Type keyword(s) to search

Marry Me - General Discussion

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

I was watching the live-stream of the PaleyFest panel with creator David Caspe, director/producer Seth Gordon, and stars Casey Wilson, Ken Marino and Tim Meadows the other night. Anyway, Caspe revealed some big news that he is indeed working on getting the rest of the Happy Endings cast to guest on the show eventually, saying they already had some ideas for characters Coupe and Cuthbert could possibly recur as. He said Damon was the only one he wasn't sure about being able to get yet, because FOX might not let them do it since New Girl is this shows direct competition.

And here's the biggest Happy Endings connection he revealed....

DERRICK

will be a regular character on this show as well, he makes his first appearance in the Halloween episode! Caspe said it sorta makes sense because his new show is also set in Chicago like Happy Endings was. I thought that was pretty awesome, love that this show is gonna sorta keep that Happy Endings universe alive a little bit.

Edited by Batt Mastersly
  • Love 1

http://www.nbc.com/marry-me/video/sneak-peek-the-first-scene/2815107

NBC posted the first 5 minutes of the pilot. Seems very in the spirit of the Happy Endings style craziness, Casey Wilson's character in this actually seems crazier than Penny, who I didn't think could be topped in crazy. I was pretty surprised to hear an unbleeped "Fuck" in there too. I did hear something about this show having a surprising amount of swearing in it for a network sitcom. Obviously gonna have to be bleeped when they air them, but I wonder if they'll put them unbleeped when they're online or on DVD.

Edited by Batt Mastersly
After returning from a romantic two-week island vacation, Jake is all set to pop the question on bended knee, but before he can ask, Annie lets loose on Jake for his inability to commit. Annie tries to make amends with a proposal of her own but the comedy of errors continues. The only thing we know for sure is that these two are destined to be together — whether they can get it together or not.

Happens more than you think. I know two couples where both spouses have the same name. For one of them, they hyphenated their names when they got married, so they use their middle initials to differentiate themselves. So for me, the Kevin-Kevin thing was pretty charming, since it rang true to me.

I'm not happy that they will be airing this against New Girl every week. Happy Endings fans will have to choose sides! My dvr is all sorts of confused because my 4 most important shows all come on Tuesday at the 9:00 hour. (New Girl, Mindy Project, Marry Me, About A Boy) 

However, I am very excited that it finally starts tonight. Been waiting far too long.

• Love 1

The two dads with the same name seem silly, but then again I seem to know a lot of people who remember/appreciate " Hi, I'm Larry, this is my brother Darryl and this is my other brother Darryl."
Tradition?

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 1

The creator is David Caspe, who was behind Happy Endings, a show I loved.  He is also married to Casey Wilson, who he met while they made Happy Endings.

First impression of this show: another romantic comedy about early 30s neurotics in the big city?  How many do we need?

Like Happy Endings this is set in Chicago.  Ken Marino is 12 years older than Wilson in real life, but I assume he is supposed to be playing early 30s, because the main characters on these shows are always 25-35.

The gay guy on Happy Endings was really funny and refreshingly different from the stock gay character (the fastidious gentleman) we usually see.  The gay guys on this show - they're both named Kevin?  What?

JoBeth Williams - boring so far.

Tymberlee Hill, Sarah Wright Olsen - they might be OK

I'll give this show a shot even if I do have to roll my eyes at yet another entree in this genre.

Casey was talking so fast during her monologue. I will have to re-watch later with captions. Since most of what she said was the basis for the episode, I think I missed about half of the jokes.

Also, NBC was pushing this show so hard that at least 15 minutes worth of clips have spoiled the fun. They were just promo clips, but it was almost the whole episode. Looking forward to next week (and avoiding NBC promos until then) when this show gets to be its self. Lots of potential for laughs. I love Tymberlee Hill so much!

• Love 1

Casey was talking so fast during her monologue. I will have to re-watch later with captions. Since most of what she said was the basis for the episode, I think I missed about half of the jokes.

I had the captions on and I still missed most of it.

Also, NBC was pushing this show so hard that at least 15 minutes worth of clips have spoiled the fun

That was my issue too. Like 90% of the episode was familar to me because between all the commercials and clips posted online all summer. Definitely looking forward more to the regular series because pilots often aren't the best way to measure what the show will feel like completely.

I love Tymberlee Hill so much!

I highly recommend checking out "Hotwives of Orlando", her and Casey's Hulu series that aired this summer. That show made me an instant Tymberlee Hill fan with her "I gots to be Phe Phe!" character.

I have a good feeling about this show though. It reminded me of Happy Endings in a really good way throughout. David Caspe really knows how to write to his wifes strengths, Casey's perfect for his rapid-fire joke style, I hope they continue to keep making projects together. I don't know how she manages to keep that manic-crazy energy up. I think they addressed that they know that could get tiring and Annie does calm down a bit more after the pilot.

Edited by Batt Mastersly

I thought it was majorly disappointing and almost painful to watch. "Happy Endings" it ain't (reinforced by watching "Happy Endings" clips on YouTube). I like Ken Marino, so all I wanted him to do was run far, far away from Casey Wilson (can't bother to learn the characters' names). Yes, Casey Wilson character, the fact that you had a total meltdown because your boyfriend didn't propose to you, you insulted all of his friends and family, and you got him fired with your own proposal does mean you shouldn't be together.

If this is "Marry Me," I predict the spin-off is "Sign the Divorce Papers, You Bitch!"

I did find the two gay dads mildly amusing, but that was it. 

• Love 6

I stopped watching right after the fiance/boyfriend go fired. Caseys character is not cute or quirky or whatever they are trying to make her she is just obnoxious. The boyfriend is an idiot for not telling her that he lied to his boss about going to Mexico so it's his own fault that he got fired. Nobody on the show was likeable or interesting enough for me to stick around. It's too bad too because I loved Casey on Happy Endings and I love Tim Meadows.

• Love 2

I am not normally a sitcom watcher, but I did see this and found the female lead character so overwhelmingly manic that it was hard to take.    

I know they have a lot to bring out in a pilot, and I'm not sure if she'll calm down in future episodes but I did not really like it.
Not sure if it was the actress or the character but it was not enjoyable to me.

• Love 2

I stopped watching right after the fiance/boyfriend go fired. Caseys character is not cute or quirky or whatever they are trying to make her she is just obnoxious. The boyfriend is an idiot for not telling her that he lied to his boss about going to Mexico so it's his own fault that he got fired. Nobody on the show was likeable or interesting enough for me to stick around. It's too bad too because I loved Casey on Happy Endings and I love Tim Meadows.

He had told her he lied to his boss. She was caught up in the moment and forgot.

I liked the pilot, so I'm looking forward to more. I love Casey, and even though I miss Happy Endings, I'm happy to see her and David Caspe working together again.

I'm not happy that they will be airing this against New Girl every week. Happy Endings fans will have to choose sides! My dvr is all sorts of confused because my 4 most important shows all come on Tuesday at the 9:00 hour. (New Girl, Mindy Project, Marry Me, About A Boy.

Get thee a Dish Network Hopper. It tapes every network show in Prime Time every day. I am enjoying pilot season because I've gotten to check out all of the new shows. Seriously, I can't tout that DVR enough.

Edited by teebax
  • Love 1

I thought it did seem a bit bold to introduce Casey's character in such an unflattering fashion, but it kinda seems like they're setting her up as the kind of character you're supposed to constantly cringe at because she's always putting her foot in her mouth.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2014/10/14/354102393/marry-me-throws-plenty-of-jokes-and-its-lead-actress-at-the-wall

I thought NPR (link above) had an interesting take on her character and why they thought it was refreshing to see a more flawed female lead character who isn't supposed to be seen as all that likable. Looking back at the pilot again, I actually thought this show was a bit darker than Happy Endings which always seemed to be more of a feelgood show, I'm interested to see where this goes because if you remember Happy Endings original pilot ended up being nothing like what the show turned out to be.

Edited by Batt Mastersly
  • Love 1

This was actually OK, but Casey will have to take it down several notches if I'm to endure her for 22+ minutes each week.  She's one of the reasons I quit on Happy Endings before the network did.  Oh, and the guy from Scandal is not old enough to be her dad.  Come on now.

Edited by Jillybean

Oh, and the guy from Scandal is not old enough to be her dad.  Come on now.

I was thinking the same thing, until I found out he was born in 1965, which makes him 15 years older than Casey. In real life he would have been capable of fathering her, if not old enough in the traditional sense to be her father. But here he is a TV dad and a 15 year age difference is plenty.

Happy Endings was always hit or miss with me, and the misses were almost always due to Casey Wilson. I don't think she is incapable of being funny, but she simply cannot resist the urge to always be on. And with her that always translates into annoying, obnoxious characters. The best I can hope for here is that they wanted to get all that out of the way in the pilot and for the remainder of the series she will be toned down. But I don't really believe that for one second.

Still the rest of the cast features people I will watch in pretty much anything. I like Ken Marino, and even if I didn't, he would have my loyalty anyway simply for The State. Tim Meadows and JoBeth Williams never disappoint. And best of all, for me anyway, is Sarah Wright Olson. I admit that is mainly for eye candy reasons, but I have always found her to be very capable in her comedic roles. Not someone who will make you bust a gut laughing but always kind of a pleasant surprise.

But Casey Wilson tasks me.

I highly recommend checking out "Hotwives of Orlando", her and Casey's Hulu series that aired this summer. That show made me an instant Tymberlee Hill fan with her "I gots to be Phe Phe!" character.

That's where I was first introduced to her. She's the best. She just gotta be Phe Phe!

• Love 1

First impression of this show: another romantic comedy about early 30s neurotics in the big city?  How many do we need?

That's probably my main beef with it too. It seems like every single new sitcom this season is about the blossoming relationship between some young, urban couple. Hollywood is a wasteland for imagination. But so far, out of the ones I've seen, this one appears to be the strongest.

The boyfriend is an idiot for not telling her that he lied to his boss about going to Mexico so it's his own fault that he got fired.

Somebody above pointed this out, but he did tell her - that was part of the joke. And in that respect, the show does in fact feel very much like Happy Endings - the lines come at you rapid fire, so you almost have to watch every episode twice in order to catch everything. And I liked that about Happy Endings, they didn't dumb it down. I could grow to like this show just as much. I just hope it doesn't suffer the same fate as Happy Endings.

Edited by iMonrey

I said upthread that I liked the gay dads, and I did, but what would have been nicer? If the two dads were not stereotypical gays. Why couldn't they be construction-working bears in denim and flannel? No, they have to reflect what Hollywood believes all gay men are -- prissy, fastidious, and fashionable.

And the interracial thing, with "we don't know whose sperm made our daughter"? "Glee" did that several years ago.

it kinda seems like they're setting [Annie] up as the kind of character you're supposed to constantly cringe at because she's always putting her foot in her mouth.

See, and I don't find that type of embarrassment humor at all funny. It makes me embarrassed to watch the character.

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 1

I enjoyed it. It's kind of fun to read the different feelings about the show/Casey Wilson. I can totally understand why some viewers would find this character impossible to watch, and it's possible I would have stopped watching after Ken Marino's character was fired if a different actress had been playing Annie. But I really like Casey Wilson and I enjoyed her.

I knew an interracial gay couple with the same name. We all called them Black "Kevin" and  White "Kevin". Oddly enough, there was another friend in our crew with the same name, so he was just "Kevin". Anyway, I love that Annie has two gay dads, that they are an interracial couple and they are played by Tim Meadows and Dan Bucatinsky. I hope the show lasts just for this. What was funny to me was Black Kevin insisting they still don't know whose sperm Annie comes from. And toward the end, when he nodded and White Kevin and Dennah rolled their eyes? Gold.

I'm a JoBeth Williams fan from long ago (I still re-watch American Dreamer and The Big Chill), so I'm looking forward to seeing her on my small screen every week.

I think the show was very similar to Happy Endings, but I'm not complaining because I loved Happy Endings. Gil could turn out to be problematic because his character seemed unoriginal to me.

He had told her he lied to his boss. She was caught up in the moment and forgot.

"I forgot because I was so in the moment!"  

"That's the problem--you're always in the moment."

Pleading "in the moment" equals "I was so swept away by what was happening that everything else became unimportant and slipped my mind."  And that crappy excuse is her standard M.O, according to him.

Forget marrying her--why would anyone even want to be friends with a person who can't be trusted to be discreet or keep your confidences private because she might have a "moment"? 

ETA:  I'd enjoy a show about the dads, if their loud self-involved daughter didn't come around too much.

Edited by candall

I'm interested to see where this goes because if you remember Happy Endings original pilot ended up being nothing like what the show turned out to be.

I do remember the Happy Endings pilot -- I rewatched it not long ago -- and I wouldn't say "nothing like." It had a lot of the loose group-interaction vibe that came to characterize the series, and is nowhere near as bad or offputting as it is sometimes said to be. The cancelled-marriage premise cast a pall over the first few episodes, it's true, and the real goofiness didn't kick in for 4 or 5 episodes, but a lot of what made the series likable (for me) was there from the start.

I said upthread that I liked the gay dads, and I did, but what would have been nicer? If the two dads were not stereotypical gays. Why couldn't they be construction-working bears in denim and flannel? No, they have to reflect what Hollywood believes all gay men are -- prissy, fastidious, and fashionable.

I didn't really get "prissy" or "fastidious" from them, and all the characters are more or less fashionable. But I understand that reactions can differ on that point. More generally, it seems to me that there are so many different gay stereotypes around ("construction-working bears" would be one of them) that there's no point avoiding them, as they cover the gamut of humanity -- whatever you write, it could conceivably be called a stereotype. I'll be happy if they're just people integral to the story who contribute to the comedy, as these two seemed to.

Edited by Rinaldo

I like both Casey Wilson and Ken Marino, and I liked the show quite a bit.  I'll be tuning in.  As it was pointed out, she's essentially playing Penny from Happy Endings once again.  And being that I loved Penny from HE (her Whore's Bath rant and "how to be a hipster" segments STILL make me howl) I'm totally cool with that.  I'm glad I'm not the only one who had a hard time following her pre-engagement rant/monologue, though.  I caught something about rompers, a friend who was garbage and hating his mom and that's about it. 

I knew Ken was older than her in real life, but they don't look mismatched age-wise at all, in my opinion. 

Edited by Duke2801

And the interracial thing, with "we don't know whose sperm made our daughter"? "Glee" did that several years ago.

Arrested Development had that joke before Glee then.

• Love 2

That was pretty hard to watch. All I know Ken Marino from is Burning Love, so that's pretty skewed right there. Was Casey Wilson on SNL some years back, but didn't last long? If that was her, I wasn't watching (SNL) during her stint and I didn't watch Happy Endings so she's new to me, but I was worn out from her frantic character.

I'm afraid Tim Meadows will be wasted here. And I didn't recognize JoBeth Williams.

• Love 3
Was Casey Wilson on SNL some years back, but didn't last long?

She was there during the 08 elections, but she just wasn't in any sketches that stuck. There are rumors that she would have played Sarah Palin if Tina Fey didn't guest star. But I did not find her funny there at all.

She was very funny on Happy Endings though, so I think people will warm up to her character soon.

• Love 1