Type keyword(s) to search

Marry Me - General Discussion

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

I didn't like the pediatric office scene too much though.  It was completely obvious that they would go to the wrong office, but I didn't think that was successfully funny.  I like when comedy actually surprises me.

I agree.  Also - and I feel like I'm missing something obvious here but - what "sample" would the receptionist have been asking Jake to give at a pediatrician's office? 

• Love 1

I agree.  Also - and I feel like I'm missing something obvious here but - what "sample" would the receptionist have been asking Jake to give at a pediatrician's office?

Urine? I guess where I thought it fell apart was that it was obvious they weren't with a child. Oh well, only downside of this episode. I totally forgot about the "raw toast". That was so funny!

• Love 1

"And I voted for the black guy.... in BuzzFeed's "Whos Your Favorite Happy Endings Character?" poll."

HA! That might be my favorite line of the season, no matter how strange it is that Happy Endings exists in this universe and Annie apparently watchs it. Perhaps in a future episode we'll find out Annie's secret identity is actress Casey Wilson.

FYI, there really is a "Which Happy Endings character are you?" poll: http://www.buzzfeed.com/christianzamora/which-happy-endings-character-are-you

I kinda remember Casey in an interview talking about taking that BuzzFeed quiz and she would always get Brad.

Edited by Batt Mastersly
  • Love 7

OK, to me this is the episode where the series really clicked into place and I liked it without reservation. Everybody was funny (even Dennah), the banter buzzed along, seeds were planted early that paid off later... it was just really fun and satisfying.

• Love 5

OK, to me this is the episode where the series really clicked into place and I liked it without reservation. Everybody was funny (even Dennah), the banter buzzed along, seeds were planted early that paid off later... it was just really fun and satisfying.

I agree. In too many episodes, the non Penny/Boyfriend characters have seemed like a greek chorus, and loathsome Gil was given the B plots. This felt like the first episode that could stand up to Happy Endings, and I floved the HE shoutout. Hope we get more!

• Love 1
OK, to me this is the episode where the series really clicked into place and I liked it without reservation

Thats what I felt too, this was about the same period in Happy Endings (around episodes 10-13) when most people seemed to agree that the show was finding it's footing after it's slow start with it's awkward-but-shows-lots-of-promise first season. Sadly I don't know if it'll matter at this point, because NBC is probably going to cancel all their comedies again this season.

At first watching this ep I thought I would finally take the show off my viewing schedule. There's just too much TV to watch. But then I ended up enjoying it, particularly the stuff with the two cops. That was so OTT that it was hilarious, like Dennah taking advantage of being a cop's girlfriend. 

I'm not a fan of references to Happy Endings within the show. That's a pretty lazy joke imo.

But I guess I'll continue to watch.

I agree. Easily the most enjoyable episode of the season.

We had a mini Burning Love reunion going on, with Ken Marino and Natasha Leggero (Laguna Matata, heh heh).

Also got a chuckle when Kevin 1 was talking about Kevin 2 asking questions while they watch TV.   My SO is exactly the same way, and more than once I've had to re-watch a show by myself to pick up what I missed the first time around.  

• Love 2

Yes, by far the best episode in a while I think. I was worried that the TV thing wasn't going to go anywhere interesting (see that episode of Up All Night and also that Netflix commercial), but they did enough with it, and the cop stuff was gold.

• Love 1

Yeah, probably my least favorite episode. Too bad coming off probably my favorite episode with the last one. But "The Boyz" were the most annoying characters ever and were hard to tolerate a whole episode of.

Always been kinda "eh" on Jerry O'Connell, but I normally love Steve Little - love him as Stevie from Eastbound & Down! And yes, that was "Blax" from Happy Endings, he's another actor I normally like. Can't think of his name, but he was great on Adult Swim's NTSF:SD:SUV.

There was another blink-and-miss-it Happy Endings shout-out this week that I missed until I saw someone bring up, Gil and Dennah were picking up food at a hot dog place called "Dogs in Heat", which you might remember was a hot dog truck that was one of Dave's competitors. Known for their catchy commercial jingle: "Dogs in Heat, It's the treat that's mostly meat! Dogs in Heat, can't be beat!"

Followed by Dave's classic response: "But their meat can be beat! I will beat their meat!

Damnit, now i miss Happy Endings again. :(

Edited by Batt Mastersly
  • Love 3

That wasn't terrible, but not incredibly entertaining either. It was nice to see Ana Ortiz.

Another problem I have: they have kept Happy Endings style backended jokes. Like - Gil: I'm learning how to go to weddings alone. That's the new book I'm reading... etc. They do these sorts of backended jokes multiple times an episode. They worked on Happy Endings where the dialogue was rapid fire and snappy line after snappy line. They land like lead on Marry Me, which seems to want to emulate HE's style of comedy, but at a slower pace. Does not work. 

Seriously, can we just can this already and get Casey and Tymberlee new series? I'm only holding on at this point cause Caspe promised cameos by Eliza and Elisha. That's it. 

I didn't mind this one. I love Jessica St. Clair's bitchy Julie character.

re: the Happy Endings style one-liners not working as well here

I think the problem is other than Casey Wilson and Tymberlee Hill (surprising, since shes the only one in the cast who never appeared on HE) nobody else in the cast really has a good handle on properly delivering Caspe's trademark writing style with the snappy back-and-forths and mile a minute clever one-liners.

Sidenote: Funny you mention you want a series with just Casey and Tymberlee... definitely check out Hotwives of Orlando on Hulu, they both star in it (along with lots of other funny ladies, one of the them is also Danielle Schneider who plays Gil's ex-wife, who I also noticed co-wrote tonights Marry Me) and it's hilarious. Hulu just picked it up a new season taking place in Las Vegas where they're all playing new characters.

Edited by Batt Mastersly
  • Love 1

A lot of the lines from Jessica St. Clair seemed like they could've been improvised. I know they've said Caspe runs a real loose set on both this and Happy Endings and lets them play around with the lines in stuff a lot. Thought it seemed more obvious during Jessica's scenes (Jess is a legendary UCB improviser afterall) it always looked like Casey was trying not to laugh during a lot of the scenes with her, like when she kept touching her face. I found this one pretty enjoyable mostly because of her scenes, too bad she isn't a more frequent guest. I recommend her show Playing House on USA if you haven't seen it. Really funny stuff.

There were two clearly improvised lines at the end of one scene. After Supermom walked away from the bowl of cheetos, Annie says "I want to assault her", and Jake follows with "Is she on something?" Those two lines were supremely unfunny, and that would have never happened on HE. Plus, it cut to a commercial after that, so it just bombed even harder. 

Improvising should be there to improve the written lines, not to cover for writers who can't punch up a joke. 

It's weird how New Girl and Marry Me come on at the same time and both have the lead female hiding her baby bump. Stray observation.

The "boyz" were annoying, but I think this was the funniest episode for the Jake character. Missed opportunity: Jake has a douchey friend, a black friend, and a schlubby friend. Bring in Adam Pally, Damon Wayans Jr and Zach Knighton! The Boyz would have to be written as a little less irritating, but that would only help the episode!

• Love 1
It's weird how New Girl and Marry Me come on at the same time and both have the lead female hiding her baby bump. Stray observation.

I've noticed their strategy seems to be Casey wearing a lot more PJs in the recent episodes.

Also, I'm glad they finally gave Kay a significant development. Often times it seems like the writers forget she exists. Ana Ortiz (Kay's GF) is supposed to be reappearing throught the rest of the season I've heard.

Edited by Batt Mastersly

I thought this episode was pretty funny. In fact, I really feel like the show has found its legs over the last few weeks, starting with "Spoil Me."

I'm just gonna enjoy it while it's still on the air.

Edited by Kip Hackman

Even though I'm mostly enjoying this show, I'm secretly hoping that with Damon Wayans leaving New Girl, Adam Pally leaving The Mindy Project, and Eliza Coupe's show getting cancelled, that this is all an elaborate plan to bring back Happy Endings. In which case I will need Annie to become Penny again and for everything to go back to how it was!!

Yeah, I've seen that pointed out, so it makes me suspicious. Whoever runs that site was known to pull some pranks on April Fools in the past like changing to account to "Friends Writers / Saved By the Bell Writers" every April Fools. But fuck, this guy (not exactly sure who runs that account, is it multiple writers?) wouldn't be that cruel would he??? Dont toy with our emotions like this!

Some suggested it might be something not as exciting like Netflix getting access to stream all the episodes starting April 1 or something. That could make sense, don't they usually get new streaming stuff at the start of every month?

Also people have now pointed out they unfollowed everyone they follow and now only follow 4 twitter pages - Netflix, Amazon, Yahoo Screen and Hulu. Hahaha Whattttt??? Is this person purposely fucking with us and trying to get everyone to freak out?

Also they've been retweeting everyones messages to them like "Please please please be true" and "WHAT DOES THIS MEAN???"

Damnit, this better lead up to something and not just be a cruel prank!

Edited by Batt Mastersly

Completely random but does anyone know what Tymberlee's shirt was about? I thought it was adorable.

Smalltown Poets? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smalltown_Poets. 86/93 Beginning The End, WTF knows?

Burning Love reunion cameo. I think the yoga instructor was The Prince on BL.

I thought Atlas was Steampunk. Yes?

I think Kay-Bay's GF (Hailey) was from Devious Maids.

I love (what I interpret as) the underlying theme of this ep - everyone is too frickin' PC these days and just looking to be offended over one stupid thing or another. Just calm the eff down, people!

Bevers!

Edited by Lone Wolf

Yeah cosign that the Boyzzzzz were annoying as hell.  But, as a gal with WAY too many friends shilling their MLM products nowadays (from Beachbody to Skinny Wraps to Nerium---OY) I found myself chuckling at the shakes subplot. 

• Love 1

Ha, it's true! Back in the olden days you could just avoid the coworkers having Pampered Chef parties and selling Avon but now it feels like everyone is selling something and they aren't afraid to bombard everyone on Facebook about how we need to buy Jamberry nails, DoTerra essential oils, and Younique mascara from them. I can totally buy that both Bevers and Denna had no idea they were getting sucked into a MLM scheme too.

• Love 1

Ha, it's true! Back in the olden days you could just avoid the coworkers having Pampered Chef parties and selling Avon but now it feels like everyone is selling something and they aren't afraid to bombard everyone on Facebook about how we need to buy Jamberry nails, DoTerra essential oils, and Younique mascara from them. I can totally buy that both Bevers and Denna had no idea they were getting sucked into a MLM scheme too.

Ha YES omg how could I forget about the DoTerra and especially the damn YOUNIQUE mascara??!  I haaate how they people automatically "add" you into their Facebook MLM groups and then you feel like an arse if you leave the group. 

Sorry--rant over.  :)

The Kevins bring it for me every week. "bread." "meat." "bread." "I have to go check into a hotel to clip my toenails!" <increasingly shrieky>

I love Denna and Gil on their own. There's no voice of reason and hilarity ensues.

Good to see Bram (TWW) all over my TV this season. Cyrus's gigolo (Scandal), Denna's firefighter, and interim chief next week on Chicago Fire.

I totally busted out laughing at the end tag - I did NOT expect them to eat the glasses. I don't know how they did it without cracking a smile!

• Love 2

B95oysbIcAECspz.jpg

Saw on twitter that Annie's boss in this one is played by Michaela Watkins. Always enjoy her, and nice to see her and Casey reunited after spending a single season together on SNL only to both be fired together at the end of said SNL season. She also played Ken Marino's wife (her and Ken were highlights in that movie) in Wanderlust, so she has some history with this cast.

• Love 1