Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: Eidolon

Eidolon (είδωλον) has a few meanings in Greek.

Idol.

Image.

Reflection.
fetish.

and probably a couple more in ancient greek since it is has roots there, but its been sometime since I studied ancient greek and I dont recall anything :D

• Love 1

Well, those of you who said that the Red Ridge murder scene was a fast forward got it right. I got that one wrong.

I thought that this was a slow boring episode.  Sonya clearly learned to be a bad cop from Hank. She waits until she gets to Red Ridge to call for back up and does not bother to get back up even as she gets a lead from Jaime about where Eleanor might be with Hank. Typical stupid for this show.

I wonder if Marco really means it about getting Fausto. Marco talks the talks, but he has always seemed reluctant to get involved in any plot that takes down Fausto, although he clearly wants to stop him from killing people.

Looks like Cesar got away. He better hope Hank dies before identifying him or he will be locked up forever away from his family.

Edited by SimoneS

Hank.  Damn.  I whine when I get a splinter.

Simone, I was bothered about her not calling for backup until they got to the house, but I think the idea was that she wasn't sure if that's where Hank and the DEA had gone until she saw the bullet holes in the door.  But I liked the episode and like the show, so I'm probably a bit more forgiving/forgetful.

I'm guessing this is discussed in another thread, but with every episode this season, it becomes clear that they decided to downplay Sonya's autism/Asperger's. Agree or disagree about *how* DK played it last year, she's clearly not doing nearly as much this year.  I have mixed feelings about this: I'm fine with Sonya as a neurotypical character who's messed up because of her sister's death -- but I wonder if the producers/writers just couldn't cope (or didn't trust the audience to cope) with someone who thinks and relates differently.

I was pretty tense for most of the hour, willing anyone to save Hank.  He had better not succumb now.

ETA: I wasn't pretty tense.  I was crazy, talking-to-the-screen tense, even after they'd stopped Eleanor's car.  Loved the staying-upright contest between Eleanor and Sonya at the end.

Edited by mrsdalgliesh
  • Love 3

Glad Hank was rescued, and I hope he pulls through, even if it would be totally unrealistic.  I mean, he got shot, dragged his body a decent distant, got operated on, got adrenaline put in him when he shouldn't have, had a crazy woman stick her finger in his recent wound, and was just in the backseat of a car wreck?!  That's a lot to take, and I suspect the only people who could make it out of that are those played by actors in the main credits!

Ha, I know he isn't a good guy, but I loved Cesar running for the hills, as soon as they car wrecked happen.  Just flat-out "Nope!  Not staying around for this!  Peace, fuckers!"  I really would find it hilarious if he kept dodging these bullets, but I have to think his luck will run out soon.  Maybe he and his family just need to team up with Ray, and head to Alaska!

Of course, Lyle Lovett has an extra hat in his trunk.  Just in case of emergencies!

Eleanor must have really been wounded, if she would in-trust Jaime to dispose of the bodies.  If anyone could screw up that little task, it would be him.  It looks like her reign of terror has been put on hold finally, but I have a feeling this isn't the last of her.

Fausto has pretty much dropped the gauntlet now.  Kidnapping Sebastian's daughter?  Yep, I don't see this not ending in bloodshed for someone.  Of course, the CIA is still after him as well, so the walls might be closing in.  And Daniel and Adriana might be watching from the sidelines!

Sonya and Marco finally got to team up again!  And, all it took was putting Hank's life in peril!

• Love 1
"Nope!  Not staying around for this!  Peace, fuckers!"

Yep.  By the way, Sonya, if you're going to use the PIT maneuver on the bad guys, it's best if you hit them in the side, rather than the other way around.  Just a thought.

Eleanor didn't have any room to move on the body disposal.  Jaime was the only available person, as Cesar had to go look for the ledger, and she was definitely short of other friends about that point. 

I thought for sure they were going to go the way of S1 with the frantic rush to save Hank, only to be just too late.  Good thing they didn't.  I like Hank.

I was wondering about Lyle's hat, too.  That looked like a very expensive Stetson, and in Ep. 1 the first thing I thought was What are you going to do with that now?

On a side note, if anyone wants to visit "Red Ridge", it's located in Fillmore, CA, on Hwy 126.  The green bridge, which caught my eye right off the bat, is the old Hwy 23 bridge over the Santa Clara River and can be seen from the highway.  River and Mountain View is an intersection in a new development.  I hope they really cleaned up that house.

• Love 1
Of course, Lyle Lovett has an extra hat in his trunk.  Just in case of emergencies!

And he had his special hat box in the trunk! I like that this is a Texas man who is prepared for all situations.

Poor Jaime. I knew that Marco would make him cry! The very brief scene of the family in the car behind the truck going about their day and then having blood splattered on their windshield reminded me of the cold opens on Bones.

Loved that Hank refused to admit he knew where the ledger was. I knew he was tough, but damn. I'm glad he managed to hide it before Cesar found him.

I laughed when Cesar just ran off after the car crash. There was no point in staying because he couldn't save Eleanor, and he really wanted nothing to do with her plan to torture Hank's wife. I feel like he and Jaime got the short end of the stick. I know Cesar was no angel, but still. It was one thing to work for Charlotte's husband moving things in the tunnels and another thing to be told, "Come on, we are going to torture this guy's wife until he tells us where the ledger is. If you don't like it, I'll torture your kids too!"

Part of me likes that Eleanor had total faith in Jaime. When he hadn't shown up yet and the others started worrying, she dismissed their concern and said, "He will be here." But the other part of me is sad because it was more that she had trained him to be a loyal and obedient dog. I hope they are able to cut a deal for Jaime because he would not do well in prison.

At least now we know what really happened to that guy in the car. Eleanor wasn't kidding - he was very inappropriate!

• Love 1

Hank may be tough, but man is he stupid.

Eleanor is hellbent on getting the truth out of you before you die, Hank. Did you really think that saying, "You know you won't get the truth out of me, so you might as well kill me" would work? Are you at all surprised that they decided to try a different tactic?

Although Hank has been battling logic all season long, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Hank thought that someone would eventually find the ledger, maybe by the forensic team near the house and maybe he was willing to die for that.

Yeah I don't see him ending up well after that car crash if Eleanor collapsed, imagine him...

Did anyone see anything even resembling an air bag?  Maybe I missed it in all the confusion after the crash.

Hank knew that the only thing keeping him alive was knowing where the ledger was hidden.  If he spilled the beans, he would have been of no use.  At least that's how I explained it to myself.

Edited by Auntie Anxiety
  • Love 1

I think I liked that we didn't actually see Hank hide the ledger. He was dragging it along in one scene and then when we saw him try to call over to the utility worker, it wasn't visible. So he must have stashed it in some construction materials. Too big to tuck in his pocket ;-)

The bit with the family in the car was good. I momentarily wondered if it was a car commercial until I saw the focus on the truck and then the blood.

Yep.  By the way, Sonya, if you're going to use the PIT maneuver on the bad guys, it's best if you hit them in the side, rather than the other way around.  Just a thought.

Maybe I'm misremembering. I thought that she did hit them in the side. I remember thinking, "Ack! I hope she didn't just brain Hank!

Auntie Anxiety, pretty sure I saw an airbag for Sonya at least. And I was glad she made Marco put on his seatbelt!

• Love 1
Of course, Lyle Lovett has an extra hat in his trunk.  Just in case of emergencies!

And he had his special hat box in the trunk! I like that this is a Texas man who is prepared for all situations.

He also switched from a white hat (rescuing Eleanor) to a black one (time to be a badass).

The bit with the family in the car was good.

I liked that, too.

I was a little surprised we saw how Eleanor's first helper was killed. I thought it was unnecessary: It was pretty obvious to me the first time that she did it. He'd been annoying her from the get-go, starting with crossing the border right behind her instead of separately.

I laughed every time we saw Sonya driving her dusty car like a bat out of hell. For some reason, that really tickled me.

I was a little surprised we saw how Eleanor's first helper was killed. I thought it was unnecessary: It was pretty obvious to me the first time that she did it. He'd been annoying her from the get-go, starting with crossing the border right behind her instead of separately.

I was expecting some revelation in that flashback like that she hadn't killed him because he was being inappropriate physically, but because he'd discovered something specific in the ledger, but it went pretty much as we thought it had. The only part that was worth seeing out of that whole segment was that clerk gamely trying to get Eleanor to take the better deal on the energy drinks.

• Love 1

Great episode.
All those little moments, like Lyle-Lawyer's hats, Marco's mourning for Charlotte, the Mob Doc, that family in the car ( I also thought for a moment that was a commercial lol), Coop not liking Fray.
Loved Marco and Sonya working together and figuring out about Fausto and the Creepy-CEO.

FX renew it already! 

Edited by Zaffy
  • Love 1
Did anyone see anything even resembling an air bag?  Maybe I missed it in all the confusion after the crash.

Heh, I look for things like that also. Multiple airbags were deployed. Sonya had the steering wheel one deploy. I didn't see one in front of Marco. The side curtain ones deployed for both driver and rear on Elanor's car.

I didn't recognize the doctor as David Wallace from The Office -- so scruffy! 

I didn't need to see the flashback with Eleanor.  The impact is lessened when we know what's going to happen.  I suppose it cleared up any doubts about whether Eleanor killed him because of her code, since we hadn't seen him being inappropriate.  But even if he hadn't groped her, I think she would have killed him for looking at the ledger. 

So, two for $5 and one for $3.25?  Once Eleanor's made up her mind, there's no changing it.

but because he'd discovered something specific in the ledger

He did discover something specific in the ledger. He said that he noticed she'd been skimming, moving a decimal point here and there. I assume this was not Eleanor stealing for herself but the accounting tricks used to launder money for CIA use. When the guy then tried to blackmail her into having sex with him for his silence--well, we saw how that worked out for him.

You're right, Cardie.  Was that indicated explicitly previously or just implied by her fierce protection of the books and I think one conversation with Sebastian? I felt like I already knew that, but maybe I just wasn't surprised.

Edited by lulee

It's only been implied but pretty strongly. The flashback let us know that the henchman-- always blank on his name--had found out. This makes Eleanor appear less crazy, since she didn't off him just for inappropriate touching.

• Love 1

I think the writers tried to mislead the viewer with the opening scene this season.  In the original, when Lyle Lovett character walks in, Eleanor is shown to be up at the top of the staircase with a large knife.  In this most recent one, we don't see that.  He doesn't seem to see her until he goes upstairs after making the phone call.  Why did the wounded all venture to the second floor?  This would only increase their bleeding. Plus, the notary girl would have dropped dead on the staircase,  but she was dead in the hallway, so they must have carried her up the stairs. More work for injured people.   For what reason?  

Hank's crawling left an easy to see trail for Marco and Sonja to follow, but Cesar had trouble with it. Why?

Would Jamie really have been able to read the address written on his hands in order to meet Eleanor there?  That was pretty risky.  With Jamie's limitations, it was likely he would be picked up by authorities.  

Still, I loved the episode.  It almost felt like a finale.  And why did I root for Eleanor to escape and that Sonja not catch her?  Am I crazy?  I guess I dislike Sonja more than I thought.  lol

Were they CIA agents who went into the bar and grill and had the conversation about Fausto being replaced?  Adrianna and Daniel were watching.  They spoke loud enough for everyone there to overhear. lol  

• Love 2

Sheesh, now all Hank needs is for the ambulance they'll put him in to have an accident on the way to the hospital.

When Eleanor is told to get down on the ground she sure takes it seriously, doesn't she?  Whump!

I loved the way Sonya just plowed into that car.  She was going to get Hank back dead or alive, even if she was the one who actually killed him.  heh

Poor Jaime.  He just stops to have a little lunch and the world ends.

Cesar enters the Desert Marathon.

Daniel:  "She looks like a boss to me."

What a great episode.

• Love 2

Would Jamie really have been able to read the address written on his hands in order to meet Eleanor there?  That was pretty risky.  With Jamie's limitations, it was likely he would be picked up by authorities.  

I wondered about that too.  Can Jaime read?  I was surprised he could drive.  Clever, though.

The bit with the family in the car was good. I momentarily wondered if it was a car commercial until I saw the focus on the truck and then the blood.

I thought it was the best scene of the episode. As surreal as it was, it was the most realistic moment to me also. They were rushed for time so they were unable to wrap up the bodies properly before putting them in the truck so of course, the blood leaked up and splattered on the car behind it.

I think the writers tried to mislead the viewer with the opening scene this season.  In the original, when Lyle Lovett character walks in, Eleanor is shown to be up at the top of the staircase with a large knife.  In this most recent one, we don't see that.  He doesn't seem to see her until he goes upstairs after making the phone call.  Why did the wounded all venture to the second floor?  This would only increase their bleeding. Plus, the notary girl would have dropped dead on the staircase,  but she was dead in the hallway, so they must have carried her up the stairs. More work for injured people.   For what reason?  

I agree. This is exactly why I did not think that it was the same scene after watching the murders occur last week. No one died upstairs so why was Eleanor (and in this episode, Cesar and Jaime) up there when the Lyle Lowett's character arrived?  It made absolutely no sense.The writers would be better off focusing on writing tighter stories than trying to offer up not so clever plot twists. 

Edited by SimoneS

IIRC the previous scene of Lyle and Eleanor showed him seeing her from a different angle (I think he was downstairs and he saw her lying upstairs through the banister?) and she was laughing. But he definitely saw the bloody Chip cardboard cutout in the original so does that mean there will be another bloody slaughter in another of Chip's houses?

I thought it was the best scene of the episode. As surreal as it was, it was the most realistic moment to me also. They were rushed for time so they were unable to wrap up the bodies properly before putting them in the truck so of course, the blood leaked up and splattered on the car behind it.

I agree. This is exactly why I did not think that it was the same scene after watching the murders occur last week. No one died upstairs so why was Eleanor (and in this episode, Cesar and Jaime) up there when the Lyle Lowett's character arrived?  It made absolutely no sense.The writers would be better off focusing on writing tighter stories than trying to offer up not so clever plot twists. 

The Creator  said at the beginning  Eleanor was supposed to  be only for a  few episodes. Then they  liked her and she stayed for many more.

So I can only guess when they filmed the scene they had something else in their minds? Thats why we saw a different one now?

Btw, they do mistakes like this in Bridge, I guess it is law budget and they dont pay someone to save them from goofs (or they can only afford someone with the skills of Jaime, hee hee ).

I was watching this  episode with a friend. In that scene where Sonya is putting her socks and shoes on, well we are pretty much sure she left the house without shoes and only with one sock on :D

Edited by Zaffy

Yeah Ian's bad American is similar what he did on Courtney Cox's show (forgot the name)

I wondered who you guys meant so went to Ian Hart's IMDB page and he's listed as David Tate on The Bridge.   He was the guy in the coffee shop, though, right?  

So the murder scene in the first episode was a flashforward! Good to know, but I don't know why they had to keep it a mystery for so long. Anyways, this was a great episode. I loved how focused Sonja was on rescuing Hank and how distressed she was at the thought of losing him. Reconciliation scene next week, please and thank you!

This is how you put an important character in danger and keep the tension, not that travesty from last week.

I can't wait for the confrontation between Eleanor and Sonja!

Maybe I expect too much from technical advisors on shows like this, but would a corpse really keep bleeding after the heart stops beating?  Probably not.  Most of the bodies left their blood in the house.  So, the huge amount of blood that leaked from the van was just a good story line I guess.  lol  I wonder what will be happen to Jamie.

I wonder who they had considered as replacement for Fausto.  Could Cesar fit the bill?  He's certainly worked in the trenches and knows he way around.  

Does Fausto still have the power to control things in prison?  Can he have Eleanor escape or killed inside?

Marco's brain was racing about when he saw Charlotte's body.  I really hope we get to see Ray's reaction to this news.

I must be late with this news.  I just realized that the actor playing Marco is the brother to the actor playing Sabastian.  I just love it. Both are so good.

Edited by SunnyBeBe

I wondered who you guys meant so went to Ian Hart's IMDB page and he's listed as David Tate on The Bridge. He was the guy in the coffee shop, though, right?

i wish imdb were more reliable. Eric Lange played Kenneth Hastings/ David Tate. Hart is the CIA agent, but I don't know his name. I know he was "man in car" for his first episode.

Marco's brain was racing about when he saw Charlotte's body. I really hope we get to see Ray's reaction to this news.

i really liked that they showed Marco with that moment of remorse, knowing he might have been able to help Charlotte months ago but chose to look away. He's been trying to convince Sonya of the deep connections between EP and CJ and this was a time he chose not act on it. Not that he necessarily could have saved Charlotte.

Cesar's trajectory has been interesting. He has been ruled by pragmatism and self preservation (and presumably family preservation), but he's amassed a much higher body count than last year (iirc, last year he only killed the tunnel matron.).

I look forward to a scene between Marco and Sebastian.

Edited by lulee
  • Love 1

What has been done to Sebastian's daughter?  Didn't Fausto refer to a tape they had made? Was it of her being assaulted or just one of her pleading to be rescued?  Did you see the look of evil and rage in Fausto's eyes when he was in the car looking at her? OMG, it freaked me out.  It scared me and I know it's just acting. Those were some evil looking eyes....full of rage.  

• Love 1

What has been done to Sebastian's daughter?  Didn't Fausto refer to a tape they had made? Was it of her being assaulted or just one of her pleading to be rescued?  Did you see the look of evil and rage in Fausto's eyes when he was in the car looking at her? OMG, it freaked me out.  It scared me and I know it's just acting. Those were some evil looking eyes....full of rage.  

That actor does have some creepy eyes, and the little black tumors under the one don't help.  I just saw an ep of Orange Is The New Black where he was a barrio creep, too.  He's even creepier without the ball cap.  

I probably shouldn't answer the question about the tape because I'm not sure I even finished watching the ep, but when he said that I assumed he was just going to make a video of her to show Sebastian they had her.  And we were left to wonder how sadistic it'd be.  

Edited by Guest

Blood would probably not gush out of the truck as shown but it certainly would seep and there would be quite a lot of it with all those bodies. There's a reason they hang animal carcasses up on hooks in slaughterhouses to drain before they are butchered.

Jaime would not be arrested, I think, because he lacks the mental capacity to form criminal intent. Even if arrested, I can't imagine him being found competent to stand trial and assist in his own defense. The state might arrange for him to be put in a halfway house so he could be supervised and kept from being manipulated by any other unsavory people.

Perhaps the young gun who stole the cocaine from Ray during the great bicycle raid could get his shot at being the new Fausto. If not, I'm sure there are many aspiring cartel bosses Sebastian and the CIA can install to keep their operations going.

According to Ian Hart's character, there are four top men in the cartel angling for Fausto's spot. I don't see how Cesar could possibly rise to the top, unless all of the cartel honchos are killed or go to jail.

I think they were mentioned by name, but I didn't catch them all. I think Cerisola was one of them.

But Cesar would never be "boss" material. He's been isolated to doing small logistical and muscle jobs, not part of the cartel organization's inner circle.

Edited by lulee

Maybe Cesar isn't boss material, but Fausto doesn't seem to be that refined either.

i don't think it's a matter of refinement. Rather, Cesar has not been shown as climbing the ranks or becoming a player in the cartel as a massive organization. It would be like a shift worker at a neighborhood McDonald's becoming CEO.
  • Love 1