Type keyword(s) to search

Kate: She'll Fold You A "Rocket Ship" Towel

methodwriter85
  • Start Topic

Wow this thread has gotten very interesting indeed! I like it. Here is my $.02 on the subject. In my opinion, none of those arrests I see under Kate's name would be enough on its own for me to condemn her as a bad person. I made colossal mistakes in my 20's and drove while impaired/intoxicated. I'm sure most people have driven at some point over the legal limit. I would never do it now because I am not so immature/arrogant as I was in my 20's. I never considered drugs to be a big deal as far as guaging if a person is a good person or not. Mostly because being arrested for possession of drugs is a crime that doesn't have a direct "victim". I hesitated to post this because this is getting off topic...but just wanted to add my opinion to the mix. I have no problem at all with Kate due to those arrests. Could happen to almost anybody. My only problem is that I don't think she is a nice person (admittedly based only on her heavily edited persona I have seen on the show). Now while that works perfectly for her character on Below Deck, it is probably not someone I would surround myself with

• Love 4

Well, just to clarify the multiple arrests.  The first mug shot was from the Palm County arrest for possession of three xanax without a prescription and DUI Alcohol or Drugs - 1st offense.  The second is for an out of county warrant booking and the third is for when she was brought to the county where the warrant was executed.  The second and third are really one because of the transfer.  This hardly makes her a career criminal that deserves condemnation for life.  

Was she found guilty of a crime?  We don't know.  And an arrest is very different from actually being charged and then found guilty of a crime.  And there's a difference between being found guilty of a misdemeanor and a felony.   Bottom line for me is that good people screw up (I don't know if Kate is a good person but I have no evidence to suggest that she's a bad person or a reckless person) and sometimes do stupid things.  A person speeding can just as easily cause an accident as someone who is legally under the influence.   Or a person texting.  Or a person talking on the phone.  Or a person who cuts another person off.  Or the person who goes through the red light.  It's all bad and it's all decisions purposely made by that driver.   Millions of people do all of the above every day.  And for some reason the 'DUI' is so much more condemnable  (I made that word up) than all the other things.  None of it is 'ok'.  And just to add, I'm the driver who doesn't drink or drive, excessively speed, text or talk on the phone and would rather get there a few minutes later rather than be the person who cuts or rides on someone's tail.

As for Kate's story, she did graduate from college.  Did she become a stew because of a lack of job opportunity?  Maybe.  Or she could have become a stew because she likes the money and being able to be on the water and go to different places.  Maybe it was to meet a rich guy.  Who knows.  I do know a number of young people who 'love' the water and being out there.  And they've chosen the lifestyle while they can.  Oh, and if you're out on the water for a significant amount of time, it fries your hair and skin if you're fair.  

I completely agree. SPOT ON! I can't think of any kind life experiences that would give any credulence to any judgements based on this particular set of information available to us. I don't think the issue is whether a person with 3 arrests for DUI or 3 mugshots for completely unacceptable offenses warrants condemnation. I think the real debate is whether the information we DO have available to us is even reliable and if it is accurate that the offenses listed aren't even clear enough to make any determination about. I think the debate is about not having enough information to even be justified in such harsh accusations. I have to say that it's a bit disheartening to think that a jury of my peers wouldn't be as capable as I would hope them to be, to perform their duties appropriately and honorably.

Edited by Yours Truly
  • Love 2
(edited)

Ryan Gosling on SNL made me think about Kate's little crush on the Guest Who Kinda Resembled Him. The Ryan Gosling thing DID give a pretty good indication of her age...I don't think he's really a thing with people older than her purported age group. (It's like Meredith Vieira going on about Richard Gere- pretty dated crush there.) It's mainly women who were young college/early 20-something girls when the Notebook dropped in the mid-2000's such as Kate and Amy.

I'm still disappointed that she wasn't born in 1975 like I thought she was. Oh, well. I wanted her to talk about her crush on Christian Slater as a teenage girl or something LOL.

It's still weird as hell to me that she's just a little under 3 years older than me.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1

Ryan Gosling is hot (I'm 33, for the record). Never saw that Notebook movie either cos I don't do those typical romance movies. I liked him especially in Crazy Stupid Love...I'm a huge Steve Carell fan too (and Paul Rudd!). Even though I hate guys in real life who are mostly assholes, in movies it's kind of attractive. Also he was on SNL not too long ago and I watched a clip of him about losing it laughing during a sketch. Pretty awesome.

My first movie crush as a teen though was Ethan Embry from his role in Empire Records.

I also am not judging Kate for her mugshots, cos like others have said....being arrested and being convicted of something are two separate things. I was pretty wild in my 20's and did end up getting a DUI...but I learned from it and no longer believe myself to be invincible like I did when I was 24. People grow up, and change.

• Love 3

Andy should introduce Kate to Lisa Vanderpump. Start a boutique hotel w/ restaurant. I think Kate was probably similar in temperament to some of the VP Rules 'kids' when she was their age. She could whip them into shape because she knows all their tricks.

Ha, the funny thing is Kate is their age NOW, hell, she's younger than Jax (he's 36). She's just 500% more matronly than these other women/people in their early 30s.

Edited by Rebecca
  • Love 2

The truth...Kat is a bitch, with straw hair she has bleached to within an inch of its life.  She appears anorexic and unlike what she most likely believes, it isn't attractive.  If she's 31 she is aging horribly, but I don't believe she is actually 31... more like 39 or 40. 

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, Zena said:

The truth...Kat is a bitch, with straw hair she has bleached to within an inch of its life.  She appears anorexic and unlike what she most likely believes, it isn't attractive.  If she's 31 she is aging horribly, but I don't believe she is actually 31... more like 39 or 40. 

Her age was on her police report from an earlier arrest.

On 6/29/2016 at 0:31 AM, methodwriter85 said:

Which, shockingly the decade for her birth year didn't start with a 7 like I previously thought.

Kate blogged about her arrest, although it's really more about the miracle of finding her puppy.

I'm pretty conflicted. I really like her and think she's witty as hell, but there's no excuse for trying to strangle your girlfriend.

Okay, well that was a weird blog.  Is Kate coming back next season?  I hope so.

(edited)

People get arrested that doesn't mean that once the police investigate that the case will proceed or that the actual charge won't be reduced significantly. I have no idea about the facts in the case but $5,000 bail is very low and it's entirely possible that the court would allow her to leave to do the show even if the case was proceeding.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

It also depends on the judge and her conditions of being out on bail. Because her job requires travel, she might have terms allowing her to travel for work provided she complies with whatever terms the judge has set. Like, she might have to check in (every day, or every other day, or every week, whatever) and obviously be available for any set court dates.

My biggest question would be, if they let her be part of the next season of Below Deck (... has that filmed/have a filming date?) would her legal drama be part of it?

Below Deck has probably filmed already.  IIRC, it's usually filmed either Jan, Feb or March.

The whole domestic incident sounds a little fishy.  The ex girlfriend came to Kate's place drunk and Kate wanted her to leave.  She's a pro soccer player.  I don't care how drunk the girlfriend was but I don't think it would be hard to knock tiny little Kate over with a feather.  Just doesn't sound right and I think there's more to the story than what the ex girlfriend is claiming.

• Love 6

I like Kate.  She's just a girl tryin to get by.  Making some bad choices along the way, but that's not abnormal. I suspect she has a loaded back story to end up with her most recent mindset.

Seems to me she's at an impasse and needs to make some life choices.  She's on the fence and could go one of two ways.  I hope she finds peace and opts for the healthier side.

We'll hear more/learn more about her brushes with the law this season without a doubt. 

• Love 3

I like Kate.  She's just a girl tryin to get by.  Making some bad choices along the way, but that's not abnormal. I suspect she has a loaded back story to end up with her most recent mindset.

Seems to me she's at an impasse and needs to make some life choices.  She's on the fence and could go one of two ways.  I hope she finds peace and opts for the healthier side.

I think a lot of us feel that way in our early/mid-30's if we haven't quite figured out where we want to go in life. (I still cannot get over the idea that I'm actually a contemporary with Kate as I'm 30.)

Whatever happened, I do feel like Kate really was pushing how much she was in love with new girlfriend on her Twitter. It's a shame it ended so badly, no matter who the cause is.

• Love 3
On 8/4/2016 at 11:58 PM, methodwriter85 said:

I think a lot of us feel that way in our early/mid-30's if we haven't quite figured out where we want to go in life. (I still cannot get over the idea that I'm actually a contemporary with Kate as I'm 30.)

Whatever happened, I do feel like Kate really was pushing how much she was in love with new girlfriend on her Twitter. It's a shame it ended so badly, no matter who the cause is.

I have a few theories (some are less popular than others!)...one is that under average circumstances people don't cross over into what we think of as adulthood until their late 20's...some do so a bit earlier and some a bit later.  Completely normal to be sorting things in early 30's, I think.

• Love 1

Kate keeps harping on the fact that her ex gf is a pro athlete and 6 ft tall so she couldn't have assaulted her. I'm not sure I concur.

One of my close friends was also in an abusive relationship that ended when he was beat by his much shorter and skinny gf. 

• Love 1
On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 1:31 AM, methodwriter85 said:

I'm pretty conflicted. I really like her and think she's witty as hell, but there's no excuse for trying to strangle your girlfriend.

Well, of course there's an excuse for why she's now got a collection of 4 mugshots. /sarcasm. 

She's starting to remind me of Lindsay Lohan, in that she only needs 2 more mugshots to have caught up to Lindsay, and that it's only really bad luck that she ends up in the pokey.  It's always someone else's fault. 

Maybe she is the 4 time (that we know of) victim of circumstance.  I don't really believe that, though, because I see something else behind those cold eyes and bitchy demeanor.  I usually give these D list celebrities the benefit of a doubt but they're given a lot of opportunities that many would give their right arm for and they just piss them away.  How many times do these things happen when ya say, oh, that's too bad, she/he really is the victim before ya go, hmmm, maybe not so much. 

Unless the producers of Bravo really like her, they're going to have a field day editing this season.  They tend to do that when their employees are down on their luck/divorcing/sick in the head or body.  Even if the event falls after the show is in the can, they have a way.  See Jules of RHONY.

I don't like Kate at all but my MO somehow always becomes about rooting for the one Bravo is dogging the hardest. LOL

• Love 5
On 8/7/2016 at 11:40 AM, Petunia13 said:

Kate keeps harping on the fact that her ex gf is a pro athlete and 6 ft tall so she couldn't have assaulted her. I'm not sure I concur.

One of my close friends was also in an abusive relationship that ended when he was beat by his much shorter and skinny gf. 

Exactly. Just like sex, one can be 6'4" the other 5"0 but when the two of you are lying down your both pretty close to being the same height. It's the same way in a knock down drag out fight when it goes to ground.

• Love 1
On 8/1/2016 at 10:32 PM, Jextella said:

We'll hear more/learn more about her brushes with the law this season without a doubt. 

I agree.  I like Kate as well,- her dry wit, her work ethic and professionalism on the boat-all good.  That said, girl's got issues.  Like substance abuse issues that have been going on for a while now if her rap sheet is any indication.  According to what I read on the interwebs, she bit her girl friend three times.  Who does that?  A person who's enraged and not thinking clearly because they've ingested too much of some intoxicant imo.  Sometimes she comes off as depressed to me.  Maybe the court will order some sort of therapy for her.

• Love 2

Hoo boy. I just caught Kate on WWHL with the Countess. She is looking fried. Deep fried with the crazy eyes. And sooo sadly low rent beside LuAnn. I was flashing back to the first time she sashayed down the dock towards Cpt Lee and then introd herself as being the 'Paris Hilton of my hometown' along with the whole getting into yachting to find a rich husband manifesto. Right now she needs to pitch a business plan to her charter guest soulmate Dean of the rocket shaped towel and hope he considers taking her on for old time's sake. Stat. I also remember Kate saying that there is a use by date for stewing and she may not have too many stew years left. 

Kate doesn't have 'too many' stew years left. Her yacht has definitely sailed. Maybe Sonja Morgan would take her as an intern. She looked really haggard. She was not put together well, lacking a bra, for example, her boobs seemed to be lopsided and in a strange position under her baggy raspberry dress. She talked a little limited smack on the Ro situation, but the whole court thing was pending then (a couple weeks ago). 

Much as I love me some chief stew Kate, and she really has been reality tv gold, she is in desperate need of some zen. She looks like one of those people with all consuming inner turmoil that occasionally erupts and which burns them out from the inside. Her face was haggard, her eyes were dull and sunken, her hair was a frizzy non do and she's now way too thin in a no muscle flabby unhealthy way. This is not a well woman. I actually feel concern for Kate. Maybe we could gofund some rehab. 

• Love 3
On 7/12/2016 at 11:42 PM, breezy424 said:

Below Deck has probably filmed already.  IIRC, it's usually filmed either Jan, Feb or March.

The whole domestic incident sounds a little fishy.  The ex girlfriend came to Kate's place drunk and Kate wanted her to leave.  She's a pro soccer player.  I don't care how drunk the girlfriend was but I don't think it would be hard to knock tiny little Kate over with a feather.  Just doesn't sound right and I think there's more to the story than what the ex girlfriend is claiming.

This! Now that we have seen Ro and Kate together, I do not believe that 110 lb Kate would have a chance against Ro. Hell, I'm way bigger than Kate and trained and I'd avoid a fight with Ro. A 6 foot-tall person has considerable reach and soccer/football players are no joke. In addition to the extreme size disparity, Ro came off as deranged and needy during the visit with Kate after the charter. I've gone from hating Kate in the season she tortured Amy to being mildly amused by her (especially her hair!) so am no Kate cheerleader. 

• Love 3

Haven't yet watched the footage of Ro aboard ship with Kate, but after her court case I think she should go somewhere for a real vacation away from everyone and treat herself to massage, facial, deep conditioning, some healthy meals, and plenty of rest. She seems to be running on empty and in serious need of rejuvenation, and maybe some sobriety.

• Love 1
On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 11:42 PM, breezy424 said:

The police report said it was KATE that came home drunk and attacked the girlfriend.  They've got pictures with bite marks and other wounds on Ro.  And Kate was the one that got arrested. Not Ro.  I'm not saying there's not more to the story but the police obviously had a reason to arrest her. 

Again.

6 hours ago, Kickboxer said:

This! Now that we have seen Ro and Kate together, I do not believe that 110 lb Kate would have a chance against Ro.

Kate's rap sheet says she's 123 pounds and 5'7".

I don't know if Ro is really 6'.  They look within 3 inches or so of each other.  And Ro has boots on with a heel.  I expected Ro to be much bigger.  More muscular.  She doesn't look much more big around than Kate is - shoulders, hips, arms.  Kate's head is definitely bigger.  Or fatter.  Either works. 

The next hearing is tomorrow.  I predict she plea bargains.

kate-chastain-ro-hernandez-7.jpg

PDA from her Twitter account.  Her head looks GIANT next to Ro's in this one.  Maybe one of the injuries was a head butt?

kate-chastain-ro-hernandez-4.jpg

• Love 1

It's hard to tell when it comes to attacks or people fighting. My friend Daniel had his ass beat multiple x by his petite ex gf.

If someone's in a drunken or bipolar rage they might have an adrenaline advantage plus if the person attacked is caught by surprise and not fighting back out of love or fear they may get injured bad. 

• Love 6
17 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

If someone's in a drunken or bipolar rage they might have an adrenaline advantage plus if the person attacked is caught by surprise and not fighting back out of love or fear they may get injured bad. 

I agree.  One story from our town, the 5' cheerleader who kicked her 6'5", 230lb boyfriend in the nuts.  He went down, she jumped on top to further pummel him, he grabbed her wrists to make her stop and left marks.  Meanwhile she kept spitting in his face and trying to kick him while he held her like that.  He could've taken her down with one smack upside her head but he didn't because he had some self control.

Guess who got arrested? 

• Love 3

Ruh roh.

Since I've never been arrested and am not up to speed on how our legal system works when it comes to felonious assaults, what was the hearing last Wednesday for?  Just to determine if there was cause enough for the case to go to trial?

Also, Kate said on WWHL the she has horrible taste in romantic partners, but she has great taste in lawyers.  According to this article, she has a new lawyer.  I wonder what happened to the first one.

• Love 1

Well, it sounds like Kate might not have the best taste in lawyers either, considering she's already switched lawyers once.

In my layperson understanding of the court system, it appears the court date last week was a meeting for something (maybe only FL does?) called the early resolution program. It seems like lawyers take a look at the case and the evidence and try to resolve it without a trial, usually by hoping the defendant pleads out or accepts a plea deal and they can hand out a sentence of probation or jail time there, kind of like an arraignment but with more evidence. In this case, there was no resolution and Kate didn't plead out, so the next step is to go to trial. 

I'm not sure what kind of plea deal they would  have offered her given the charges and her history, but IMO either Kate believes she did nothing wrong and the evidence can show at least enough reasonable doubt to not convict her or the deal they wanted her to take involved some pretty serious jail time/probation and she thought she'd take her chances with a judge and jury. 

18 hours ago, McManda said:

Well, it sounds like Kate might not have the best taste in lawyers either, considering she's already switched lawyers once.

In my layperson understanding of the court system, it appears the court date last week was a meeting for something (maybe only FL does?) called the early resolution program. It seems like lawyers take a look at the case and the evidence and try to resolve it without a trial, usually by hoping the defendant pleads out or accepts a plea deal and they can hand out a sentence of probation or jail time there, kind of like an arraignment but with more evidence. In this case, there was no resolution and Kate didn't plead out, so the next step is to go to trial. 

I'm not sure what kind of plea deal they would  have offered her given the charges and her history, but IMO either Kate believes she did nothing wrong and the evidence can show at least enough reasonable doubt to not convict her or the deal they wanted her to take involved some pretty serious jail time/probation and she thought she'd take her chances with a judge and jury. 

Thank you, McManda.  That sounds about right.  Trial date is November 7. 

If Kate was a non-televised yachtie, I wonder if the judge would have set a high bond.  This is a felony and she's got a rap sheet (although I don't know how many convictions or if all her other arrests are taken into consideration).

With the job she has she might be considered a flight risk.

florida is supposed to have the most lenient criminal justice system and relaxed attitude to crime in us. She should have taken the plea w probation. They probably would have given her 300 hrs of community service. 

I'm fairly certain the "early resolution program" is what is generally known as a pretrial intervention. Florida does this a lot. It's for first time offenders. Basically. Everyone gathers in the hallway and when your number is called, a small group enters a room just outside the courtroom. Each defendant is handed a stack a papers with a brief explanation. You are pleading guilty and accept the punishment. In return, your record is sealed. This is a one time offer and if you complete sentence and don't get into any more trouble, no one will ever know about it unless you tell them. Basically. Then you sign the paperwork and head into the courtroom. You get called, the judge asks if you understand and agree, you "yes sir/yes ma'am" your way right on out the door and it's done. Lol

If she's showing up for the docket sounding though, it seems she feels certain that either she did nothing wrong or that the other party does not have "clean hands" either. The prosecution can drop the charges, accept a plea, or go to trial. The calendar gets set if needed, and the judge signs off on it. The defendant usually doesn't go to this but they can. Kate is either sure she can prove Ro is the aggressor, or that they are both equally wrong, or she has the blazin' balls to think that she's untouchable and the judge and jury will understand(?) she's a blameless victim in this situation. 

I'd almost say this a two-way street in her mind. But the switching attorneys makes me think she believes her own hype and thinks her lil ol' self can't possibly be convicted against the big, bad bully Ro. Maybe she didn't pay her attorney, maybe the attorney fell ill or some other emergency situation, or maybe the attorney told her to fend for herself or find someone else to represent her because they'll be damned if they are walking into a losing battle with a delusional client that won't listen to reason. (I haven't searched for the case so I'm just guessing here.) 

Also, as far as community service goes, you can buy out of that at the rate of $10 per hour. 

• Love 3
47 minutes ago, MissMel said:

I'd almost say this a two-way street in her mind. But the switching attorneys makes me think she believes her own hype and thinks her lil ol' self can't possibly be convicted against the big, bad bully Ro. Maybe she didn't pay her attorney, maybe the attorney fell ill or some other emergency situation, or maybe the attorney told her to fend for herself or find someone else to represent her because they'll be damned if they are walking into a losing battle with a delusional client that won't listen to reason. (I haven't searched for the case so I'm just guessing here.) 

The first attorney she hired, the one she said she had such excellent taste for hiring is Gary Frese.  His areas of expertise are listed as COMPLETELY business related.  Real estate, finance, tax law.  He was an accountant before getting his law degree.  Scratching my head why she picked him.

The current one is Kepler Funk who is all criminal law, all the time.  He's frequently on TruTV and CourtTV.  The last line in his bio is interesting:

His defense in the Pennsylvania lesbian murder trial he conducted is highlighted in an episode of Forensic Files- "Cries Unheard" and is the subject of the novel Lipstick and Blood by John Kearney.

She probably switched because she realized that she wasn't going to get off so easy and needed to bring in someone who handles felonious criminal cases.  This one, just so happens, to also have experience in domestic lesbian violence.  Off to see if he won that case.  It is not mentioned if he did.  You'd think it would.

• Love 2
Just now, ryebread said:

Off to see if he won that case.  It is not mentioned if he did.  You'd think it would.

Yikes.  He lost.  And he was defending the murderer. 

Interesting.  Not quite a domestic violence case.  Wife was having an affair with another woman.  Causes problems in the marriage.  Husband and wife kill the woman.  Both in jail for life. 

• Love 2

Thanks @ryebread. I don't usually click on any outside links. Based on your description of the first attorney, I wonder if he's a friend or an acquaintance of Kate's. Seems like the second attorney enjoys the camera time. Sounds like the courtroom will be "all famewhores, all the time" between these 3. It'll be interesting to see how the judge and prosecutor react to that scenario. 

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, MissMel said:

I don't usually click on any outside links.

You are smart.  I run a virus scan every day, sometimes twice because I'm too clicky.

I'd like to know if Kate has any convictions from any of her other previous arrests.  I don't know much about the law so I don't know that even if she had convictions how they would weigh in this case.   All my clicking can't find an answer to whether she's been convicted before or not.

• Love 1
On October 16, 2016 at 6:18 PM, ryebread said:

Ruh roh.

Since I've never been arrested and am not up to speed on how our legal system works when it comes to felonious assaults, what was the hearing last Wednesday for?  Just to determine if there was cause enough for the case to go to trial?

Also, Kate said on WWHL the she has horrible taste in romantic partners, but she has great taste in lawyers.  According to this article, she has a new lawyer.  I wonder what happened to the first one.

I just noticed this linked article is from Florida Today and this quote is from Funk's bio: "Mr. Funk is often sought after for his analysis and has served as the legal expert for Florida Today." The article also states Frese emailed Florida Today with a statement from Kate, presumably while he was representing her.

Interesting...

Edited by MissMel
spelling
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, ryebread said:

You are smart.  I run a virus scan every day, sometimes twice because I'm too clicky.

I'd like to know if Kate has any convictions from any of her other previous arrests.  I don't know much about the law so I don't know that even if she had convictions how they would weigh in this case.   All my clicking can't find an answer to whether she's been convicted before or not.

I doubt any conviction would have anything to do with this case. As long as she completed her sentence, it shouldn't. It might get brought up during a trial but that's about it. 

• Love 1

Well, I wanted to.  But I dog Kate for everything from her hair to her rap sheet.  (Both are too long.)

Figured I'd leave her attorney alone.  ;-)

I don't know if she's guilty of this latest offense.  If she isn't, she'll be exonerated and will move on.  If proven guilty, she needs to take her punishement and then work on getting herself right.  Guilty or innocent, she's leads a messy life. 

• Love 4