Type keyword(s) to search

Utopia (US) The Animals & Their Treatment

I have so had it. I am just going to go right to the source. The executive producer Jon Kroll, I am sending him this tweet. If ANYONE feels the same way, pass this on to anyone else who cares about animals. They don't need to have seen the show, we just need people to send outraged tweets. If you know younger kids, they will get on the bandwagon about things like this. Have them send a tweet for you!  It doesn't matter if they have seen the show. We just need outraged tweets at @hippykid 

Here's mine: 

@hippykid  Why is Bri allowed to force feed the calf again?  The Vets said no Bri. Why is this ignored? #BriAbusesCows  #FreeTheMootopians

My name is the same, same avatar too (That's Barney, RIP little fella)

• Love 4

At this point I'm just weary. I fear they're going to try to make some kind of plot line here around animal care as eviction drama. Red suddenly disappears for unknown "medical" reasons. Bri gets back with the animals. The vet tattles on her to Bella, who she's up against for elimination.

Then there's this:  

Jon Kroll @hippykid  ·  4h

@Mys_Moore We think they will not ignore America's vote as much as they've suggested they will.

Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I will be non-shocked if Red doesn't make it back in time to self-evict, so it winds up Bella vs Bri all set up for drama about the animals. I don't think I'll be able to even hatewatch this anymore if they're continuing to allow them to be hurt so they can get a few more days of story for the show.

• Love 2

The Utopians won't believe Bella. Yeah, this is probably all a sham, I just want Bri and her animal abusing ways gone. I am NOT a fan of the show and find it to be stupid. I am only here because of the animal treatment at this point. If this idiot Kroll THINKS that is the way to build an audience, think again bucko, think again.  I have asked my daughter to ask all of her high school friends to tweet, so we maybe can get this going if people just ask others to send outraged and nasty tweets to this moron. 

• Love 3

The vets were seen talking to Taylor as well and there could have been more the cameras missed. However, in eviction politics discussions, who knows how these things will go. The vet needed to sit everybody down and give them all the info together. But that would be less drama.

• Love 1
I have so had it. I am just going to go right to the source. The executive producer Jon Kroll, I am sending him this tweet. If ANYONE feels the same way, pass this on to anyone else who cares about animals. They don't need to have seen the show, we just need people to send outraged tweets.

Yeah, I think I'm going to start cc'ing the humane society into my tweets to Kroll and asking them to stop the animal neglect at Utopia.

Edited by ElleryAnne
  • Love 2

After reading the report from the Joker poster guy who visited, I'm seriously alarmed about the fly swarms he observed on the cows.  (Also in the kitchen--these people are disgusting.)  I know they have fly-off powder--are they saving it?  Too lazy to apply it?  Too cheap to replenish the supply?

As I posted in the live feed thread, animals overwhelmed with flies are utterly miserable and it's not something that would show up clearly on the feeds.  Does anyone know if they've dusted the cows lately? 

I'd feel better if Red would come back.

• Love 1

Does anyone know how Twitter works at all? Can a person delete a tweet sent to them? Kroll has never responded to my tweets, in fact, I don't even see them in his list, OR the others that I know were sent.  I have a very bad feeling that this Kroll guy is very much like Bri. He LIKES all the negative publicity and just spins or ignores the comments. 

• Love 1
He LIKES all the negative publicity and just spins or ignores the comments.

I know he gets annoyed by some of the comments, because I've seen him respond to a few and he comes across as arrogant and irritable.  But I'm sure he also ignores plenty of the tweets he gets. (I don't know if he can delete them.  I don't think so.  I think only the sender can delete.)   I suspect he has a handful of people he'll respond to more often just because they're more active.  And if you hashtag anything that makes him uncomfortable or you include anyone else as a recipient of the tweet, he seems more likely to respond - probably because he knows more people will see the tweet.

I don't know if I am doing it correctly at all, but my account shows the tweets, but I cannot see them on his page. I have hashtagged the following: 

#BriAbusesCows   #FreeTheMootopians and #SaveTheMootopians 

I guess I don't really understand how it works. I only signed up to tweet at them. I have to say that when I look at the lists of tweets, the issue with the animals seems like very few. Classic Bystander Effect, Diffusion of Responsibility, and Pluralistic Ignorance. 

DeLurker: I haven't watched the show since week 1, but if anyone has and remembers the sponsors, then I can do that. I looked on the website and I did not see any sponsors on there either. 

Edited by riverheightsnancy

Other than saying Hex has jewelry for sale or advertising their open house, I have not seen any of the inmates respond direct to Tweets; are they seeing them or are they being filtered?  You can block Tweets from showing up - I wonder if the powers-that-be are doing that with any negative Tweets.

I suppose they could be blocking my tweets. I tweeted directly to @hippykid. That is Jon Kroll's page, the executive producer and I had other people tweet to him as well and honestly, I looked through there and I do not see them. I see them on my side in my profile, but on his page, nope. I suppose tweeting at other entities may be the better way as backformore suggested. I don't really know how Twitter works. So, I am just not sure of any of it. I have tried to avoid this and FB, but I felt compelled to try to get the word out. 

I suppose they could be blocking my tweets. I tweeted directly to @hippykid. That is Jon Kroll's page, the executive producer and I had other people tweet to him as well and honestly, I looked through there and I do not see them. I see them on my side in my profile, but on his page, nope. I suppose tweeting at other entities may be the better way as backformore suggested. I don't really know how Twitter works. So, I am just not sure of any of it. I have tried to avoid this and FB, but I felt compelled to try to get the word out. 

You'd have to expand conversations as just sending a Tweet to @TwitterName won't necessarily cause the Tweet to show up in the feed.

And to bring this back on topic ... I hope the vets get there soon (why it took them this long to call the vets to examine Honey is mind-boggling), gather all the inmates and read them the riot act as well as stressing that Bri is NOT to feed the calf as she is doing more harm than good.

Edited by OakGoblinFly

I watched about 20 minutes of the latest ep On Demand just for the commercials.  Sadly, I could not fast forward to them and had to watch some of the ep.  They make me twitchy.

Anyway, these were the advertisers that came up in the first two commercial breaks.  I looked them up on twitter and this is what I got.  Have no idea why some are @ and some are #.

@Aflac
#McDonald’s
@boostmobile
@TMobile
#ATT
@Target
@DiscoverCotton

Also @HumaneSociety

Found this tweet:

Jane McKee ‏@JaneMcKee1 53m

@Peta @HumaneSociety Cows are being mistreated on the Fox TV show Utopia, based in Santa Clarita, CA. Please help! #SavetheMootopians

But I only found a total of 3 tweets when I searched #SavedtheMootopians.

ETA:  I signed up for Twitter just to connect with the sponsors on this.  My basic message is: @WHOMITMAYCONCERN gross mistreatment of animals televised & live feeds on Utopia FOX. Please do not support w ad revenue.

Edited by DeLurker

Thanks DeLurker and riverheightsnancy!

I retweeted the tweet from Jane McKee a few minutes ago.  (My handle is steph1sun on Twitter.)

While a member of Twitter for years now, I have only tweeted a few times and still don't have a handle on how it works for whatever reason.  Anyway, a campaign to sponsors sounds like a good bet at this point.  I'll try to work on something later this evening when I have some time. 

Again, thanks for your time and effort concerning the animals...I can't understand why there is not more of an uproar.

I watched about 20 minutes of the latest ep On Demand just for the commercials. Sadly, I could not fast forward to them and had to watch some of the ep. They make me twitchy.

Anyway, these were the advertisers that came up in the first two commercial breaks. I looked them up on twitter and this is what I got. Have no idea why some are @ and some are #.

@Aflac

#McDonald’s

@boostmobile

@TMobile

#ATT

@Target

@DiscoverCotton

Also @HumaneSociety

Found this tweet:

@Peta @HumaneSociety Cows are being mistreated on the Fox TV show Utopia, based in Santa Clarita, CA. Please help! #SavetheMootopians

ETA: I signed up for Twitter just to connect with the sponsors on this. My basic message is: @WHOMITMAYCONCERN gross mistreatment of animals televised & live feeds on Utopia FOX. Please do not support w ad revenue.

That's my tweet, thanks for retweeting. I will tweet the sponsors you listed and add #StopAnimalAbuse to reach more tweeters.

Does anyone know how Twitter works at all? Can a person delete a tweet sent to them? Kroll has never responded to my tweets, in fact, I don't even see them in his list, OR the others that I know were sent.  I have a very bad feeling that this Kroll guy is very much like Bri. He LIKES all the negative publicity and just spins or ignores the comments. 

I'm sure I know less about Twitter than you, but I would guess someone can block another person's tweets.  Kroll probably has a production assistant block people after they send the first critical tweet.  (I was shocked when the Joker feedster reported that Jon Kroll ran out and welcomed the visitors to Utopia.  I guess it's the big man himself in the air-conditioned booth hidden in the barn.  I hope they're having a fly problem in there.)

The HFA--Humane Farming Association--is a fine organization and a reputable 501©3 charity.  (Please consider a gift!)  They investigate and battle abusive farm animal practices/situations that are truthfully far more desperate than our Moo-topes, but they do have a FB page and if you figure out how to CC the name in a tweet, it might catch a PA's attention.

• Love 1

I watched about 20 minutes of the latest ep On Demand just for the commercials.  Sadly, I could not fast forward to them and had to watch some of the ep.  They make me twitchy.

Anyway, these were the advertisers that came up in the first two commercial breaks.  I looked them up on twitter and this is what I got.  Have no idea why some are @ and some are #.

@Aflac

#McDonald’s

@boostmobile

@TMobile

#ATT

@Target

@DiscoverCotton

Also @HumaneSociety

Found this tweet:

ETA:  I signed up for Twitter just to connect with the sponsors on this.  My basic message is: @WHOMITMAYCONCERN gross mistreatment of animals televised & live feeds on Utopia FOX. Please do not support w ad revenue.

If you want to reach more people in the Twitterverse it might be best to create a handle that isn't that specific ..... something that would show up if a person searches for animals a simple #Savethecows #savethebabycalf .... at least I think that's how it works.

• Love 1

If you want to reach more people in the Twitterverse it might be best to create a handle that isn't that specific ..... something that would show up if a person searches for animals a simple #Savethecows #savethebabycalf .... at least I think that's how it works.

#StopAnimalAbuse is already out there, so that's a good one to use.

I'm not really an animal person, and this shit is pissing me off.   And I firmly blame production for this.  It's unfair to expect a bunch of people to know how to take care of farm animals without training.  That doesn't let the Stupidopians off the hook though, since many of them (Bri) are being particularly malicious (Bri).

Of course, now that the Stupidopians have access to the internet, the least they could do is look up this stuff on the internet so they're better equipped to deal with the animals.   Aargh.  I hate everyone in this situation.

Looking at the list of sponsors, I think McDonald's would be a particularly good one to go after.  Whether or not it's actually true, they've tried to cultivate a PR image of having their suppliers treat animals humanely.  They would probably be sensitive to this kind of criticism.

• Love 4

Thanks for that info-just did it. I hope to tweet at all those sponsors, just been so busy tonight and I work all day tomorrow. 

According to the feeds at Jokers, the vets said AGAIN today that Bri was purposely underfeeding.  I HATE her with the passion of a thousand burning suns. 

What is this - the THIRD visit where Bri has been singled out as underfeeding the cows!

How the freaking heck does this not resonate with the other idiots, err, topians?

How the freaking heck does this not resonate with the producers?

How the freaking heck does this not resonate with the vets?

Are they real vets?  How long do they expect this to go on?  How much do they care about their personal reputations? Are they being restricted from the feed the same way the rest of you are?  Is it time for them to sue?

• Love 2

What is this - the THIRD visit where Bri has been singled out as underfeeding the cows!

How the freaking heck does this not resonate with the other idiots, err, topians?

How the freaking heck does this not resonate with the producers?

How the freaking heck does this not resonate with the vets?

Are they real vets?  How long do they expect this to go on?  How much do they care about their personal reputations? Are they being restricted from the feed the same way the rest of you are?  Is it time for them to sue?

Weird that I am citing my own post, but I went to the live feed place and found most of my comments answered.

Thanks to all of you who are tweeting and doing whatever you can.  Am in the final week of selling my home of 32 years and freaking a bit, so I am reading and obsessed by this forum, but not willing to go further right now.  Hope you all understand.

• Love 1

Just tweeted and asked for the help of the Los Angeles Times TV critic and a New York Times reporter who did a recent story on how more and more, convicted animal abusers are going to jail.

Edited by ZSweetJane
  • Love 2

Yup, I saw that article today too ZSweetJane. I sent it to someone, at Utopia. Probably just got ignored though. Originally (way back in this thread) or the Live Feed thread, I sent emails to all the local TV stations in Santa Clarita, Peta, the ASPCA. I did get a personal response from the person who runs the ASPCA there. If you want her email, I can give it to you as well.  The group that the article talked about, they have a Facebook page, maybe we can contact them too? I am not on Facebook though.  If we could get a group protesting at the gate, then THAT would help. If I lived close to CA, I would do it, but I am in NJ. 

Edited by riverheightsnancy

To ZSweetjane   This is what was said: 

Hi L,

I have received your email. We had an officer inspect the premises and will do what we can to ensure the health and safety of the animals. They were fine when we inspected. The Humane Society monitors all filming in movie sets and filming locations. If you have the live feed maybe you could send it to us, so we can see what you are seeing and further investigate. Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention.

Thank you,

~Karen

I wrote this: 

Hello Karen,

There is currently a reality television show being filmed in Santa Clarita, CA, called Utopia.  People all across the US have been watching the show and in particular the uncensored live feeds. The live feeds illustrate abject animal cruelty going on at the compound and this situation is starting an internet groundswell of outrage against Fox, the TV show participants and the producers of the show. If you could investigate or put pressure on the producers/Fox to, at the very least,  do the right thing for the animals,  the viewers would really appreciate it. We don't know what to do to help the animals and the live feeds are showing the cows starving and none of the "Utopians" are willing to learn or help them.  The live feed viewers are up in arms about what they are seeing and are starting to organize to get the cruelty stopped.   Thank you for anything that you can do.  L

This is her address  Karen Stepp <KStepp@animalcare.lacounty.gov>  

If anyone has specific video footage, THEN that may help. I don't have any of the video. I actually cannot watch the feeds. I had received an email back from PETA too, but I think that it was more of an automated thing. The ASPCA, was specifically to me. 

• Love 1

I went to the show's website today and sent an email telling them to either remove the animals NOW or have a legitimate veterinary student intern full-time onsite. If not, I will be contacting all of the sponsors to tell them that I won't be buying their products in the meantime.

I also added a reply on Facebook where Bri was being discussed and I flat out said that she is a fucking sociopath!

Since I had been waiting for Big Brother to wrap up, I didn't watch any episodes of Utopia on my TiVo until Friday night. Got caught up on it and then read the entire live feed discussion after that.

I was used to checking the BB one throughout my work days but quickly discovered today that reading Utopia's during the day is a bad idea. I just felt so sick after reading about what happened with the cows since Sunday night and I had a difficult time focusing on work after reading the latest. I was absolutely livid with anger and also felt like crying at the same time.

Edited by Scout Finch
  • Love 2

It's taking a long time, but I'm cautiously optimistic that the animal care will improve.  The vet who visited over the weekend (as a visitor) was heard basically saying that the vets are catching a lot of heat regarding the abuse.  My interpretation is this:  The vets believe their reputation is being affected negatively due to the animal neglect/abuse, and they are not pleased.

• Love 2

Are the vets names known?

I'd like to try to contact them to express how concerning it is to watch the animals and the Topes.  Not publicly since there is a limit on how much they can do.

And while I hate the ineptitude shown in the care of the animals, and I LOATHE Bri's treatment, the bulk of my ire is for production for letting this continue and for FOX for not intervening.

• Love 2

OK - my expanded list of advertisers airing during the most recent Utopia (S1 E 7).  I've also included celebrities starring in the ads.

• @Aflac
  • #McDonald’s
  • @boostmobile
  • @TMobile
  • #ATT
  • @Target
  • @DiscoverCotton
  • #HaydenPanetierre
  • @GalaxyNote4News
  • @Gap
  • @amypoehler
  • @subaru_usa
  • @olivegarden
  • @National_Geo
  • @MyStraightTalk
  • @Outback
  • @StateFarm
  • @FiberOne

I've tweeter all of them asking them not to support the program with their ad revenues because of the animal mistreatment.

ETA: Perhaps a more organized group may be given more attention, but I figure I'll do what I can.

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 4

I don't think from what I saw of the vets visit that they were saying Bri was underfeeding the cows now, they were confirming that she had done so previously.

From what I saw, they credited Taylor with the cows having enough food now. They also commented that the calf has had way more human contact than normal and that she is a pet now. There's certainly the possibility I'm just jaded against Bri but I don't remember anyone giving her credit. It was an interesting conversation. Its possible I could have misinterpreted something, though.

Gotcha my mistake from reading the feeds. However, the fact that she keeps going there and trys to be involved, is SOOO upsetting. She force fed the calf AFTER she was told not to by Red.

I was one of the posters that posted about the vet visit and my impression of it. They complimented Taylor for turning around the cows care so quickly. Bri was standing right there, silent, for the whole conversation. If there's a mistake there, it's mine to own. I don't like her around the animals, either. It reeks of trying to "save face" now that she has become aware her abuse is documented for anyone to see. Except for the people she is currently residing with.

Good work, you guys. I am praying for this show's immediate cancelation on grounds of gross animal mistreatment and I hope Kroll and de Mol are slapped with some hefty fines, while having their names dragged through the mud.

• Love 3

How long will it last? 

I have no faith in these people to maintain the up-keep of these animals and even less in the production team to keep them safe.  The inmates might have improved their care, but that is only due to pressure from the vets, production (a direct result of public outrage) but I have no doubt they will slip as soon as the weather turns colder/wetter.

Unless Bri is removed from the compound I still fear she will find a way to harm the animals.  She's demonstrated time and again that she doesn't listen to anyone and is more interested in sex with Chris (and whomever she wants to join the party) than in being a productive member of the group.  Her "reform" is short lived.

• Love 3

Ultimately, the cows will go somewhere whether it is next month or next year. That is a fact. We cannot change that. Personally,  I can't drink milk and only eat eggs that are local 100% free range organic from our local farm store, which I try to support with my purchases. I don't eat chicken as a matter of course, part is due to treatment as well. I try only to eat wild caught fish or grass fed (again local) beef. Personally, I have been 100% vegetarian and then vegan at different points in my life, and those choices were always due to the treatment of the animals in corporate farming. (I read Animal Farm in HS and I just couldn't eat meat/flesh AT ALL for years after that).  I would NEVER buy a dog/cat from a pet store as those are just as bad. When I hear or read about the puppy mills, it just kills me. 

I think a lot of us have learned over the years that animal farming is not a lovely business at all. There are bad and better farms though. However, for myself, my outrage grew out of the fact that this show is supposed to be ENTERTAINMENT and that is where I draw the line. I tuned in for the snark, NOT for what was encountered on the feeds. I never complained when on Survivor they killed a chicken to eat. It never appeared that they were harming the animal. If it happened, if was never shown or rumored on the internet that I ever saw.  The chickens getting out on accident and the Survivors running around in a panic and they couldn't catch them was always cause for lots of amusement in my house. Or their inability to snorkle to catch a fish. Or when they caught a fish smaller than 2 inches and their excitement over how good they would eat that night. Great amusement in their ineptitude! Bri is the first person who admitted of her own free will and was seen doing something that I found really disturbing in regard to the animals. For myself, that was the impetus for all of this. I would agree with many of the other posters about the talk of the overt bullying as well. This show is a mess on so many levels. As soon as I feel like the animals are being cared for, or Bri is gone, then I am out. 

In addition, the comment about Rob, obviously PETA received many, many comments. I never personally complained about Rob, but others may have.