Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E01: See No Evil

Whimsy

I wondered if Emily was maybe deliberately or subconsciously channelling Agnes Morehead's Endora of Bewitched for Mara's personna.

When she's being particularly sarcastic, I'm seeing echoes of Colin Ferguson's performance in her.

I also wonder if Mara's refusal to pull the trigger on Nathan was Audrey staying her hand, or Mara being unsure if killing the person she loved (as Audrey) would be enough to trigger the "cure the Troubles" part of the curse.

I considered that, too.

If they do successfully bring Audrey back to the surface, how would they know for sure that it really is Audrey and not Mara playing them? Mara was able to imitate Audrey pretty well (though she seems to have trouble maintaining the act with a straight face for long) and she knows everything Audrey knows, so there's no test I can think of to prove she's really being Audrey. This could be a problem, especially since Nathan wants so desperately to believe she can be Audrey and is probably going to be really gullible, unless he finally reaches a breaking point and decides to just give up.

Excellent theory!

And thanks for clarifying the use of the archaic pronunciation of ether/aether, and also the Maine pot laws--which had me going: Huh. I thought only Colorado and Washington were state-wide. Maybe wishful thinking on the part of the writers--how long ago was the script written and the filming done?

Thanks, and you're welcome!  I have no idea when the script was written, but I did notice that Nathan's truck still has a 2010 state inspection sticker on it!  (I hope they're keeping it off the road when they aren't filming... that could net a decent fine.)

Eye trauma. Why'd it have to be eye trauma? I cannot deal.

Heh, that didn't both me too much, but I can totally relate to having certain types of body trauma give me psycho trauma. I had to stop watching Longmire because of what happened in episode Population 25.

I just remembered one more thing I wanted to mention: the thinny.  As was said earlier in the thread, the concept and name were introduced by Stephen King in The Dark Tower, specifically in Book 4: Wizard and Glass.  At the time, the characters were in a far-flung portion of the kingdom (hiding in the boonies for their own safety), and the name "thinny" was essentially a rural colloquialism for this "thin spot" where the worlds (or levels of the Tower) rubbed together.  The name then stuck through the books because it was good enough, and I personally found it immensely gratifying to hear it used here.

Also, although he has never (to my knowledge) come out and said it in so many words, King has hinted that a thinny may have been behind the mystery presented in the original "The Colorado Kid" story.

• Love 5

Poor dumb Dwight. Troubles are all around ad those which had them still has got them, but the "bullet magnet" still takes a gun to a knife fight! The FX of all three bullets turning was pretty cool though!

Actually, Dwight did not take a gun to a "knife fight."  He took a taser with him.  Mara already had the gun with her because she took it from poor, dumb Nathan.  Dwight isn't stupid, just unlucky.

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 4

I wonder how big the Haven PD arsenal is because they're going to run out of guns soon at the rate Nathan is losing them to Mara. She got two in just this episode.

"Duke? I need to borrow a gun. Or three."

"Oh, for-- Fine. But this is the last time."

Hi guys! Our show is back!

I can't chat for very long because my internet is still down. Sigh. Maybe I'm the only one but I kept hearing Mara say it as "Thinning". Poor Nathan is delusional... wake up and smell the gunpowder honey: I mean he just sat there in his car waiting for her, no attempts to hide and no real plan. What did he think would happen? 

Actually, Dwight did not take a gun to a "knife fight."  He took a taser with him.  Mara already had the gun with her because she took it from poor, dumb Nathan.  Dwight isn't stupid, just unlucky.

I could have sworn I saw three bullets hit him.  I've erased it and Haven isn't on Hulu.so I can't check... You could easily be right.

I can't chat for very long because my internet is still down. Sigh. Maybe I'm the only one but I kept hearing Mara say it as "Thinning". Poor Nathan is delusional... wake up and smell the gunpowder honey: I mean he just sat there in his car waiting for her, no attempts to hide and no real plan. What did he think would happen?

They had no strategy to capture Mara at all. She is outwitting them now without the black goo and with apparently no supernatural powers. Once she gets the thin spot open it's going to be much much worse.

No strategy, true, but I think that's because there was a certain amount of denial on everyone's part about Mara having fully taken over.  It was more like, "we'll capture Mara, she'll go back to being Audrey just like she did when she was Lexie, and it'll all be good."

• Love 1
I could have sworn I saw three bullets hit him.

Three bullets did hit him in his vest. They were fired from the (first) gun she took from Nathan. Dwight was sneaking up on Mara and she just fired the gun randomly because you don't have to aim at Dwight or even face him to shoot him. The bullets curved back around to hit him. Then while he was down, she took his taser and zapped him a few times. I had to cringe at the implication that he's a magnet for all projectile weapons, with the mention of getting hit by cannonballs. I hope he didn't have an ancestor fighting in one of the twentieth century world wars. Would he have attracted artillery shells? Just imagine him in the trenches!

Upon rewatch, I have to say that Duke's constant "but where's Jennifer" is almost as annoying as Nathan's "our love is so true" refrain. It's just that Duke was spread over the whole episode and Nathan got it really concentrated in just the one scene where he thinks he can reason with the crazy lady who's trying to kill him because he's convinced some part of her still loves him.

The scene with Vickie and Gloria at the gazebo was really rather lovely, though I'm not sure that floating flower petals would actually make a baby stop crying. I guess it works as a distraction, if the baby even notices it.

• Love 1