the producers thought they needed to subtitle him saying they would try the routine with music next.

It's true that some dancers just do not have the ability to pick up choreography quickly. Technique and the ability to retain choreography are two different skills. Wouldn't you want to know who can pick up choreography BEFORE you're in a time crunch though?

Interesting that Tina said she liked Ashley P and then a few minutes later when they showed the entire group, Ashley was very visibly not keeping up.

As much as I hate Courtney quitting her job, she looked great during rehearsal. If that's what it took to get her up to the same level as the vets, then okay. She also looked great in her cameos, so I guess she's been using all her extra time to work out and practice the dances.

Alexandra's kicks are horrible. They are so low and she has terrible technique. She hunches her shoulders forward and pulls her stomach back and it's still not getting her leg up high enough.

I think that Kelli is pretty easy to read when it comes to calling girls into her office. I can tell by the way she greets them if they're in trouble or not. For the girls who are getting praise or just a friendly talk, she says, "Hi!" in a very bright happy cheerful way when they enter her office and she smiles at them in a very friendly way. When they are getting cut or yelled at, she says, "Hi," in a much more subdued way. I was surprised that she greeted Vivian so cheerfully because I knew she was annoyed with her for not doing the jump splits. In Vivian's defense, I did the jump splits many times in my youth, but after I pulled my hamstring (very mildly, I might add) I was so nervous to attempt them again. When they showed the side by side comparisons of her legs from last year, I thought they looked almost exactly the same but they are just darker this year (and I thought she looked fine last year too). Ha, I loved that the footage of Vivian stretching at the bar was just her putting her leg on the bar while she looked at herself in the mirror and fixed her hair.

I am so tired of Melissa having to encourage Breelan. I understand needing to gain some self confidence, but it's the same thing every week. Melissa tells her she's a great dancer and she just needs to believe in herself. And now we have to hear her give pep talks to Caila too. Ugh.

I agree that Loren's kicks didn't look pretty. Her knees are lightly bent and her toes aren't pointed. But they're way higher than Alexandra's. Ha, Kelli - "This isn't brain surgery. It's happy face and high kicks." I'm surprised that Kelli gave her the option to change her hair back. Even though Loren said she didn't want to go back to blonde, I didn't believe it. At least she was smart enough to say she wanted whatever Kelli thought was right. She looks so much more striking with that darker reddish hair. Her eyes really pop now. Before she just looked like every other bleached blonde.

Chandler has an unfortunate smile but as Judy said, that's just how she looks, so I feel a little bad for her. She just needs to practice smiling in the mirror so that she doesn't show too much gum or look like she's exaggerating her smile.

Sometimes I disagree with Kelli and Judy's critiques but I agree that Mallory is boring, Loren looked clunky but sassy, someone taught Breelan how to fling her hair, there was something fresh yet annoying about Chandler.

I'm disappointed that we saw so little of the cameos. In past seasons, I thought they dedicated an entire episode to the photo shoot.

• Love 1

Was Sydney kicking next to Vivian? This could explain why her kicks may have been off because Vivian was not giving it her all in the kick line and jump splits. Darn that pesky injury. *lol* I feel bad for Sydney because Vivian is in her group.

I had to go back and look...I couldn't remember if it was Vivian or Alexandra. It was Vivian. But her kicks weren't really all that bad and she didn't look like she was pulling on Sydney. Sydney's kicks were visibly lower than Vivians. On the other side of her was another vet (couldn't make out who...they were only shown at a distance), so I can't imagine her being pulled from that side. Could have just been a bad day. Like I said, I'm definitely not a Sydney hater. But if those are her normal kicks, I'm surprised she gets away with it.

And YES - I agree - I'd poke my eyes out if I were her and had Vivian in my group!

I'm still amazed at how quickly her hamstring "healed" after being told do the jumpsplit or leave. The girl eats BS for breakfast.

Edited by sugarplum

It cracked me up that Vivian characterized her first discussion with Kelli as, "Surprise, Viv! You're doing the jump split." It's sort of the opposite of a surprise to be told you have to do something that is obviously a requirement for the gig.

Edited by lisalionheart
  • Love 3

So they told vivian in this episode she was inconsistent with her weight this season but also to stop obsessing with her appearance... :/? I find her very annoying but...

More like they told her to stop staring at herself in the mirror so much, when she should be focusing on her dance.

• Love 1

More like they told her to stop staring at herself in the mirror so much, when she should be focusing on her dance.

I agree.  Losing weight and working on your body is different from staring at your body, hair, and face all the time.  (not that I thought Vivian needed to lose weight anyway.)  

I would love to know from an "insider" if Vivian really is that self-consumed.  I would guess most DCCs spend a lot of time staring at themselves in the mirror.  To stand out among them as self-involved must be really hard. 

• Love 1

Has anyone else wondered by Melissa did not give her one on one attention to all of the Rookies. It does not seem fair to me. Melissa said that she wanted to spend extra time with the girls that she can see in the uniform. I can understand Ashley P and maybe Caila...but Breelan is a train wreck. I really don't understand what she saw in Breelan do want to spend so much time mentoring her. I honeslty felt bad for all of the other Rookies that have been cut so far. I would think that she would work with all of the rookies. Poor Mallory didn't seem to have a fighting chance, they did not like anything about her from dance to cameos. IMO if they made it to TC they have the potential to be a DCC, so they should have all been given a chance to work with Melissa.

All of the girls that Melissa gave one on one time to makes the squad.

Also, Kelli was brutal with Vivian. She pretty much called her conceited and full of herself. Poor Sydney had to sit there and witness this brutality. When I look at Vivian and how see is portrayed it seems that she is a person who has never been this skinny in her entire life so she keeps looking at herself in the mirror. However, it is a very annoying habit. Kelli does not seem to impressed with her personality and she does not trust her injury story..so

I'm sure all of that plays apart into why she was cut.

I agree. Losing weight and working on your body is different from staring at your body, hair, and face all the time. (not that I thought Vivian needed to lose weight anyway.)

I would love to know from an "insider" if Vivian really is that self-consumed. I would guess most DCCs spend a lot of time staring at themselves in the mirror. To stand out among them as self-involved must be really hard.

I wonder if they thought Vivian did the self involved mirror staring stuff last year and they just didn't play it up on the show, or if it is a new behavior? Lol - true about how it must be hard to be a standout in that group for spending too much time looking in the mirror!

Always staring at yourself in the mirror is either a sign of self-consciousness/insecurity or a sign of conceit. Usually others will assume it's the later when they notice a person who does this, but it's probably a very fine line in Vivian's case. There's no denying that she is absolutely beautiful now, but if she grew up feeling unattractive (that was her backstory last year), she probably goes back and forth w/ how she feels about her looks so she's checking the mirror a lot to try and figure it out. Hmmm...now I'm starting to feel a little bad for her when she was majorly annoying me up to this point. The boyfriend thing probably isn't helping the situation either.

Edited by MyFavShows
  • Love 1

Not to sound like I'm Team Vivian (I'm not - I do think she has gotten a fat head since last year), but I think MyFavShows assessment is the most accurate one yet. The girl grew up as a chubster. She was kicked out of TC last year for her weight. Ontop of being weight conscious this made her more so because she wanted to make that goal of becoming a DCC come true. A job such as being an Ice Angel or DCC, you HAVE to be conscious of your look at all times. Those who aren't (vets and rookies alike), well, we've seen them circle the drain when they get tossed out of TC and off the squad. Being a DCC is not unlike the job of a model. Your looks are partially your job, ontop of your dance. Vivian's not unlike any of the other DCC being consumed in how she looks at every angle, unfortunately her moments were just caught on camera and reality TV can make a mountain of a molehill in beefing up the "drama." I don't think she's more conceited with her looks than any other DCC. I do, however, think she is insecure and self-conscious because of her past. Compared to last year though, she has definitely become more self-absorbed and like I've said in previous threads, her motive for becoming a DCC this year have kind of changed...

I always kind of chuckle when girls say on camera, "It's been my life long dream to be a DCC.." but they never explain WHY or HOW this dream came to be. For some, it's because they are THE cheerleaders of the NFL, known for their dancing, as part of a reputable organization they want to become a part of. For Vivian last year, I got the vibe that she wanted to become a part of the DCC to prove to her childhood haters that she'd not only gotten skinny but had gotten sexy AND landed herself on America's favorite team. This year, her motives are more driven by the celebrity factor of becoming a DCC, hence why her dance has slacked. She thinks she has it in the bag, she wants another thousand some Facebook friends.

I am just surprised that Kelli didn't send her home right then and there on her second office visit during this episode. Something redeeming must've gone down that was edited out - in an odd way with all the "fun" talk, might I add - because the way it was going and how those kind of meetings have gone down in seasons past, she should have been home bound.

Edited by homelife

Kelly and Judy are overjoyed at the idea that Vivian may not make the DCC - it was clear they  couldn't stand her last year - but they are trying to behave better than they did last year. I suspect they caught flack for their mean girl attitudes toward Vivian and others once this series went on the air. Thus the calm rational talks with Vivian and a minimum of unprofessional snark. However, she and Judy showed their continued bias by publicly dressing down Vivian for her self-absorption. That's a very nasty thing to do.

There are some phenomenal dancers this year. Too bad we don't get to see more of their work.

Edited by pasdetrois

Kelly and Judy are overjoyed at the idea that Vivian may not make the DCC - it was clear they  couldn't stand her last year - but they are trying to behave better than they did last year. I suspect they caught flack for their mean girl attitudes toward Vivian and others once this series went on the air. Thus the calm rational talks with Vivian and a minimum of unprofessional snark. However, she and Judy showed their continued bias by publicly dressing down Vivian for her self-absorption. That's a very nasty thing to do.

There are some phenomenal dancers this year. Too bad we don't get to see more of their work.

They HAD to take her because she was the fan vote winner. If they didn't like her ( I think they do) they wouldn't have brought her back to TC to see if she improved. 

They HAD to take her because she was the fan vote winner. If they didn't like her ( I think they do) they wouldn't have brought her back to TC to see if she improved. 

Eh, I think they'd skew the fan vote if they felt like a horrible dancer won it. I think they brought her back to TC not because they liked her, but because they knew it would be a good storyline.

I have mixed feelings on the whole fan vote subject:

*I don't like it because the finalists "get" their friends and family to vote for them which will probably makes up a majority of the vote. Both winners from this/last year's vote  admitted they did that.

*I do like it because it gives fans like us fans a chance to vote on who we want to make it to TC. We're voting based on their looks and that short video of them dancing; not because we know them personally.

Edited by MrsEVH
  • Love 1

In regards to the fan vote, they still limit the girls eligible for it to some really talented dances who kelli has said would've scored high enough to make it into camp anyway. They're not bumping anyone phenomenal. And yes, getting family and friends to vote is kind of the point...they're fans.

Late to the party. Vivian cracks me up and not in a good way. She couldn't even stop staring at herself in the 1/2 second Barre class clip.

And her schtick in the office? "I wasn't sure it was okay for a rookie to be fun"?? Are you kidding me?

She annoyed me so much I couldn't even get anything out of the rest of the show.... except to say that no one needed Melissa's mentoring segment. And I say that as one of the few posters who actually like Melissa most of the time.

Edited by SanLynn

Ok so I do not care for Vivian because something does seem off about her, but I think they are editing the show to make her seem bad. Last year they received a lot of bad feedback for cutting her and this year they are trying to show us that she deserves it if it happens. I'm sure all of those girls check themselves out in the mirror. I can't walk by a car window or a store window without checking myself out. When I was cheering, I would stare at myself while I did things just because there was a huge mirror there. I'm not self-absorbed, but I can't help it if I see a mirror. I think if they wanted to, they could find at least 5 clips for each of the other girls. With that said, Vivian has not been helping herself at all since the meeting when she mentioned her thousands of facebook fans. I feel like Training camp is like a game, and she did not know how to play it well. Dancing well can only take you so far (and apparently she wasn't doing that either).

I still don't know why they're still keeping Alexandra... I could have picked the final team in less than a month (and some of the girls who made it, would not have if it was me.)

I just re-watched the episode, and here are my thoughts.

I loved it when DJ Guthrie told Breelan to stop tucking her chin.  That habit of hers has started to really annoy me- like he said, it adds tension to her body language and, to make matters worse, makes her look like she has a double chin.

Loren's new hair is great.  Her blonde hair did not agree with her complexion at all and made her look very red.

I like Alexandra, but she can't dance or kick.  For some reason Kelli and Judy seem to love girls who can't dance or kick as long as they're pretty.

I was confused when Chandler was still there at the end of the episode after her disastrous cameo shoot.  The pattern has generally been those girls who don't photograph well are cut.

Brittney Schram's blouse is bigger on the inside!

I say we create a drinking game where every time you hear that cymbal roll on the episode, you do a shot.  Seriously, editors, if those cymbal rolls were shots, we'd all be passed out drunk.

Edited by ClosetBachJunkie
  • Love 2

I say we create a drinking game where every time you hear that cymbal roll on the episode, you do a shot. Seriously, editors, if those cymbal rolls were shots, we'd all be passed out drunk.

Thank you for this comment! I had mentioned the cymbal rolls in the show improvement thread. I thought I was the only one who was annoyed by it. It is even worse if you're watching on the laptop with ear buds on.

I read somewhere that Kelli told Vivian to try out again. I don;t think Judy and Kelli disliked her last year.

I think that a poster on TWOP spotted Kelli tweeting Vivian last year encouraging Vivian to reaudition....

I think that a poster on TWOP spotted Kelli tweeting Vivian last year encouraging Vivian to reaudition....

Which begs the question of if they wanted her for her storyline on the show or were actually interested in her being a DCC. I'd wager on the former being a bigger motive. The latter seems more of a shrug. They don't ever seem to have trouble finding enough good dancers no matter how much fuss they make about the iffier ones in training camp.

I am NOT a Vivian fan, but I got a little uncomfortable watching Kelli call her out for her self-absorption.  How humiliating to have that aired on television (kind of like the crack about Chandler looking like a grandma....bet that felt great when she watched the show later).  I tend to agree with whoever said that Vivian was a chubby child and probably does spend a lot of time looking in the mirror because it's amazing to see oneself look like she does when you start off heavy (I had gastric bypass 7 years ago, don't look anywhere near as good as Vivian, and I still look in the mirror when I walk by one).  That said, I do think she is starring in "The Vivian Show" in her own mind (or, at least, that is the way CMT is making it look).  DCC is big about being a team player and she is not doing herself any favors by acting like she thinks she is some celebrity.

Oh, I had to laugh at the preview for this week when it showed the clip of Kelli and Judy saying something about that being the most bizarre behavior ever.  As I recall, they said something very similar after the now infamous cutting of the chick who looked like Julia Roberts (never can remember her name).  This show is truly my guilty pleasure and I hate that it goes by so fast.  I can't wait to see who gets the axe (and acts weird!) this week. 

Meagan Flaherty.  I seem to remember that Kelly and Judy seemed to say that there were only three more cuts to be made, but there are four girls who don't seem to make the team (unless I'm missing a name when I look at the squad picture).  Don't 

Mallory, Vivian, Chandler and Alexandra

get cut somewhere between now and the last episode?

Mallory was cut on last week's show.

Meagan Flaherty.  I seem to remember that Kelly and Judy seemed to say that there were only three more cuts to be made, but there are four girls who don't seem to make the team (unless I'm missing a name when I look at the squad picture).  Don't 

Mallory, Vivian, Chandler and Alexandra

get cut somewhere between now and the last episode?

I was replaying the episode and at one point they showed a close-up of Vivian and she frowned and moved her head back and forth like she was dodging a bee or talking to herself.  That was strange, I wonder why they showed that.   I used to like her last year, but not this time around.  Maybe it is the editing, or just seeing more of her is not a good thing.