Type keyword(s) to search

Kate: She'll Fold You A "Rocket Ship" Towel

methodwriter85
  • Start Topic

Despite myself, I really like Kate. Yes, she's stuck-up. Yes, she clearly looks at the end of her 30's instead of the beginning of it. But there's something just very fun and witty about her. She has a way with words, and in general she seems like a much better stew than Adrianne was in terms of getting along with people. (Despite her bitchy resting face and all that.)

I also think she's very cleverly sticking to the lie of being "31", because if you thumb through Bravo's "Before Below Deck Gallery", unlike the rest of the cast, she didn't give them a single photo of her in high school or as a little girl. Probably because a high school picture of Kate probably would have included spiral perms, banana clips, and other such late 80's/very early 90's paraphernalia because bitch be 39 if she's a day, yo.

The youngest-looking photo I saw of her looked like she was tending a bar, was somewhere in her early/mid-20's, and her hair had a circa 1996-1998 vibe. Which, again, for someone born in 1982 or 1983 doesn't really sound right, now does it?

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 7

I just think it's incredibly fishy that Kate is the only one of the entire cast who didn't submit a high school or childhood photo of herself. It definitely makes me think she's hiding her age. If she did, it has to be a significant amount, not just a year or two, to the point where seeing a photo of her at 16 or something would look absolutely nothing like the late 90's.

Her photos start at 67 of 86, and most of them are from recent-looking years. The only one where she does look significantly younger is one of her pouring champagne, and I think it could have been taken anywhere from the mid-1990's to the early 2000's, judging by her hair and make-up. But even then, it's not an easily dated photo, which again makes me think that Kate did that on purpose.

Although I do have a sister that was born in 1982, and she said it's entirely possible that Kate really is her age, because fake tanners age differently. I actually think it would be sadder if Kate really was 31 and just looked forty.

• Love 3

On Kate's blog, not on Bravo, but her personal blog, she has a photo of herself captioned "studying for college finals in 2007".  If that's true, it would make her current age about right.  Maybe she just spent too much time in the sun and, also, indulged in facial injectables.  I think those fillers always age a woman.  I really enjoyed reading her blog and think she's a pretty good writer.

On Kate's blog, not on Bravo, but her personal blog, she has a photo of herself captioned "studying for college finals in 2007".  If that's true, it would make her current age about right.

Holy crap, that means she's my age, if she did the high school-straight-to-college track. I don't really pay attention to their ages when they're mentioned on the show, but wow, that puts things in prospective. (For the record, I don't think I look as old as she does, but then again I burn waaay to easily to even pretend to fake tan and I've never been anywhere near anything resembling botox.

On Kate's blog, not on Bravo, but her personal blog, she has a photo of herself captioned "studying for college finals in 2007".  If that's true, it would make her current age about right.

Holy crap, that means she's my age, if she did the high school-straight-to-college track. I don't really pay attention to their ages when they're mentioned on the show, but wow, that puts things in prospective. (For the record, I don't think I look as old as she does, but then again I burn waaay to easily to even pretend to fake tan and I've never been anywhere near anything resembling botox.

• Love 1

Maybe Kate's only taking 1-3 years off her actual age. I can see her being 35. The thing that I've noticed with thin women (who also tan) is that their faces, due to having no fat and the effects of tanning, age faster. What's the phrase? "After 40, you have to choose your ass or your face?" It's because women who have a little extra weight tend to have plumper faces as well, and that often translates to looking a few years younger. 

• Love 1

She really does, and I don't mean that in a mean way. She's clearly unhappy with the job, she's not enjoying it, and she's not satisfied with it. Whatever she thought was going to happen with it, its not happening and she needs to move on.

• Love 4

She clearly stated that she got into yachting in order to meet a wealthy man that she could spend the rest of her life with. She apparently missed the memo that says "Hey Kate you don't live in a well written, warm and fuzzy romance movie". In the eyes of most of the people that have the money to charter a yacht, you are no more important to them than the champagne glass that they are drinking from. You are part of the yacht, you are not their peer.

• Love 7

Unfortunately for Kate most wealthy men aren't that interested in dating "the help"....which whether she admits to it or not, she IS. If she wants to bag a wealthy man serving him dinner while he is on vacation is probably not the way to do it. Seriously, chef Ben has more likelihood in hooking up with a rich passenger than Kate does.

• Love 2

On Kate's blog, not on Bravo, but her personal blog, she has a photo of herself captioned "studying for college finals in 2007".  If that's true, it would make her current age about right.  Maybe she just spent too much time in the sun and, also, indulged in facial injectables.  I think those fillers always age a woman.  I really enjoyed reading her blog and think she's a pretty good writer.

Studying for college finals in 2007 doesn't necessarily mean Kate started and finished university in 4 straight years.  Many people start and stop, start and stop.  My sister went to college on and off for 8 years until she received her Bachelor's Degree.

• Love 1

I don't know where to put this post, so I'm sticking it on Kate's thread because I think she was embarrassing as chief stew and would have benefitted from a few pages out of Adrienne's book. 

Adrienne was a mess, too, but mainly because her style was to run a really "tight ship" and she had Kat and the ODIOUS Samantha to deal with.   Sam was a smug, entitled little bitch who was "slumming" as a (tv show) yachtie and who enabled Kat's bad behavior so it was about 10x worse than this season.

The more insolent Kat and Sam got, the more Adrienne went into lockdown mode, which was ineffective.  Kat was always drunk and out of control, Sam smirked and behaved as though her boss had no more power than a puppy chewing her tennis shoe and Adrienne got more and more uptight in response.  Adrienne fell short because she should have managed to control those two somehow, but I don't know how.

If you were a guest, you'd want Adrienne and Amy onboard.   Kate trying to run the crew from last year would be a disaster; Kate, Kat and Sam would be enjoying an island picnic while the guests were back on the ship gnawing a granola bar someone found in the bottom of her purse.

Sidenote:  Adrienne did get kind of silly and giddy with the last charter guests, but it was the only enjoyable moment she had the whole season, so I was happy for her.

• Love 5

Adrienne fell short because she should have managed to control those two somehow, but I don't know how.

Adrienne's problem with Sam was that because it was a tv show, she couldn't insist Sam get fired for the various issues, and Sam and Kat both had some awareness of that, and amped up their behavior in response.

• Love 2

I seriously don't think Kate is anorexic. She has lots and lots of hair for someone who starves themselves

I don't have an opinion on the eating disorder, but I'd bet good money that those are hair extensions.

As a fellow victim of Bitchy Resting Face, I feel for Kate.  #TheStruggleIsReal

• Love 6

I don't have an opinion on the eating disorder, but I'd bet good money that those are hair extensions.

As a fellow victim of Bitchy Resting Face, I feel for Kate.  #TheStruggleIsReal

I thought the same exact thing at first. But she wears her hair up a lot and after pausing and zooming several times, I don't see any evidence of extensions whatsoever. That certainly doesn't prove anything but usually there's a "tell".

I'm pretty sure that Kate isn't going to rest until Leon is canned because she's convinced he's a liar who faked his credentials.

As for the age thing, Kate talked about foam parties belonging to 1997, reinforcing my belief that she's someone who was born circa 1976-1979, not 1982/1983. She supposedly would have been about 14/15 in 1997- a little young for college foam parties, no?

I'm pretty sure that Kate isn't going to rest until Leon is canned because she's convinced he's a liar who faked his credentials.

As for the age thing, Kate talked about foam parties belonging to 1997, reinforcing my belief that she's someone who was born circa 1976-1979, not 1982/1983. She supposedly would have been about 14/15 in 1997- a little young for college foam parties, no?

Yes, that's a bit young for college parties. I believe Kate is 35-37. Either that or she's had a rough life.

• Love 1

Ha! We should keep rolling the speculation on her age further and further back like those news bulletins about Sofia Vergara's character in Hot Pursuit! Every time a new one aired she was described as 5 years older and Reese Witherspoon was a couple of inches shorter!

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 3

I always have had tough demanding bosses, and I like that because I work hard when I am at work. I understand when I work, I am there to work. I would like working for Kate to be honest. It sucks to work hard and have a coworker who does not even try. I also appreciate her sense of humor. I guess I am a bit od a goody two shoes.

• Love 6

I was born in '83 and not one of my friends/peers looks near as old as Kate.

I always assumed she was so thin due to not having a sense of smell and therefore no sense of flavor in food. My grandma has always been thin for the same reason.

Edited by Rebecca
  • Love 1

Count me in, I was born in 82... But I do not feel like I could relate to Kate by being close in age. If I were going to say something were "sooo 1997" it would have been permed hair, or trapper keepers (actually I think those were gone by then), or flair bottomed jeans (that's about when they made a comeback) but I would not equate a foam party in that considering I was a sophomore in high school in 1997.

Count me in, I was born in 82... But I do not feel like I could relate to Kate by being close in age. If I were going to say something were "sooo 1997" it would have been permed hair, or trapper keepers (actually I think those were gone by then), or flair bottomed jeans (that's about when they made a comeback) but I would not equate a foam party in that considering I was a sophomore in high school in 1997.

I'm guessing Kate was born more in 1977 or 1978, did a few years of college in the 90's, took some time off, and then finished college in 2007 or so. I mean, her having a photo dated 2007 that says she's finishing up college doesn't mean squat about her age.

Her having a high school photo dated 1999 or 2000 about her finals would be far more convincing, but Kate didn't release a single photo of her childhood or teenage years.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1

Yeah I agree, 2007 is kinda late even for being born in 82, I graduated high school in 2000, college can take a long time, but as driven and regimented as she seems she doesn't strike me as someone who would have been on the 7 year plan, so I agree she probably started late or took a break, but there is no way she graduated high school later than 2000. My older sister is 36, and was born in 79, and graduated high school in 98, and college 2003...I would give Kate that, as I can see where my sister is starting to age (do NOT tell her I said that) and my sister is pretty careful about the sun and stuff, but in my opinion my sister still looks younger. So I can see for someone who has a job in the sun where they may age more/faster.

The very first caller question on WWHL was to Kate, asking if she's had Botox and fillers. She said yes to both, but "not recently," and Andy gave her a lecture about how he's warned her not to do anymore of those for now because "it makes her look older." It was kind of a burn.

Andy also asked her if she regretted being "mean" to Amy last season and she replied "no."

I'll give her this - she acts just the same on WWHL as she does on the show. So does Amy.

#TeamKate

NO NO NO NO NO!!! Kate is on WWHL right now, and said she is 32.... HELL NO! There is no way she is YOUNGER than me!!! #endrant

Wasn't she 32 last season too? I'm with you on the age discrepancy. And she has botox and fillers. Her forehead didn't move and her cheeks were full.

Edited by turbogirlnyc

Nope.  She looks older than me and I'm 10 years older than her proclaimed age.  I'm not one of those who look way younger than I am, either.  No way, no how. 

If only she could turn that frown upside down, she may not need the Botox to keep her from looking 50 in a couple of years (when she's 45).

Edited by straightshooter
  • Love 2

She was born in 1983 according to this:

http://florida.arrests.org/Arrests/Kathryn_Chastain_5499234/

I'm from the same town and we spend (spenT, in my case!) a hell of a lot of time in the sun here.....not a good anti-aging regime.

I will say she looks much younger and prettier in person.  Same as Connie, who is prettier and thinner in person than she looks on TV as well.

Her face is not making a great case for the yachting lifestyle. All of that sun, wind, and seawater have done terrible things to her skin. Next you'll be telling me that Captain Lee is only 40.

• Love 5

It could be the botox.  It does age you.  I know a Z list actress that has gone overboard with botox and fillers trying to keep looking young and it has aged her a ton.  I thought she was a good 15-20 years older than her real age and I saw her government issued ID, so I know she isn't lying about her DOB.

That mugshot is from 2011...and she somehow looks even older in it than she does now. Wtf? I still find it incredibly hard to believe she was born just a few months before me.

I'm having a hard time believing 1983 as her birthyear, but there are stranger things. I do figure that as a mugshot/arrest record, she can't really lie about her age.

I would guess 44-46. And I'm not being a dick towards her or saying that's old or anything. Just she looks mid forties in face, the lines, even her hands and neck look a bit older than her stated age.

Also her hair is thinner and dry straw instead of healthy and shiny and has no volume. She should get some deep conditioner and kinda brush it or set it I think that would help. Maybe she's too busy for that stuff though.

• Love 1

She has said that she doesn't bathe, other than ho-baths, most of the time.

She doesn't bathe, or she just doesn't wash her hair often? If it's the latter, I've heard of a lot of people doing that, where they wash their hair maybe only a few times a week to preserve the natural oils. If it's the former though... I can't blame Rocky for wanting to get the hell away from her.

Yesterday I watched a couple eps from last season.  Kate has definitely toned down her bitchiness. She was insufferable to Amy.  I suppose I admire Amy's ability to forgive what exclusionary hags Kate and Kat were to her.  I don't think I could do it. 

Similar to how Ben sat down with Kate this season and asked her to give Rocky a break, he also sat her down last season and asked her to stop being so awful to Amy. Either he's faking his concern/empathy or he's seen enough of her bitchiness, up close and personal, to call her out on it.

• Love 1