Type keyword(s) to search

Utopia (US) The Animals & Their Treatment

... the animals will be shipped off ...

Ultimately, the cows will go somewhere whether it is next month or next year. That is a fact. We cannot change that.

someone could probably get a few people organized and BUY that calf.   

then give it to someone.   {pet cow, petting zoo cow, artisan dairy farm, etc}

btw, if the Utes don't own the cows, I doubt they own the calf.  

Edited by clod
  • Love 1

How long will it last? 

I have no faith in these people to maintain the up-keep of these animals and even less in the production team to keep them safe.  The inmates might have improved their care, but that is only due to pressure from the vets, production (a direct result of public outrage) but I have no doubt they will slip as soon as the weather turns colder/wetter.

Unless Bri is removed from the compound I still fear she will find a way to harm the animals.  She's demonstrated time and again that she doesn't listen to anyone and is more interested in sex with Chris (and whomever she wants to join the party) than in being a productive member of the group.  Her "reform" is short lived.

This is my worry as well. The other thing to keep in mind is that they will be getting another calf any day now. Isn't Betsy pretty close to being due? So what happens then? Unless one of the NewTopians is great with animal care and has a good work ethic, these lazy asses are likely to resent having to do the additional work for another animal. They really just need to give up on the whole farm concept and remove those poor animals before it can get bad again - or even get worse. These people buy all the food they eat except for eggs anyway.

Edited by Rapunzel
  • Love 1

I'm still not clear about what was wrong with the one cow whose udder appeared to be sensitive and who milked looked like strawberry.

Was it an infection?  Is it cleared up???

Inquiring minds want to know.

thanks

• Love 1

They don't really show much of the cows and their treatment anymore. They mute a lot of info about the cows and vet visits. That was their way of handling the (us) troublemakers whose only concern was proper animal treatment on an entertainment show.  They could have done the right thing IF they wanted to. I hope Cal really is as he seems. His real bio seems too good to be true. 

• Love 1

They don't really show much of the cows and their treatment anymore. They mute a lot of info about the cows and vet visits. That was their way of handling the (us) troublemakers whose only concern was proper animal treatment on an entertainment show.  They could have done the right thing IF they wanted to. I hope Cal really is as he seems. His real bio seems too good to be true. 

Then PETA needs to make a surprise inspection.  So very short-sighted of the powers that be ---- and all for a show that is tanking.

Then PETA needs to make a surprise inspection.  So very short-sighted of the powers that be ---- and all for a show that is tanking.

PETA doesn't have that kind of power. They're not a governmental agency. It'd need to be the local officials that handle animal control and abuse issues in the county they're in.

• Love 1

You mean because her hips and ribs show? That's really not unusual for a dairy cow. In fact, it's the norm. Dairy cows convert most of their feed into milk, and don't carry extra flesh.

Don't get me wrong - I know the cows have been underfed, and I hate all these people for the lack of care they've given all the animals. I just wanted to point out that they aren't overly thin for their type.

This is a drawing of the "ideal" cow of Honey and Betsy's breed, for reference.

http://i.imgur.com/XKrBGE8.jpg

• Love 4

DeLurker, I was just at a big dairy conference, and you have no idea how many "udder/utter" puns I saw on t-shirts there. ;-)

I am still so pissed about the chicken "prank". Birds have no defenses after dark. They are practically comatose, ergo "sitting ducks". Imagine if someone came into your house while you were sleeping, moved you somewhere else, and you woke up to people shrieking and chasing you. So much damned hate.

And if any of these idiots had bothered to learn anything about chickens, or ANY bird, they would know that if you simply turned off the lights and left them alone, they would settle back down to roost and you could easily pick them up and take them anywhere. Ugh.

Off topic:  I so want to know what goes on at a dairy conference!  It never occurred to me that there would be conferences for that industry.  Are they held in Vegas like so many other conferences?

Nope, Wisconsin. Think Westminster Dog Show, but with cows. lol

• Love 3

Off topic:  I so want to know what goes on at a dairy conference!  It never occurred to me that there would be conferences for that industry.  Are they held in Vegas like so many other conferences?

I really care about these animals - the people are there voluntarily and can leave anytime they want (some not soon enough), but the chickens and the cows are stuck with these dopes.

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 2

I really care about these animals - the people are there voluntarily and can leave anytime they want (some not soon enough), but the chickens and the cows are stuck with these dopes.

If it makes you feel any better, those chickens are living the high-end 1%-er life for chickens, even taking into account being tossed around like hand grenades that night.

• Love 1

I just watched the episodes showing the cows food being withheld and then watching all these idiots rip the calf from its mother just to sell it.

I've had horses and cattle while growing up and we always had a set weaning age.

It was upsetting to see the lives of innocent animals are in the hands of a bunch of ignorant TV reality people.

Animals should not be used for TV shows without handlers.

I wouldn't let Bri pet my dog let alone take over feeding and daily care of livestock.

That takes experience and commitment

Both of which she has yet to have

That link opens an error page

• Love 2

These people are better, but they're still disappointing.  Even knowing the chickens' egg production drops when they're stressed, Mike decided to play a joke starring the unfortunate chickens.  This weekend, he tossed one of the chicken into the love shack while Chris and Bri were getting it on.  He tried to throw a few more in, but he couldn't catch them.  Sounds like fun!  Next, why don't we hold the bottle just a little too far for Cash to reach, and listen to her cry with hunger!  Games for sadists.

• Love 2

You go, cow! Literally.

I saw a brief mention of a rumor about Bri and a chick in the live feed thread but don't have the stomach to read anymore about it. However, it did prompt me go look up animal abuse laws in California. Even without video evidence of that possible crime, there is still plenty of video and live feed transcript evidence showing her committing a multitude of these offensives: https://www.animallaw.info/statute/ca-cruelty-consolidated-cruelty-and-penal-code-sections 

Oh, look, there's even a handy dandy way to report her:  http://www.ndaa.org/animal_abuse_home.html

ETA: It took me three or four times to get this to post since both my cats took a turn lumbering over my laptop here at the kitchen table. Despite my best attempts, I was unsuccessful in moving 18 lb. and 12 lb. cats before they could cancel the post. After I jokingly said I was about to kill a kitty, I realized the irony! The one in the picture is Scout--two years ago when he was only a few months old and weighed about 15 lbs. less.

Edited by Scout Finch
  • Love 4

Are those really Topes milking in the dusk or is the production staff wearing masks to fool the cameras?

I'd have shock & awe for any Tope who left a fun party to go take care of the cows, especially cows who have mastered the technique of face-peeing.

Let's see some driver licenses, boys.

• Love 1

Are those really Topes milking in the dusk or is the production staff wearing masks to fool the cameras?

Wouldn't production just point the cameras elsewhere instead of risk a mask getting knocked off or whatever? Seems simpler than bothering to try to fill the cameras.

...in the live feed threat....

Scout Finch...best typo ever! If that doesn't doesn't sum up the experience of watching feeds of this show, I don't know what would!!!!

Edited by pennben
  • Love 1

Phew!!!  I gotta say you guys, I get nervous whenever I open the parent Utopia (US) forum and see that this thread has been updated, because I'm worried about what fresh new hell these Dopes might have put the animals through.

Reading a classic revenge story from the perspective of the cows, though- that was a great treat after Sunday brunch!  High hooves all around, indeed! :D

• Love 3
(edited)

So pissed that Taylor admitted hitting/slapping Honey. What an utter f'in loser.  Amanda should be worried what these one's will do to the baby if it crys too much. For real. Does she REALLY think that one of them wouldn't shake the baby? You hear about it all the time on the local news. If they think that the cows are a frustration, wait until the baby cries on and off all day (like mine did). It can frustrate even the most level-headed person.  I want to start tweeting Kroll again about this, but he probably has blocked me. Seriously, why are none of the Tops upset about admission of hurting the animals/ I wish I knew what Red thinks about it.  I don't think any of them have any spine and are willing to stand up for what is right. This show is a complete sham. 

Edited by riverheightsnancy
  • Love 2

I totally agree that it's wrong to kick or punch or hit cows.  But, the show is really setting these people up for failure.  If you don't know how to deal with animals, then you are going to get frustrated.  It's not fair to the animals, and it's not fair to the cast.  And sure, better people would not lash out at the cows from their frustration, but they cast a lot of shitty or immature people.  So they cast shitty or immature people, and put them in a frustrating position, and then the cows get the brunt of it.    Aargh.  I'm annoyed with everyone on this show.

• Love 2