Type keyword(s) to search

Season Eight: Doomsday Cometh - Failsday Stayeth.

BkWurm1

More retcon fuckery with when Chloe's mother left. In the first season, we learned it was when she was 12, but by last season and even here, it was when she was 8, which whatever. And last I checked, Mr. Sullivan was still alive so why didn't he give Chloe away?

It's even trickier than that. In the early seasons we found out that one morning when Chloe was FIVE she woke up and her dad was making...I want to say waffles but it could have been pancakes, and that it was just the two of them. Then in season three or four we find out that her mom was in a mental institution and now the last time Chloe has seen her mom was when she was 12. But when Moira actually shows up, we see her voluntarily committing herself when Chloe was 8 or 9.

So this is my fanwank. Mom left when Chloe was 5 but she and Gabe reconciled eventually and then the thing with the scrubbing her hands raw happened when Chloe was 9 and she left permanently but that for some reason she and Chloe briefly saw each other when Chloe was 12 and then she completely vanished. There, all of its true now as opposed to the almost the most retconned thing on the show.

On the report that flashed on the screen about Moira in Progany it said:

"She has blue eyes and brown hair, is 5'8", was born September 20, 1960, and admitted herself to Forest Glen Sanitarium approximately nine years ago. Considered delusional and underwent intensive psychotherapy.

Patient eventually fell into a catatonic state, rendering further treatment ineffective." (It said other stuff too, the Smallville wiki is a great resource.)

So based on that, I add to the fanwank that Chloe saw her just before her mom slipped into the catatonic state. Like her mom knew she was slipping and wanted to see her baby one last time.

• Love 1

Right. After I got my replacement Season Two, because one disk in my original got all scratched up, I've been watching it today, to make sure all disks are okay, and in "Lineage" Chloe tells Clark, her mom left when she was five, so I stand corrected; though I could have sworn that in the first season, Chloe says how she and her dad moved to Smallville, after her mom left.

I like your fanwank, BkWurm. Saves me on the headache of trying to figure everything out.

The thing that made Davis's obsession about Chloe work for me is In Legion Brainiac taunts Davis that he'd been running a program on him and that nothing Davis felt was real and then he stuck him into a crystal thing to bring him faster to the next stage.

Once Chloe got rid of Brainiac, the feelings she had for Davis that Brainiac had been encouraging didn't entirely go away since he was the only one there for her after Jimmy dumped her but I don't think she ever loved him. Still had a subconscious case of the hots for him (me too only not subs conscious at all -that dream kiss was incredibly hot!!) and felt a certain amount of sympathy for him in his no win situation but I do not believe she ever was acting on real feelings like Oliver told Clark or Clark accused her of having.

So Chloe's feelings made sense to me and Davis was a preprogrammed bit of organic tech that Brainiac fiddled with to make sure he fixated on Chloe.

Right. After I got my replacement Season Two, because one disk in my original got all scratched up, I've been watching it today, to make sure all disks are okay, and in "Lineage" Chloe tells Clark, her mom left when she was five, so I stand corrected; though I could have sworn that in the first season, Chloe says how she and her dad moved to Smallville, after her mom left.

I like your fanwank, BkWurm. Saves me on the headache of trying to figure everything out.

Well she and her dad did move to Smallville after her mom left, just not right after, lol.

I have a much less happy fanwank for what happened to Gabe. There is no way a daughter does not ask her dad to walk her down the aisle unless she elopes or she and daddy are not speaking. Aka Gabe ditched Chloe the moment she turned 18. Didn't even show up for her graduation. In my head he always blamed her for them having to go into witness protection and his inability to get a good job after that. Only explanation I could come up with that worked. :(

• Love 1

Oh totally agree about Chloe's feeling for Davis were never love; but like I said, that's the problem of watching in a constant backtoback. I mean, him calling her on her wedding day, to leave and help him. I get it, I get it, he was morphing and needed her to come to him to stop him.  And it was obvious to me, that Clark was the reason she was doing all of this.

I think the next time I do a rewatch, I should take notes, heh. Because again, I want to say that some time last season, Chloe mentioned her dad; something about working again for LutherCorp? I don't recall.

Oh! And I forgot to mention--we got a Shelby recast this season. The one we saw when Clark was running late and forgot to feed him, then rushed back to open the can? His hair was a lot...fluffier and fly away.

And of course, Lois's allergy to him, disappeared by next season when Clark was "gone."

So, BkWurm, no thoughts about how Clark was dumbed down so that Lois had to "teach" him how to be a journalist?

So, BkWurm, no thoughts about how Clark was dumbed down so that Lois had to "teach" him how to be a journalist?

Something are so stupid they aren't even worth commenting on. ;p

At the time, I assumed everything he did and said in regards to the list was sarcastic. Only thing that made sense. ;)

Something are so stupid they aren't even worth commenting on. ;p

At the time, I assumed everything he did and said in regards to the list was sarcastic. Only thing that made sense. ;)

Ah. Got it.  I really wish I could believe he was being sarcastic, but alas, the BDA actually framed those fucking rules as some sort of shrine to refer to to make sure he was being a good reporter! It bugged me to no end, especially since we already knew he was a good journalist in high school, and that Perry already thought he had the makings of a great one. 

Oh, and I forgot to sing my song in my initial re-review of this season: When Davis accidentally let it slip that Chloe was engaged?

Jealous! Jealous!Jealous!Clark! Was there a smile of happiness on his face? No, there was NOT. There was shock and jealousy and also a look of opportunity lost. No one will convince me otherwise.  Timing was their worst enemy.  When Clark was mooning over Lana/with Lana, Chloe was single; when Chloe was with "Jimmy", Clark was single. Those crazy kids shoulda gotten together in Season 8 after "Jimmy" divorced her or in 9. But alas, we got the Eradicator Clark in Nine, so again, opportunity wasted. And then the hacks in charge had to quickly do a lightswich and have him sooooooo in luuuuuuuuve with Lois, it was like his and Chloe's friendship/attraction never existed.

• Love 1

Oh, and I forgot to sing my song in my initial re-review of this season: When Davis accidentally let it slip that Chloe was engaged?

Jealous! Jealous!Jealous!Clark! Was there a smile of happiness on his face? No, there was NOT. There was shock and jealousy and also a look of opportunity lost. No one will convince me otherwise.  Timing was their worst enemy.  When Clark was mooning over Lana/with Lana, Chloe was single; when Chloe was with "Jimmy", Clark was single. Those crazy kids shoulda gotten together in Season 8 after "Jimmy" divorced her or in 9. But alas, we got the Eradicator Clark in Nine, so again, opportunity wasted. And then the hacks in charge had to quickly do a lightswich and have him sooooooo in luuuuuuuuve with Lois, it was like his and Chloe's friendship/attraction never existed.

Not only did we get Clark looking jealous and unhappy, we had Chloe just about BEGGING Clark to give her any reason why she should call the whole thing off.  Just slayed me.  Stupid, stupid BDA.  I think I hate TPTB even more because of their habit of selling something I hated - engaged to Jimmy - with a IMO clear sign that the engagement was just a fake out only for it not to be.  ANY OTHER SHOW that would have been the moment that both realized they really wanted each other, but nope, not on Smallville. 

• Love 2

Not only did we get Clark looking jealous and unhappy, we had Chloe just about BEGGING Clark to give her any reason why she should call the whole thing off. Just slayed me. Stupid, stupid BDA. I think I hate TPTB even more because of their habit of selling something I hated - engaged to Jimmy - with a IMO clear sign that the engagement was just a fake out only for it not to be. ANY OTHER SHOW that would have been the moment that both realized they really wanted each other, but nope, not on Smallville.

YES!

Just watched it again and I'm muttering " Ckark, you BDA" and I don't mean Dumb Alien!

ETA:

GAWD, I'm doing such eye rolling here. I missed some of this during my last megamarathon rewatch.

First, I'm fist pumping and agreeing with Chloe telling Jimmy how his endless insecurity over Clark is getting tiresome; or was it wearisome? Either way, it's how I've felt about him since day one. HE's tiresome.

And PLEASE, with Clark saying to Lois that he didn't know for all those years how Chloe felt about him when she was "right there in front of him" when he told her about Chloe's letter and was talking about soul mates in "Instinct."

And nooooo, Clark, Chloe gave you that white rose/Boutonnière at Homecoming Freshman year. Freshman year Homecoming was the fucking Pilot. And you didn't go, you were strung up like a scarecrow with Lana's kryptonite necklace due to Whitney's irrational jealousy.  It was the Spring Formal.

Me: facepalming and knocking my head on my coffee table when Clark is reciting Jimmy's vows about knowing Chloe was meant for him forevah from the moment he first met her "all those years ago."

No. You had a one night stand with her, where you took her virginity and never called her back, and it wasn't until after "Zod" like over a year later that you bumped into her. Didn't bother to call or look her up.

So, now I'm just watching episodes I like. Like "Legion." And now I'm done.  For realsies. For a long time. Well, okay, I'm going to watch that last minute of the series finale because of Perry's voice in the background and John Williams's score.

What?

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1

Four episodes in and all I can think: should I really be so distracted by that how there only seems to be one little narrow, twisty street in Metropolis?  And, I know this isn't something new, but it still cracks me up that everyone lives in Smallville and commutes the six hours to Metropolis every day. I mean, it makes sense for Clark since he's got the super speed and Tess probably has use of that Luthor helicopter, but Jimmy, Chloe and Lois must spend more time in their cars than actually at work. 

No seriously, so far S8 has not been too bad. Although, I do wonder when Lois got so old hat at the Daily Planet that she's not only handing out assignments to Clark, but proofing his stories too? Have not missed Lana and Clark's on again/off again BS, but could do without Jimmy's insecurities with Chloe, too. Too bad Chloe got shoved out of the reporter gig, but I've been thinking she should become a private detective or something like that. I think that would be cool for her. Anyway, I have been enjoying Clark working at the Daily Planet. Seems like the kids have finally grown up.

So, I'm assuming this Davis character is the season long big bad, this Tess cat is the new Lex, and Chloe is Brainiac, huh? Okie dokie. I'm sure at some point Clark will fix Chloe, defeat Davis and best Tess by the end of the season. ;)

, and Chloe is Brainiac, huh? Okie dokie. I'm sure at some point Clark will fix Chloe, defeat Davis and best Tess by the end of the season. ;)

Well, if you recall that Brainiac tried to zombiefy Chloe at the end of last season, her 'Brainiac' abilities shouldn't be such a surprise, since it didn't really work. It took a lot out of him and he had said "what the hell are you?" so there's that.  And since you're only four episodes in, I'll leave it at that, and not spoil you regarding your speculations about the rest.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule

Well, if you recall that Brainiac tried to zombiefy Chloe at the end of last season, her 'Brainiac' abilities shouldn't be such a surprise, since it didn't really work. It took a lot out of him and he had said "what the hell are you?" so there's that.  And since you're only four episodes in, I'll leave it at that, and not spoil you regarding your speculations about the rest.

I didn't mean to suggest it was a surprise, I was just making a stupid little joke. It's not really speculation as much as a sarcastic observation. 

ETA: While I'm being sarcastic...Clark is human until he gets flown in to the sun? Because that makes sense. ;)

Edited by DittyDotDot

ETA: While I'm being sarcastic...Clark is human until he gets flown in to the sun? Because that makes sense. ;)

Oh, you innocent, innocent soul.  The things I could tell you about season eight...

I will say that I enjoyed almost all of it. 

• Love 2

Blech. I hate memory-wipe storylines. They're so stupid. You can't wipe away a big component to Chloe and Clark's relationship for the past few years and keep that same relationship. So does she only remember breaking into places with Clark, but not him using his powers? How about her calling him to come save her on multiple occasions? What about how she ended up in the arctic back at the start of S5? Hell, half of her time at the Daily Planet was spent researching things for Clark...It's just too much to erase and keep the character in tact without those memories.

Oh, and don't even get me started on how Chloe is in fact in more danger now. She's been too involved in Clark's business for far too long; she's a target and now she doesn't have certain knowledge she needs to protect herself. Not to mention how it's incredibly selfish to take someone's memories away from them without their consent. Ugh...probably shouldn't get too worked up until I see the actual aftermath--maybe this will be the show that surprises me with this sort of storyline--but it's something that just irks me and sets me on edge every time it crops up on one of these shows.

Sorry, sometimes you just need to vent.

Other than that, I really enjoyed Abyss. As I've said before, Chloe-centered episodes always seem to shine for me. 

Oh, you innocent, innocent soul.  The things I could tell you about season eight...

I will say that I enjoyed almost all of it. 

I was more commenting on how, no matter how much the show keeps trying to say the opposite, Clark was never human and never will be, powers or not. And, if he was in fact human, flying him into the sun would kill him. Just something that makes me giggle.

Anyway, I've been prepared for the show to start going off the rails like it usually does at some point every season. It's tipped a couple of times--and certainly doesn't make any more sense than it ever did--but eight episodes in and I'm shocked to report it's mostly stayed on-course so far this season. It's really a surprising turn of events. Of course, I fully expect it still to happen, though...I should be approaching the mid-season break very soon and that usually means a shocking death or a shocking return of someone.

As to the first, I'm not sure yet who that would be. If I didn't know better I'd vote for Jimmy by the way they've handled him as a character thus far this season and the sudden love triangle with Doom. But I'm thinking Jimmy Olsen will (or should, anyway) survive Smallville. However, I would bet Lana returning would qualify for the second. So I'm now preparing myself for some obnoxious angsting in the near future. And just when I had convinced myself that chapter was finally over. Sigh.

I was more commenting on how, no matter how much the show keeps trying to say the opposite, Clark was never human and never will be, powers or not. And, if he was in fact human, flying him into the sun would kill him. Just something that makes me giggle.

Oh I understood it's just the WTF level gets so much higher at the end of the season so that little logic fails like flying "human" Clark into the sun to restore his powers was making me nostalgic. 

Your rant about Abyss hit all the relevant points we all said.  It was not only a TERRIBLE thing to do to someone that had JUST told Clark that she'd never trade knowing his secret for anything you douche bag, but yeah, how could she even function with those great gaping holes.  How could she make knowledge based choices if she doesn't really know who she is or what she needs or wants in her life?  I have some theories I can share once you've seen the next episode. 

I was pissed off then and honestly, it still pisses me off. 

However, I would bet Lana returning would qualify for the second. So I'm now preparing myself for some obnoxious angsting in the near future. And just when I had convinced myself that chapter was finally over. Sigh.

Brace yourself!!  Remember how in season 7 Lane was in a coma for most of her episodes (and I celebrated and was happy that she was gone?), well everything comes with a price.  And boy oh boy is this one a doozy. 

Some horrible things happen in season eight but again, a lot of well written episodes happen too.  Legion is a great episode.  Bride has it's moments.  I enjoyed a lot of Davis's story.  The season gets really morally complicated with some no win choices and that was ok...for almost the whole season. 

Edited by BkWurm1

And, I know this isn't something new, but it still cracks me up that everyone lives in Smallville and commutes the six hours to Metropolis every day. I mean, it makes sense for Clark since he's got the super speed and Tess probably has use of that Luthor helicopter, but Jimmy, Chloe and Lois must spend more time in their cars than actually at work.

Oh, I meant to share a fanwank about this that let me stop obsessing over how nuts this is. 

Someone in some fan fiction came up with a rather elegant solution.  In the early seasons the trip from Smallville to Metropolis DID take three hours but in the ensuing years a brand new road and bridge was built over a river that cut the time to Metropolis down to no more than a half hour (since they would no longer have to drive way farther than they needed to get to an existing bridge.).  Poof!  It makes sense. 

Like I said, a complete fanwank, but the show stopped treating the distance between Smallville and Metropolis as a three hour ride so something had to have happened so even though the show never specified what, I feel it is an in show fact that the commute somehow shrunk.  This was the only logical explanation I've ever heard of.  

Edited by BkWurm1

Oh, I meant to share a fanwank about this that let me stop obsessing over how nuts this is. 

Someone in some fan fiction came up with a rather elegant solution.  In the early seasons the trip from Smallville to Metropolis DID take three hours but in the ensuing years a brand new road and bridge was built over a river that cut the time to Metropolis down to no more than a half hour (since they would no longer have to drive way farther than they needed to get to an existing bridge.).  Poof!  It makes sense. 

Like I said, a complete fanwank, but the show stopped treating the distance between Smallville and Metropolis as a three hour ride so something had to have happened so even though the show never specified what, I feel it is an in show fact that the commute somehow shrunk.  This was the only logical explanation I've ever heard of.  

Funny thing is, at the end of Abyss, it's stated it's a 2-hour drive. Jimmy and Clark are trying to talk Chloe out of going to pay the florist and she says she's perfectly fine to make the 2-hour trip by herself. TBH, it doesn't really hang me up too much, but does give me a chuckle when I do stop to think about it.

Funny thing is, at the end of Abyss, it's stated it's a 2-hour drive. Jimmy and Clark are trying to talk Chloe out of going to pay the florist and she says she's perfectly fine to make the 2-hour trip by herself. TBH, it doesn't really hang me up too much, but does give me a chuckle when I do stop to think about it.

Oh, I got around that.  I decided they meant it was a two hour trip total and that there was traffic thus transforming it into a longer commute.  :D

I drives me insane.  They had a episode where Jimmy was trying to persuade Chloe to move to Metropolis and they never mentioned the three hour drive time.  Also, too often we had Lana apparently driving three hours in season five just to have a two minute conversation with Clark.  The logic fails were too large for me to handle. 

Brace yourself!!  Remember how in season 7 Lane was in a coma for most of her episodes (and I celebrated and was happy that she was gone?), well everything comes with a price.  And boy oh boy is this one a doozy. 

Bwah, ha, ha! Lana is Kryptonite...that's just...well...the stupidest damn thing ever! But at least it does put an end to the off again/on again crap for Lana and Clark. Seriously though, is this a case of the writers putting a leash on themselves because they just couldn't help themselves from biting that storyline over and over and over again? The whole thing just cracked me up, probably more than it had a right to.

I agree with you that Legion was pretty good, but could've lived without the talk of how Lana has her own special "destiny" and I knew that ring would just be a crutch later. However, Chloe's side of things was really quite good--Allison Mack really brought it in this episode--I know it's cliche, but I still couldn't keep from giggling at her walking around in that blood covered wedding dress.

Bride didn't do much for me though, I think it's just that I'm kinda found-footaged out right now, so the format was distracting. So, Jimmy lives, but is he basically gone from the show now? The following few episodes didn't show him at all and if they were invested in Jimmy as a character, I'd think they would've done some follow up with the aftermath. Plus, I seem to recall Aaron Ashmore being on Warehouse 13...not sure if that quite lines up time-wise though.

And I enjoyed some aspects of Infamous, but didn't really need Tori Spelling back on my screen. I agree with Chloe, Clark's desire to keep his secret from Lois (and Lana previously) is really more a shield to keep him from getting hurt. No sure the public at large was really so fond of Lex that it makes sense they would've done a 180 on Clark, but it is smarter for Clark to keep some things about himself away from the general public.

Seriously, though, I'm still laughing at Lana's return and departure... ;)

Seriously, though, I'm still laughing at Lana's return and departure... ;)

I have good news for you.  She never comes back! 

Bride didn't do much for me though, I think it's just that I'm kinda found-footaged out right now, so the format was distracting. So, Jimmy lives, but is he basically gone from the show now? The following few episodes didn't show him at all and if they were invested in Jimmy as a character, I'd think they would've done some follow up with the aftermath. Plus, I seem to recall Aaron Ashmore being on Warehouse 13...not sure if that quite lines up time-wise though

Most of Bride was a mess but I loved the ending so much that I remember the whole episode with more fondness than it deserves.  Lois's sudden tears over having feelings for Clark were IMO ridiculous but I found them so all season.  Oliver's sudden need to kill Lex was so annoying since it was actually Lionel that killed his parents.  But more annoying was Lana coming back and suddenly being on equal footing as a fighter.   Cracked me up that the "almost" moment between Clark and Lois got broken up by Lana...actually now that I think about it, it was actually just Chloe yelling "Oh, my god!" and they jumped five miles away from each other, ha, ha, ha. 

On to my theory about what happened after Chloe's memories were taken and some earlier stuff.  I think Brainiac's whole plan was to mess with Chloe's memories so much that Clark would be forced to bring her to the Fortress.

It's why I think that it absolutely was Brainiac and not Chloe that overloaded that one dudes mind.  It seemed clear that Chloe was confused as to what she was doing once she was out in the hospital hallway which signaled that once again she'd lost a bit of time like had been happening to her.  But the question was what motive would Brainiac have for keeping Clark's secret quiet?  Answer, because he needed Clark to be around to "fix" Chloe when the time was right so Brainiac could corrupt and control the Fortress.  If Clark was forced to go into hiding or go on the run then Clark wouldn't even know Chloe needed fixing. 

So when the time was right (aka Brainiac's program he was running on Davis and Chloe was far enough along) Brainiac exposed Chloe's memory problem to Clark but at the same time did it in a way that made Davis think he must mean a whole lot to Chloe so that when suddenly she dropped him from her life it caused him to freak, go Doomsday and then Brainiac was able to lure him to the Fortress where he was able to speed up his transformation (Aka letting Doomsday become the dominant half). 

That week that Chloe didn't have her memories of Clark's secret I think Brainiac had control of her more often than one would think.  Why do I think so?  For one how else would she not notice the huge gaping holes in her memory?  But also we find out later she doesn't remember much of the wedding and also during that week she wouldn't call Davis back even when he sounded like he was in real trouble and that was soo out of character for Chloe.  Another moment in the episode that sold me that Brainiac was in control a lot was when Clark goes to talk to her in the loft and Chloe is standing stone still in her wedding dress I think holding her bouquet which would make sense if she was looking in the mirror but she was actually standing like that all alone with her back to the mirror which is just weird. 

Obviously I've thought about this a lot.  Season eight has a lot of long hiatus's.  Still mad that Clark NEVER fesses up to what he did to Chloe and neither does Oliver or Lana.  Some friends. 

Oh and Jimmy will be back.  That was not a good thing in my book.  (AA did Warehouse 13 later.)

I can't help feel bad for poor Davis. He wanted to be a good guy but really he wasn't ever human, just a kryptonian creation that adopted Davis as a mask to cover up what he really was.  Whatever Brainiac did to Davis in the Fortress accelerated his disintegration.     

• Love 3
I can't help feel bad for poor Davis. He wanted to be a good guy but really he wasn't ever human, just a kryptonian creation that adopted Davis as a mask to cover up what he really was. 

This made me flash back to so many discussions I had on TWOP about Davis.

I don't agree with the idea that Davis was just a mask. Instead, I always sort of saw it as two beings possessing the same body, and Davis (the guy who truly wanted to be a good person and just live his life) wasn't any less real than Dooms (the remorseless killing machine).

The fact that he wasn't human, and was created in a lab, had nothing to do with it. Even if his creators only expected Davis to be a shell, Davis turned out to be a being with thoughts, feelings, and a moral code. He wasn't just pretending to care about other people, or pretending not to want to hurt anyone, or pretending to care about his job just to blend in. Those aspects of his character were real.

Basically, he was a sentient being and as much of a "real person" as anybody else. And I always fall on the side of sentient beings having a right to live their lives and be treated as real people.

Of course, I've been watching stories about characters who aren't human and were created in labs (or maybe some other way) for ages. So thanks to those characters, and storylines that dealt with their issues, I had a lot of opinions on the subject going into season 8 of SV. And that definitely influenced how I saw Davis.

Edited by Bitterswete
  • Love 1

I don't agree with the idea that Davis was just a mask. Instead, I always

sort of saw it as two beings possessing the same body, and Davis (the guy who

truly wanted to be a good person and just live his life) wasn't any less real

than Dooms (the remorseless killing machine).

I agree with you.  I didn't express what I meant very well.

By mask I meant that Davis didn't have any way of stopping Doomsday from eventually taking over.  He had some stop gap stuff but it was programmed into his DNA to fail in the long run.  It's my running theory that

had they been able to split Davis from Doomsday sooner that he would have been the good man we met, but that as Doomsday was becoming more and more the dominant mind, what made Davis who he was was slipping away. When his love no longer was enough to keep Dooms at Bay, then Davis was already lost. 

He MIGHT have attacked Jimmy but he would never have hurt Chloe. I don't even buy he'd hurt Jimmy.  Punch him maybe, but kill him?  Nope.  Even right before he was split, he was willing to sacrifice his life not just for Chloe but for everyone.  He didn't want to be a killer.  The real Davis would not have chosen to kill anyone just because his feelings were hurt.   

Edited by BkWurm1

I have good news for you.  She never comes back! 

It's funny because I never actually had a problem with Lana as a character, just got tired of how the writers couldn't help themselves with her and Clark. I really hate the will they/won't they that's eventually replaced by the on again/off again. Either do it or don't, eight seasons of the back and forth is just annoying. Plus, we know she doesn't end up with Clark anyway, so it's was just a bunch of pointless angst in the end. I actually thought the season they had Lana with Lex was the best thing for her character--It gave her something to do separate from Clark--but then they ruined it by having her motivations for staying with Lex being all about Clark, in the end. 

What made me laugh about her being Krytonite in the end was how disrespectful it was for their beloved Lois. Clark can't realize Lana was mostly just a high school fantasy and grow up...oh no, he physically can't be around her and that's the only reason he moves on. Lois will always be second choice now. I mean, it's fine with me because I'm not invested in any romantic relationships for this show, but just made me laugh considering how hard they've tried to put Lois and Clark together this season. 

On to my theory about what happened after Chloe's memories were taken and some earlier stuff.  I think Brainiac's whole plan was to mess with Chloe's memories so much that Clark would be forced to bring her to the Fortress.

I came to a similar conclusion--Chloe's memories weren't wiped, Brainiac was still in control and he just played along until he didn't need to play along anymore. I assumed Clark had some part to play in Brainiac's plan is why he didn't kill Clark. We just didn't see what Brainiac needed Clark for. So, in a sense I owe the show an apology because my rant didn't really fit. However, the fact that they threw it out there without thinking about how it would actually work--because it didn't really matter how it worked--annoys too. It reeks of laziness. Ah well, whatcha gonna do?

It's funny because I never actually had a problem with Lana as a character, just got tired of how the writers couldn't help themselves with her and Clark. I really hate the will they/won't they that's eventually replaced by the on again/off again. Either do it or don't, eight seasons of the back and forth is just annoying. Plus, we know she doesn't end up with Clark anyway, so it's was just a bunch of pointless angst in the end. I actually thought the season they had Lana with Lex was the best thing for her character--It gave her something to do separate from Clark--but then they ruined it by having her motivations for staying with Lex being all about Clark, in the end.

I hate the fake baby plot because it seemed to me that had Lex not played that card she would have picked him but he rushed everything and being forced into fast forward about her life IMO is what had her looking fondly at her past. 

Lana by herself annoyed me because of how special the show treated her in the early years, really seasons 1-5.  She was good at anything they needed her to be good at  (usually instantly) and then conveniently bad if she needed to be damselled. She also was kind of a crappy friend to Chloe during that time (and Clark and Lex) and honestly, not terribly kind to her aunt who would have raised her since she was the same age that Clark was when the Kents found him.  To him, they were mom and dad but Lana didn't see her aunt as a parent - ever.  She didn't bond.  She refused to bond and instead always chased after what she'd lost.  Some of that probably has to be on Nell but still it seems to say a lot about Lana at her core.  It just always made me see Lana as emotionally manipulative, untrustworthy, and selfish. 

I think I had trouble seeing her as anything but a very obvious plot tool.  She was always the writers puppet and her strings showed badly.  I rarely hated her but just wanted her gone since her story always seemed to come at the expense of logic and everyone else's. 

And that was before they beat the dead horse that was Clana over and over and over. 

What made me laugh about her being Krytonite in the end was how disrespectful it was for their beloved Lois. Clark can't realize Lana was mostly just a high school fantasy and grow up...oh no, he physically can't be around her and that's the only reason he moves on. Lois will always be second choice now. I mean, it's fine with me because I'm not invested in any romantic relationships for this show, but just made me laugh considering how hard they've tried to put Lois and Clark together this season.

It was so incredibly puzzling why they didn't follow through with the ground work laid for Clark and Lana to just realized that they were more in love with the idea of each other than the reality.  And yes, it's blatant that Lois is at the very least second choice.  Something happens in season 10 that IMO knocks down the "epic love story of Lois and Clark" even further. There was something subversive about the writers.  Both from season 9 forward pushing Lois and Clark and yet doing it in the most unflattering manner.   

• Love 1

You know, at times, S8 episodes have been really good...right up until they're not. Turbulence and Hex are prime examples of this.

Turbulence starts out a very strong episode. I really liked how they blended in Jimmy's nightmares with reality to drive home how no one really knew what was reality at any given time. But then, I was just annoyed by the resolution. I found it odd Chloe didn't think there could be something to Jimmy's assertions--not that she necessarily should've thought Davis a killer, but that her own inner curiosity didn't have her wondering if there was something there to investigate, plus Chloe tends to usually have a bit more faith in people, IMO. I also thought Jimmy was a bit too pissy at the end there. Not that he was wrong exactly--Chloe never did really trust him and all--just that Jimmy had his part to play in the fantasy of Chloe and Jimmy too, so I found it a bit too much in the end. Up until that point, though, I really enjoyed the episode even though Clark and Tess's side was kinda pointless, IMO.

I was fully on-board with Hex the moment I realized it was a body-swap episode--which usually can be just a bit of fun and silliness on a show like Smallville; and it did have that, to be sure--but, in the end, the episode kinda left me annoyed. I can't help but feel like it was a Chloe-centered episode starring Lois. I'm not a rabid fan of any character, but it kinda felt like a bit of a slap in the face when it was all said and done. I will say, though, I thought Erica Durance did a great job trying to emulate some of Allison Mack's mannerisms and I always find Welling terrific when he gets to step outside his typical Clark and stretch a bit. Also, that scene on the roof where Chloe-in-a-Lois is trying to convince Clark he's some super-powered alien was so very funny and charming to me. I don't think this show has had me laughing so hard since S2. Intentionally laughing, that is, I did find Lana being Kryptonite to be unintentionally hilarious, after all.

And, then there was Eternal--which I found to basically be a ret-con wrapped in bullshit and covered with angst; more or less, anyway--and Stiletto had me rolling my eyes more often than not. I really wanted to like these two episodes, for different reasons--Eternal for finally moving the season-long arc along a bit and Stiletto for trying to have some fun--but i just don't. I'm almost to the end of the season...this does not bode well.

(edited)

Turbulence starts out a very strong episode. I really liked how they blended in Jimmy's nightmares with reality to drive home how no one really knew what was reality at any given time. But then, I was just annoyed by the resolution. I found it odd Chloe didn't think there could be something to Jimmy's assertions--not that she necessarily should've thought Davis a killer, but that her own inner curiosity didn't have her wondering if there was something there to investigate, plus Chloe tends to usually have a bit more faith in people, IMO. I also thought Jimmy was a bit too pissy at the end there. Not that he was wrong exactly--Chloe never did really trust him and all--just that Jimmy had his part to play in the fantasy of Chloe and Jimmy too, so I found it a bit too much in the end. Up until that point, though, I really enjoyed the episode even though Clark and Tess's side was kinda pointless, IMO.

I tolerated Jimmy before this episode.  Never loved him, was often irritated by his neediness but even though Jimmy was totally right about Davis, this was the last straw for his character for me.  This felt like his true weaknesses finally coming through.  He claims he loves Chloe but when the chips were down and his ego bruised, he humiliated her, walked away and left her in the clutches of a murdering monster.  And he didn't care. 

I don't accept that his actions can be blamed on addiction to pain meds.  This was supposed to be the woman he loved.  That she didn't believe she was putting her trust in a killer should have only made Jimmy more determined to keep her away from Davis.  If he couldn't convince her, find another way to separate them or turn to someone else to argue his case, but nope, he once again just like always makes it ALL about him. 

And then he trashes her on Facebook.  How rude.  I hated how they resolved things between he and Chloe later.  Had to fanwank to fix.  Will share it at the end of your watch of the season. 

I can't help but feel like it was a Chloe-centered episode starring Lois. I'm not a rabid fan of any character, but it kinda felt like a bit of a slap in the face when it was all said and done.

Yeah, I had issues with the episode.  Not even so much the fact that it was ED playing Chloe as some of the crap she had to go through, like finding out that Clark - who can superspeed - blew off her birthday like pretty much everyone else - but found plenty of time to haze Lois on the phone.  Dude took Chloe so for granted. 

I also disagree with Chloe's conclusion that Clark never looked at her like he looked at Lois.  There was nothing lover like in the looks he was giving Lois/Chloe when they first bumped into each other at the office, the look Chloe got was Clark reacting to spending the day with Chloe operating Lois.  Unless it was all about looks I don't think what the show showed agreed with Chloe's interpretation.  I mean, so Clark give's Lois/Chloe a loopy look, it still took him seeing Chloe before he was willing to believe what she was telling him.  His faith and trust in Chloe let him jump off a roof.  

I also hated the way it seemed that Chloe was just giving up on all her dreams and settling.  End of season ten fixed this for me at least but I was sad for her for a long time.  

Stiletto had me rolling my eyes more often than not

Stilletto was the last nail in the coffin that was Lois's journalistic integrity.  She literally faked a story - complete with pictures - so she could get on the front page.  And that was on top of her not even knowing who Edward R Murrow was.  Her actions led to JImmy getting beaten, Chloe nearly getting killed, Davis having to rescue her and Chloe having to clean up his crime.  And I was supposed to think THIS was the Pulitzer Prize winning Lois Lane?  Sigh.  It hurts me.     

Eternal was a retcon of sorts but I reconciled the changes by the fact that Brainiac actually messed with the timeline.  He went back in time and was going to kill Clark as a baby but Clark finally got his head out of his butt (Thank you Chloe) and let Jor-El do his who hoo and saved his baby self.  I just decided that the first time around when Clark landed, there was nothing on his spaceship but that Brainiac added Zod's experiment the second time around. Other wise how would Zod have gotten the genetic goo on the ship and how is it that Brainiac was able to run a controlling program on Davis? 

So with that in mind, I enjoyed Wee Davis and Wee Alexander playing together.  So sweet, so sad.  Lionel dumping him in the rain was awful.  Plus the scene where Chloe "killed" Davis to save Clark just guts me. 

Chloe got a lot of grief for hiding Davis but honestly, what was the alternative?  Nothing could kill him and Clark had badly lost every fight against him.  I wish she would have confided in Clark about Davis but Clark was in his "I don't listen" stage at that point.  He bull rushed head first in ever situation without listening to anyone or taking heed of his own safety.  Something happens that Chloe gets even more flack for (you'll know it when you see it) but again, I couldn't blame her for stepping in since Clark was acting so incredibly reckless.  People often overlook that she probably saved Clark from throwing away his life, but I'll save my full comment for after you have seen it. 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 2

I also hated the way it seemed that Chloe was just giving up on all her dreams and settling.  End of season ten fixed this for me at least but I was sad for her for a long time.  

To me it wasn't so much as Chloe giving up as much as the writers outright saying Chloe isn't going to ever become Lois--now that we have the rights to the actual Lois--so shut up about it. That's why I thought it was a sort of slap in the face. The funny thing is, I never really wanted Chloe to be Lois, per se; I always wanted Chloe to be Chloe. IMO, Chloe doesn't need to be a reporter; there's plenty of things she could do and still be important to the story. I still think it'd be cool for Chloe to become a private detective. It would put her past investigative reporter skills to use coupled with her own inner desire to solve meteor-related puzzles, plus leave her open to help Clark and have a life that's her own. I don't know, like I said, I wanted to like it, but just didn't in the end.

Eternal was a retcon of sorts but I reconciled the changes by the fact that Brainiac actually messed with the timeline.  He went back in time and was going to kill Clark as a baby but Clark finally got his head out of his butt (Thank you Chloe) and let Jor-El do his who hoo and saved his baby self.  I just decided that the first time around when Clark landed, there was nothing on his spaceship but that Brainiac added Zod's experiment the second time around. Other wise how would Zod have gotten the genetic goo on the ship and how is it that Brainiac was able to run a controlling program on Davis? 

So with that in mind, I enjoyed Wee Davis and Wee Alexander playing together.  So sweet, so sad.  Lionel dumping him in the rain was awful.  Plus the scene where Chloe "killed" Davis to save Clark just guts me. 

That's the part I found to be a retcon--wee Davis and Lex, not only meeting, but being besties for a day. I've always thought Lionel knew more than he said about the meteor shower and it doesn't stretch my incredulity too much to believe there could have been two "travelers" who arrived that day. What I did find to be unbelievable--aside from that corny "journal" of Lionel's complete with very detailed drawings which Lionel didn't first-hand knowledge of anyway--was Davis and Lex playing swords and all. I could've easily bought that wee Davis hid and was never discovered by Lionel, though, and as a result ended up on the streets that way. I get the show was trying to tie everything together--which, kudos to them for the effort, I guess--but I think they just went one step too far and it all fell apart, for me anyway, as a result. 

Stilletto was the last nail in the coffin that was Lois's journalistic integrity.  She literally faked a story - complete with pictures - so she could get on the front page.  And that was on top of her not even knowing who Edward R Murrow was.  Her actions led to JImmy getting beaten, Chloe nearly getting killed, Davis having to rescue her and Chloe having to clean up his crime.  And I was supposed to think THIS was the Pulitzer Prize winning Lois Lane?  Sigh.  It hurts me.     

Good God, could Lois be any less of a journalist? I have yet to see Lois, in any way, appear as a competent reporter. I guess I should give the show credit for keeping Lois in-character in that respect. I guess that's kinda the point with Lois, she'll all talk and bravado, but rarely has the goods to back it up. Like I've said before, I don't mind her as a character, but she's totally incompetent, IMO.

The thing that's been irking me about Lois is, she acts and never really has to pay the consequences herself. Everyone around her gets thrown under the bus when she decides that's the best way to stop the bus, but she always comes out smelling like roses...have I mentioned how I don't really care for the smell of roses? And here I was warming up to Lois in S6 and S7. ;)

I tolerated Jimmy before this episode.  Never loved him, was often irritated by his neediness but even though Jimmy was totally right about Davis, this was the last straw for his character for me.  This felt like his true weaknesses finally coming through.  He claims he loves Chloe but when the chips were down and his ego bruised, he humiliated her, walked away and left her in the clutches of a murdering monster.  And he didn't care. 

I never minded Jimmy as a character, but never bought he and Chloe as a real star-crossed couple. To me, both Jimmy and Chloe were more interested in the idea of Chloe and Jimmy than each other. I think Jimmy loved the idea of marrying the girl next door, not necessarily Chloe herself. It made him feel like he was making something of himself, doing what adults were supposed to do and meant he wasn't his father. But I also think Jimmy knew, on some level Chloe didn't really love him either, but wasn't willing to give up on the idea of Jimmy and Chloe. That would've said he was a failure. Which is why I assumed he started taking the pills and isn't at all about Chloe or losing the love of his life.

And, I think Chloe loved Jimmy because she thought Jimmy loved Chloe. Like Clark, Jimmy gave Chloe friendship but unlike Clark Jimmy gave Chloe what Clark never could--to feel needed. But, Chloe marrying Jimmy without laying some things on the line first spoke volumes to me about how far her feelings towards Jimmy went. Not that Chloe should've outted Clark or Davis or Oliver or all the other people whose secrets she was keeping, but just saying she was the keeper of other people's secrets and they weren't hers to tell--so sometimes she may not be able to tell him everything--but she wouldn't out-and-out lie to him anymore would've sold me on her being invested, not only in the relationship, but in Jimmy himself.

That's not to say I don't think they cared for each other, I'm sure they did on some level, but sometimes it takes more to make a relationship work. Which leads me to the real reason the episode resolution left me irritated. I'm so tired of this idea that if you "love" someone that means you must hold on to them until you kill them. I would've much more appreciated the break up if Jimmy and Chloe had both just realized they were trying to hold together a fantasy rather than Jimmy laying the blame at Chloe's feet, just for the sake of melodrama. 

Plus, I'd love one of these shows to acknowledge that keeping your loved ones in the dark does not in fact make them safe, but actually puts them in more danger. It's not the knowing of the danger itself that's the danger, but the being in close proximity of the target of the danger without any knowledge of how one might protect themselves from said danger that puts them in serious danger. Wow, that's some convoluted nonsense right there, but I think you'll get my meaning. ;)

Chloe got a lot of grief for hiding Davis but honestly, what was the alternative?   

I'm not ready to judge this yet, I'll have to see how it plays out. Sure, it does seem foolhardy on the surface and I'm guessing it won't lead to anything good, but in the wake of Davis surviving the only way they knew to kill him, I'm not sure what her alternative was either. I hope it's not just her running around cleaning up Davis' messes, though, and there is some actual proactive work into finding a permanent solution. I doubt Clark will ever see it my way and I'm counting on a lecture at some point in the near future, though.

A couple of things.

I wholly and respectfully disagree that Chloe should have been anything but a journalist. That's who and what she is, and has been since DAY ONE of this series, starting from her days on The Torch. I didn't expect her to become Lois, though I did harbor a small wish that mebbe she could have been, had the showrunners decided and stuck to the idea that this show could have been an alternate universe. But nooooo, they wanted to bring in Lois Lane, and if they had brought in and created the character of the real Lois Lane, I wouldn't have had any issues. But they had an illiterate, college dropout, tabloid, eleeping with her editor to get choice assignement maroon, who suddenly had the curiosity and integrity and chops to be a good reporter and who suddenly was supposed to be the Lois Lane. Please.

And it wasn't that Chloe thought Clark didn't need her or know that he didn't need her. She did know this, and he did need her and he's told her as much. It was that the BDA refused to see or acknowledge that he loved her.  The relationship in seasons 5-7 bear that out, not to mention the wonderful friendship that was shown. I loathed Jimmy from Day One, and how he ended up here, just bears that out. First impressions are lasting impressions, and he was the jerkwad that slept with Chloe, took her virginity and never called her back, until plot pointyness and he and she "found" each other in "Zod."

I wholly and respectfully disagree that Chloe should have been anything but a journalist. That's who and what she is, and has been since DAY ONE of this series, starting from her days on The Torch

Well, I'm just not one who ascribes to the theory of a job defining who you are. Plus, she was 14 when the show started, who says she can't want something different at 22? Being a reporter is a job that requires certain skills and interests Chloe has and that's what drew her to the profession in the first place. She likes to investigate and solve puzzles and help people. But that's not the only profession that uses those skills and interests. Perhaps letting go of her teenage fantasy job could lead her to find something else that's just as, if not more, fulfilling out there for her?

And it wasn't that Chloe thought Clark didn't need her or know that he didn't need her. She did know this, and he did need her and he's told her as much. It was that the BDA refused to see or acknowledge that he loved her. 

Oh, I think Clark acknowledges that he loves Chloe, just not the way Chloe wants him to love her. Personally, I've never felt like there was any kind of romantic love coming from Clark with regards to Chloe. I've only seen them as best friends. But then again, I'm not really a shipper so... . 

Well, I'm just not one who ascribes to the theory of a job defining who you are. Plus, she was 14 when the show started, who says she can't want something different at 22? Being a reporter is a job that requires certain skills and interests Chloe has and that's what drew her to the profession in the first place. She likes to investigate and solve puzzles and help people. But that's not the only profession that uses those skills and interests. Perhaps letting go of her teenage fantasy job could lead her to find something else that's just as, if not more, fulfilling out there for her?

Oh, I think Clark acknowledges that he loves Chloe, just not the way Chloe wants him to love her. Personally, I've never felt like there was any kind of romantic love coming from Clark with regards to Chloe. I've only seen them as best friends. But then again, I'm not really a shipper so... . 

But that is how Chloe felt. It was a calling for her, since she was little, not at 14. And it's always what she wanted to be and she worked at it, did the internships.  And there are some people, in tvland and in real life, who start off that way and do what they believe and work at to do what they feel they were meant to be, and that is what this show told and showed us what Chloe always wanted to be.

He may have said it, but his actions and the looks made a liar out of him. 

Edited by GHScorpiosRule

But that is how Chloe felt. It was a calling for her, since she was little, not at 14. And it's always what she wanted to be and she worked at it, did the internships.  And there are some people, in tvland and in real life, who start off that way and do what they believe and work at to do what they feel they were meant to be, and that is what this show told and showed us what Chloe always wanted to be.

Perhaps it was a calling, I just didn't see it as such. I think she had a calling to the weird and unexplained, myself. I really felt like Chloe started to come into her own when she was working with Oliver in S6. She was doing stuff separate from Clark and stuff she liked doing that had nothing to do with journalism. In fact, most of the stuff she investigated while she was at the Daily Planet she couldn't write about and it didn't seem to really bother her, IMO. Personally, I think she was really drawn to the puzzles and the mysteries more than she was ever drawn to reporting about them.

That's the thing, sometimes when we're young we think we have a calling, but as adults we realize that calling might not be exactly what we thought it was. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes it's good to step outside the tunnel and see what other roads are available. It's unfortunate the writers couldn't seem to do that with Chloe, though.

• Love 1

I guess that's kinda the point with Lois, she'll all talk and bravado, but rarely has the goods to back it up. Like I've said before, I don't mind her as a character, but she's totally incompetent, IMO.

Here's the thing, when I can separate SVLois from THE Lois, her character can at times amuse me.  I really enjoyed when they let Lois and Chloe be loving cousins - it was a believable relationship.  I also believed it when Lois and Clark snickered at the each other like the sibling like long lost siblings.  I bought that level of friendship and support, but the show NEVER gave me any reason to make me believe that Clark's feelings toward Lois had a reason to change or evolve, but that's getting off the topic I meant to address.  What I meant to say is that if Lois showed up on the show named Janie and wasn't being shoehorned into a DESTINY!  Then I would have found her tolerable. 

I guess I suffer from comic expectations. I am a big Lois Lane fan and THIS was not Lois Lane.  This Lois was all bluster and bravado without the chops to back it up but that's the very thing that defined Lois to me.  She was full of bravodo and was super confident about how great she was at her job and she HAD the chops to back everything up.  That's what made her awesome is she WAS awesome. 

This Lois lucked her way into everything and it was always Lois's grit and intelligence that I admired and that CLARK admired and loved.  In this show they just switched show runners again and had him wake up desperately in love with her.  I'm not kidding.  Season eight they have him considered her briefly at Chloe's wedding but then he decided not to date her.  Then there was the whole Lana is Kryptonite issue and in the back half of season eight Lois is not the person he is thinking about and yet In the opening of season nine ...there's a reason that it was widely reported that Tom Welling was confused about the sudden change in his character regards Lois.  So many light switches. 

To me it wasn't so much as Chloe giving up as much as the writers outright saying Chloe isn't going to ever become Lois--now that we have the rights to the actual Lois--so shut up about it. That's why I thought it was a sort of slap in the face

I'm pretty sure there are parts of the episode I have rage blocked from my memory.  Season eight was notorious for taking potshots directly at the fans. 

The funny thing is, I never really wanted Chloe to be Lois, per se; I always wanted Chloe to be Chloe.

Even when I was a believer in the Chlois Theory (Chloe is Lois) I never wanted her to change, just be acknowledged as Smallville's version.  The thing is, Chloe never stopped wanting to be a reporter.  It was taken from her and poisoned.  In season seven her cousin is promoted above her not because of skill or drive or even that she'd stumbled on a space ship - Chloe had done all of that, but she knew there was a greater good to be concerned about and instead of being allowed to be the one to tell the world, she because of her love and faith in Clark, became the one hiding the biggest stories in history.  And she's punished for it.  On top of that she was trying to cope with knowing she would be one of those front page stories if the truth came out and for a while she struggled to find a balance. 

And yet, she still wanted to be a reporter, she still wanted to work at the Planet and do the job she'd always loved and she was still the one getting the scopes and front page stories and the one that Lois was relying on for all her research (at least on Lex)  but then Lex stopped just making Chloe's work life harder via an Editor that wanted to pit cousin against cousin but stepped out of the shadows and made working at the Planet out right hell for her.  As she told Clark, they gutted the Planet of those with integrity and skill and left them so short staffed that she was constantly swamped and overwhelmed.  And still she didn't leave.  She didn't go until Lex unjustly fired her for non work related reasons. Cue being busy trying to get Clark to keep Lex from taking over the world. 

Then she gets saddled with Brainiac in her head pushing her to connect with Davis.  But the time they finally get him out of her head and finish up with the mess that was Chimmy, we find her finally with the chance to take a breath and look at her life and what is her unspoked wish?  That she was living the life that her cousin had been gifted right out from under her.  She still wanted those dreams.

She in the end refused her dreams of working as a reporter at the DP because the Planet was still in the clutches of Lex's minion and because she seemed to feel that there were bigger things at stake than just her personal dreams or wishes.  And honestly, I think the episode also played it as it would hurt her to see Clark partner with Lois and so she ran away to fully submerse herself in something she was great at yes, but it wasn't what gave her the same personal satisfaction.

IMO, Chloe doesn't need to be a reporter; there's plenty of things she could do and still be important to the story. I still think it'd be cool for Chloe to become a private detective. It would put her past investigative reporter skills to use coupled with her own inner desire to solve meteor-related puzzles, plus leave her open to help Clark and have a life that's her own. I don't know, like I said, I wanted to like it, but just didn't in the end.

In Thirst in season five we were reminded that to Chloe the best part of doing a story was the moment when others get to read it. She wasn't in it for the research or just the mystery, she wanted to put all the words together and wanted her words shared and read and to have impact.  And by becoming the eyes and ears (and lets be honest, brain) of Superheroes, she was forced to become invisible to the rest of the world and if she'd received IMO the proper appreciation, then I think it would be a different matter but yeah, I have big issues with where this plot line goes in nine.  I both loved it and hated it.  I'll stop talking about it though until you get there. 

Oh, I think Clark acknowledges that he loves Chloe, just not the way Chloe wants him to love her. Personally, I've never felt like there was any kind of romantic love coming from Clark with regards to Chloe. I've only seen them as best friends. But then again, I'm not really a shipper so...

Season five and the first half of season six convinced me otherwise.  Then in season seven when he was with Lana and there were no secrets it was still Chloe that he was turning to and the show was still making a point of comparing Chloe and Lana and making one CLark's weakness and one his champion and one that knew him and one that loved him best when he wasn't himself. 

They set the story up so that it would have only taken one scene of Clark being willing to admit he had feelings for Chloe like that still (since he admitted even to his parents that he did have those feelings in season four - just that he wasn't over Lana and again in season 6 that he'd thought about it) Then in season seven when he thought that Chloe was dead we saw Clark just fall apart and all his senses go haywire until he heard her voice.  Lana got tears but losing Chloe made him lose his mind. 

In any other show I would have 100% been positive that Clark and Chloe were being set up as a huge romantic pairing.  Even in season eight there was that hug when then found each other at the start and then Clark being upset that she was engaged to Jimmy and Chloe begging him to give her a reason to change her mind.  And Clark ends up risking the fate of the world to save her.  It would have been incredibly easy to have Clark show that he had non platonic feelings (since he admits to having thought about them that way since the first season).  

One of my many theories to explain Clark's choices includes it scaring him a little at how far and how much he is willing to risk to save Chloe.  Lana was off being poison so she's out and everything with Chloe is a huge deal since she's his best friend and best ally and she's already gone through so much for him and his secret.  Then there's Lois.  Silly, simple, easy to put in a box Lois.  It's easy keeping her separate from his real life and she's a big Blur cheerleader who doesn't know enough to call him on his crap.  I can see why he'd consider her if he was afraid of getting in too deep. 

• Love 1
(edited)

That's the thing, sometimes when we're young we think we have a calling, but as adults we realize that calling might not be exactly what we thought it was. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes it's good to step outside the tunnel and see what other roads are available. It's unfortunate the writers couldn't seem to do that with Chloe, though.

This conversation isn't really fair since more than season eight information is informing my viewpoint.  It's not unreasonable for someone to have one dream and then find a new one but there's stuff in season 9 and 10 that underlines my impressions of the earlier seasons. 

There is stuff that they do with Chloe in 9 and 10 that is incredible for her character to the point where I ended the series more certain of her hero status than Clark's but despite how great Chloe is at everything - I come back to what makes her happy.  Is she happy without her dreams of being a reporter?  What does she need in her life to feel like who she wants to be?  Seasons 1-8 made me believe that special thing was being a reporter. 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1
Chloe got a lot of grief for hiding Davis but honestly, what was the alternative?  Nothing could kill him and Clark had badly lost every fight against him.  I wish she would have confided in Clark about Davis but Clark was in his "I don't listen" stage at that point.  He bull rushed head first in ever situation without listening to anyone or taking heed of his own safety.  Something happens that Chloe gets even more flack for (you'll know it when you see it) but again, I couldn't blame her for stepping in since Clark was acting so incredibly reckless.  People often overlook that she probably saved Clark from throwing away his life, but I'll save my full comment for after you have seen it. 

Chloe definitely did some things in season 8 that some viewers gave her flack for. But when I think about Chloe doing the more "acceptable" thing in those situations, it always ended with Davis Dooming out and slaughtering somebody (Clark, a bunch of cops, random innocents) in a bloody massacre. So, under the circumstances, I was totally fine with her choosing to do "gray" things in the name of saving lives.

Then again, I love "gray" characters. (They are good guys/gals, but not afraid to do iffy things for good reasons.)

Well, I'm just not one who ascribes to the theory of a job defining who you are. Plus, she was 14 when the show started, who says she can't want something different at 22?

I think I'm with the others here. It's one thing for a character's dreams to change, and for them to want something different. But, in Chloe's case, it really did feel like, rather than deciding she wanted something new, the dream was taken away from her because the writers decided Lois should have it instead. The show even makes it clear that Chloe still wanted to be a reporter but couldn't, so was trying to find other ways to do what she was trying to do through reporting.

For fans of Chloe's, all of this made it hard not to resent the crap out of Lois on Chloe's behalf.

See, I think the show sprinkled hints that Clark had romantic feelings for Chloe from season one. A lot of the time, it felt like they were doing it just in case they actually wanted to go there. (Which is a pretty common thing for TV shows to do.) And there were a few times when it looked like they actually were going to go that direction before changing their minds and pulling back (which is also common). 

Basically, while it doesn't bother me that Chlark didn't happen, I wouldn't have been shocked if it had because there was plenty of ground work laid for it.

• Love 3

There is stuff that they do with Chloe in 9 and 10 that is incredible for her character to the point where I ended the series more certain of her hero status than Clark's but despite how great Chloe is at everything - I come back to what makes her happy.  Is she happy without her dreams of being a reporter?  What does she need in her life to feel like who she wants to be?  Seasons 1-8 made me believe that special thing was being a reporter. 

I started to say I was sorry I didn't see the Chloe you guys did; you guys are obviously very passionate about that Chloe. But, TBH, I'm glad to not have seen that Chloe. It makes me incredibly sad to think of Chloe as nothing unless she gets to be a reporter. To me, Chloe is more than a profession; she's, quite frankly, the heart and soul of the show. IMO, she's always been a hero which has nothing to do with her being a reporter or not. So, I'm sorry I can't wallow with you guys on this point.

My own disappointment concerning Chloe lays in that I don' think the show's ever going to allow her to be anything else than the girl who once was meant to be Lois Lane and Hex was an episode that highlighted that for me.

• Love 1
I started to say I was sorry I didn't see the Chloe you guys did; you guys are obviously very passionate about that Chloe. But, TBH, I'm glad to not have seen that Chloe. It makes me incredibly sad to think of Chloe as nothing unless she gets to be a reporter.

That's definitely not what it's about for me. I found Chloe an enjoyable and valuable character no matter what she was doing. And I can think of many professions where she would've kicked ass.

But when I really like a character, I want them to be happy. And that includes wanting them to follow and attain their dreams.

If Chloe had woken up one morning and thought, "I don't want to be a reporter anymore. I want to do this other thing," and I truly thought she'd be more happy doing the other thing, I wouldn't have had a problem with it. But, the way things played out left a bitter taste in my mouth because it felt like a character I liked was robbed of something she'd dreamed of, worked hard at and clearly still loved because the writers thought another character (who I didn't like nearly as much) should get to realize that dream instead. That's what made me dislike that whole situation. 

My own disappointment concerning Chloe lays in that I don' think the show's ever going to allow her to be anything else than the girl who once was meant to be Lois Lane

Yeah, I can see how folks not familiar with other versions of the characters saw Chloe as SV's version of Lois. But, actually, Chloe was much more like Lana from the comics. (And also the Lana from the Superboy TV series, who actually worked as an investigator.)

I always found it weird how they made another character on the show more like earlier versions of Lana Lang than SV!Lana was. It was like, when the show first started, they decided Lana should exist mostly to be a love interest, and couldn't do other, more interesting things. So they gave a lot of the more interesting parts of the Lana Lang character to Chloe.

As for me, I never wanted Chloe to be Lois. To me, any similarities had to do with them being related (because family members are often similar in some ways). But I never looked at Chloe and thought, "Wow, she's totally a young Lois Lane." To me, I always saw the pretty major difference between Chloe and the Lois Lane character.

Edited by Bitterswete

That's definitely not what it's about for me. I found Chloe an enjoyable and valuable character no matter what she was doing. And I can think of many professions where she would've kicked ass.

But when I really like a character, I want them to be happy. And that includes wanting them to follow and attain their dreams.

If Chloe had woken up one morning and thought, "I don't want to be a reporter anymore. I want to do this other thing," and I truly thought she'd be more happy doing the other thing, I wouldn't have had a problem with it. But, the way things played out left a bitter taste in my mouth because it felt like a character I liked was robbed of something she'd dreamed of, worked hard at and clearly still loved because the writers thought another character (who I didn't like nearly as much) should get to realize that dream instead. That's what made me dislike that whole situation.

Well said. This is the perspective of where I'm coming from as well.

But, actually, Chloe was much more like Lana from the comics. (And also the Lana from the Superboy TV series, who actually worked as an investigator.)

She might have been similar to the Lana on the Superboy TV series, I don't know since I couldn't stand that show and for as many iterations of the comics there were, I can't say there weren't similarities, but Chloe did not fit at ALL with the Lana that I'd been introduced to in other mediums. (Plus the show runners said over and over from the beginning they were not doing Superboy so Chloe wouldn't have been based on that Lana version.)

The uniting characteristic for Lana that I'd been exposed to was underhanded, sly and emotionally manipulative. There was a well known comic scene where she planted her panties in Clark's bed to mess up his relationship with Lois.

In Lois&Clark, we meet Lana in an alt world where Martha and Johnathan died in a car accident (I think) when Clark was young and he never met his worlds Lois since she went missing in the jungle. So only Lana knew his secret and she was awful to him about nobody being willing to love him if his secret came out so she'd berate him if he wanted to save people. And threaten to leave him.

My other experience with Lana was in the animated series where she'd align herself with Lex and try to insinuate things about her and Clark. Her character was more a corporate creature than investigator.

Oh and then there was Superman III. That Lana was a lot more SV Lana, just the cheerleader next door.

So yeah, I disagree that Chloe in Smallville was Lana like in my experiences.

Yeah, I can see how folks not familiar with other versions of the characters saw Chloe as SV's version of Lois. But, actually, Chloe was much more like Lana from the comics. (And also the Lana from the Superboy TV series, who actually worked as an investigator.)

I always found it weird how they made another character on the show more like earlier versions of Lana Lang than SV!Lana was. It was like, when the show first started, they decided Lana should exist mostly to be a love interest, and couldn't do other, more interesting things. So they gave a lot of the more interesting parts of the Lana Lang character to Chloe.

As for me, I never wanted Chloe to be Lois. To me, any similarities had to do with them being related (because family members are often similar in some ways). But I never looked at Chloe and thought, "Wow, she's totally a young Lois Lane." To me, I always saw the pretty major difference between Chloe and the Lois Lane character.

While watching the first season I thought it was interesting how they seemed to split who I thought Lana was traditionally into Chloe and Lana on the show. I'm not super-familiar with the comics, but I was under the impression Lana was the-girl-next-door-type who worked for the school paper investigating stuff and getting herself in trouble in the process. Which also led to her being one of the first people to learn Clark's secret--other than Martha and Jonathan, of course. She was an ally and the object of Clark's high school fantasies. I understood her to basically be an early Lois Lane. 

Personally, I never wanted Chloe to be Lois either, but I think the show set her up as a possibility to be Lois since they didn't have the rights to Lois from the get-go. And when Chloe started writing stories for the Daily Planet under the nom de plume of Lois Lane after Lionel got her blacklisted in S3, I thought they were pulling that trigger. But then they suddenly got the rights to Lois in S4 and that was no longer a possibility. Which I was fine with because I think Chloe was more interesting since she's that unknown who they could take to so many different places than they could with Lois. Unfortunately, the show hasn't yet done that. 

But, what I was more saying was that the writers never seemed to know what to do with Chloe once they got the rights to Lois. It seems like Chloe only worked at the Daily Planet and was a reporter until they were allowed to let Lois be a reporter and work at the Daily Planet. She's really become a plot device they run to every time they need some research or an info dump more than a character in her own right at this point.

Personally, I didn't see Chloe any happier when she was working for the Daily Planet than she's been running the Isis Foundation. She was always torn between her loyalty to keeping Clark's secret and doing the job properly to be truly successful. She'd always be the girl stuck in the basement writing City Council stories because she couldn't write the stories Lois could to land herself on the the front page. I think the only way she could've attained those dreams she had in high school is for her to have never learned about Clark's secret in the first place. That's the sacrifice she made in deciding to be Clark's friend instead of Clark's reporter. She knows what she gave up to be Clark's best friend and, IMO, she wouldn't change how it turned out for anything.

I'm just saying, I'm not wasting time lamenting on what could've been for Chloe, when I feel like she wouldn't herself--that's another reason Hex annoyed so much--I'm looking at what could be now and what she could do now. Just because she might not get a that dream of being a reporter doesn't mean she can't make a new dream and be just as happy, IMO.

Edited by DittyDotDot

She might have been similar to the Lana on the Superboy TV series, I don't know since I couldn't stand that show and for as many iterations of the comics there were, I can't say there weren't similarities, but Chloe did not fit at ALL with the Lana that I'd been introduced to in other mediums. (Plus the show runners said over and over from the beginning they were not doing Superboy so Chloe wouldn't have been based on that Lana version.)

The thing about comics is that there are different versions of just about everything, and trying to keep track can be a job in and of itself.

I think Chloe was more similar to some teen-aged versions of Lana from comics featuring a young Clark Kent where there was no Lois. That version of Lana often did the "looking into something and getting into trouble" thing. She was also a more assertive and proactive than SV!Lana (especially in early seasons) tended to be.  

And while I take anything the PTB say with a huge grain of salt, I don't mean the showrunners specifically based Chloe on any version of Lana. Just that I always thought Chloe was more like that Lana than Lana was. And that, for whatever reason, I just never saw Chloe as a young Lois. Except for the fact that they both wanted to be reporters, my mind always saw Chloe as a separate character who was just different from my vision of Lois in dozens of other ways.

The Fever letter was what made me really go there. Rereading it now even convinces me they originally intended to go the Chlois route. The law suit against Smallville got in the way of whatever the show runners original vision for the show was (which I had heard was why Lois was allowed on the show, to shore up their case that they weren't infringing on Superboy copyrights).

I can't help wonder that had they shown their hand early and revealed they actually had "Lois" on the show right from the start, if they might have actually won the lawsuit. Instead, they tried to find a place to put the extra Lois.

(edited)

Back in season three Chloe suggested to her editor to print her article using a pseudonym and what was that name? Lois Lane

But didn't she say even back then that was her cousin's name?

I will say, while I enjoyed season 8 overall (just barely), there was so much potential that was never lived up to, even moreso than season 7. Then again, I am a Smallville masochist, I made it through all 10 seasons while it was still airing.

Oh well. At least this season gave us Tess. Or, more accurately, it gave us Cassidy Freeman. Much like Chloe and Allison Mack, the actress in my eyes certainly did a much better job than the writing she was given.

Edited by AndySmith

Oh well. At least this season gave us Tess. Or, more accurately, it gave us Cassidy Freeman. Much like Chloe and Allison Mack, the actress in my eyes certainly did a much better job than the writing she was given.

I don't think they will ever be properly credited with how much they raised the material by their acting skill, but maybe the often terrible material forced them to dig deep and be a better actor.

In the case of Cassidy Freeman, I watched her over on Longmire and she does well enough but that is a well written show and she portrays her character in a way that works with the script but I think on Smallville there was so much that she and Allison did to make their characters MORE than the script.  To know, Tess and Chloe (and to a degree also Lex and Lionel) you had to both hear the lines and see all the nuances in their performance.  They often "said" more with the expressions flittering across their face or through their body language than by spitting out what was in the script.   

IMO Tess in season 8 has very little in common with Tess in season 10 but I enjoyed her too much to deeply care about the disconnect, lol.  I just was happy to have her on my screen. 

(edited)

From the season four thread:

I actually think it could've been interesting if Lana had a relationship with someone she was the pursuer and had to initially engage someone else who didn't already have feelings for her.

We never really got this but the closest IMO was after she left Clark at the end of season seven.  Later it was retconned that she didn't leave willingly but was forced to make the video, but she did quickly escape and it was her choice not to return until she did.  Technically she didn't return with the express purpose of hooking back up with Clark but she did IMO always intend to return and try to win Clark back since while she was a way, she decided the problem with their relationship was that she was weak and could be used against Clark.  And her solution was to remake herself even more.

She this time didn't just put on a mask, but purposely sought out to permanently change herself.  She's still not addressing what she needs and wants but is so sure that the solution to her relationship with Clark is to become basically his equal on a physical level, that she leaves to go train with the ultimate goal of getting Lex's supersuit so that Clark wouldn't have to save her anymore.  

She declares that getting the powers would let her do what she always wanted to do: help people, but when she left there were no reports back about her using hr power to help people and when she was around for the previous 7 years, nothing was stopping her from actually picking a passion and following through but instead she mouthed the words but never followed through with anything for long.

Isis was a front for her embezzled money and a place to stash her high tech computers to spy on Lex.  Actually following through with helping people, that fell to Chloe (Though Lana gets credit in the future which really annoyed me).  

When she was with Lex she said she wanted to pick a charity and help but she never did.  The early seasons she occasionally volunteered with blood drives or suicide hotlines or nursing homes but she was mostly one and done.  Same thing with trying to save the Kawatchee Caves.  Her passion to help people was as fickle as how she acted in relationships. Most of the show she was just caught up in her issues.

Save the Talon! Stay in Smallville! Get out of Smallville!  Oops, I'm possessed by a witch!  There are aliens, dangerous aliens! My boyfriend who stopped sleeping with me six months ago and who never open ups to me out of nowhere broke up with me  but Lex saved me!  Ooh!  Money and power gives you money and power!  I love Lex!  I hate Lex! I still hate Lex! I love Bizarro! Crap, I'm stuck with the real Clark.  I'm super strong and mentally tough enough to handle anything!  I can't bear to be this close to you and not be with you so goodbye forever!

Helping others was never a passion.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

Save the Talon! Stay in Smallville! Get out of Smallville!  Oops, I'm possessed by a witch!  There are aliens, dangerous aliens! My boyfriend who stopped sleeping with me six months ago and who never open ups to me out of nowhere broke up with me  but Lex saved me!  Ooh!  Money and power gives you money and power!  I love Lex!  I hate Lex! I still hate Lex! I love Bizarro! Crap, I'm stuck with the real Clark.  I'm super strong and mentally tough enough to handle anything!  I can't bear to be this close to you and not be with you so goodbye forever!

Helping others was never a passion.  

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Perfect description of the Pink Pestilence.

?????????

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1

Somebody tell me again, why this stupid, fucking AI of Clark's birth father, continues to strip Clark of his powers? Real Jor-El even came up with the means for humans to control him, and ultimately Lex got it and did it. And that's Clark's fault, how?

And I'm gnashing my teeth again over how J'onn Jones is somehow a peon of Jor-El and that saving Clark in "Odyssey" stripped him of his powers. Why he had to follow Jor-El's idiotic rules when Jor-El was dead, I'll never understand. Especially when he thought and knew they were wrong and hurting Clark.

And hello Rain drenched Clark in the tight gray t-shirt!

And we're back to the show, or rather Tom Welling showing me and telling me by his expressive eyes, tone and words, that Clark is in love with Chloe. Like when Davis accidentally lets it slip she's engaged to that petulant, whiny insecure needy Jimmy/Henry.

And SHADDUP writers, penning the line that Clark never knew how intense/strong Chloe's feelings were for him, when he learns of the letter and reads it. Of COURSE he knew how she felt. And the look he gives her at the end? And his "We're more than just good friends, Chloe." DAMN STRAIGHT. And Chloe. Chloe, Chloe, Chloe. She was saying the words about how "perfect" Jimmy/Henry was (ME: GAG!!) after loving Clark "prepared her" to love the "perfect person," but her eyes and tone were saying the opposite to me.

I did enjoy Chloe telling Jimmy/Henry that his insecurity over Clark was getting wearisome. And whiny boyfriend? She didn't say those words to you because you two don't have the kind of relationship that she and Clark had, even as friends back in high school, so just SHUT IT.

I can't bear to watch any scenes with Clark and Lois at the Daily Planet because I can't contain my rage. These are the same writers that were around and gave Lois no experience or background or any fucking skills as a journalist, to be hired as one, thus stomping over her cousin, and sleeping with her boss.  And this season, she's being touted as some great investigative journalist, who Clark has to take lessons from? Setting aside that fact that both are college dropouts, and that Clark shouldn't have been able to get hired, because, PLOT! Clark had way more experience as a journalist from his days at the Torch, even though they were sporadic. Plus, he didn't even have to apply. All he had to do was call Perry White, who told him that if he was serious, to call him and he'd help him out.

• Love 1
(edited)
30 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Somebody tell me again, why this stupid, fucking AI of Clark's birth father, continues to strip Clark of his powers? Real Jor-El even came up with the means for humans to control him, and ultimately Lex got it and did it. And that's Clark's fault, how?

I long ago decided that Jor-El's AI was corrupted.  It's the only explanation.  Sometimes you get good Jor-El, sometimes you get the insane monster.  

And I'm gnashing my teeth again over how J'onn Jones is somehow a peon of Jor-El and that saving Clark in "Odyssey" stripped him of his powers. Why he had to follow Jor-El's idiotic rules when Jor-El was dead, I'll never understand.

Wait, I was pretty sure that J'onn actually lost his powers when he flew CLark too close to the sun.  The direct exposure to sunlight fixed CLark but had the opposite effect on J'onn.  

And hello Rain drenched Clark in the tight gray t-shirt!

Worth a second mention.  And illustration.  

19499887514da548712e7a1bbc7e01fa.jpg

And Chloe. Chloe, Chloe, Chloe. She was saying the words about how "perfect" Jimmy/Henry was (ME: GAG!!) after loving Clark "prepared her" to love the "perfect person," but her eyes and tone were saying the opposite to me.

She had Brainiac in her head.  He actively interfered with her actions giving her blackout periods and pretty much set her up to get taken to the Fortress so he could infiltrate.  I absolutely will blame the evil computer in her head controlling her for some of the more WTF choices and statements she made about Jimmy in season eight.  It served Brainiac's program to have her with Jimmy to cause Davis jealousy in a way that wouldn't have worked if she'd dumped him and turned to Clark.  Brainiac needed to keep the relationships in a specific balance until the right time.  I mean, even Brainiac knew that the ONE person Clark would never be able to hurt was Chloe (over Lana mind you- Brainiac had the chance to control her too) .  It's actually one of my theories as to why Clark ran away from Chloe, because he was scared of just how much she did matter to him.  (Or better yet, Jor-El's AI messed with his brain after realizing it too)

He risked the world to save her.  How is that not the most epic of romances? 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 11/20/2015 at 3:59 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

No. You had a one night stand with her, where you took her virginity and never called her back, and it wasn't until after "Zod" like over a year later that you bumped into her. Didn't bother to call or look her up.

Actually, wasn't Jimmy was during her internship between season 1 and 2? So he didn't bother to call or look her up until. five years later.  

Edited by BkWurm1