Type keyword(s) to search

Masterchef (CA) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Yay for my girl Line! I was afraid she and Cody would end up killing each other, but they were amazing together! It made me like Cody for the very first time.

I didn't like Jennifer but I was still sorry she had to go. She really did try so hard. And I do feel like the whole thing has been biased towards David since the beginning, as much as I do like him.

• Love 3

I don't have strong feelings about David either way, which makes it a little boring for me that he's emerging as the frontrunner. Cody seems kind of Tom Cruisish to me -- like, when a camera's pointed at him, he's always trying way too hard to make a good impression. He's probably a nice person, but it comes across as insincere.

• Love 3

Cody reminds me of Christian Bale in "American Psycho" - I'm not saying he's a psycho, I just mean the perfect glossy exterior. And I'm pretty sure Bale said his portrayal was inspired by Tom Cruise. So: I agree!

I usually like Sabrina, but she was really super-smug last night. Now I get what other posters were saying.

• Love 1

The "strategy" of picking the hardest thing for everybody isn't really a strategy! This always bugs me on Masterchef. Line should have picked the hardest thing for whoever she wanted out the most, and then made the easiest choice for the other three! Or maybe two and two.

I suppose making things hard for everyone will eat up their energy and morale, while she rests upstairs, but still.

I like the premise of the challenge. Inspiration from a piece of equipment rather than an ingredient. I love my pressure cooker!

Gah! I thought they'd finally get rid of Cody tonight. The guy's already been cut once and screws something up every week and he's still there while some other good cooks have gone home. The guy must have horseshoes up his ass because he's not that great a chef.

• Love 4

I need Sabrina to eat humble pie and not just go out, but fall flat on her face in spectacular fashion. Her boyfriend seems like cut from her nasty cloth as he glared at David's family celebrating David's win.

• Love 3

I wanted Sabrina or Cody to leave, so, of course, they are still here. Oh well. I did like that Line nailed exactly what Cody would do wrong (overthink/use too many ingredients).

• Love 1

Sabrina never bothered me (much). I liked her and her confidence more than Line's 'I'm just a poor little French girl, a single mom, ex military, yada yada yada. Have I pulled on enough of your heart strings yet? Is my woe is me story working?' At least David got to the finals based on his efforts and his product and I sure hope he wins.

Very happy to see David win. He deserved it as he's by far been the best chef all through the season. I thought the editing monkeys really went overboard in their fawning over Line but that just made me more confident that David was going to win and that they were trying everything to make it seem close. Hope David can use the $100,000 and realize his dream of opening a restaurant.

• Love 1

Line's appetizer looked amazing. That foie gras with the caramelized edges... mmmmm.... Plus the beautiful poppy seed cracker. That enchanted forest potato thing she made for the main was ridiculous though. It didn't look like anything, just hard to eat. Wait, that's not true! It looked like a Stargate!

I've never had geoduck, and now I kind of want to try it.

This show has aired in its completion in Canada but is just beginning to air in the U.S. on Oct. 13 on the Cooking Channel.

To our Canadian friends: we love you. And if you've already seen this season, please don't post in this thread. Many thanks!

I'm repurposing this thread, which initially said something about naming the Canadian provinces and seemed unnecessarily vague.

After a recent trip to Nova Scotia, I'm surprised more Canadian food hasn't migrated south, quite frankly. We recently had a Donair pizza, for example. That should be popular on this side of the border.

We thought Tim Horton's coffee was way, way, way over-rated, btw. But the Chocolate Chill was the best milkshake-type drink I've ever had in my entire life. A friend in Toronto said that her other U.S. friends have had a similar preference for Tim's cold drinks.

And despite my snarky thread title, we thought that poutine was the best bar food ever! 

• Love 2

I forgot how much I missed seeing the auditions until watching them on this version tonight. The good, the goofy, the scary!

I was really impressed with the woman who is raising 6 kids with food she grows and meat she kills by herself. I can't even begin to imagine killing an elk, skinning it, gutting it, and preserving all the meat. Whew.... more power to her!

Pretty much everything in Tim Horton's is over-rated.  They used to be good about 20 years ago, but not anymore.

Thanks for that. When we had it we were like "okay, so it's coffee." We really did like the Chocolate Chill, though. And the omnipresence of Tim's was a plus on a road trip. If we needed to get out of the car and stretch our legs, we'd pull in at a Tim's. If we needed to look at the map together, we'd pull in at a Tim's. Etc. 

Is this like the Stuckey's of the north or something?

Yes and no. They're all over the place like Stuckey's, but they're straight food service and better quality (IMO). I think the closest analogue stateside would be Dunkin' Donuts. 

It takes me awhile to learn names and backstories, but I liked most of the contestants, and loved the Canadian flag of food! When I saw the preview, I thought I'd like the woman who said she wanted a grilled cheese food truck, as I frequent a local one (Roxy's, I will see you Monday!). Then when she was making her blueberry pie, I wanted to throttle her. Even making allowances for nerves, she was too much. I did like the gentle but pointed way the judges suggested she tone it down.

I want more Evil Alvin, but they seem to have softened him up for the second season, no longer referring to him as whatever they did the first time, was it "Demon chef"? I never liked Joe as the asshole on the US franchise, but Alvin somehow seems more entitled to issue merciless, condescending putdowns.

Edited by Totale

I was in Canada a fair amount in college (shows in Montreal and hangout trips there, mostly) and I have fine memories of drunken Poutine but I'm not going to dig up the cheese curds and whatnot and try it for myself.  I won't be drunk, for one thing.  I tried a Trader Joe's frozen package and was eh.  A cult on another board I read was all excited that "All Dressed" Ruffles brand chips, popular in Canada, were to get limited distribution here.  I don't go for flavored chips myself that much but it brought up this link of Lay's flavors worldwide.

http://nowthatsnifty.blogspot.com/2012/01/204-lays-potato-chip-flavors-from.html

They make poutine chips for Canada, too, so bring 'em on.

• Love 1

The fakeouts kept things interesting... never knowing which way the judges were headed next. I'm glad John made it at the last minute, he sort of reminds me of Nick from the U.S. version, without the hat.

I hope I'm A Pretty Boy with the helmet hair is gone soon. The loud lady who reminds me of a NJ Housewife can go with him.

Now on to the second episode....

OMG, I just found this tonight surfing, on the Cooking Channel.  I love this show!  Is there anywhere I could find the audition shows etc. I missed?

For the Asian challenge, I would make my sure-fire Thai Basil beef,using flank steak.

Loud lady who looks and sounds Exactly like a NJ housewife--why is she in Canada? I've looked into moving to Canada and it is very difficult for Americans.

Edited by susannot

They might rerun them, at some weird time of day or night.

Why did they have the Philadelphia Cream Cheese logo blurred out when the guy clearly announced the brand name of it? I guess they weren't a sponsor here on Cooking Channel, I wasn't watching commercials.

I'm sorry but Debbie who didn't grease or line her little springform pan doesn't know what she's doing. It was right they let her go. But Kevin with his fancy dessert...and then that piece of paper....bless his heart. Funny they picked three desserts to try.

Poor Kyle in the last round. Man, the Asian judge ripped him a new one. If he hates your food, there's no beating around the bush. His dish looked like he'd slapped some boloney on top, so wasn't surprised to see him leave. Plus this was the first I really remember him with any THs.

Who's the invisible Asian kid in the back wearing glasses? They didn't taste his dish, and I've not heard a word out of him. I guess if he does start talking we'll know he's going home.

OMG, I just found this tonight surfing, on the Cooking Channel.  I love this show!  Is there anywhere I could find the audition shows etc. I missed?

For the Asian challenge, I would make my sure-fire Thai Basil beef,using flank steak.

Loud lady who looks and sounds Exactly like a NJ housewife--why is she in Canada? I've looked into moving to Canada and it is very difficult for Americans.

I think you're talking about Line who is Canadian.

These Canadians are hard core.  9 eliminations in the audition round and a double elimination with the first full challenge. 

I think you're talking about Line who is Canadian.

I think she sounds like Sarah Palin, which is not an enjoyable comparison.  I don't like her or the smug dude with the mustache, Michael.  I wish neither of them had gotten through the preliminaries. 

Years ago, Tim's was good. They did all their baking in restaurant, which limited their locations (needed to have a late night bake staff) but the product was a lot better. Hell I remember when they had cakes, and used to love their eclairs and bowties. 

Now, they discovered par-baking, so everything is made in a bakery in Toronto and frozen and shipped out to 10x the restaurants they had, where someone tosses them in a hotbox to finish them off. It just isn't the same. :(

On the other hand, I'm a Maritimer so I'm biased, but Donairs are da-bomb. One of the best things to come out of Halifax, and it's a wonder they haven't really spread further. If you're ever in Atlantic Canada, be sure to find some. There's a reason why Every Last Restaurant has SOMETHING Donair related on its menu out here; even the big chain restaurants. Ok, ok, not every restaurant; but every last Pizza place HAS to have Donair stuff. I think it's an unwritten law. :) 

• Love 1

I don't know why, but I really like Michael - he's just such an interesting character, he likes the pretty.  I wouldn't want to hang out with him (or eat his food, necessarily), but he is the one who seems most interesting to me.  Of course, this is probably the kiss of death for the poor guy.

These Canadians are hard core.  9 eliminations in the audition round and a double elimination with the first full challenge. 

I think she sounds like Sarah Palin, which is not an enjoyable comparison.  I don't like her or the smug dude with the mustache, Michael.  I wish neither of them had gotten through the preliminaries. 

Exactly. I knew there was a reason I took such a visceral dislike to her.

I want to make the Red Team's creamy cauliflower polenta.

I want to make the Red Team's creamy cauliflower polenta.

ha ha, I don't want to make it, I want to eat it. All of the Cirque food looked delicious.

Considering the truly awful dishes she's produced, Jen is delusional.  I totally felt sorry for Line.  She didn't make good choices for her team, but she was smart enough to dial it back when she saw her dictatorial approach wasn't working.  I don't blame her for saving herself.

All of those meat pies looked delcious.  I was surprised Tammy, whom I consider such a strong competitior, didn't do well. 

Considering the truly awful dishes she's produced, Jen is delusional.  I totally felt sorry for Line.  She didn't make good choices for her team, but she was smart enough to dial it back when she saw her dictatorial approach wasn't working.  I don't blame her for saving herself.

I wish I could watch a competition series where I didn't want someone to disappear off the face of the earth.  But there's always one.  Line and her drama was just so FOS.  She treats her team like she's their drill sergeant, barks out orders like she's the executive chef and they're junior sous, saves herself when her leadership causes her team to fail, and then conveniently passes out at just the right time to gain sympathy. 

Jen is delusional but if everyone thinks she's the weakest, she'll keep getting saved until they stop offering saves.  It is kind of crappy that two people get saved, basically arbitrarily, when their work contributed to the team loss.  Not even like other shows where you've earned immunity by winning the previous week.

• Love 1

Line and her drama was just so FOS.  She treats her team like she's their drill sergeant, barks out orders like she's the executive chef and they're junior sous, saves herself when her leadership causes her team to fail, and then conveniently passes out at just the right time to gain sympathy.

Not to beat this to death or to get in an argument, and you probably know more about this than I do, but isn't acting like an exec chef exactly what a team leader should be doing?  Maybe a little pleasanter perhaps, but I wonder if Line wasn't encouraged to play up her military background, which is her distinquishing characteristic.  I don't know if it was editing or what, but it didn't seem like either team really had problems - the red team won because their sides tasted better, and I would suggest that part of that, the great cualiflower soup recovery, was due to one of the judges pointing out the problem.  I guess you can say that Line should have been more open to other food suggestions (ie, strssing better tasting food rather than healthy stuff, although I would have thought that Cirque folks were into healthy eating), but that seems a bit like hindisight to me.

David looks like a contender.  His Truffle Agnolotti sounded fabulous.  Can't believe how stupid Michael and Cody's dishes were.  Kevin was on the right track to use eggs but he botched it horribly with his carrot puree and his egg hanging off the plate.

Nice to see young Eric again, winner of Season 1, and to hear that he is now a professional chef.

• Love 1

It really was good to see Eric again. Truffles are so tricky; there's very little middle ground with that ingredient.

I suppose every food show casting director thinks they need a person like Cody. I'd be happy without that, quite frankly.

• Love 1

Those piazzas looked great, except too much Jennifer.  She's pretty boastful for someone who's produced some pretty awful dishes.  I know the purpose of the show is to hype up the drama by making it look like everyone's got a chance (or may be eliminated), but she really is the weakest link, in my opinion.  Of course, some of the others put up awful dishes, too, but not as consistently as her.

I don't watch a lot of cooking shows, but even I know not to use truffle oil.  I would have a lot more confidence in the show's integrity if Cody had been sent home, because his dish looked (and apparently tasted) completely unappealing.

It was a pleasure to see Eric, who seems like a genuinely nice person.

• Love 2

So Line, who has repeatedly told us of her tough military background, and how it makes her a leader and immune to stress.

Yet when she was a team leader she did nothing but bark orders, and not take into consideration anyones opinions but her own. A real leader knows there is more to being a leader than giving orders.

Then when the challenge is over, she gets a case of the vapors, and faints like a female in a 1930's movie, amazingly putting her arms out to break her fall, which is not what happens with a real fainting spell. So much for being able to handle the stress of this show. She should have been eliminated on the spot. The sooner she leaves the better.

Finally, the dude wth the bizarre hairdo and the even more bizarre fashion sense. His cooking is usually as awful as his clothing choices, but not as bad as his hairdo. Is there anyone who thinks that is an attractive look? Who the heck is his barber, Ray Charles?